Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat

im going to make beef stew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat

i did it

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

looks fantastic

Robot Made of Meat

It's definitely beef stew weather.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.

hamjobs posted:

I still do most of those weird rural food safety things. And I still eat beans off the vine even though I know it's bad, and raw slices of sweet potato as we're cutting then to dry. I have accepted I'll probably die of egg borne hhhhhh meatchlamydia or something, but it's worked so far so maybe it's okay? Ehhh?

:ssh: same and I only got food poisoning once ok it was the drat pasta

is the gas fridge the monitor top??? ive only seen one. the old fam went from no fridge to relatively modern fridge in the 60s

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

Robot Made of Meat

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

:ssh: same and I only got food poisoning once ok it was the drat pasta

is the gas fridge the monitor top??? ive only seen one. the old fam went from no fridge to relatively modern fridge in the 60s

The GE Monitor Top was electric. Gas fridges had to have the works down below. Servel was the big maker.

POOL IS CLOSED

whoaaaaa

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Ours was I THINK a Serv? I can't remember, my aunt put giant sixties flower decals on it and it was loud as gently caress but also if you've never had a gas-chilled Peach Nehi, buddy--you should do it.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Also: this was like 1987 and we were excited about a gas fridge.

Childhood!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I also remember when we got a real running water, not pump sink, and was loving fascinated on not having to pump well water.

POOL IS CLOSED

i was amazed when the pump water was cleaner than the city water lmao. red mud or rust was always in the farmhouse water. it was really gross and now I have a lot of weird subconscious associations!

tepache came out niiice

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

i was amazed when the pump water was cleaner than the city water lmao. red mud or rust was always in the farmhouse water. it was really gross and now I have a lot of weird subconscious associations!

tepache came out niiice

Want that tepache!!!

My favorite memory: green stamps you could trade for grocery bux instead so once time a year we got freaking pomegranates. Also my mom got a whole rear end brisket somehow from green stamps.

joke_explainer

I grew up in a city and can’t even imagine having anything but pristine water out of a tap. Really interesting hearing about your experiences. It’s just so different. Sorry if I sound insultingly naïve, just the limitations placed on day to day life sound so punishing. Yet you describe a pretty amazing food culture. It reminds me of one of my favorite cookbooks, “A Taste of Country Cooking” by Edna Lewis, who details the cuisine of Freetown, a small Virginia farming community populated by former slaves. It’s full of amazing recipes I can reproduce... at an astounding premium. Like, it’s like, oh, we’d have a goose as a special occasion meal. We’d go outside and throw a rock at a goose. Free goose. But like duck breast here is $30 dollars a pound. A goose is like sixty or eighty bucks.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

jesus fucknuts, $30 a pound for duck?! i...do i need to mail you some goose? for real?

also y'all ain't lived until you quit eating meat because the only meat your family brings home is squirrel because it's the dead of winter and even the deer are holed up.

poverty goat

joke_explainer posted:

I grew up in a city and can’t even imagine having anything but pristine water out of a tap. Really interesting hearing about your experiences. It’s just so different. Sorry if I sound insultingly naïve, just the limitations placed on day to day life sound so punishing. Yet you describe a pretty amazing food culture. It reminds me of one of my favorite cookbooks, “A Taste of Country Cooking” by Edna Lewis, who details the cuisine of Freetown, a small Virginia farming community populated by former slaves. It’s full of amazing recipes I can reproduce... at an astounding premium. Like, it’s like, oh, we’d have a goose as a special occasion meal. We’d go outside and throw a rock at a goose. Free goose. But like duck breast here is $30 dollars a pound. A goose is like sixty or eighty bucks.

this is why you just go shoot your own goose

geese are dicks anyway

alnilam

Hunting goose is surprisingly hard. You think it's easy cause city/park geese literally come up and attack you, but out where hunting is allowed they are surprisingly hard to find, and wary of people.

poverty goat

alnilam posted:

Hunting goose is surprisingly hard. You think it's easy cause city/park geese literally come up and attack you, but out where hunting is allowed they are surprisingly hard to find, and wary of people.

the hardest thing about it is waking up at the crack of dawn and sitting in a cold rear end blind waiting for some geese

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 14, 2019

itty bitty baby boy

how do you do that thing with colored text in this box
Hey do any of you have a New York Times cooking subscription? They just released a bunch of "no-recipe recipes" and I really like them: https://cooking.nytimes.com/68861692-nyt-cooking/14326423-no-recipe-recipes . It's all a bunch of stuff I wouldn't normally cook, but I have all the ingredients lying around, and it's explicitly not scary to cook it. Cool!!

FutonForensic

i don't eat paradoxes as a rule. but thank u for sharing.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

poverty goat posted:

the hardest thing about it is waking up at the crack of dawn and sitting in a cold rear end blind waiting for some geese

:agreed:

the second hardest thing about hunting geese is that you will definitely have to piss the entire time you're out there because you will run out of coffee 2.5 minutes after arriving, trying to stay warm.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

also because of this thread, tomorrow i am roasting a whole goose in hot honey and cider sauce, the goose stuffed with apples, root vegetables and obv butter.

also i'm loving around with a goat cheese souffle that is maybe gonna be my "souffle for dummies" for this thread.

poverty goat

FutonForensic posted:

i don't eat paradoxes as a rule. but thank u for sharing.

sounds like a good way to end up skinnyfat

poverty goat

also when is the byob fine dining thread goose hunting trip

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

poverty goat posted:

right after the sheep and wool festival

Robot Made of Meat

poverty goat posted:

the crack of dawn

That's where they found Tony Orlando.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Robot Made of Meat posted:

That's where they found Tony Orlando.

too soon

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

poverty goat posted:

get in the van, i want to try making a big rear end goose in the smoker and also we can render the fat for frites :getin:

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

opioid agonist posted:

right after the sheep and wool festival

still waiting on photographic evidence of the god damned sheep and their loving wool, BO PEP

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

weird question: if i wanted to render down my own vegetable fats, what are good vege to start with? flaxseed seems like an obvious choice (because i have a fuckload of it from growing flax to spin), plus it's oily. nut fats?

poverty goat

definitely gonna need bo pep and his rye on the goose hunting trip

poverty goat

tartine style french toast, served w/ powdered sugar, blueberries & peach preserves

Tartine Bread posted:

Ingredients

3 eggs
2 tablespoons sugar
zest of one lemon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk

2 slices day-old country bread, cut into 1 1/2-inch thick slices
2 tablespoons butter

Instructions

Whisk together the eggs, sugar, lemon zest, vanilla, salt and milk. Place the bread slices in the custard base and let stand until the bread is saturated, about 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Place rack in middle of oven.
Heat an oven-proof skillet (cast-iron skillet works great) over medium-low heat. (Note: really be patient here and keep the heat at medium-low.) Melt the butter to coat the bottom of the pan. Lift each bread slice from the custard base and place in the pan. Cook the slices for about 3 minutes, occasionally pressing them against the bottom of the pan with a spatula so the bottoms cook evenly. This step seals the bottoms of the slices by cooking the outer layer of custard base. It also prepares the bread for receiving more custard base.
Spoon or ladle more custard base into the center of each bread slice. If the liquid leaks out of the bread and onto the skillet, the bread slices are not quite sealed. Continue cooking for 1 minute, pressing the slices slightly to seal. Transfer the skillet to the oven’s middle rack — do not flip over the slices.
Bake the slices for 12 to 15 minutes. (Note: I find 15 to 20 minutes or even a few minutes more than 20 to be a better length of time — at 12 to 15 minutes, my slices are still soggy in the center. Definitely check the slices at 15 minutes, however. The book notes that it may take up to 20 minutes depending on the thickness of the bread for the slices to cook all the way through.) The French toast is done when the custard seems solid and each slice appears inflated, as the custard souflées when fully cooked.
Using a spatula, remove the French toast from the skillet and place them, caramelized-side up onto plates. The skillet side should be caramelized and crisp.

tripled the recipe and only had one lemon so I added the zest of an orange and it turned out REALLY good

Manifisto

poverty goat posted:

tartine style french toast, served w/ powdered sugar, blueberries & peach preserves

tripled the recipe and only had one lemon so I added the zest of an orange and it turned out REALLY good

brb building time machine to buy a loaf of country bread yesterday so I can make this today

ty nesamdoom!

Subjunctive

✨sparkle and shine✨

Manifisto posted:

brb building time machine to buy a loaf of country bread yesterday so I can make this today

dry the slices out in a super-low oven for a bit, it’ll help

Robot Made of Meat

Subjunctive posted:

dry the slices out in a super-low oven for a bit, it’ll help

My house came with an oven that was so low that they built a little pedestal for it.

Robot Made of Meat

This French Toast looks delicious, but it seems to be a pain in the perdu to make.

Manifisto

My house came with an oven that was so low that they built a little pedestal for it.

This French Toast looks delicious, but it seems to be a pain in the perdu to make.

ty nesamdoom!

poverty goat

It's worth it

Manifisto

so today I picked up some beeswax from the honey stand at the farmer's market. the idea is to (at some point soon) try making Canelés de Bordeaux using a recipe that allows me to use plain ol' muffin tins instead of the cool but expensive authentic molds. like if I thought I might make these semi-regularly or even once in a blue moon the molds might be worth it, but I'm not gonna stuff my kitchen cabinet with something I never use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH1RwkrHPvA

I had a canelé fairly recently from a fancy bakery and it was really good, the textural contrast between the exterior and interior is quite unique. I'm not expecting mine to turn out as good as the fancy bakery's, but we'll see I guess!

ty nesamdoom!

alnilam

This weekend we made the traditional food of my wife's people - Cincinnati style chili. If oyu've never had this before, it has a lot of regular chili spices with some substantial secret ingredients like cocoa and cinnamon and anise (apparently it's loosely based on uh pastitsio i think). Also it's fairly thin in consistency and served atop mac with a mountain of cheddar cheese on top and other things that you put on top too.

Their ancestral word for "ingredients" is "ways" so we had 5 "ways" on our chili.

The way of the onion.
The way of the bean.
The way of the cheese.
The way of the chili.
The way of the pasta.

The last 2 are kind of funny to me because they are the base of the meal itself, so I guess if you had 0-way chili it would be an empty bowl which sort of makes sense. I guess.

anyway we made it with ground venison and used good cheese on top and it was v good thanks for reading

ty manifisto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I made hummus, but used sesame seeds instead of tahini. I feel that given the ease of storage and lack of perishability, sesame seeds are a good substitute for tahini. What is the difference between the two of them? I don't really notice anything in terms of taste and texture.