Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Echophonic posted:

So people can talk about Dan Harmon's trainwreck of a personal life and his podcast.

That's right; a new podcast episode should be coming out today! :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

prefect posted:

That's right; a new podcast episode should be coming out today! :neckbeard:

If i was that excited about sitting on my couch and listening to Dan Harmon talk about bullshit for a couple hours... well id seriously re-evaluate my life

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Austrian mook posted:

Why is this thread around? :gas:

Austrian mook posted:

If i was that excited about sitting on my couch and listening to Dan Harmon talk about bullshit for a couple hours... well id seriously re-evaluate my life

You're really picking up the slack after Irish Joe got banned.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

El Tortuga posted:

You're really picking up the slack after Irish Joe got banned.

Austrian mook posted:

No its not. Irish Joe is right, as usual.

:allears:

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Austrian mook posted:

HEY! I sit in my CAR and listen to Dan Harmon talk about bullshit for a couple hours!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Harmontown has been a dire, dire podcast for going on half a year or more now

and i say this as one of its biggest fans for almost 2 years

it's some rough, dull, unfunny stuff nowadays

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Although I still enjoy Harmontown, I can recognize the general decline in quality. I think there are chiefly three reasons why: Shadowrun, which is basically always bad because no one seems to actually enjoy it and it feels forced (also Demorge); the loss of Kumail as a show standard; and the reliance on celebrity guests nowadays, which seems to be a consequence of the show's attempt to monetize with the video stream. Some guests are loving incredible (like Paget Brewster) and some are just kind of there and interfere with the dynamic of the show but Dan keeps bringing them on in order to justify charging $5 a month for the premium subscription.

However, recent developments like losing Erin as a standard might be a good thing in the long run. Erin was fine most of the time but she was never the funniest part of the show and since she she left Dan has been on loving fire. The last few episodes (except for the NY show, which is understandable) have been amazing.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

The Dark One posted:

Britta's mangled aphorisms are based on one of Harmon's exes. :allears:
"Good riddance" used in that way made both perfect sense and no sense. If the show were still going, I could see that getting shoved into a script somehow.

That story was great, Dan constantly getting Schrab-d was great, this was a great episode because of Schrab, Schrab for permanent guest.

Space_Butler fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 6, 2015

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Space_Butler posted:

"Good riddance" used in that way made both perfect sense and no sense. If the show were still going, I could see that getting shoved into a script somehow.

That story was great, Dan constantly getting Schrab-d was great, this was a great episode because of Schrab, Schrab for permanent guest.

Schrab is a national treasure, but I'm not sure Dan's heart could handle the stress of having him on every week.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

prefect posted:

Schrab is a national treasure, but I'm not sure Dan's heart could handle the stress of having him on every week.

Yeah, a Schrab overload would definitely take the sails off his boat.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

They managed to make Alison Brie appear even younger.
https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CSeS5qrUsAAz4ez.mp4

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
All I want is an episode where Schrab and Mitch Herwitz are both guesting. I just want to see the man who prides himself on how frazzled people can get (mainly Dan) meet the chillest celebrity guest to date. It's the Unflappable subject meeting the perpetually Flapping force.

And Kumail because he's always fun.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SomeJazzyRat posted:

All I want is an episode where Schrab and Mitch Herwitz are both guesting. I just want to see the man who prides himself on how frazzled people can get (mainly Dan) meet the chillest celebrity guest to date. It's the Unflappable subject meeting the perpetually Flapping force.

And Kumail because he's always fun.

One of my favorite episodes was when Schrab was on for a Scud anniversary, and Hurwitz and Kumail busted his balls and it was fantastic. Schrab is great when people are beating up on him; he's so good at being the victim.

Edit: episode 87, "Kiss Doesn't Get the Joke" http://podbay.fm/show/542228532/e/1390849890

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Dan Harmon update: he seems to be seriously saying he's going to order a new Real Doll and stop dating. :ohdear:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

prefect posted:

Dan Harmon update: he seems to be seriously saying he's going to order a new Real Doll and stop dating. :ohdear:

Keep us updated on the internet celeb starting on the long path to suicide

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

prefect posted:

To... to replace an existing one? :gonk:

Train Surgeon
Jan 14, 2012

prefect posted:

The real question is who it'll be a lookalike of?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Klungar posted:

He's talked about it before; he had one some years ago, along with a couple of mannequins.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Klungar posted:

New vs preowned.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Klungar posted:

The old one is full.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

he's done this before; his last RealDoll broke due to overuse (Apparently the head fell off)

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I'm shocked that Dan Harmon is a lifeless piece of poo poo

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

he's done this before; his last RealDoll broke due to overuse (Apparently the head fell off)

Wasn't there a point where he was jump humping a mannequin leg because the pantyhose was what he was really into?

Austrian mook posted:

And yet it's Schrab who didn't learn to properly wipe his rear end well into his adulthood.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh my loving god is Dan Harmon literally The Dean?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Dan Harmon is bits of all of them. Also combined with a particular person from his life.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

The Dark One posted:

Wasn't there a point where he was jump humping a mannequin leg because the pantyhose was what he was really into?

And yet it's Schrab who didn't learn to properly wipe his rear end well into his adulthood.

You cant just say these two things and leave me hanging. Im going to need to know details

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Austrian mook posted:

You cant just say these two things and leave me hanging. Im going to need to know details

The mannequin thing made it into the season three episode Competitive Ecology. The Schrab thing starts with him not being properly toilet trained, having a horrible realization in his 20s, then becoming obsessed with cleanliness to the point that he scalded his taint.

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 12, 2015

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Austrian mook posted:

I went to the Harmontown Panel at last year's NYC Comic Con. He is just garbage.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

The Dark One posted:

The mannequin thing made it into the season three episode Competitive Ecology. The Schrab thing starts with him not being properly toilet trained, having a horrible realization in his 20s, then becoming obsessed with cleanliness to the point that he scalded his taint.

Jesus loving Christ... is this par for the course for this podcast? O.o

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Those a probably the most extreme examples but stuff like that comes up from time to time, yeah. The episode about the mannequin legs is actually really great.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
He's talking about toweling his rear end off in front of his freinds and the towel is completely soaked in poo poo. :wtc:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
He just feels lovely and thinks that it's impossible for him to have a healthy productive relationship, so he's removing himself from the dating pool by more efficiently masturbating. There's a lot of layers at work here.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Dr_Amazing posted:

He just feels lovely and thinks that it's impossible for him to have a healthy productive relationship, so he's removing himself from the dating pool by more efficiently masturbating. There's a lot of layers at work here.

Most of them are self-loathing.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

To be fair his self-loathing isn't far off the mark; he seems like a spectacularly lovely person to be in a relationship with, compounded further by the fact that he knows his own limitations but refuses to address them

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Toxxupation posted:

To be fair his self-loathing isn't far off the mark; he seems like a spectacularly lovely person to be in a relationship with, compounded further by the fact that he knows his own limitations but refuses to address them

Didn't say it wasn't warranted. Honestly, though, him being fully aware of the poo poo that's wrong with him makes it worse. I tapered off Harmontown when I realized he was neither exaggerating his faults to be funny or putting in any effort to do better. He seems to think being the first to call out his behavior is enough, and it got depressing.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Wow that last podcast sounded like it was being done at gunpoint. I've never heard a guest sound so uncomfortable.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Dr_Amazing posted:

Wow that last podcast sounded like it was being done at gunpoint. I've never heard a guest sound so uncomfortable.

Yeah, though that isn't really on Dan, part of Aubrey Plaza's whole thing is making whoever's interviewing her feel like they're pulling teeth.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Crindee posted:

Yeah, though that isn't really on Dan, part of Aubrey Plaza's whole thing is making whoever's interviewing her feel like they're pulling teeth.

Dan sounded crushingly depressed between Aubrey Plaza and Shadowrun. At least the guy who had gum surgery cheered him up a little. :unsmith:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Crindee posted:

Her thing is acting disinterested, not acting like she's considering faking a heart attack to get off the podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I remember listening to one of the Harmontowns with Erin on it and the whole time it felt like stacking cards. Was really uncomfortable.

• Locked thread