Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

T1g4h posted:

What actually happened that immobilized him, anyways?

An early hit warped his top armor and then a big hit made him blow a drive chain on one side and after driving around on his side for a while he finally flipped over onto the side that had the warped armor plate which stopped his functioning wheels from touching the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Oh, Minotaur, my little Brazilian murder machine, I was sure you would go all the way.

But it was pretty awesome and hilarious to see Mike Jefferies's post-march interview. You can see it sinking in as he talks - "Holy poo poo, I just beat Minotaur. Holy poo poo, I just beat loving Minotaur!"

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

That finale was extremely loving cool. I watched it with a bunch of friends who hadn't seen battlebots before and they were absolutely enamored. It was a lot of fun.

In other news, Fantasy Battlebots

Right now we're tied between B4TBG and Pakled. But, I have yet to count any of the rumbles. There was one shown in the finale, but 5 more rumbles are going to be put on youtube, When those are done, I'm going to update the scores.

Matchups:

Stinger vs Lockjaw vs Ghost Raptor
Ringmaster vs Overdrive vs Bad Kitty
Overhaul vs Sawblaze vs Road Rash

Plus two others we don't know about

I appreciate how these matchups are themed.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Watched it from the Hurricane area with only one preemption :smug: Of course, I had it recorded so when an actual live emergency alert popped up, I thought it was programming and not something directly piped to my cable box and tried to fast forward.

In any case, RIP Bronco, I thought you'd fare better against a drum spinner, but alas.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My tv app says there were 3 episodes last night but there is only one two hour episode on my DVR. Which one is right?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Neither, there were two one hour episodes back to back.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

wormil posted:

My tv app says there were 3 episodes last night but there is only one two hour episode on my DVR. Which one is right?

Xfinity has it as one two-hour special, it's both parts of the final.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I was hoping for a royal rumble. 20 bots at once!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PostNouveau posted:

I was hoping for a royal rumble. 20 bots at once!

20 megatentos enter, probably 20 megatentos leave.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

20 megatentos enter, probably 20 megatentos leave.

To be fair, some of the ladybugs might get a little bent.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Great Beer posted:

Neither, there were two one hour episodes back to back.

Okay, thanks!

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Bombshell preventing the Tombstone v Minotaur match is further proof goons ruin everything.

Seriously though, they've become one of my favorite teams over the course of this season. Hope you guys come back.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Just caught up with the episode. Goddamn, there were some fine fights in there.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

That was very fun to watch and it was kind of nice to see Tombstone struggle to get through those first 2 matches before dominating the final.

I am also glad that they were already talking of a 3rd season during the matches!

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]
I'm really sad that Minotaur lost. I thought that it was the perfect bot. Props to goonbot for making it so far.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Goonbot had exactly the right shape to inconvenience Minotaur.

My heart sank when their weapon was the wrong height in that first exchange with Tombstone. I knew that instant they missed... their robot would become a clusterbot again very quickly.

I'm glad that they humiliated Poison Arrow, after it knocked out my favorite robot, Hypershock. Poetic justice. And I'm glad they beat Minotaur. I really wasn't sure that anyone could up until then, and that robot frankly terrifies me.

The Whole Internet fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 3, 2016

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I'm curious why Tombstone didn't start the match upside down. Bombshell couldn't get its weapon low enough to hit the chain then, right? And Tombstone would have been the perfect height to hit Bombshell's weapon pod.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Whole Internet posted:

I'm glad that they humiliated Poison Arrow, after it knocked out my favorite robot, Hypershock. Poetic justice. And I'm glad they beat Minotaur. I really wasn't sure that anyone could up until then, and that robot frankly terrifies me.

Is your favourite robot Hypershock or are you a bad person

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

GuavaMoment posted:

I'm curious why Tombstone didn't start the match upside down. Bombshell couldn't get its weapon low enough to hit the chain then, right? And Tombstone would have been the perfect height to hit Bombshell's weapon pod.

Presumably it's because all bots have to start in their colored box, forward facing and right side up

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I can't wait to see Goonbot's write up on their blog.

I do wish some of the match ups went the other way like Stinger or Bite force so we could see some epic matches later on, but them's the breaks. And I love that rumble even with just 3 bots, it was hard hitting, Shaman exploding, and Wrecks even did a thing.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!
I'm so proud of you Beta :britain:

To be honest all of the fights were great, and as much as Ray Billings is the man you love to hate, I think he really deserves to take the championship, Tombstone really looks like it's improved this year.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Good job goonbot, no shame in losing to Tombstone. That thing is loving terrifying. Taking out equally terrifying Minotaur and making it to the finals was a hell of a run.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

It makes me want to go to Robogames next year. I want to see what these bots look and sound like arena side. Plus get to see Tombstone and Minotaur's slightly smaller brothers.

landofcake
May 7, 2009

CANNONBALL TAFFY O' JONES!!!

halokiller posted:

It makes me want to go to Robogames next year. I want to see what these bots look and sound like arena side. Plus get to see Tombstone and Minotaur's slightly smaller brothers.

Isn't Last Rites heavier than Tombstone?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Robogames HW is 220 lbs, Battlebots is 250 lbs.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

Presumably it's because all bots have to start in their colored box, forward facing and right side up

As long as they can move and are inside their square, bots have no restrictions on starting orientation. Notice that tombstone usually starts at an angle to dodge box rushes.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
According to their facebook page, Red Devil won the "best designer" award, as voted by the teams that participated in the tournament.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Pakled posted:

According to their facebook page, Red Devil won the "best designer" award, as voted by the teams that participated in the tournament.

Minotaur won most destructive and HyperShock won best driver

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Is your favourite robot Hypershock or are you a bad person

How dare you accuse me of having a favorite robot other than Hypershock.

http://i.imgur.com/MGbszfl.gifv

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pakled posted:

Red Devil was a really cool bot and I wish it made it further than it did.

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Don't worry Brits, I also love Beta.

https://fat.gfycat.com/VapidContentAurochs.webm

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Whole Internet posted:

How dare you accuse me of having a favorite robot other than Hypershock.

http://i.imgur.com/MGbszfl.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/X4haW2C.gifv

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

This was still the best part of the whole season.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

It was nice of warrior to sit still and do nothing while they were beating up its drone.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm catching up on this season of Battlebots and actually came here to post about to post about how great the rake was. I guess I'll also say how amazing the Humanoid vs Dragon fight looked too.

Also I found a comment from team Carbide in the Reddit thread pretty interesting re: the design differences between Robot Wars and Battlebots. The fact that you have 4-ways in Robot Wars puts a much bigger emphasis on defense, since you can't just plan to always point your weapon at your opponent. So almost everything is completely encased in armor, unlike Battlebots which has quite a few high-seeded competitors with exposed wheels.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Robot Wars also puts a way bigger emphasis on the drive instead of "how much weight can I spend on my weapon?", because if your opponent can just push you around, you're going straight into the pit or the house bots.

Meanwhile in Battlebots, the only box weapon I think has ever done any damage at all was the screws, and that was just pinning them into a KO rather than actually disabling them. The pulverizer looks cool, but it doesn't seem like it does any damage at all. So pushing is way less of a threat.

Which is a shame, because fights like Beta vs. Tombstone show how big of a difference drive + driver skill make. Tombstone was completely outplayed, and if it were Robot Wars, would have been an easy pit KO for Beta, but because the arena is so innocuous it didn't matter.

AbrahamLincolnLog fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 4, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I think something as simple as adding a few pylons to the center of the arena would do wonders for encouraging driver skill.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wow the top 8 matches were really amazing. Shoutout to Minotaur for having what appeared to be a reasonable amount of control while riding around on one side.

Also, the robot that moves like a drunken fawn almost won its rumble

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Battlebots just started in the uk.
Holy fuckin poo poo lads.
It's absolutely mint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Robot Wars also puts a way bigger emphasis on the drive instead of "how much weight can I spend on my weapon?", because if your opponent can just push you around, you're going straight into the pit or the house bots.

They used to have an ever bigger emphasis, holding tug of war and sumo matches to specifically show off the bots' drive power.

• Locked thread