Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Captain Log posted:

Does Floyd "The Most Hateable Athlete on Earth" have any fans? At all? He seems to be a pretty repugnant dude.

Does one of the greatest boxers ever have fans? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

KyloWinter posted:

It's like being in the womb again.

Is that what he's saying in Gaelic?
It sounds like, "ser minruihv toium"

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Captain Log posted:

Uh, what am I missing here?

I agree with the statement but still think Floyd has a corrosive philosophy on life that he eagerly spreads.

gently caress, I'm even alright with Mike God Damned Tyson.

mike tyson is awesome, i have a lot of respect for him

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

kimbo305 posted:

Is that what he's saying in Gaelic?
It sounds like, "ser minruihv toium"

Gaelic is a made up language comparable to Welsh.

He's saying, "Oi bugger me, footy footy footy."

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Lid posted:

If Mayweather wins by KO that may be the most shocking and hilarious result.

You think a champion professional boxer knocking out a 0-0 amateur who picked up the sport a couple weeks ago would be shocking?

DaFrugalGamer
Aug 6, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

sum posted:

You think a champion professional boxer knocking out a 0-0 amateur who picked up the sport a couple weeks ago would be shocking?

McGregor has been boxing his while life, and does MMA. If mayweather tried his hugging technique on McGregor there is gonna be a big surprise for him, and not the good kind.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

DaFrugalGamer posted:

McGregor has been boxing his while life, and does MMA. If mayweather tried his hugging technique on McGregor there is gonna be a big surprise for him, and not the good kind.

He gets taken down and wins by DQ?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
If Conor "accidentally" trips Mayweather exiting a clinch, what typically happens?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

DaFrugalGamer posted:

Fair enough, wanna toxx on this

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

DaFrugalGamer posted:

McGregor has been boxing his while life, and does MMA.
While MMA fighters do boxing sparring as part of their training, it's pretty primitive, and doesn't give you the vocabulary to hang with a pro boxer under the boxing ruleset.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
For example, no MMA fighter has ever learned to yell "form voltron" for no reason. So thats some vocabulary right there. Also apparently in boxing you can still call people faggots so thats another big one. I don't think conor can hang.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Work Friend Keven posted:

So thats some vocabulary right there. Also apparently in boxing you can still call people faggots so thats another big one.

I coulda been a contender lol

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

For example, no MMA fighter has ever learned to yell "form voltron" for no reason.

It still does my nut in that this is a real thing that Floyd said.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
Conor will win.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Speaking of, has there been any kind of late onslaught of betting action on Mayweather yet? Last I read all the bookmakers are up poo poo creek without a paddle if Conor wins.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DaFrugalGamer posted:

So has Floyd, in a far more literal and accurate sense, and does boxing, which is the sport it's actually going to be contested in.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Log posted:

Does Floyd "The Most Hateable Athlete on Earth" have any fans? At all? He seems to be a pretty repugnant dude.

People who read the results of fights in the news or spend the fight at the bar and barely pay attention. Technical skill be damned, Mayweather is boring as gently caress.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

For example, no MMA fighter has ever learned to yell "form voltron" for no reason. So thats some vocabulary right there. Also apparently in boxing you can still call people faggots so thats another big one. I don't think conor can hang.

he's really used to wrestling all sweaty with men

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
"legitimate ex-gangster 50 Cent"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Noctone posted:

Speaking of, has there been any kind of late onslaught of betting action on Mayweather yet? Last I read all the bookmakers are up poo poo creek without a paddle if Conor wins.

Not really. Most bets are on McGregor right now but overwhelmingly the most money is on Mayweather.

So yeah if Conor wins they'll have to pay a lot of big payouts, but the sheer amount of money on Floyd should balance it out. I don't think they'll take the Holm bath again.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Volkerball posted:

People who read the results of fights in the news or spend the fight at the bar and barely pay attention. Technical skill be damned, Mayweather is boring as gently caress.

I like watching Mayweather fight.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

big money big clit posted:

I like watching Mayweather fight.

They have to do more slow-mo when he's fighting. He's so fast I can't see all of the poo poo he does.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
How could you know? He's never done it. Just boxed.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Mr. Nice! posted:

Not really. Most bets are on McGregor right now but overwhelmingly the most money is on Mayweather.

So yeah if Conor wins they'll have to pay a lot of big payouts, but the sheer amount of money on Floyd should balance it out. I don't think they'll take the Holm bath again.

Not true in all cases. MGM's VP is on record saying this could be their worst less ever unless late money comes in on Mayweather. And I was just reading earlier that an Australian bookmaker is still at 80% money on Conor as of today.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Mayweather beat his wife in front of his kids so I hope Conor kills him. With a gun.

I'd pay $150 to watch that replay.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Noctone posted:

Not true in all cases. MGM's VP is on record saying this could be their worst less ever unless late money comes in on Mayweather. And I was just reading earlier that an Australian bookmaker is still at 80% money on Conor as of today.

then why arent they adjusting the odds more to get some money on floyd? that makes no sense

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'll be watching this at a friend's place so technically I'll be supporting this fight financially, ugh.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Skip My Posts posted:

then why arent they adjusting the odds more to get some money on floyd? that makes no sense

I believe they have been. I think the consensus is that "smart" bettors are hoping to see the odds come down even more before they dump money on Floyd.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Skip My Posts posted:

yeah, this.

i always thought the odds aren't intended to reflect the chances of one fighter or the other, but are used to steer money one way or the other in order to balance the money pool equally between the two choices. In a binary bet, Vegas makes it's money from the vig.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
https://twitter.com/paddypower/status/900383901197193217

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Noctone posted:

I believe they have been. I think the consensus is that "smart" bettors are hoping to see the odds come down even more before they dump money on Floyd.

drat

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
McGregor gets the immediate DQ when he punches Floyd square in the dick and stomps him in the nuts repeatedly, believe it.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Didn't Paddy Power pay out early on Clinton winning the election?

Edit: Yep

https://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/09/after-paying-out-early-on-a-clinton-win-trump-victory-costs-irish-bookmaker-5-million.html

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I don't understand why anybody would pay out early.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
What the hell is the basis for a betting company to pay out early?

Paying out early seems like it'd be anim.. aname... aneth.... kryptonite to a betting company.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Wirth1000 posted:

What the hell is the basis for a betting company to pay out early?

Paying out early seems like it'd be anim.. aname... aneth.... kryptonite to a betting company.

Yes it does seem like anime to a betting company

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

throwing around money like that reassures bettors that they have the money to payout. Esp needed in skittish economic times like these.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Vladimir Putin posted:

I don't understand why anybody would pay out early.

They're trying to encourage spite betting from the bettor pool most likely to overrate McGregor's odds

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
It's cheap promotion and a lot of that money will be going back to them anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgaXubTulRQ

• Locked thread