Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

revtoiletduck posted:

Same here. I often find myself saying "8 minutes is plenty of time" and then getting punished for it.

I take the "more timed orders" modifier all the time and constantly fail them but I can't stop won't stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Do you guys play at normal speed? I find myself playing at 3x all the time and pausing whenever I need to do something but maybe I just need to chill out.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I play at 2x; 3x feels too fast to me. I’m not sure why; it just feels off.

I pause all the time, though. And I’ve always been someone who plays games extremely slowly.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Installed the game on my laptop but the save hasn't synced. Hope the save is still recoverable on my main PC

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

2x speed feels about right for me, pause whenever I want to plan out a bunch of buildings or juggle some work assignments, but not that often.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
I played at 3x for ages and it didn't feel too fast but then I went down to 2x and consistently shaved a year or more off my settlements so now I play at 2x.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Timed orders gently caress me up I got one to do a dangerous glade event and so I rushed a burn down the statue that reduces hostility when villagers die or leave and two years later I’ve found no found and everyone is abandoning me and if I had the drat statue I’d be fine but hey at least I have +5 to a jerky recipe only one of my species would have liked if I even could make it outside the field kitchen.

Just a bit grumpy as this is on the 10 prestige seal after I got to it with 58 seal fragments last time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I once picked a timed order from my first set to get lizards to 18 resolve for 30 seconds. Sounds tough, especially since I was doing the event where you start with no food, but I only had two lizards. I actually got them up to 18 before the first storm. But while I was waiting for the 30 seconds to pass, I turned in another order which gave me more lizards, which lowered their resolve and reset the timer so I failed it. Then I also failed my other timed order (two dangerous glade events) because I needed the food from the lizard order to complete one of them (the other glade event was a blood flower so I had no other food). The event timed out and killed 5 villagers, I lost two more for not paying the glade tax, and then everyone else starved.

And I could have pulled it all off if I had just waited 3 more seconds.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Just because there's a button doesn't mean you have to immediately click it.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If you get a timed order in the first 3 orders with get race X to high resolve, always take it. They're always possible by getting your hearth to level 1 and having housing. Sometimes you might need to lower hostility to 0 or call a merchant to buy coats or comfort food but its always worth it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

Just because there's a button doesn't mean you have to immediately click it.

:wrong:

Gleisdreieck
May 6, 2007
After playing for fifty hours or so I forced myself to uninstall otherwise I don't see this ending well for me. Found myself shifting farmers and rain collectors around, forcing deliveries and timing hostility stack reduction to stop harpies from leaving, and time just flies. For comparison in the Civilization series the number of optimizations you can do are limited within a turn but with AtS it feels endless. Pure addiction, the game is too much fun.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
This game has a way of generating momentum that makes it very hard for me to put down. Feels like every settlement starts out as kind of an unpleasant shitshow, but it gets more compelling as I gradually solve the puzzle of how to win this particular map. I'm almost never able to just close to game mid-settlement, which has led to a few too many late nights.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Any tips for the seal on prestige 5? I thought I had a handle on things but I got absolutely boatraced by hostility and negative resolution. The early timed order to open 2x dangerous glades probably didn't help either.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
Training Weapons/minute is great for seal orders since it means you can clear the first order easy peasy. Since you're on prestige 5 I'd recommend building a trade post and trading through the second and third objective since you should be swimming in amber once it gets off the ground. If you build and power rainwater engines early you should be okay for the "use rainwater/burn cysts" for the final order, though if you're aggressively trading you might be able to do a resolve win just off of calling traders and stuffing everyone's gobs with pies. The "complete two forbidden glades" is also not too bad if you time it for drizzle/clearance, but I would recommend it only if you have the tablets going in.

The beacon tower is nice since you can always deconstruct it for the full value and being able to doordash meat or grain to your settlement is never unwelcome. Same with the forsaken temple -- the cornerstones you can get from it pretty much break the game in half.

Good luck!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I managed to forge the bronze seal last night. Just being aware of the kinds of things you needed to do to complete it helped a lot. Not to mention it was literally one glade over from my starting location.

Though I'm not sure exactly what it does for me. And it seems like I'll have to do it more than once?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Each successive seal is further away from the Citadel. You'll need to beat the seal map on a higher difficulty each time, and you'll also need more Seal Fragments for each one (which likely means you'll have to play on a higher difficulty for other maps too to earn more).

I'd say reforging these seals is the main "objective" of the game as it stands. You also permanently get a few more years before the Blightstorm wipes out all your settlements each time you reforge a seal, so you'll be able to found more settlements and go out further each time.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

The biggest thing for seals is remember hostility goes up per tree you cut down, but the big trees give 20 wood before they fall, while the tiny ones only give two. Therefor keep the glades really tight and in each new glade use the selection tool with shift to just target the big trees to cut down. Most dangerous glades have access to one or two clusters.

Keeps hostility much more manageable!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I had a finished order in the bank, I was just running out the clock to try to get some deeds

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 13, 2024

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I had a finished order in the bank, I was just running out the clock to try to get some deeds

You fool!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Each successive seal is further away from the Citadel. You'll need to beat the seal map on a higher difficulty each time, and you'll also need more Seal Fragments for each one (which likely means you'll have to play on a higher difficulty for other maps too to earn more).

I'd say reforging these seals is the main "objective" of the game as it stands. You also permanently get a few more years before the Blightstorm wipes out all your settlements each time you reforge a seal, so you'll be able to found more settlements and go out further each time.

Ah thats what they meant by the cycle being 8 years rather than 5, you have 3 more settlements.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
Rotting wood mystery is so funny because I just found myself in the same catch-22 I did the first time I encountered it without any other sources of fuel.

1. Oh, I'm running out of wood, I'll assign some woodcutters
2. Rotting wood makes it so I can't gather wood during the storm huh
3. I'll just lower my hostility and sacrifice some wo-gently caress

Then I, elite viceroy, appear at my villager's houses and literally destroy them to set their belongings on fire.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Tom Tucker posted:

The biggest thing for seals is remember hostility goes up per tree you cut down, but the big trees give 20 wood before they fall, while the tiny ones only give two. Therefor keep the glades really tight and in each new glade use the selection tool with shift to just target the big trees to cut down. Most dangerous glades have access to one or two clusters.

Keeps hostility much more manageable!

Yeah so remembering more now, it was a timed order for 2 dangerous glades then immediately after I got hit with the "open up some more glades or people gonna die" curse. Probably should have let that happen rather than rack up the hostility bum rushing 4 large glades before I even had a 3rd hearth down. Good tip on focusing the large trees - do you people use two woodcutting camps?

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Parallelwoody posted:

Yeah so remembering more now, it was a timed order for 2 dangerous glades then immediately after I got hit with the "open up some more glades or people gonna die" curse. Probably should have let that happen rather than rack up the hostility bum rushing 4 large glades before I even had a 3rd hearth down. Good tip on focusing the large trees - do you people use two woodcutting camps?

Yeah I always build 2, but I don’t think I always keep 6 workers in there. Kind of depends on how the map is going or if I have Beavers.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Villagers come every few minutes, but hostility is forever. I rarely am enticed by anything that promises a benefit for opening small glades or opening glades ahead of schedule, and whenever I do go for such a thing I wind up regretting it.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Usually I frontload woodcutting and make two or three camps at the start of the game when there's not much for them to do but later on you really need the extra villagers to do other jobs.

One tip I have if anyone else is not already doing this but try rushing traders to build impatience up earlier. I try to rush a trader before every storm up until it costs too much. Make sure to check the trader timer in clearance because if they arrive on their own you have to wait until they leave before you can call another one but the storm might start by then.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

nrook posted:

Villagers come every few minutes, but hostility is forever. I rarely am enticed by anything that promises a benefit for opening small glades or opening glades ahead of schedule, and whenever I do go for such a thing I wind up regretting it.

Yes but hostility also cranks up every year.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

TheMopeSquad posted:

Usually I frontload woodcutting and make two or three camps at the start of the game when there's not much for them to do but later on you really need the extra villagers to do other jobs.

One tip I have if anyone else is not already doing this but try rushing traders to build impatience up earlier. I try to rush a trader before every storm up until it costs too much. Make sure to check the trader timer in clearance because if they arrive on their own you have to wait until they leave before you can call another one but the storm might start by then.

I'm a little leary on doing this for a seal - does it not bite you in the rear end? Or does the increased impatience balance out with enough hostility reduction to keep resolve up to get through the seal orders?

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I dunno, once you figure them out seals shouldn't take so long that a few extra impatience points would kill you. I do think it's more beneficial on seals though because you can't dump hostility easily and you are forced to open a few glades so early impatience helps negate that.

Also I wanna suggest that, ifs unlocked, the Bath House is super good for seals especially lower difficulty. Tanking the storms because it takes so long for your dudes to leave. Combine it with the beacon tower and can just ignore a harder storm wave.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I have a confession to make. I've completely fallen for the Temple.

Decreasing hostility is one of the best things you can do in the game; it both gets rep in good seasons and prevents various catastrophes during storm season. And the Temple doesn't just decrease hostility; it decreases it more and more as the game goes on. If your pipeline is good enough, it can decrease it so fast that you're losing hostility year-to-year instead of gaining it. It's useful, obviously, but more than being useful it feels amazing. Sacrificing sustainably and seeing hostility go down over time makes me feel like I've broken the game open.

I assume it gets a bit worse at the really high prestiges, where red mana actually matters and there's a clock the Temple doesn't turn off, but in mid prestige I can't stop myself from going for it. In reality I suspect the Temple is only really exciting if you have an infinite and fast source of oil, which will usually come from either the Small Farm or the Plantation plus a good oil recipe. But it's tempting to pick it on spec even if I just have the raw materials and haven't seen the oil recipe yet.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Whatever that lovely lizard one that gives one resolve per ruined building needs a rework ffs.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Temple is also great with Poor Quality Control. That wood is gonna disappear anyway, might as well set it on fire!

KNR
May 3, 2009
The temple suffers a bit more from high prestige also increasing sacrifice costs, but fundamentally it's hard for it to matter when you pretty much need to have already set up an infinite oil sac before it starts doing anything useful. It takes a good while to even match the monastery, and theoretically infinite hostility reduction is funny but doesn't actually help you unless you're stretching the game out to hunt for achievements. If you can set a good temple up, you can almost certainly win within a couple years anyway.

TheMopeSquad posted:

Whatever that lovely lizard one that gives one resolve per ruined building needs a rework ffs.
Not sure I'd call the explorer's lodge lovely. If you're cracking open dangerous glades it's usually going to match the tavern, and sometimes you get a ruined village in a forbidden glade and the lodge gives like +7. But it could use a rework since even with many glades the lodge's reward is very swingy.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

like a card game, you don't complain that you're not being dealt the cards that you want.

hmm, this card game strategy is unfamiliar to me. sounds intriguing.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
I like the one that gives you resolve per 200 complex food consumed. I always seem to already be at like +7 or 8 when it comes up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Just had another settlement wiped out by a blighted caravan. This time because I didn't realize that the burn option spawned two cysts every two minutes per hostility level reached. So I had 48 cysts by the end of it :shepicide:

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

My play style makes Guild House a must pick. I’ve never lost a game where I built it because it’s like a free escalating resolve in the 7-8 range.

Yea at high prestige amber is half as valuable to traders but not to the guild!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I always have to grab a market if I don't have harpies, and sometimes even if I do. +10 global carry capacity makes everything more efficient.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I really gotta train myself to pick up more of the service buildings. Even if you don't have any of the resources they use, you can still get the passive bonus. Way more useful than my fourth type of complex food production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KNR
May 3, 2009

Tom Tucker posted:

My play style makes Guild House a must pick. I’ve never lost a game where I built it because it’s like a free escalating resolve in the 7-8 range.

Yea at high prestige amber is half as valuable to traders but not to the guild!
Instead it's 3/4 as valuable to the guild, since you normally double dip by using trade route amber to buy things from traders which also counts for the guild (and the trade hub cornerstone). Which is still plenty enough to make the guild very good.