Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

The alternative, where any wild card would auto-trigger flower pot, seems overpowered.
it's a x3 multiplier once and building a deck around it makes you vulnerable to the suit debuffers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I guess that’s fair. I still like the idea someone else had of it being 1x for each suit played better than making a card simultaneously count for all suits in a played hand though.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I think smeared joker does actually interract positively with flowerpot, at least.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

bovis posted:

Edit your controller config for the game and bind one of the back buttons to the R key. Hold that down to reset the run

Thank you for this. Works like a charm.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Getting an early Trading Card really pays off.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I skipped a small blind to reroll the boss for my Checkered deck, and it changed from the Eye to the Needle :suicide:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The final unlock sprint:

$400, didn't get a single money tag all game using Anaglyph until the very last one on like ante 9 being double my money. Which when cashed in only got me to $395. Thankfully I realized I could just sell my jokers and be done with it.

100,000K, people will absolutely want me dead for this. First of all, I pull an early Soul card and it immediately gives me the final legendary I was missing - the Kings and Queens X2 one. Well, I then end up pulling a second Soul and it becomes the X5 after x discards one. This was all happening on Plasma deck, so getting to e notation scores didn't take long after I got the latter online.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think having it count all cards played, not just scored would be the best fix
I'd like that for an initial upgrade, might make it somewhat consistent for a High Card build at least

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Every single time I get my economy going in the Omelette challenge it gives me nothing but high card until I lose

:negative:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Blue stake done on Abandoned Deck. It was also the only deck where I had defeated Black Stake so far. It's definitely the deck I feel the most comfortable with, I'll say that much.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

the game sabotages every good build I get on gold stake and then I'm forced to think about my misplays. the only way to get it off my mind is more Balatro. The perfect game.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Hey when you're judging whether or not to skip blinds while trying to unlock the "12 rounds or less" joker, remember that the round number does not go up until the round actually starts. Don't be like me and accidentally gently caress up and forget you said you were gonna skip the last big blind, and then realize you actually hosed up earlier by miscounting.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oh wait, does The Ox pick your most played hand? I thought the game was just being mean to me when I saw it for the first time with Flush on a flush build, but I got a run with it as pair when I was just doing some face card vomit build. (I was playing a lot of pairs when cycling my hands to get full houses and four of a kind so I didnt even need to take a money hit to win the round)

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Oxyclean posted:

Oh wait, does The Ox pick your most played hand? I thought the game was just being mean to me when I saw it for the first time with Flush on a flush build, but I got a run with it as pair when I was just doing some face card vomit build. (I was playing a lot of pairs when cycling my hands to get full houses and four of a kind so I didnt even need to take a money hit to win the round)

Yes, it always picks your most played hand.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Black Deck down

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Oxyclean posted:

On the Blinds page in the Collection you'll see it listed as "Using [most played hand] sets money to $0"

Play it while in debt to get out of it!

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Does Ox change if you change your most played hand after seeing the blinds? Like if I have 5 flushes and 4 straights and see Ox is coming up, can I play two straights to make that the impacted hand?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

im not one to ever throw out rng conspiracy theories out there but theres no loving way wheel of fortune is actually 1 in 4. it feels like a 1 in 10

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

babypolis posted:

im not one to ever throw out rng conspiracy theories out there but theres no loving way wheel of fortune is actually 1 in 4. it feels like a 1 in 10

nope!

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I got up to the ante 7 boss in the Jokerless challenge, using a flush deck. It's starting to seem doable but drat you really need to have amazing luck to get a viable run going. Telescope in particular is just a godsend but even with that you'll still need great cards and the right tarots to boost your deck while also making it good at flushes.

I actually had a godly run where I had level 4 flush by the end of ante 1 and I ruined it by getting greedy and missing a blind by ~100 chips :negative:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Does Ox change if you change your most played hand after seeing the blinds? Like if I have 5 flushes and 4 straights and see Ox is coming up, can I play two straights to make that the impacted hand?

Hell, my most played hand changed while facing the Ox and I wiped myself out. Should've been counting straits.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Oh sweet, The Soul and I'm in Ante 9, maybe I'll unlock one of the three I'm missing.

I was not missing Yorick :negative:

Need to get some good rng soon to push a little, missing a few jokers and a couple of vouchers. Gotta buy more cards.

I had a spectral run where I was getting a lot of good going, Spare Trousers, very early Perkeo... made it to ante 11, but you seem to absolutely need retriggers on retriggers to progress, I think the most red seals I've seen in a run has been two. But I might have been able to do better with this run, focused more on doubling and copying than adding stuff.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
A nice thing for the Ox is that straight flush, flush five, and flush house are all different hands.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Some random questions:

I’ve unlocked every joker except for one Legendary. However, there are two that I still need to purchase in order to get credit. One is “Rough Gem” - $1 for every Diamond played. Is it just bad luck that I haven’t seen it, or does it only show up when I have a shitload of diamonds in my deck?

For Vouchers:

Will Glow Up only appear after I’ve already purchased Hone AND if I have at least 5 Jokers with special abilities? I’ve never even seen it.

Will Antimatter only show if I’ve already purchased Blank? I’ve unlocked it but I’ve only seen it once.

Am I ever going to unlock Illusion? I don’t want to buy 20 piece of poo poo cards from the shop :(

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Aggro posted:

Some random questions:

I’ve unlocked every joker except for one Legendary. However, there are two that I still need to purchase in order to get credit. One is “Rough Gem” - $1 for every Diamond played. Is it just bad luck that I haven’t seen it, or does it only show up when I have a shitload of diamonds in my deck?

For Vouchers:

Will Glow Up only appear after I’ve already purchased Hone AND if I have at least 5 Jokers with special abilities? I’ve never even seen it.

Will Antimatter only show if I’ve already purchased Blank? I’ve unlocked it but I’ve only seen it once.

Am I ever going to unlock Illusion? I don’t want to buy 20 piece of poo poo cards from the shop :(

If you've unlocked a thing, not counting legendary jokers, it has a chance to show up. There are (with some very rare exceptions) no requirements for the thing to show up. In the case of Rough Gem assuming you've unlocked it then it has a chance to show up.

Upgraded vouchers need you to have purchased the base one first. Antimatter won't show up unless you've already bought Blank that run, Glow Up only shows up if you already bought Hone, etc. You don't need to already have 5 special jokers for it though, that's only to unlock it in the first place.

You might as well to fill out the collection. I'm of the opinion that Magic Trick should have fancy cards for sale in the shop and Illusion should make it so they can be fancy in two ways at once (as in, MT can have an enhancement or seal or whatever and Illusion they can have two of those. It would make it a lot more worth it.)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Aggro posted:

Some random questions:

For Vouchers:

Should show at the same rarity as other uncommon ones, don't think there's something special. I got the Hearts one a few runs ago but it wasn't too great for me

Vouchers from what I understand you need to have the base one to get the advanced one, but don't need to "unlock" the advanced one again. So you need Blank to Antimatter, and Hone to get Glow Up, but you don't need 5 foul/mult/poly jokers. As to buying cards, I guess your best bet is being lucky to get it early along with Overstock, but it's cumulative, not in a single run i think. So you can grab as much as you can, when you cab, and work to it

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Serperoth posted:

Should show at the same rarity as other uncommon ones, don't think there's something special. I got the Hearts one a few runs ago but it wasn't too great for me

Vouchers from what I understand you need to have the base one to get the advanced one, but don't need to "unlock" the advanced one again. So you need Blank to Antimatter, and Hone to get Glow Up, but you don't need 5 foul/mult/poly jokers. As to buying cards, I guess your best bet is being lucky to get it early along with Overstock, but it's cumulative, not in a single run i think. So you can grab as much as you can, when you cab, and work to it

Can confirm that it's cumulative and not in a single run.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Piece of ahit cards can also be powerful

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I guess if you play long enough eventually you'll get the card buying voucher on a Hologram run and can go nuts? Probably takes multiple runs though.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

babypolis posted:

You can unzip the executable and check out the source code if you're really curious. I had the same suspicion at first and
, just unlucky.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Humans are really bad at judging what a 25% chance actually is, as it turns out

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I believe 1 in 4 to mean that it should work 99% of the time.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I believe after three failures in a row, the fourth try should be a success, but

The Postman
May 12, 2007

1/4 is 1/2 if it hurts and 1/16 if it helps

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Postman posted:

1/4 is 1/2 if it hurts and 1/16 if it helps

Can confirm, I took a glass joker and had one single break in over a dozen plays

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

the holy poopacy posted:

Can confirm, I took a glass joker and had one single break in over a dozen plays

I had to play a five a kind glass hand while keeping the Oops! All 6s joker to finally get two to break at one time to get that trophy.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

to grind the buy x things from shop unlocks you can just buy or sell the things you need and then return to the main menu. continue the run and you will be back at the shop before you bought stuff, but your unlock counter keeps going up each time. (as long as you didn't change the game state by buying a booster pack!) you're welcome.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I made this because I wanted it, they should make official merch!

https://www.bonfire.com/nope-balatro/

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
So my last run had a pretty fun set of jokers:

Here's what my main hand was by the time I beat the boss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe