Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

fullroundaction posted:

http://therecordingrevolution.com/2016/09/05/this-guy-recorded-a-song-in-his-car-whats-your-excuse/

Not strictly guitar related, but another inspirational "shut up about gear and just get poo poo done" article from my favorite mixing guy/sound engineer. TLDR dude records a great sounding song in his car on his lunch break, so stop worrying about whatever your studio hangups are.

Roland cubes are totally slept on as recording amps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I tried to take this advice and just get things done as I now have a mic, a DAW and a decent set of guitars but writing riff based music that isn't completely derivative feels hard AF. Everything comes out like a freaking Metallica song :(

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Southern Heel posted:

I tried to take this advice and just get things done as I now have a mic, a DAW and a decent set of guitars but writing riff based music that isn't completely derivative feels hard AF. Everything comes out like a freaking Metallica song :(

Metallica's songs came out as Metallica songs and they seemed to do okay.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Southern Heel posted:

The riff lord giveth, and the riff lord taketh away.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
try listening to music outside your comfort zone but still kind of in the wheelhouse of what you're aiming for. try and find a cool riff and figure out how it's played. you might learn a new technique, and in butchering the riff come up with something unique

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Southern Heel posted:

you gotta switch things up, listen to some megadeth for a change

actually, bolt thrower

the answer is always bolt thrower

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I have a problem. I can't say no to guitars. Got this for a stupid stupid good deal on my local craigslist and couldn't say no.

Ibanez Prestige RG752FX, with case for $450. Feel like I stole the drat thing. Really want to put a set of Titans into this guitar too.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
holy poo poo that's thing's clean for 450.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

muike posted:

holy poo poo that's thing's clean for 450.

Yeah I couldn't believe he accepted it. he had it up for $700 and I guess his life kind of fell apart in a hurry so he was just trying to get money as quick as possible. It has a few dings here and there, and the bridge is corroded a bit (thinking about maybe ordering a new one but we'll see how much it bugs me). Need to work on the setup a bit, he had it in drop B and I'm going to be using it for Drop G#.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Gibson are doing some interesting stuff for 2017

This for $499

These:

And these - I really want the light green one

Looks like the low end stuff is really being pushed for 2017

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
$500 MSRP Gibsons? Going to need to put a lot of fanboys in suicide watch. I hope it works out though, digging that safety yellow one at the top. Definitely going to troll through their social media accounts when the time is right though.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

fullroundaction posted:

$500 MSRP Gibsons? Going to need to put a lot of fanboys in suicide watch. I hope it works out though, digging that safety yellow one at the top. Definitely going to troll through their social media accounts when the time is right though.

Agreed, I want them all to be excellent, they look so cool to me.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

They had the $500 faded SG and LP Jrs a few years ago didn't they?
The firebird thing looks weird but the LPs look super cool.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Thumposaurus posted:

They had the $500 faded SG and LP Jrs a few years ago didn't they?
The firebird thing looks weird but the LPs look super cool.

They did but they were still all very brown and traditional, even though I liked them they weren't doing what they are doing here, this is a real breath of fresh air I think.
The Firebird does look odd, I keep thinking it's great, then not. But I like the bold new ideas here, especially for Gibson as they usually gently caress things up when they try something new :v:
I can really see me getting that light green one. They have a PRS Vela vibe which I am loving.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Why doesn't the Firebird have Firebird pickups? And why do NONE of them have P-90s?

:colbert:

They have a Vela vibe but Vela is HS.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Yeah I'd like more P90 love, if they did a P90 version I'd have ordered one already

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah I'd like more P90 love, if they did a P90 version I'd have ordered one already

Would definitely be the most no-brainer gutiar purchase I've made in a long time. Maybe we'll get lucky ... have these things been officially announced anywhere?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

fullroundaction posted:

Would definitely be the most no-brainer gutiar purchase I've made in a long time. Maybe we'll get lucky ... have these things been officially announced anywhere?

They are from a polish website, reports are that not all models are officially announced and it seems oddly region specific.
It's a bit early I suppose, but I really hope this line gets released everywhere, I really love the freshness of them.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Southern Heel posted:

A good way to not sound like Metallica is to use upstrokes at all, ever.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
There are going to be some great deals to be had at this time next year when all those weird colored Gibsons don't sell

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

fullroundaction posted:

Sorry, source is here:

http://gibzone.pl/artykuly/2017-seria-s/

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
i want a knockoff gibson called gibzone

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
that's my counterstrike clan

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I'd buy a Gibzone Los Paulo for sure

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

muike posted:

that's my counterstrike clan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MImaK0MDac&t=90s

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 7, 2016

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

http://www.metal-rules.com/interviews/MorbidAngel_Wacken.htm

Nature, the swamps where I live, Florida -wetlands. Just natural Florida -wetlands. Not the beach, not the softwater - but the freshwater, the lakes, the woods, the forests and the swamps like we were taking those pictures at for "Formulas...". Stuff like that and also a big influence was videogames on the computer. I play this game called "Quake III Arena" and it�s very popular game today. And I have a group of players - like a team and we are called "The Sailor Scouts". It�s kind of a team, it�s like a "Sailor Moon" which is a Japanese cartoon. And if you know more about Japanese cartoons, they have a certain style. Like with girls where they draw girls and where they do their thing, whatever! So, that�s been a big influence. That type of stuff, my group - my gamning team "The Sailor Scouts" and "Flamebat(!)" and watching it. A lot of stuff I�d watch just to spectate, just watch the game, watch my player�s playing while I�d be playing the guitar and watching the game. Some of the stuff came from that.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Subyng posted:

Thread, please recommend some cool instrumental acoustic songs for me to learn!

Was looking around for more of this and I really like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oAsni2Vz8Q

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Can anybody point me to a resource on how to play this kind of blues/pentatonic noodling around?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9kW6Up9P1g&t=118s

It's not especially difficult, but I'd like to 'see' how to do this cascading pentatonic patterns in a tab form or maybe a tutorial video. Anybody got a resource handy for those trying to up their blues solo speed game?

JamesWestfall
Mar 29, 2010

So whats it take to keep a guitar from constantly going slightly out of tune when dropping to lower tunings, C standard for instance, slight tune ups are required every couple minutes as I work on this tab. I'm using an LTD EC-401QM.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Southern Heel posted:

Been meaning to respond for a while, but... life. When you're the riffmaster working in a riff-based genre, you do feel pressured - you get a miniscule amount of time and a handful of notes to try and come up with something original, and it's easy to start worrying that you're ripping off your influences or even yourself. What everyone else said is very true, you should try and listen to as many riffish bands as you can. The way Mudhoney puts a riff together is different than the way Metallica does. Soundgarden is heavily influenced by Sabbath (who isn't?), but still sound distinctive. So your homework is try and listen to as much guitar rock as you can, preferably at high volume around others. :getin:

My process is usually to start with a specific key just to keep it manageable, even if I know I'll be throwing in accidentals down the the line. Jumping into keys you're not familiar with can be a good way to break out of a rut - I wrote "Miskatonic Love" in D Dorian because I'd never worked in that before and it seemed to fit the lyrics. (Not to put myself out there as Riffmaster General, it's just that mine is the only creative process I can honestly speak to.) "Potter's Bluff" was me trying to go for something like Sabbath's chromatic runs (think the bridge to "Iron Man").

The other starting point, of course, is rhythm. In my case, my singer sends me the lyrics he's been working on, so I often start from there. The verse riff from "Puppet Massacre" and the chorus from "De Vermis Mysteriis" both came into being that way, which has actually made it hard to teach newer band members who unfamiliar with the lyrics.

Rhythms can come from elsewhere, too - sometimes I'll dial in a non-rock setting on my drum machine and noodle over that. "Welcome to the Wasteland" came from loving around with Dr. Groove's hip-hop settings, for instance.

The important thing is to not worry about it. Just keep coming up with stuff and you'll feel better about your output over time. Another thing to remember about riffwriting is that you're only doing one element of the entire song. Once everyone else has added their parts it may not sound like a Metallica rip-off any more, even if you don't change your part at all. (Spoiler - you will.)

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Is there an agreed upon healthy posture for playing guitar sitting down?

I started playing guitar a few weeks ago and have been practicing maybe on average 1 hour each day, sometimes much longer, sometimes shorter. Start of last week while working out I got a really bad pain in my neck, which i thought I caused during an exercise, so I took a week off working out (at first I thought I'd just do body weight exercises for a week but those made my neck hurt the same way). Now a week later I just did some chin ups and the same pain is back, so I think the problem is with sitting and practicing guitar while looking down at the neck or the bridge. I have been enjoying playing guitar and don't want to give it up, so my plan is to stop playing for a week and see if that resolves the issue. If it's because of the guitar then I hope I can find some better way to play.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Seashell Salesman posted:

I started playing guitar a few weeks ago and have been practicing maybe on average 1 hour each day, sometimes much longer, sometimes shorter. Start of last week while working out I got a really bad pain in my neck, which i thought I caused during an exercise, so I took a week off working out (at first I thought I'd just do body weight exercises for a week but those made my neck hurt the same way). Now a week later I just did some chin ups and the same pain is back, so I think the problem is with sitting and practicing guitar while looking down at the neck or the bridge. I have been enjoying playing guitar and don't want to give it up, so my plan is to stop playing for a week and see if that resolves the issue. If it's because of the guitar then I hope I can find some better way to play.

Try not to hunch your back over or do that horrible posture where you're leaning forward and tilting your head to the right and then turning it left so your face is pointing at your fret hand. .

If you're having trouble seeing the frets without twisting and hunching, instead of holding the guitar vertical, tilt the top "back" a bit towards you so that the fretboard and face are angled up a bit.

I can't explain this very well.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Seashell Salesman posted:

Try the classical position, it's really the 'right' way - although the real right way is whatever doesn't cause you bodily harm.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

peter gabriel posted:

Try the classical position, it's really the 'right' way - although the real right way is whatever doesn't cause you bodily harm.

Someone drew a picture of the pope as a stick man over the top of your classical guitar position photo.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

canyoneer posted:

Someone drew a picture of the pope as a stick man over the top of your classical guitar position photo.

Red anorexia pope is metal as gently caress

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Captain Apollo posted:

It's not especially difficult, but I'd like to 'see' how to do this cascading pentatonic patterns in a tab form or maybe a tutorial video. Anybody got a resource handy for those trying to up their blues solo speed game?

Work up a bunch of runs and patterns to the point you can bust them out without thinking about it. Eric Johnson for example does a lot of overlapping 5 note patterns that he builds into extended runs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CHyTfHdnuQ

Also Chris Poland is a great guy to steal from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWTtu6LyS2A

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 8, 2016

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

William F Cuckley posted:

Work up a bunch of runs and patterns to the point you can bust them out without thinking about it. Eric Johnson for example does a lot of overlapping 5 note patterns that he builds into extended runs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CHyTfHdnuQ

Y'know, I thought I was over my desire to own a Blueshawk, but apparently I am completely and totally wrong. :swoon:

Sven
Oct 4, 2005

JamesWestfall posted:

So whats it take to keep a guitar from constantly going slightly out of tune when dropping to lower tunings, C standard for instance, slight tune ups are required every couple minutes as I work on this tab. I'm using an LTD EC-401QM.

I have this same problem on my older EC-1000 when tuning down to C standard. Putting heavier gauge strings on certainly helped, i use 54-12s for stuff around C-D standard on mine, but even they feel kind of floppy and the 3rd string will go flat after bends no matter what size string i put on it. I think it helps to avoid constantly changing tunings every 5 minutes, like just leave it in c-standard and play it for a couple of days to let it all settle down.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Having a wound g might help. You could go with a light or medium gauge 7 string set and toss the highest string.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
It could be an issue with the nut. If a string is catching on the nut, going for a bend will pull it out of tune.