Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ugh I'm so pissed. We're moving in two weeks and that's just hellish enough as it is but we had our kids in daycare to enable us to pack, make repairs to the house, etc.

Well on Sunday we got a notification that our 7 year old's daycare room is shutdown due to a kid testing positive. They did a field trip at a movie theater on Friday (morning, for a rented theater so they weren't exposed to normal movie goers).

Obviously we haven't been there since Friday, but a second and third kid have tested positive so now my anxiety is really up - also both kids are home while I'm trying to work and pack. (We kept the 2 year old home as a precaution of course)

No symptoms yet, but loving poo poo gently caress this poo poo. Also I'm in Mississippi - the least vaccinated place. Neither kid will be going back to daycare at all so that was a lovely way to end it and not see their friends, but I just can't risk it anymore.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

abigserve posted:

Getting frustrated at stuff not working seems healthy to me, ours went through a phase just recently where he'd crack the shits if his Duplo tower fell over but now he's much more patient with it

Not sure why but this post reminds me of working with computers

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
The child just hit 6 months and I feel like he’s a completely different baby now, he has learned SO MUCH in like the last two weeks. He’s sleeping through the night, started solids, can sit up, and cruise around in his walker…he just got so advanced so quickly and it’s blowing my mind a little. He also learned how to scrunch up his nose and make angry huffing noises, which is hilarious.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

hooah posted:

Ugh, today was day 6 of diarrhea for the 2-year-old. I my wife took him on yesterday afternoon and all the PA had to offer was "try some probiotics". We've got some powdered something or other that we can put in his food and drink; any ideas if that will be enough? I'm really sick of cleaning up messes every morning.

My kids had the shits for weeks after a random virus. We tested them for All The Things and it all came up negative. The only thing that helped was probiotics. We got a chewable kind from Target. I found those way easier to use every morning than the powders.

If your kid likes greek yogurt, mix it into a bowl of that for a probiotic carpet bomb.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

remigious posted:

The child just hit 6 months and I feel like he’s a completely different baby now, he has learned SO MUCH in like the last two weeks. He’s sleeping through the night, started solids, can sit up, and cruise around in his walker…he just got so advanced so quickly and it’s blowing my mind a little. He also learned how to scrunch up his nose and make angry huffing noises, which is hilarious.

I feel this way all the time. They just keep learning! And not always good things lol.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
2 year olds are terrorists

And the terrorists have won

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Renegret posted:

2 year olds are terrorists

And the terrorists have won

ahahahha wait until 3!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

devmd01 posted:

ahahahha wait until 3!

That's when they graduate from Domestic to International terrorism.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Hadlock posted:

Not sure why but this post reminds me of working with computers

Replace Duplo with Dell and it's spot on

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

abigserve posted:

Replace Duplo with Dell and it's spot on

:psypop:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

remigious posted:

Yeah at about 6 months mine had the "Galaxy brain" moment and it's been all downhill from here. I hope you got in whatever covid travel you wanted to, because they will absolutely not stay still on a plane now

This is also when you need to scour the floor for any and all choking hazards, up until about month 7.5. bottle caps are a choking hazard, who knew. I'm about six weeks ahead of you. The good news is that the "grab everything and stuff it into your mouth" phase only lasts a little over a month, then the novelty seems to wear off for baby. Either that, or my strategy of "just let her put literally everything but cat poop in her mouth but also make sure she doesn't choke on it" has paid off and her interest is waning early

Tangential side note

Holy hell, how did we as society ever allow carpets indoors, they're loving filthy, so glad we have "hardwood" floors in the main living room area, SO much easier to keep clean

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Hadlock posted:

Holy hell, how did we as society ever allow carpets indoors, they're loving filthy, so glad we have "hardwood" floors in the main living room area, SO much easier to keep clean

As a parent of a potty training toddler that still pees on the floor sometimes, I’m so so so glad this house is not carpeted :barf:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Dang ole 15 month old somehow learned how to take off the plastic socket protectors :argh: Baby!!! C'mon.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

External Organs posted:

Dang ole 15 month old somehow learned how to take off the plastic socket protectors :argh: Baby!!! C'mon.

Yup. Tiny fingers can do a lot I never thought they’d be able to do

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...

remigious posted:

I feel this, so so much. We're having a huge week with the 7 m.o. having his last days of the Docband, last day of PT where he decided it was time to try crawling (!!) for the first time, teeth finally breaking through, and sleep training going way way better than I could have ever hoped for. Basically, we're almost done undoing all the damage my MIL caused lol.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

External Organs posted:

My girl at 16 months did this:

It was a cheap plastic outlet cover so we replaced most of them with sturdier ones.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Chernobyl Princess posted:

Our son did/does this sometimes, as well as some hand flapping (which is totally developmental). We started redirecting him to do the hand flapping instead when he hits or kicks out of excitement, saying "happy hands!" and doing it ourselves as well.

This is a really good idea, I will try it. I’ve tried explaining that she can clap or give a high five instead but I like this a lot better, then it’s not like she’s getting a high five for hitting.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Well, our good luck at preschool didn't hold. :(

Day one - perfect, she had a great time and was happy all day
Day two - apprehensive at dropoff but okay, took a nap and was confused when waking up
Day three - got weepy at breakfast when we talked about the upcoming day, had a hard time letting go at dropoff
Day four (today) - had to pick her up half an hour after dropoff because she got too stressed out and threw up

Poor kiddo. She needs more experience being away from home and I'm afraid she's going to get kicked out of the program before she gets it.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

remigious posted:

Could you post yours or a similar walker? We have a standup harness play station deal, but I’m hesitant to stick her in that for more than 30 min or so. Something she could cruise around in sounds adorable.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

meanolmrcloud posted:

Could you post yours or a similar walker? We have a standup harness play station deal, but I’m hesitant to stick her in that for more than 30 min or so. Something she could cruise around in sounds adorable.

We have this one: https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Einstei...yen+sky+&sr=8-2 It’s not too big but also not too small and I like to hook extra toys on the loops on each side :)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Our 1 year old has been sick non stop all year. She gets covid tested every time and has never had it. She was just sick last month and recovered fully about a week ago. Just cold after cold. She had to go to urgent care tonight because she had trouble breathing. Blood ox 95, sent home with Albuterol. Her big brother had the same problem when he was 1, spent a few days in hospital even. Ugghhhh. She probably gets it at daycare???? Yeah.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

At what point do toddlers stop doing things that might bring them active harm?

Our ogre baby not only treats the couch as his personal trampoline but likes to either pull the oven open when it's going or yanking at the child covers on the stove knobs, not to mention trying to open drawers and when he can't do that he hangs off of them. We have locks for everything, mind.

Not sure if he's doing it because he sees us cooking or what. We give him a bowl and some spatulas/whisks so he can play along and that works most of the time but the moment we open the oven door he heads that way like he's the witch from Hansel and Gretel.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I was just having this conversation with my dad, who informed me I still do dumbass things that might bring me active harm at the age of 34.

He has high hopes that his granddaughter will be much more intelligent but right now we agree that she's not quite dog level.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
I think the reality is that they never stop, you just stop being responsible for it when they hit 18.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

My four year old still puts random things in his mouth. He found a half-eaten Clif bar at the bottom of a beach bag that was Old. Proceeded to stuff it in his mouth while running away/giggling. Then puked a few hours later because GROSS OLD CLIF BAR.

So... never. Either your kid is into wacky dangerous gross crap or they aren't, and if they are then 😬

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

We set up gates that prevent access to the kitchen. We don’t use them all the time, but it’s clutch if things are getting too busy in there.

I work near a childrens’ burn center so I’m pretty sensitive to the life-altering possibilities of ovens and boiling water. I’ll take a mad toddler and some extra trim damage over the alternative :(

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Yeah i have some hairless patches on my upper arms and shoulders from when i knocked in to my mother as a little kid when she was draining some potatoes in the sink so i'm on high alert when cooking. She also tells stories about worriedly talking to my pediatrician about how i was consistently covered in bumps and bruises only to be told "yeah nawh congrats you have a boy it's basically like that all the time".

We have a relatively open kitchen with an island unfortunately so i'm not sure a gate'll work but i'll look in to it since we cook so drat often.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

remigious posted:

We have this one: https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Einstei...yen+sky+&sr=8-2 It’s not too big but also not too small and I like to hook extra toys on the loops on each side :)

Just as a note, but baby walkers have been banned in Canada and there are calls to ban them in the US as well.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/parents-dont-use-a-baby-walker-2018092714895

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
If you are interested in the movement of a walker with the security of an exersaucer, we loved the Fisher Price Step--n-Play Piano. The older version didn't have the removable pad on the bottom, but my daughter fuckin loved that thing. When she got older, we just took out the seat entirely and she used it as a play center.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

Nessa posted:

Just as a note, but baby walkers have been banned in Canada and there are calls to ban them in the US as well.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/parents-dont-use-a-baby-walker-2018092714895

Yeah, he uses it in a controlled environment and there is zero chance he will fall down any stairs. He loves that loving thing and I am not going to deprive him.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
My 2 year old son always has bruises on his legs and today he's got like seven bug bites, I guess from the ten minutes we spent outside yesterday? I definitely feel like anyone who sees him is gonna think I'm a negligent parent but I'm not sure how to prevent stuff like that so oh well!

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

davebo posted:

My 2 year old son always has bruises on his legs and today he's got like seven bug bites, I guess from the ten minutes we spent outside yesterday? I definitely feel like anyone who sees him is gonna think I'm a negligent parent but I'm not sure how to prevent stuff like that so oh well!

Yeah my 7 mo old goes to the dog park a lot so he had like 5 bug bites, and he scratched his eyelid and leg with his razor sharp baby nails before I trimmed him.

Poor guy looked like he was living in a swamp battling alligators all day.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

remigious posted:

Yeah, he uses it in a controlled environment and there is zero chance he will fall down any stairs. He loves that loving thing and I am not going to deprive him.

People are unbelievable. From the article:

quote:

The majority of injuries happen when children fall down stairs in a walker, usually injuring their head or neck, sometimes seriously.

But it’s not just stairs that can be a problem. Children in walkers can get their fingers caught, pull things down on themselves, or grab dangerous things (such as sharp objects or hot liquids) that would otherwise be out of their reach. Children can fall out of walkers and get hurt — and have drowned when they scooted into a pool or spa. There have also been injuries from toys attached to a baby walker.

I guess some people think having their kids in a walker means they don’t have to baby proof the house. Wtf?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

citybeatnik posted:

At what point do toddlers stop doing things that might bring them active harm?

Our ogre baby not only treats the couch as his personal trampoline but likes to either pull the oven open when it's going or yanking at the child covers on the stove knobs, not to mention trying to open drawers and when he can't do that he hangs off of them. We have locks for everything, mind.

Not sure if he's doing it because he sees us cooking or what. We give him a bowl and some spatulas/whisks so he can play along and that works most of the time but the moment we open the oven door he heads that way like he's the witch from Hansel and Gretel.

Well mine is 8.

So apparently after 8 because it hasn't happened yet. The danger activities have just changed!

Andos El Pantos
May 7, 2004
My 2 year old falls down CONSTANTLY. To the point we asked the pediatrician about it at his last checkup. I've had to explain so many lumps and bruises to family I feel like they don't believe me anymore, fortunately (or unfortunately) it also happens at daycare so they know we're not irresponsible parents, the kid is just unbelievably clumsy.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

nwin posted:

People are unbelievable. From the article:

I guess some people think having their kids in a walker means they don’t have to baby proof the house. Wtf?

Yeah I am not convinced that walkers are dangerous on their own if used under supervision, like most baby things.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

remigious posted:

So long as you are informed about possible risks, then great!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Andos El Pantos posted:

My 2 year old falls down CONSTANTLY. To the point we asked the pediatrician about it at his last checkup. I've had to explain so many lumps and bruises to family I feel like they don't believe me anymore, fortunately (or unfortunately) it also happens at daycare so they know we're not irresponsible parents, the kid is just unbelievably clumsy.

They are called “toddlers” for a reason, though. My 3yo also has tons of bruises and lumps.

Toddlers are a dichotomy between insanely smart and also complete idiots. They don’t watch where they are going, they run in places they shouldn’t, they actively disregard your warnings not to do something because they’ll get hurt, they jump on and off things, and run into the street without looking because they don’t know. And their legs aren’t great at propelling them forward yet.

Yet, my son has a memory like a steel trap despite bumping his head like five billion times over the course of his three years of life, and amazes me every day with his intelligence. And at the same time I found myself explaining to the dentist why he is missing a baby tooth, the reason being that he jumped off something at daycare and then tripped onto his face, knocking the tooth out because there was a tooth growing slightly behind and beside it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Our middle child has always been pretty klutzy and we took her to physio and doctors and stuff, and went all the way to getting her an MRI. It turns out she has a very mild palsy on one side so it was good to learn that and be able to help her with physio and exercises and a foot orthosis (which we are bad about getting her to wear, tbh).

It was an interesting process overall!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Now it's up to 5 kids positive for covid in my daughter's daycare room outbreak. Our rapid test was negative today... PCR is out for testing to.