Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

God damnit, I literally only just put together an MG Qan[T] a few months back and was looking for a full saber kit initially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Luminaflare posted:

God damnit, I literally only just put together an MG Qan[T] a few months back and was looking for a full saber kit initially.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/BTF-GN-SWOR...I4AAOSwOVpXfInu

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Anora posted:

Wow, after putting both the RG Banshee Norn, and the Johnny Ridden's Zaku II, I don't think RG is really for me. I think I'd be fine with them at 1/100 scale, but there are way to many tiny rear end parts.

I'mm sticking to HG and MG at this point.

The RGs are fiddly and I almost always break at least one tiny part trimming nubs, but I kinda still like them - the Sinanju was a real mother fucker, but I've done the Zaku II and RX-78, and they were neat. The Gundam in particular is a fuckin choice kit. The thing I currently hate working on but am forcing myself to slog through is the PG Wing Zero Custom. Two hours and like 75 parts to build one giant arm, assembling all the frame joints from individual parts and screwing stuff together, can get hosed. Totally feel you on just opting out of certain lines, is what I mean, and slapping up a HG in an evening is so relaxing after one of these big 200+ part kits that come on 15 runners.

The end result is dope as hell but man this is a death march. I picked up an MG Gelgoog as a reward for myself when I get done with this monster.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

UK, but yeah I realise addons exist but I meant an all in one kit. It doesn't really matter to be honest, just annoyed that it got announced so (relatively) shortly after I got and built the thing.

Oh well, I still got two free RGs out of it due to some idiot trying to scam me.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This RG is fun to build~

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

This RG is fun to build~

Yeah, the Mk-IIs are probably some of the best RGs. They're super solid and don't have too many little bits flailing around while you try to pose it.

So it's ironic that they built the Sinanju frame off of it and it turned out the exact opposite.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

StrixNebulosa posted:

This RG is fun to build~

:yeah:

The legs are soooo cool

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
What does RE stand for? I'm assuming it's a 1/100 kit, but I'm just confused as to the acronym and what makes it different from MG.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
REmake. They're at MG scale, but HG levels of detail, which makes them cheaper than MGs. It's so that obscure and niche suits get made in 1/100 scale without Bandai investing as many resources as MGs.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
REborn One Hundred is what it says on the box.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
oops

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

DKD posted:

REmake. They're at MG scale, but HG levels of detail, which makes them cheaper than MGs. It's so that obscure and niche suits get made in 1/100 scale without Bandai investing as many resources as MGs.

So they're basically the same as the FM line?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Beelerzebub posted:

Sorta? FM is just a fancy name for a 1/100 line (with supposedly extra surface details) but the IBO kits are such a leap in quality for the 1/100 line that they look great compared to any other non RE1/100 kits.
RE1-100 is sorta a 1/100 scale HG with MG level (surface) detail.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I don't like the RE line because it turns kits from "oh man I hope they make a MG of this someday" to "oh well."

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I dunno, I'm fine with getting a RE if the alternative is no kit.

I built the efreet and it was fine. Other than some annoying seam lines or two and wishing for better color separation, I think the re line is good

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Beelerzebub posted:

Not really. FM's gimmick is that they are Full Mechanics, meaning a complete inner frame. That was core to the Iron Blooded Orphans design philosophy, where the designs were essentially modular armor and parts on top of standardized frames. They aren't as detailed as MGs or REs, but they have the full internal frame in every kit.

Reborn one hundred is kits with MG-level surface detail but no full internal frame. They still have most the gimmicks of the original designs though, usually without removing parts unless absolutely necessary. They're also all more esoteric designs that wouldn't really lend themselves to a bunch of variants that would be worth tooling a whole internal structure for.

Edit:

Monaghan posted:

I dunno, I'm fine with getting a RE if the alternative is no kit.

I built the efreet and it was fine. Other than some annoying seam lines or two and wishing for better color separation, I think the re line is good

The Efreet is a great kit. It's almost more of an MG than the original MG Gouf or Gouf Custom, and the color separation for things like the missile launchers is really impressive. All the white and black is plastic, rather than stickers, which it easily could have been.

The Muffinlord fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 18, 2018

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

As someone who likes MGs for their size and gimmicks (transformation without partsforming etc.), and doesn't particularly care about inner frames, RE 1/100s are good to me.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

The Muffinlord posted:

Not really. FM's gimmick is that they are Full Mechanics, meaning a complete inner frame. That was core to the Iron Blooded Orphans design philosophy, where the designs were essentially modular armor and parts on top of standardized frames. They aren't as detailed as MGs or REs, but they have the full internal frame in every kit.

I built the HG Reginlaze Julia and even that thing has a full internal frame, albeit not a terribly detailed one, though it painted up nice. The IBO kits are all so good, mostly because like you said, the designs kind of force them to go with a full frame even on the High Grades.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The novelty of painting a bunch of inner frame I'll never see has worn very thin.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Can they make an HGUC Jagd Doga based on the Unicorn refit version?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I feel like the Jagd Doga suits a RE1/100, it's big and not that detailed, I'm not sure it really benefits from an MG treatment.

Anyway, a WIP:

Need to work around the head and collar, there's no movement there now. Actually the port is too far back for the neck anyway.

Oh, and remember how I got a P-Bandai GNX IV for the head? That's left as a spare part in the GNX Ogre kit, which I've found a review for today.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I do feel.like the sweet spot is MG/HG for complexity and prixe, RG being fiddly.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

RGs are only fiddly if your soul is tied down by gravity

Or you’re building the Sinanju

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Or the zeta

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Or the zephyranthes

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

This RG is fun to build~

what gundam is that on the floor

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Yinlock posted:

what gundam is that on the floor

Customized BuCUE.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Blackchamber posted:

Customized BuCUE.

thank you

i like the paintjob, though they seem to have missed a couple spots

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

It's been raining here for a couple of weeks so I've been avoiding spraycan topcoating stuff, because I heard humidity makes it go funny and look weird. How much humidity is too much? Also, would brushing on a few layers of gloss medium be a viable alternative, or is it just not tough enough?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Schizophonic9's MG F91 Ver. 2.0 pictorial is up and god drat does it make me wish I hadn't already spent all my hobby budget for the next few months already (stupid P-Bandai :negative:)

On the downside the way they've worked in the LED gimmick on a miniaturized MS is through a special stand, so no LED fun with the action bases. On the upside it does mean you don't have to crack the drat thing open to turn off the LED.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/rider_joe1/status/998148315492462592

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

This is a crime.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

asterioth posted:

So the kits have been revealed and uh.. ok on the first one.

RE/100 Jagd Doga

MG 00 Qan[T] Full Saber

No clue why they're making the JD a RE when the MG Geara Doga exists and it should be mostly the same for the frame.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, gently caress the RE/100 line, it's a meaningless waste of everyone's time

Yawgmoft posted:

I don't like the RE line because it turns kits from "oh man I hope they make a MG of this someday" to "oh well."

Does much the same thing to HG kit possibilities too

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

sassassin posted:

This is a crime.

https://twitter.com/ukuleleman2/status/998136911418900481

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
The RE1/100 line should focus on actual obscure/grey-area official mobile suits. Like the Penelope and things like Gaia Gear.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Another kit complete! I skipped the stickers because ehhhhhh

I love how he's got the full loadout :D

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/bbkaito_guren/status/998222044402626567

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

these are some good leos

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

drrockso20 posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, gently caress the RE/100 line, it's a meaningless waste of everyone's time

How is RE/100 a bigger waste of time and money than RG. Just asking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ka0 posted:

How is RE/100 a bigger waste of time and money than RG. Just asking.

Well, they're kind of opposite things, so it depends what you're looking for.

An RG is an incredibly detailed, color separated, inner framed kit about the size of an HG, and priced in between an HG and an MG.

Meanwhile, RE/100s are priced like MGs, but have more HG like builds, and tend to have some disappointing bits, in color separation, stability, or what have you.

Basically, the argument for RGs is "It's a master grade in the palm of your hand, but with more neat little details!" while a RE/100 is "We couldn't justify making an MG of this, but here you go anyway."