Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I don't think you guys understand what a rave is

They were just having a party. Like a regular old festivity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revolther
May 27, 2008
Yeah, people don't play space beer pong at raves, they play that poo poo at lame space parties.

I think the whole event having the air of a rapey east coast club-night is why goons are choosing the word rave.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fartbox posted:

I don't think you guys understand what a rave is

They were just having a party. Like a regular old festivity

Goons don't understand social events, okay?

revolther posted:

Yeah, people don't play space beer pong at raves, they play that poo poo at lame space parties.

I think the whole event having the air of a rapey east coast club-night is why goons are choosing the word rave.

Yeah, it was a really weird vibe. Is it an office party? A college party? A military party? Can Cadet Tilly even get laid? Wouldn't there be fraternization rules about cadets having sex with officers?

Karaoke night seems like a much more TNG approved method for the crew to relax.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, it was a really weird vibe. Is it an office party? A college party? A military party? Can Cadet Tilly even get laid? Wouldn't there be fraternization rules about cadets having sex with officers?

Captains shouldn't be fraternizing with flag officers either, though. In the Diso-verse professionalism is an afterthought I guess.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Space Karaoke looked like a lot of fun, people seemed like they were having a good time.

And Bortus is that dude at the bar who takes Karaoke WAY too seriously, has a list with all the songs they know and the keys they're in.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

MA-Horus posted:

Space Karaoke looked like a lot of fun, people seemed like they were having a good time.

And Bortus is that dude at the bar who takes Karaoke WAY too seriously, has a list with all the songs they know and the keys they're in.

Dude said he sings.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

Karaoke night seems like a much more TNG approved method for the crew to relax.

Ah yes excellent another night performing stage plays currently in the public domain

is there anything better?

MA-Horus posted:

I laughed at "YOU WILL BE SILENT!"

Wasn't really super-fond of this week's ep otherwise but hey I uh watched it

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

Wasn't really super-fond of this week's ep otherwise but hey I uh watched it

It was quite a roller coaster between "good," "actually funny," and "cringey as gently caress" this week.

It kinda reminded me of that one episode in DS9 where Lwaxana picked up a virus that caused her to telepathically broadcast amorous feelings to the whole station, causing everyone to form really awkward and inappropriate crushes.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mulaney Power Move posted:

this is the same doctor of horrors who turned bareil into a god drat dickless cyborg and used a romulan mind probe on a legitimate federation intelligence officer.

wait, which legit fed officer was this? it better not be the Section 31 rear end in a top hat because he's the antithesis of a legit officer

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

It was quite a roller coaster between "good," "actually funny," and "cringey as gently caress" this week.

It kinda reminded me of that one episode in DS9 where Lwaxana picked up a virus that caused her to telepathically broadcast amorous feelings to the whole station, causing everyone to form really awkward and inappropriate crushes.

Agreed, with a bit of "Naked Now" thrown in there. I had a few actual laugh out loud moments. Alarra's reaction was pretty good when walked in on the doctor and Yaphit.

Downside; we did not have THE SISKO and Bareil getting into a very one-sided fistfight over Dax.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

So that blue alien, he's a rapist, right? He seems like a nice enough guy, and nobody had any hard feelings, but drugging people with your space pheromones without permission is uh...

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Facebook Aunt posted:

So that blue alien, he's a rapist, right? He seems like a nice enough guy, and nobody had any hard feelings, but drugging people with your space pheromones without permission is uh...

isn't this the plot to that star wars novel shadows of the empire

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

isn't this the plot to that star wars novel shadows of the empire

No woman can resist Xizor and his sex stink.

There's a goon podcast called "Expounded Universe" that's doing an in-depth series on this book right now, btw.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

that book and everything around it was just a marketing experiment that resulted in the prequels

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

He knew his physiology would affect the crew adversely and gave no warning and didn't bother to try to stop the chaos he was causing until the situation devolved to the point of a shooting war, at which point he likely did so only to alleviate his own personal danger.

Blue man ain't nice.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
the show is kind of like "what if you had the universe of TNG but it was more full of assholes/people with issues instead of nigh-perfect nerds who like to re-enact famous plays and practice the trombone for fun"

interesting concept and it seems to be panning out so far

But yeahhhhhh I kinda wish Seth wasn't the lead of the show. That may be my biggest consistent problem with it in fact

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Monkey Fracas posted:

the show is kind of like "what if you had the universe of TNG but it was more full of assholes/people with issues instead of nigh-perfect nerds who like to re-enact famous plays and practice the trombone for fun"

this is basically what the crew of all the miranda class ships are like

seth is the caliber of officer that is excited to captain one of those

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Yandat posted:

instead of Just One Barclay that's the whole ship

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yandat posted:

I am disappointed that Youtube apparently does not have a "Mirandas getting Murked" supercut.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Barclay as a guest on the Orville as an officer who doesn't get any work done because he's too busy playing Waifu No Galaxy Gaiden 3 on the holodeck

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
Recognizing actors from other shows is fun. I've spotted the actors who played Tuco Salamanca and Hector Salamanca in Breaking Bad in different episodes/series of 90s Star Trek.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

that book and everything around it was just a marketing experiment that resulted in the prequels

Bad comics and books bit a surprisingly decent video game adaptation?
Yeah, checks out.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

both tng and ds9 did a good job with the traveling back in time episodes. meeting mark twain was kind of corny but they made it work. ferengis as the roswell aliens was a good comedy episode. there were too many time elements altogether in the other episodes to go through (past tense is still the future, does that count? what about trials and tribbleations? that was basically comedy nostalgia too). but anything is better than that voyager episode with janeway's great great great aunt or whatever building a bridge or some poo poo, or t'pol telling the story of how vulcans landed in Pennsylvania or whatever and that's where velcro comes from.

trials and tribulations if im thinking of the right ep is ds9 with dax in that incredible miniskirt so its a 101/100 score in my book, OP

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah that episode is loving great and dax's disguise is the cherry on top.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

basic hitler posted:

Yeah that episode is loving great and dax's disguise is the cherry on top.

thats the less hot dax but that outfit is definitely the maximal incarnation of the character. unreal. mindblowing. god bless

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I think we all know Curzon is the hottest dax

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

basic hitler posted:

I think we all know Curzon is the hottest dax

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i liked when ezri dressed up as a vegas waitress

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Mid-season finale tonight.

I think Voq comes out as trans-earthling and is accepted by all for embracing their identity.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

oh i thought this was the season finale of std already. wtf is a "midseason finale" is that like a tv thing now?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

oh i thought this was the season finale of std already. wtf is a "midseason finale" is that like a tv thing now?

Shows usually take breaks from just before thanksgiving thru mid January. That's way networks can push holiday specials, sports, etc without pre-empting shows. It also gives an out for two months that would normally give them poo poo ratings since everyone is attending parties, shopping, etc.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The extra episodes that CBS ordered while shooting was still underway will air in January or something.

Probably be a bunch of Mike-centric bottle-episode crap that is heavy on Vulcan hoodoo and maybe one about Lorca teaching the crew to play baseball in a cargo bay as the most rushed faux-homage episode ever.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

shadow puppet of a posted:

The extra episodes that CBS ordered while shooting was still underway will air in January or something.

Probably be a bunch of Mike-centric bottle-episode crap that is heavy on Vulcan hoodoo and maybe one about Lorca teaching the crew to play baseball in a cargo bay as the most rushed faux-homage episode ever.

Nobody at CBS remembers DS9. Except for Section 31, which is lame and boring.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

oh so is that like when tng/ds9/voy would do their two parters? i know they used to take breaks midseason, or at least i think they did, but i've never heard that term before.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

cant wait for the ds9 movie

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Peachfart posted:

Nobody at CBS remembers DS9. Except for Section 31, which is lame and boring.

Yeah but if you've got a writers room full of nerds who do, and a $250,000 budget to pump out hasty unplanned SciFi in Toronto, you would immediately gravitate to one of the many under-used baseball diamonds and call it an afternoon.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

all the main ds9 actors are still alive right

unlike babylon 5 they didn't all die

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

oh so is that like when tng/ds9/voy would do their two parters? i know they used to take breaks midseason, or at least i think they did, but i've never heard that term before.

Its a much bigger deal now that CBS wants people to keep paying for their bullshit. Ideally the'd air one episode a month so get ready for the post-break break and the break-from-breaks break.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i just made a bunch of non trek fans watch first contact last week

everyone liked it (it still holds up as a decent action movie and the special effects look better than star wars episode 1 which came out 3 years after) but there was a lot of laughter at the jokes, not laughing at the jokes themselves but how bad they were "so you're on some kind of star trek" and horny data

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Yandat posted:

all the main ds9 actors are still alive right

unlike babylon 5 they didn't all die

Only Marc Alaimo's life matters. Everyone else is replaceable, even Andrew Robinson because Garak switching bodies with a buxom Tellarite in order to evade his enemies and be seduced by Bashir is perfectly in-character.