Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm just making baseless assumptions based on photos I've seen but I still don't think they'll ditch lightning. No real reason to other than "easier for consumers slightly" which Apple doesn't exactly care about. Lightning is USB-C functionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They switched to USB-C because it's a combination charging and data port, and smaller than the old ones.

Lightning is already all of these things, and smaller than USB-C.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

SourKraut posted:

It's pretty crazy now quickly the refurb 2012 Mac Minis sell out. I've been watching the refurb store/refurb.me for over a month waiting for either the base i5 or i7 to appear without any luck. Go out of town to a place with horrible cellular service and finally am able to check my email this morning to see both had come in stock only to go back out of stock. Of course it was at 5:30 am so I'd have been asleep anyway but still, I'm thinking it's going to be almost impossible to get one now if it took over a month for this last batch...

It's similar with decent spec iPad Mini 2s - they appear rarely and sell out instantly.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Lightning cant really do video or other stuff that require more bandwidth though.
For example the current HDMI-lightning adapter uses some sort of ARM chip inside to act as a AirPlay Display mirror for HDMI output and causes compression artifacts :argh:

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I have an Apple iMac where the backlight under a portion of the screen flickers occasionally. It's under warranty - Is there any way to just send it in for service? The website wants me to make an appointment at an Apple Store which has no parking nearby, and this thing is large, heavy and difficult for me to move.

(I know this sounds pretty #firstworldproblem-y).

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Small White Dragon posted:

I have an Apple iMac where the backlight under a portion of the screen flickers occasionally. It's under warranty - Is there any way to just send it in for service? The website wants me to make an appointment at an Apple Store which has no parking nearby, and this thing is large, heavy and difficult for me to move.

Have someone drive you to the store and drop you off at the door?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Have someone drive you to the store and drop you off at the door?
It's a good thought, but it wouldn't be that much closer.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If it's under AppleCare Extended Warranty you should be able to call AppleCare (800-275-2273) explain what the problem is, jump though some tech support hoops, and have them send out a prepaid FedEx box to you; you put the iMac in it and either call for a pickup or drop it off at a FedEx and it gets shipped back to Apple. Make sure you have your serial number ready when you call...

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Time to bring back Fruity News imo.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

It's a good thought, but it wouldn't be that much closer.
How do people buy iMacs from the store then? Haha. Just carry it you big baby.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

A store employee will help you carry it in with a dolly if you ask someone. Old folks ask all the time for their iMacs whenever I'm in the store.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Whirlwind Jones posted:

The max weight of your computer is like 30 lbs. Unless you're old and/or frail I'd say that you should be able to carry that. If you have the original box it'll make it much easier. Otherwise, put it in the huge suitcase or something

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

A store employee will help you carry it in with a dolly if you ask someone. Old folks ask all the time for their iMacs whenever I'm in the store.
A good thought, but then he'd have to physically interact with another human being.

Isn't there any way he can just do this whole thing over the internet?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

honestly guys it's not that hard

but srsly he might have mobility issues, idk. you really can just do the whole thing through the post, it just takes a while and packing the thing sucks. i'd just take a cab if i couldn't take the train or whatever. there are wheelchair cabs and they'll carry stuff for you within reason. unless you live in bumfuck nowhere, in which case, move first.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 16, 2015

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Has anyone here investigated whether the 12" will be powerful enough for J2EE development or similar? I know that type of dev doesn't require a lot of horsepower, and I don't even need to run VMs, but it would be nice to have a more portable machine than my rMBP and still keep the higher resolution. The only other alternative is the 11", but that loving display...

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I don't know about the new machine in particular, but if I could run Xcode and the iOS simulator on a 2009 Mac Mini, anything is possible. I maxed out the RAM and while it didn't FLY, it was serviceable. Probably could have used an SSD.

J2EE dev, what you talkin' here, Eclipse and an app server? You should be ok. I think any product in the lineup would be OK for that.

For maximum fun, bring Eclipse configured how you like it on a USB stick to an Apple Store. Test your workflow, WHATEVER, but really hunker down and pretend you're doing serious work. Record reactions.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Display machines are set up to allow you to run stuff from a USB stick?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

withak posted:

So long as it is Gatekeeper signed.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Wasn't/Isn't Applecare in-home for desktops?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

withak posted:

I don't know, I was trying to be funny. I think they'll mount USB but I can't prove it and don't know off-hand. I do know you can download stuff, so I guess it's the same.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Assuming the new MacBook runs well in general (no throttling, no GPU issues), it's going to be fine for J2EE stuff. The screen size is going to be the biggest pain.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Wasn't/Isn't Applecare in-home for desktops?

You have to be more hat 50 miles from a store, iirc.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Chris Knight posted:

Time to bring back Fruity News imo.

Man, I'm getting warm and fuzzy nostalgia feelings from that :3:

For content, my new 13" rMBP should show up soon so I can provide impressions as to how well it compares to the 2013 15" for stuff like VMware use.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Usually packed in the original packaging which has a very nice handle on top for you to carry it out of the store. When you're trying to carry just the computer around, it's infinitely more awkward. I have a 27" iMac I needed to bring in for a recall a few years ago, and getting it into the store from way back in the parking lot was no picnic. I brought a laundry cart with me to wheel it into the store.

I really feel like your sole purpose in this thread is just to be really lovely to people. Congratulations. You're good at it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I keep my iMac's original box and packaging around in case I have to move it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I carried my 27" iMac in the box every day for 6 weeks on a DIT job, it's really no biggie even if the box is unwieldy and the top handle is useless.

Lift more.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

1st AD posted:

I carried my 27" iMac in the box every day for 6 weeks on a DIT job

In the snow? Uphill both ways? Without shoes?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Accipiter posted:

Usually packed in the original packaging which has a very nice handle on top for you to carry it out of the store. When you're trying to carry just the computer around, it's infinitely more awkward. I have a 27" iMac I needed to bring in for a recall a few years ago, and getting it into the store from way back in the parking lot was no picnic. I brought a laundry cart with me to wheel it into the store.

I really feel like your sole purpose in this thread is just to be really lovely to people. Congratulations. You're good at it.
That's why you keep the box. :eng101:

Also first he complained that the parking lot was far away, and someone suggested he get dropped off at the door, to which he replied "ehh it wouldn't be that much closer" which I found mildly amusing. If getting dropped off at the entrance isn't close enough for you then I don't know how to help haha.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Apple should provide wheelchairs to get customers from the dropoff point out front to the appropriate location inside of the store.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Just slowly drag it face down by the stand across the car park. Or tie it to your waist and keep it in the air by spinning around really fast. Or wait for a flood and use it as a raft.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 16, 2015

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

just carry it under your arm like a skateboard you dorks. the 27" isnt even heavy.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Laserface posted:

just carry it under your arm like a skateboard you dorks. the 27" isnt even heavy.

Just remember not to throw it to the ground and jump on top of it.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
So I went and got my first MacBook last week, a 13" Pro. 8GB/i5 2.7GHz/256GB. I absolutely love it.

The SSD is fast as hell. It boots easily ten times faster than my Mac Mini does.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

withak posted:

Just remember not to throw it to the ground and jump on top of it.

When I replaced my stand with a desk mounted arm and the loving spring loaded mounting bracket got stuck inside the body, it was definitely tempting.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Accipiter posted:

In the snow? Uphill both ways? Without shoes?

I used to carry my iMac G4 up three flights of stairs to get it to LANs at university.
And that was luxury compared to the PC users still rocking CRTs like cavemen.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Reasons like this are why I prefer to load Ubuntu on all my Macs, the kernel is much more light weight.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Reasons like this are why I prefer to load Ubuntu on all my Macs, the kernel is much more light weight.

mlyp

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:golfclap:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
just got a new rmbp from work (256gb/8gb) new trackpad owns. Not much else to say about it other than the battery life is fantastic as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Seems like that little CPU in the new MacBook is quite impressive for 4.5W: http://anandtech.com/show/9061/lenovo-yoga-3-pro-review/4