Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

GotLag posted:

What's with all these weirdos coming out of the woodwork to hate on the fishing in SDV?
It has always been polarizing. Initially, lots of people didn't understand how fishing worked. Then, some people just don't like it for some reason.

My only complaint is it gets too easy too quickly. It's still alright though, and for a while I really liked it.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Dec 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I didn't like fishing at start, I think it's got a slow beginning but I kind of enjoyed it when I got some levels into it and it became much more manageable to reel.

Still haven't been able to find a drat eel though. :(

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Flipswitch posted:

I didn't like fishing at start, I think it's got a slow beginning but I kind of enjoyed it when I got some levels into it and it became much more manageable to reel.

Still haven't been able to find a drat eel though. :(

Eels are found in the ocean on rainy days after 4 pm in spring and autumn

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Stardew Valley's fishing minigame is fun, but the fishing system as a whole suffers the same problem most games' fishing systems do, where it's a loot box with a delay timer. If you want something specific you have to just keep trying, throwing bait at the attempts, hoping you aren't wrong about the fish being present in this area/season/weather because the game doesn't tell you that.

If you're not looking for a specific fish, though, it's pretty good.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Does the mini game get easier as you level up in some way? I'm not sure if I ever got past level 3 or so but if the bar expands while leveling up that might convince me to spend more time doing it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

explosivo posted:

Does the mini game get easier as you level up in some way? I'm not sure if I ever got past level 3 or so but if the bar expands while leveling up that might convince me to spend more time doing it.

Depending on your fishing level and fishing rod, the green catchment area increases in size. I believe fish also stop behaving as erratically the higher your fishing level.

On the topic of the fishing minigame, I personally don't mind shutting down my brain for fifteen minutes on the days I decide to fish, but I can understand how some people would hate it. There's so much more they could have done with the fishing mechanic. Make fish actually visible in the water so you cast your line nearby to increase chances of catching them. Different types of bait for different types of fish. Maybe not have the braindead "keep fish in green bar" mechanic and instead introduce a mechanic where you gotta tire the fish out but not reel in too much so as not to snap the line. I feel like that would be more enjoyable and maybe make you feel a slight sense of accomplishment, especially when it came to catching the big bucks that you spent a few minutes sweatily tiring it out before nabbing it. Making expensive fish = more erratic and fast movement to chase after with a green bar is just boring.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Qubee posted:

Maybe not have the braindead "keep fish in green bar" mechanic and instead introduce a mechanic where you gotta tire the fish out but not reel in too much so as not to snap the line.

Have you played Okami? Its fishing is similar to that.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Qubee posted:

Depending on your fishing level and fishing rod, the green catchment area increases in size. I believe fish also stop behaving as erratically the higher your fishing level.

drat, I didn't know this. Yeah that might get me to go grind out some levels in that case.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

explosivo posted:

drat, I didn't know this. Yeah that might get me to go grind out some levels in that case.

There's a training rod now that makes fishing way easier, you just can't catch star quality fish. Use this until like 5-6, then grab the irridium rod, the trap bobber, and some wild bait and you can catch just about anything but legendary fish at that point.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

By fishing minigame standards, Stardew's is pretty good. It is, however, still a fishing minigame and there's people who are going to reject one of those no matter what. I'm not particularly fond of fishing minigames. Honestly one of the great things about Stardew is that there's multiple paths to everything. Very few of the fish needed for the Community Center are remotely difficult to catch, and you can always avoid that entirely by going Joja. You can also just level fishing with crab pots until you're so swole the minigame becomes easy. Octopus and some of the uniques are tough but you never need those unless you're just trying to catch all the fish. I usually put off serious fishing until year two when kegs/jars/etc are making all my money and the only ways left to spend a day's energy are the skull mine or fishing.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

chairface posted:

skull mine or fishing.

Oof, speaking of, just unlocked and went to the skull mine for the first time. Could definitely use some tips to make it less intense. I was like, "this isn't so bad" right up until 2 serpent things had their way with me in a span of 10 seconds because they were coming at me from different angles.

I was trying a modless run, but this has me considering something to make that a bit more forgiving. Combat controls are, but not enough to make fighting multiples of those things ok.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

GotLag posted:

Eels are found in the ocean on rainy days after 4 pm in spring and autumn

And in trash cans.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Saxophone posted:

Oof, speaking of, just unlocked and went to the skull mine for the first time. Could definitely use some tips to make it less intense. I was like, "this isn't so bad" right up until 2 serpent things had their way with me in a span of 10 seconds because they were coming at me from different angles.

I was trying a modless run, but this has me considering something to make that a bit more forgiving. Combat controls are, but not enough to make fighting multiples of those things ok.

Generally, if you want to make the most out of the skull mines: bring stacks of bombs (of the two largest sizes), coffee (or Expresso now) a small stack of +luck food, and a stack of high health food or elixirs, and as many stacks of Stone as you can stand to build stairs.

Then just drop bombs on stone clusters, gather the resources and drop down Holes before Ladders. If the layout forces you to run too far to find rocks, use your stone to build stairs (Build less than 10 stairs to avoid a one-off negative dialogue down the way.)

Combat is kind of pointless in Skull mines because it's so lethal and half the mobs are two-step processes to kill (Big Slimes break into smaller slimes, mummies mist be downed then bombed.)

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Yeah, fishing gets easier with higher levels. Just stick with it and grind out some fishing levels and don't worry too much about more difficult fish slipping by you. At fishing level 6 Willy start selling the Iridium Rod, which is a game-changer because you can attach tackle to it. Trap bobbers are really convenient and cheap to make.

The addition of fish ponds to the game is great, too. If you want large quantities of a specific fish, like for recipes, you can just breed them now provided you have at least one already to stock the pond with. I've got two eel ponds and one sea cucumber pond so far for the purpose of making Spicy Eel and Lucky Lunch dishes. I maybe shouldn't have bothered with the eels since apparently Spicy Eels are sold by the desert merchant for one ruby each, but at least the ponds can be set up much sooner than ruby crystalarium production can.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Fishing has always been terribly unfun to me. The reward for doing it enough should not be “it gets easier.” I haven’t tried the training rod but I’ve found fishing is miserable in previous versions enough that I just hope for the cart to bring in stuff while I slowly Hoover up exp via crab pots.
It’s not the idea of commercialization that leads me to Jojomart, but instead the idea of skipping the god drat fishing bundles.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
My biggest complaint about the fishing mini game is that the legendary fish can be a lot of fun to catch, but you don't really get anything for catching them. Maybe 1.4 added something that I missed in the notes, though.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is there a release date for Switch 1.4 yet?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Saxophone posted:

Tetrabor covered most of the keys to Skull Mine success, but weapons and gear can also make a lot of difference. If you're to the point money doesn't matter, there's no shame buying a better weapon from the Adventurer's Guild, and beyond that Iridium rings and the Galaxy sword are game-changers in terms of making the combat survivable. This is the dungeon delve in the game, so don't be afraid to run away and don't be afraid to bring in lots of bombs and health potions. There's no showdown with the Dragonlord or whatever that you need to save that kinda poo poo up for. I recommend Crab Cakes but Coffee/Espresso/Spicy Eel are also good foods to bring for the speed bonus. If health potions are a bit expensive for your tastes, Sashimi's a good food for restoring HP that doesn't have any buffs that'd overwrite your speed buff from other foods that is easy to cheaply mass produce; crab pots will give you all you could ask for. Like most everything else in the game, there's nothing to be had there you can't get otherwise; Krobus sells iridium sprinklers, and grandpa may judge you worthy to have a statue that just shits out iridium constantly

VVVVV: the former was patched out in 1.4, and for the latter you still have to be able to survive the place at all.

chairface fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 4, 2019

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
My hot tips are to cheat and use the wallpaper glitch to get the galaxy sword, and then cheat further and mod the Mines elevator into Skull Cavern.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Speaking of which, is it just me or have mining drops from enemies fallen off, like, significantly? I've never had a run before now where I felt so pressed for resources and equipment, previously enemies have just dropped most of what I need to get by.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Maybe get one at work Shane?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Why buy it yourself when JojaEats is so convenient?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

This isn’t a 1.4 thing but I had a full inventory in the Mine and a ghost dropped a ghostfish and instead of just sitting on the ground it would flop about everywhere. Gotta love those little details man.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I somehow managed to play almost 30 hours since release of 1.4 and its still as addicting as my first 2 runs. For the first time I'm doing an no ancient seed farming approach, as it just turns into making hundreds of thousands weekly pretty quickly. The fishing buff with iridium fish somehow went past me though, so that's good to know.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Saxophone posted:

Once you reach level 120 in the mines, I suggest knocking out the coal sprite slayer to unlock the burglar ring. This will probably let you find a prismatic shard within the normal mines via mob drops. You can trade it for a galaxy sword, the best weapon at the desert shrine. Equip a burglar ring and a magnet ring and just concentrate on staying alive and killing the large slimes in the first few levels, the burglar ring will double the drops so you're much more likely to find iridium ore from mobs than you are from trying to go deep into the skull mines.

Once you have 5 iridium bars worth, and 50 solar and void essences, you can craft an iridium band that'll give you more damage, magnet and light in one ring slot.

When you're actually feeling like you can make progress in the skull dungeon, you can trade for desert warp totems with the desert trader for 3 omni-geodes. Picking the gemologist path and double geodes in mining really helps with farming them out, but you can still find decent amounts without. You can also trade rubies you find for more spicy eel.

Once you've got level 10 combat, an iridum band and a galaxy sword you can two-or-three shot the serpents. Keep in mind their hitbox is larger than their sprite, so you can swing early and still probably hit them with the tip of your sword. With the burglar ring, killing the purple slimes will generate white algae. You can learn a recipe for pale broth which just requires 2 white algae to make and heals 56 health with no buffs to overwrite your spicy eel buffs. Salads are good if you're flush with cash, otherwise sashimi heals less but is even easier to make with a crab pot farm.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Omelets have always been my go-to food because I'm always flush with milk and eggs.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I think the thing I hated originally was that you only caught gold fish from the farthest cast points, meaning there was like 3 places in the game to catch gold fish and you couldn’t actually catch gold desert fish period.

It’s not still like that is it?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
In places where the body of water is too small to cast your line well away from any land, no you still can't get fish of the highest quality. Making a "perfect" catch now upgrades the quality of the fish by one level, so gold star fish are possible in places where you could only get silver star quality in previous patches, but you won't be able to get iridium star quality.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Blocking with a sword counters the dragons and bats, will block from behind, and stays up longer than a single swing. It helps when they're coming from multiple angles and to get a counter swing or two in.

You can also use specials from other weapons in separate cooldowns from each other. Do with that what you will.

drunkencarp
Feb 14, 2012
What I’m picking up is that everybody is intrigued by Stardew Valley Expanded but nobody has bit the bullet and tried it out.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I'm really not sure why people keep asking and trolling this thread instead of just loading it up and reporting back. The rule of the thread is "do what seems fun", though, I guess.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

ILL Machina posted:

I'm really not sure why people keep asking and trolling this thread instead of just loading it up and reporting back. The rule of the thread is "do what seems fun", though, I guess.

I don't wanna throw 10+ hours into something that winds up being poorly- or worse- edgily written, increases tedium, or unfuns the base game. I'm also almost at year 2 in my current run so starting over is eh. So if I'm gonna go through the slight pain in the dick that modding inevitably tends to be, I'd like to at least try to see if I'm gonna have a good time first.

No different than looking up reviews for a game before sinking time and money into it.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

DF did a video on Stardew Expanded. I like that it dials down the yellow tones on your farm, but I'm not sure I care for all the extra dialogue stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELh7Yd7WLtE

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

AuntBuck posted:

DF did a video on Stardew Expanded. I like that it dials down the yellow tones on your farm, but I'm not sure I care for all the extra dialogue stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELh7Yd7WLtE

that's just the Starblue valley mod

(get starblue valley)

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Mazz posted:

I think the thing I hated originally was that you only caught gold fish from the farthest cast points, meaning there was like 3 places in the game to catch gold fish and you couldn’t actually catch gold desert fish period.

It’s not still like that is it?

Gold fish (and now Iridium) can be caught in every eco-system in a fairly large amount of spots. There's only a small subset that may not always be gold (The Fall-Season Legendary, the specialty fish from the secret-forest, and the desert fish.)

Frida Call Me posted:

Once you reach level 120 in the mines, I suggest knocking out the coal sprite slayer to unlock the burglar ring.

Frida Call Me knows what's up. This is the best gear advice for Mine farming as the Burglar Ring trivializes monster resource drops.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Saxophone posted:

I don't wanna throw 10+ hours into something that winds up being poorly- or worse- edgily written, increases tedium, or unfuns the base game. I'm also almost at year 2 in my current run so starting over is eh. So if I'm gonna go through the slight pain in the dick that modding inevitably tends to be, I'd like to at least try to see if I'm gonna have a good time first.

No different than looking up reviews for a game before sinking time and money into it.

Smapi makes it easy. Play it for a hour. Your Y2 farm is done, anyway.

It's similar to checking reviews that already are posted/exist, but people keep coming back like "welllllll???" and installing/loading up a new save would take fifteen minutes maybe.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

ILL Machina posted:

Smapi makes it easy. Play it for a hour. Your Y2 farm is done, anyway.

It's similar to checking reviews that already are posted/exist, but people keep coming back like "welllllll???" and installing/loading up a new save would take fifteen minutes maybe.

Yeah, I'm looking into it at the moment. I apologize if I sounded snappy in my reply. I wasn't trying to be, but busy season at work + new baby = I don't brain so good at words.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Saxophone posted:

Yeah, I'm looking into it at the moment. I apologize if I sounded snappy in my reply. I wasn't trying to be, but busy season at work + new baby = I don't brain so good at words.

No worries. I was being unnecessarily sarcastic and caustic too.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'mma clock the thing on vanilla (And get them 14-heart events with the ladies) before trying my hand on SMAPI again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was hoping Fishing would be made a little easier, but its still rear end, and all the advice i find online is contradictory, but the easy fishing mod hasn't been updated yet. Which means it crashes the game when using it.

Kind of regretting the hilltop farm, if only because of its annoying layout.