Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i love the punch line of the other guy canceling the meeting because hes hangover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I like the ending that totally happened where he leaves without shaking hands with his nemesis

Yeah, really

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
as someone looking for a new design gig jfc at the part at the beginning where he talks about having to "gain visibility" on twitter in order to get interviewed :smithicide:

i'm ded

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Polo-Rican posted:

as someone looking for a new design gig jfc at the part at the beginning where he talks about having to "gain visibility" on twitter in order to get interviewed :smithicide:

i'm ded

you don't need that poo poo, get a job at a non-tech company and get a few years under your belt

I find it hilarious that things like dribbble exist when most real designers would be fired instantly for using it

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

these are my favourite parts that haven't been mentioned:

quote:

Google+ was such a massive waste of resources. For example, every person at Google gets a corporate card.

The entire design team was given a $500 allowance to buy any device they wanted. 🤦‍♂️

At one point I bought some poo poo I shouldnt have. I just didnt care anymore. Greg brought me to HR and tried to have me fired for it. HR was like, Uhh, I think he understands not do that again. 😆

quote:

About a week later I got on a plane to Google NY to collaborate on this special project. Ironically, the person sitting next to me also worked at Google. They didnt care. Super antisocial.

I thought, I hate this company so much.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

hey guys heads up if you hire me and i get disenchanted, i will buy myself video games on the corporate card

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Endless Mike posted:

i like the part where he talks about spending his vacation doing free labor like it was a good thing
Yeah this would get you in real trouble on my team for setting such a bad example. One person leaving for vacation implied they'd still be checking email and the manager reply-all'd you MUST NOT WORK while on vacation.
Email is work.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

ShadowHawk posted:

Yeah this would get you in real trouble on my team for setting such a bad example. One person leaving for vacation implied they'd still be checking email and the manager reply-all'd you MUST NOT WORK while on vacation.
Email is work.

but if i don't make audible noises of pain when the boss is whipping me, how will they know I care about my job?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

ShadowHawk posted:

Email is work.

i have several times bullied junior team members into taking sick leave when they have a cold. you get 3 consecutive sick days before needing to get a doctor's note. loving use them, stay at home, don't infect your coworkers.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

the one thing, organizationally, that academia has going for it is that among the faculty it's functionally a flat structure

the combination of tenure, union rules, entitlements and Academic Freedom™ mean that nobody has any power over anyone else, so when you get a little dictator like the guy in that g+ story they just end up impotently stamping their feet and yelling while everyone else shrugs and ignores them

my pay sucks compared to industry but man is it nice to not have guys like that breathing down my neck

you mean the academia where tenured faculty frequently sabotage the adjuncts' attempts to unionize to preserve their hierarchy?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

About a week later I got on a plane to Google NY to collaborate on this special project. Ironically, the person sitting next to me also worked at Google. They didnt care. Super antisocial.

I thought, I hate this company so much.

last time I sat next to a coworker on a flight an FA had to tell us to quiet down because we were bothering other passengers lol, it ruled

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
lol wow he was only there 8 months? kinda impressive to unintentionally make multiple people dislike him enough to want him fired in that amount of time.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I love that the legendary Google Interview Process couldn't pick up on the guy being... well whatever you call the kind of person that writes that rant.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Cocoa Crispies posted:

you mean the academia where tenured faculty frequently sabotage the adjuncts' attempts to unionize to preserve their hierarchy?

sage is still drunk on the initial years of teaching and not yet burnt so give em' room :hai:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Shifty Pony posted:

I love that the legendary Google Interview Process couldn't pick up on the guy being... well whatever you call the kind of person that writes that rant.

their idea of the system worked perfectly

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/adrianhon/status/1051899663413104640

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

academia also gets the anonymous sabotage, where you're doing peer review for a paper that conflicts with / supersedes whatever you're working on so you vote against including it in the conference/journal.

i had a paper torpedoed a couple years ago, it described a tool we'd built and based on the comments in the most negative review we were able to figure out who that reviewer was... he was a guy whose entire career at this point was basically maintaining a system that could be made obsolete by our tool. (he shouldn't have really worried, once an academic has selected a tool he will cling to it until either he dies or it is literally impossible to continue using said tool)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Our adjuncts are all unionized already though?

I don't know exactly where you're getting that hierarchy idea from either. Every professor I work with wishes that we could hire all the best lecturers into the tenure track and keep them around full-time. It's the executive bureaucracy that maintains this massive underclass of adjuncts, because that's the cheapest way of putting a warm body at the front of the class. Blame the national attack on education funding for that

Over the last 15 years, the UC system has added something like 8,000 adjunct faculty jobs, lost 150 tenure-track jobs, and added 2500 executive or adminstrative positions.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i guess the provost and president are technically tenured faculty but thats truly a technicality

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

I don't know exactly where you're getting that hierarchy idea from either. Every professor I work with wishes that we could hire all the best lecturers into the tenure track and keep them around full-time. It's the executive bureaucracy that maintains this massive underclass of adjuncts, because that's the cheapest way of putting a warm body at the front of the class. Blame the national attack on education funding for that

Over the last 15 years, the UC system has added something like 8,000 adjunct faculty jobs, lost 150 tenure-track jobs, and added 2500 executive or adminstrative positions.

so was it the national attack on education funding that made UC add 2500 executive/admin positions?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

he was a guy whose entire career at this point was basically maintaining a system that could be made obsolete by our tool. (he shouldn't have really worried, once an academic has selected a tool he will cling to it until either he dies or it is literally impossible to continue using said tool)

Yeah this is absolutely a real thing and probably my single biggest frustration at work. A tenured professor can choose to teach an outdated topic that actively sabotages the students' education and job prospects, refusing to update their own skillset to reflect contemporary practice, and there's essentially no way that anyone can change the situation. There are processes for disciplining or even firing tenured professors, but they're all so massively involved and would draw so much interest from other institutions that no one even wants to touch them. Just try to work around that guy, okay, and try to ignore that we're literally wasting the students' time and money

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sagebrush posted:

A tenured professor can choose to teach an outdated topic that actively sabotages the students' education and job prospects, refusing to update their own skillset to reflect contemporary practice, and there's essentially no way that anyone can change the situation.

ayup

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the problem is even if the prof wanted to teach something current they don't have any idea what it is so they fall back on what they know. if you're going to continue offering tenure part of the conditions should be that they switch off between teaching and working in their field for a few years at a time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pham Nuwen posted:

so was it the national attack on education funding that made UC add 2500 executive/admin positions?

the concept of a university as a corporation, with executive positions not filled by academics, is relatively new. Until the last few decades most universities didn't even have a president -- the provost, as head of all university academics, also was in charge of running the place. When you reduce funding to the point of being unable to maintain your facilities or hire enough faculty to even replace retirements and departures, people start thinking things like "let's get a businessman in here, they know how to work within a tight budget." And as soon as that corporate structure is implanted, it grows to justify its own existence.

I also I believe it's related to the number of middle aged and elderly baby boomers over the last decade or two who have demanded managerial positions like participation trophies. Gotta create those spots for em

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

they are working in their field

the problem is that the field of computer science is math so

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shaggar posted:

the problem is even if the prof wanted to teach something current they don't have any idea what it is so they fall back on what they know. if you're going to continue offering tenure part of the conditions should be that they switch off between teaching and working in their field for a few years at a time.

That isn't true at all. Professors can choose to plug their ears and close their eyes and claim the alchemy they're teaching is contemporary chemistry practice, but the whole point of attending conferences and conducting professional development (which universities are happy to fund) is to understand what's new in your field. In cases where it's a technical skill like a specific computer program or something, it's trivial to glance through some job postings and see what's in demand in industry. Or sometimes, if what you're teaching is so utterly out of date that it's embarrassing for your school, the other faculty will come together and outright tell you to change, and vote to discontinue the topic you're teaching. Only a tremendous rear end in a top hat would ignore all of these signs and stubbornly stay in their rut, right? Hint hint, Dr. X.

I don't disagree about the value of cycling back and forth between industry and academia -- that's what a sabbatical is supposed to be, in an a little less formal sense -- but the problem with deadwood professors is that they're usually being willfully blind. The ones who care about what they're doing will find a way to stay current.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the problem is that in CS the "keeping up with industry" that the professors are doing is machine learning algorithms or whatever

what the undergrads want to get a job is the latest javascript frameworks

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
that dude could have just shut the gently caress up and pocketed tons of money and worked on whatever he wanted to in his ample free time but instead engaged in a massive public self own

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, and that's kind of a fundamental problem in most fields. Universities have the dual mission of educating the populace and conducting advanced research, and those things are often at odds. You need both, but it's rare to find someone who is interested in (or even capable of) doing both effectively. Universities of course put pressure on their professors to conduct research, allowing teaching to slide as long as they're bringing in grant money, because again it comes down to funding. The undergraduate teaching load falls on lecturers and grad students -- and the students suffer for that, because only the full-time faculty have the time and the broader picture to conduct curriculum development and really think hard about student outcomes.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

incels interlinked posted:

that dude could have just shut the gently caress up and pocketed tons of money and worked on whatever he wanted to in his ample free time but instead engaged in a massive public self own

he had to prove that hes right. thats more important than money or career development or saying bye to grandma.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, and that's kind of a fundamental problem in most fields. Universities have the dual mission of educating the populace and conducting advanced research, and those things are often at odds. You need both, but it's rare to find someone who is interested in (or even capable of) doing both effectively. Universities of course put pressure on their professors to conduct research, allowing teaching to slide as long as they're bringing in grant money, because again it comes down to funding. The undergraduate teaching load falls on lecturers and grad students -- and the students suffer for that, because only the full-time faculty have the time and the broader picture to conduct curriculum development and really think hard about student outcomes.

tbh 100 years ago when I was in school the grad students were generally much better at actually teaching materials cause they were still mostly human

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Sagebrush posted:

community colleges in ontario had a dream where they said "what if we became uber" and hired on a bunch of peripheral staff to teach classes as gigs instead of careers, then wages plummeted and the lot of them went on strike demanding the colleges and/or the government fix it

so naturally the government passed back to work legislation and told the teachers to frig off

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

incels interlinked posted:

this seems to be a computer toucher problem. look at ol musky

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sure, a lot of research-focused professors are just awful in the classroom. But classroom presence is only part of teaching effectively. Curricular development -- building a program's classes and learning outcomes so that the students are taken through their study in a logical and effective way, and ensuring that one class sequences properly into the next -- is just as important. Grad students and lecturers don't have the time or purview to do that

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Sagebrush posted:

ensuring that one class sequences properly into the next

first c++ class final huge project: write your own custom class with 4 objects in it! woof!
second c++ class first day: write and traverse this 20 node red black tree you idiot

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

the problem is that in CS the "keeping up with industry" that the professors are doing is machine learning algorithms or whatever

what the undergrads want to get a job is the latest javascript frameworks

the computer science classes that were actually about computer science were interesting though, and when i can step back from intensive computer touching for a loving second and like just try to think about e.g. if this function is going to scale O(n) or O(n^3) it's both enjoyable and useful.

teaching the latest javascript framework is useless because by the time you graduate it's now the N-2 javascript framework and all the kids who went to CODING BOOTCAMP last week will make fun of you. take software engineering if you want to learn agile waterfall scrum development for javascript mvp tech demos, imo

i took a class in "cybernetics" (machine learning + EEG wires stuck to your skin, basically) and it kind of sucked because it was all hacky bullshit implemented in matlab. that was 2010 though so maybe poo poo's better now.

operating systems was the best course i took in the cs dept.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

i took a class in "cybernetics" (machine learning + EEG wires stuck to your skin, basically) and it kind of sucked because it was all hacky bullshit implemented in matlab. that was 2010 though so maybe poo poo's better now.

yeah its probably in numpy now

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
had a meeting a couple weeks ago and a person was like 'wow what if the students just ran their own isolated docker instance to etc/etc/etc' and i was like 'lol they only started teaching version control two years ago'

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

graph posted:

had a meeting a couple weeks ago and a person was like 'wow what if the students just ran their own isolated docker instance to etc/etc/etc' and i was like 'lol they only started teaching version control two years ago'

they started teaching version control?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
theres computer science and theres software development. different disciplines. college should teach you data structures and algorithms and complexity. thats computer science. they should then teach you engineering principles to deal with these.
unfortunately to bootstrap these they need to teach you some stupid language. hopefully its something somewhat practical but with minimal complexity to get in your way while you learn the important stuff.

• Locked thread