Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I’ve been interested in The Dying Grass by Vollman but I imagine I would get sick of the format long before I read all the 1000 pages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

blue squares posted:

I’ve been interested in The Dying Grass by Vollman but I imagine I would get sick of the format long before I read all the 1000 pages

I love Vollmann but that one is hard work to read. Lucky Star is pretty good, as is Royal Family. His nonfiction is much better though.

Edit: of course I should mention You Bright and Risen Angels, which I think is as good a debut novel as any in postwar lit

mdemone fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 17, 2021

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

I love when McSweeneys is funny which is why it's such a rare treat.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Solaris is badass. I like its anti-anthropomorphic approach to alien life. Extraterrestrials would not necessarily be four-limbed, two-eyed beings like us despite how overdone such a thing is in sci-fi and pop culture. What is cool about Solaris is that the ocean must take decades to understand because it is unlike anything known in the universe.

Makes me wonder what other lit is out there with a similar treatments of aliens (i.e. its otherworldly incomprehensibility). Lovecraft's Colour Out of Space, the short story the movie Arrival is based on, and I guess 2001? Surely there are others.

fiasco by lem, eden by lem, the invincible by lem, basically half of what he wrote does that kind of thing. fiasco is cool because it's like solaris mixed with dr strangelove. it has a priest character that i liked too

i don't like lovecraft though. lovecraft is a dead end and i don't think he's very similar to lem. lem is more like pynchon or melville or something

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i got a big book of medoruma shun stories that im reading in japanese. it's slow going because i read japanese at toddler speed but the stories are short and good. i really think he's a great author and should be read more but even in japan nobody ever knows who he is when i mention him

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I got a copy of A Moveable Feast for a song but I’ve never read Hemingway.

How similar is it to Down and Out in Paris and London? I liked that one and a less “holy poo poo this guy is poor” version sounds like a good read to me.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
Any recommendations for Murakami? I’d like to read about 3 or so books to get a good feel for his writing to see if I connect. I’ve heard Norwegian Wood mentioned in this thread.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
sorry but i have to quote this whenever murakami is mentioned

derp posted:

She thought of Ayumi Nakano, the lonely policewoman who, one August night, wound up in a hotel room in Shibuya, handcuffed, strangled with a bathrobe belt. A troubled young woman walking toward the abyss of destruction. She had had beautiful breasts as well. Aomame mourned the deaths of these two friends deeply. It saddened her to think that these women were forever gone from the world. And she mourned their lovely breasts—breasts that had vanished without a trace.

Murakami is garbage

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

George R.R. Murakami.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
to actually answer your question, i've only read two. avoid 1Q84 (where that quote was from, and also contains child sex as a major plotline)

Hardboiled Wonderland was okay

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
A few novels by women I've read in the last 12 months, so that this thread has some books by women in it
  • Fleishman Is In Trouble by Taffy Brodesser-Akner (who's possibly better known as the Paula Deen cruise journalist): hilarious! Kind of myopically focused on upper-class Manhattanites, but I read that focus as an indictment of that culture tbh. And the frame narration is clever and interesting
  • All Passion Spent by Vita Sackville-West: Virginia Woolf is the better writer of this power couple; atmospheric and reflective, which makes sense, but very mannerly and buttoned-up. I haven't read Orlando yet and I imagine that an A-B of that book and this one would be bizarre
  • Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier: horny and shuddering with agonized inward turmoil, in that early 20s way. Wish I had read this 5 years ago. Suspenseful and gothic in a way few 20th-century authors seem to be able to nail
  • My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Ottessa Moshfegh: I've already spoken about my love for Ottessa Moshfegh in this thread; let it be known that she is truly horrible in the best way and seems to be daring you to make a face
Looking forward to getting into Arundhati Roy's The God of Small Things and Niviaq Korneliussen's Last Night in Nuuk after this!! If I can find the latter at the library :X

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

The North Tower posted:

Any recommendations for Murakami? I’d like to read about 3 or so books to get a good feel for his writing to see if I connect. I’ve heard Norwegian Wood mentioned in this thread.

His non-fic is good, especially Underground, a book based around interviews with victims of the Tokyo sarin attack. I liked his running book too, but I was VERY MUCH into running at the time.

To get a taste of his style, I would say The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is the fully evolved Murakami novel with all the elements that make people love or hate him. It’s also an attempt to deal with Japan’s right wing politics, but a clumsy one, with all the sex weirdness and stuff. But I’d agree with derp, Hard-Boiled Wonderland stands up on its own as probably the best.

e: I’ve also seen Kafka On the Shore as a stage play. My wife complained about the boy loving his mother in the play, so I made a mental note to bring someone else to the Greek tragedy festival.

Take the plunge! Okay! fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 25, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Rolo posted:

I got a copy of A Moveable Feast for a song but I’ve never read Hemingway.

How similar is it to Down and Out in Paris and London? I liked that one and a less “holy poo poo this guy is poor” version sounds like a good read to me.

I haven't read Down & Out, but Moveable Feast has a top notch anecdote about F. Scott Fitzgeralds dick

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Just started The Adversary by Carrere and boy howdy.

derp posted:

sorry but i have to quote this whenever murakami is mentioned

Listen, man. Everyone mourns differently.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Carthag Tuek posted:

I haven't read Down & Out, but Moveable Feast has a top notch anecdote about F. Scott Fitzgeralds dick

I’ll let you know when I get to that part.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Rolo posted:

I’ll let you know when I get to that part.

Please do. There's a bunch of other excellent stuff in there, but that one really stayed with me lol

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ok cool, I guess my other question was a general “is this worth reading” and the answer seems to be yes.

I’m on a weekend trip in the mountains with some friends but I’ll have afternoons to myself so reading this on the porch with a glass of whisky sounds nice.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oh yeah no rush for my sake, im drinking whiskey right now & probably wont check in over the weekend anyway

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Rolo posted:

I’m on a weekend trip in the mountains with some friends but I’ll have afternoons to myself so reading this on the porch with a glass of whisky sounds nice.

I'm also about to go on a mountain trip. Bringing along An Episode in the Life of a Landscape Painter and The Peregrine :D

snailshell posted:

[*] Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier: horny and shuddering with agonized inward turmoil, in that early 20s way. Wish I had read this 5 years ago. Suspenseful and gothic in a way few 20th-century authors seem to be able to nail

I read her short story collection which included The Birds* and Don't Look Now. Both were good. However, everything else was unmemorable. In retrospect I would've just gone with Rebecca, though I may check it out in the future. *this may have been a rip-off of an earlier story, actually.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

The North Tower posted:

Instead of reading Norwegian Wood, read the books that he takes from to cobble together Norwegian Wood. The Magic Mountain, Beneath the Wheel, The Great Gatsby, Catcher in the Rye, probably a few others I'm forgetting. You'll be better off, they are better books.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I read her short story collection which included The Birds* and Don't Look Now. Both were good. However, everything else was unmemorable. In retrospect I would've just gone with Rebecca, though I may check it out in the future. *this may have been a rip-off of an earlier story, actually.
A lost short story of hers was recently found! It's about a man who falls in love with a violinist, but she turns out to own a male sex doll which she loves above all other men (she is also, weirdly, named Rebecca).

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

My Murakami knowledge is limited, but I enjoyed Pinball, 1973 in college, and that's just novella-length if you want to try his stuff out without a full book commitment.

Comedy option: accidentally buy a Ryu Murakami instead and have a weird one

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I finished Homer's Iliad and it was good. Is Virgil's Aeneid the next step? Should i jump forward to Herodotus? Maybe take a break from Classics and read Cormac McCarthy?

Also curious about the Iliad's impact on culture through the ages. If there are any good nonfiction books y'all like on that subject shout em out.

I also want to read Hearing Homer's Song about Milman Perry but i dunno if it's any good. Seems a interesting chap though

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I read Lolita. The second part went in many directions that I didn't all find compelling. I did appreciate the book as a glimpse of life in postwar America, though the author speaks of such reading as "childish" in the afterword. The dialogues from the school head master were incredibly hilarious, though they do feel a little out of place.

FPyat fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 26, 2021

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

FPyat posted:

I read Lolita. The second part went in many directions that I didn't all find compelling. I did appreciate the book as a glimpse of life in postwar America, though the author speaks of such reading as "childish" in the afterword. The dialogues from the school head master were incredibly hilarious, though they do feel a little out of place.

It is highly amusing to imagine Nabokov's reactions to reader critiques. I love that he just flat insulted you in the afterword; he is big smart author and you are little dumb reader, just ask him!

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Duck Rodgers posted:

Instead of reading Norwegian Wood, read the books that he takes from to cobble together Norwegian Wood. The Magic Mountain, Beneath the Wheel, The Great Gatsby, Catcher in the Rye, probably a few others I'm forgetting. You'll be better off, they are better books.

Thanks—I couldn’t find Beneath the Wheel but I got The Magic Mountain instead. Have read the other 2 in high school.

Also got: the African Trilogy (had only read Things Fall Apart before, but it was cheaper to buy a 1 volume version than the other 2, and I’ll donate TFA to save space), Tokarczuk’s Flights, James’s The Book of Night Women, Atwood’s Surfacing, Dewitt’s Some Trick, some Karen Russell books, Whitehead’s The Nickel Boys, Solstad’s Novel 11 Book 18, and my last unread Saunders: Reign of Phil. Feeling like a kid at Christmas.

Just noticed that The Book of Night Women and Chamoiseau’s Texaco have the same painting on the covers.

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jun 26, 2021

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

apophenium posted:

I finished Homer's Iliad and it was good. Is Virgil's Aeneid the next step? Should i jump forward to Herodotus? Maybe take a break from Classics and read Cormac McCarthy?
The Odyssey is a good next option too.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I was going to suggest the Odyssey; the Aeneid was written ~800ish years later and is a product of Rome rather than Greece. So the Odyssey, maybe the Cypria, little Iliad or Oresteia ( the Aeschylus plays Agamemnon, Eumenides, and The Libation Bearers) if it's Greek accounts of the war and its aftermath you're after.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The North Tower posted:

murakami sucks but if you absolutely must read him i guess start with his first novel, hear the wind sing, which i thought was okay at the time

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
e: nevermind, already answered

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I think I may have discovered what McCarthy was referencing in the opening line of Blood Meridian? It's from Margaret by Sylvester Judd, this incredibly verbose 1840s American transcendentalist novel that McCarthy may very well have read as research. Am I jumping to conclusions here?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I think the concept of looking at a child is probably a coincidence, but I want to read this book now.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I think the concept of looking at a child is probably a coincidence, but I want to read this book now.

I thought the same thing. But remember that this book was written pretty much exactly when Blood Meridian is set and it seems like THE book that a writer like McCarthy would go to for obscure 19th century provincial jargon. Completely different part of the country, but still. Anyway, I'm only a few chapters in. We'll see how my theory holds up once I've finished it. But so far Judd's overwritten optimistic transcendentalism seems like the very thing McCarthy was subverting with his sparse, perverse gnosticism.

As for the book, here you go, chief: https://www2.newpaltz.edu/~hathawar/margaret.html

EDIT: Looks like that's just part 1. Whole thing is here (though I'm not sure it's the uncensored text.) https://archive.org/details/margaretatalere02juddgoog/page/n190/mode/2up

Carly Gay Dead Son fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 29, 2021

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

https://www.wordswithoutborders.org/article/three-stories-from-the-streets-of-koza

i think i once posted a medoruma shun short story here in translation, here's a link to a few more. i really think he rules. the stories are short enough to read in like 5 minutes. what i like especially is that they're very sensual, all about detailed descriptions of specific feelings or substances, usually weird or hosed up ones, and usually contain some kind of sinister conclusion or mysterious event

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

he and his work are also of the "no bullshit" variety of postcolonial writing. no mysticism or spirituality, no fussing about one's narcissistic identity, just simple anger and confusion, expressed honestly and plainly

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

EDIT: Looks like that's just part 1. Whole thing is here (though I'm not sure it's the uncensored text.) https://archive.org/details/margaretatalere02juddgoog/page/n190/mode/2up
That is the original version. The 1851 version has "REVISED EDITION" on the title page.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Shibawanko posted:

https://www.wordswithoutborders.org/article/three-stories-from-the-streets-of-koza

i think i once posted a medoruma shun short story here in translation, here's a link to a few more. i really think he rules. the stories are short enough to read in like 5 minutes. what i like especially is that they're very sensual, all about detailed descriptions of specific feelings or substances, usually weird or hosed up ones, and usually contain some kind of sinister conclusion or mysterious event

thanks! i remember you posted some before, they're great. very poetic prose :) (and yeah, sisister)

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 30, 2021

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Carthag Tuek posted:

thanks! i remember you posted some before, they're great. very poetic prose :) (and yeah, sisister)

of those stories i particularly like "flowers", just the image of a dog looking up (which they hardly ever do naturally) is unsettling

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Found a cool bookstore with ton of cheap used books in Brooklyn called Human Relations; I've quickly accumulated an even larger pile of unread books that I had previously, since I haven't been reading consistently for awhile now. What book from list should I pick up first in my attempt at rekindle habit of reading? The Brothers Karamazov is my favorite book fyi.

quote:

Turgenev - Fathers & Sons / Smoke
Dostoyevsky - The Double and Other Stories
Tolstoy - Hadji Murad
Gogol - The Overcoat & Other Tales of Good and Evil
Dumas - Twenty Years Later (i gently caress with Three Musketeers & Monte Cristo a lot)
Steinbeck - East of Eden
Burroughs - Junky

Also reconsidering trying to finally finish Don Quixote, or re-read The Brothers Karamazov with potentially 'better' translation/just for the fact I've only truly read it once over.
As you can see fiction is what interests me, though some nonfiction stuff has recently piqued my interest. Stuff like biography of cocaine cowboy Jon Roberts "American Desperado," or CIA related/American history like 'The Devil's Chessboard: Allen Dulles, the CIA, and the Rise of America's Secret Government" by David Talbot.
But I digress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

knox posted:

Found a cool bookstore with ton of cheap used books in Brooklyn called Human Relations; I've quickly accumulated an even larger pile of unread books that I had previously, since I haven't been reading consistently for awhile now. What book from list should I pick up first in my attempt at rekindle habit of reading? The Brothers Karamazov is my favorite book fyi.

Also reconsidering trying to finally finish Don Quixote, or re-read The Brothers Karamazov with potentially 'better' translation/just for the fact I've only truly read it once over.
As you can see fiction is what interests me, though some nonfiction stuff has recently piqued my interest. Stuff like biography of cocaine cowboy Jon Roberts "American Desperado," or CIA related/American history like 'The Devil's Chessboard: Allen Dulles, the CIA, and the Rise of America's Secret Government" by David Talbot.
But I digress.

Twenty Years Later un-cut is superbly boring. I don't think anything really happens until about four centimetres in. But if you like Dumas then go for it.

e: I know Dumas isn't real literature by any stretch but since I wasn't the one who brought it up: I just started reading (I probably read it as a kid but that was over 30 years ago so I don't really remember much about it) the first Three Musketeers book and it's amazing how much less boring it is than the (official) sequel - things actually happen! It's like at some point in between the author just forgot how to write a story.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 16, 2021