Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I'm not remotely involved, I don't even think CDPR is involved, but I could be wrong. Regardless, my (limited) understanding is that the people who do our cinematics* are the people doing the movie, but I could be totally mistaken, you all probably know more than I do.

*Two different companies do our cinematics, I know very little about either.
From what I know CDPR has nothing to do with it and the movie is supposed to be made by Platige Image and directed by Baginski. Baginski directed The Witcher 2 trailer with Letho, The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt trailer with the hanging and the Cyberpunk trailer. He is pretty well known in the Polish film industry as at the beginning of his career he was nominated for an actual Oscar for an animation short that he made completely by himself. I have no idea if he's capable of directing a feature film but for shorts he's a genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Buschmaki posted:

I thought the game being set in not-Poland was super obvious, since Redania's coat of arms is the friggin polish eagle and everyone wears bright red.

And could Nilffgaard be Prussia/Tuetonic orders?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
No. I think you're taking the "Witcher setting is literally just fantasy Poland" thing way too far now guys. I mean there's references and elements of their mythology but it's a much broader pastiche of late medieval/early modern Europe than you're giving it credit for.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Ruggington posted:

I'm very tempted to respec out of side effects just because of how god damned obnoxious Cat is

get that white honey

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

HORMELCHILI posted:

get that white honey

but my decoctions!!!!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've played enough to get a feel of how my Geralt is being played. He won't kill anyone unless he has to, but if you gently caress with him you're not going to like it. He'll take the money from contracts but won't try to get more than what was offered. Oh and he really, loving hates Witch Hunters and their church.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Use a torch instead of cat.

Speaking of white honey, I used superior white honey when fighting the super high level spider boss and every attack healed me.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

twistedmentat posted:

I've played enough to get a feel of how my Geralt is being played. He won't kill anyone unless he has to, but if you gently caress with him you're not going to like it. He'll take the money from contracts but won't try to get more than what was offered. Oh and he really, loving hates Witch Hunters and their church.

That one witch hunter who hangs with the Baron's daughter is OK. But I derived an unreasonable amount of pleasure from accidentally luring a level 30-something basilisk (from the "Dowry" treasure hunt) into Oxenfurt, where it slaughtered hundreds of Redanian soldiers and witch hunters.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Jack of Hearts posted:

That one witch hunter who hangs with the Baron's daughter is OK. But I derived an unreasonable amount of pleasure from accidentally luring a level 30-something basilisk (from the "Dowry" treasure hunt) into Oxenfurt, where it slaughtered hundreds of Redanian soldiers and witch hunters.

Oh man, this is a cool idea.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Fooz posted:

Use a torch instead of cat.

The problem is Side Effects rolling a Cat effect and turning my screen into a searing eye sore for three minutes

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

I'm playing Hearts of Stone for the second time and I went back up to Olgierd's room where you speak with him for the first time. (really minor spoilers) I found a letter which is from the Borsodis' Auction House.

Oh and also (ending spoilers for the base game) In the witcher Ciri ending, you can spot a dwarf in a bush who runs away as you get close. If you chase him, you find out it's one of the dwarves from the Isle of Mists, and his buddies are here. He runs away again as Nilfgaardian soldiers run up. If you choose not to betray them, the dwarves tell you that they stole a chalice from the new Nilfgaardian lord for Mr. Mirrory. I wonder if there are any references to Blood and Wine in the game already.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Beeez posted:

Oh man, this is a cool idea.

Enemies are generally programmed to leave you alone after you've fled for a certain distance. Not that one, though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jack of Hearts posted:

Yea, the two of them seemed sensible, like Eternal Flame actually brought the poor girl comfort, and the Witch Hunter seemed more reasonable. But i get the feeling the rest are a bunch of jerks who want to burn everyone they can.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I'm glad I was playing around with signs during novigrad so I could burn every witch hunter alive

especially nathaniel

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Ruggington posted:

I'm glad I was playing around with signs during novigrad so I could burn every witch hunter alive

especially nathaniel

I went for that ironic death with him as well.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Swedish Horror posted:

Oh and also (ending spoilers for the base game) In the witcher Ciri ending, you can spot a dwarf in a bush who runs away as you get close. If you chase him, you find out it's one of the dwarves from the Isle of Mists, and his buddies are here. He runs away again as Nilfgaardian soldiers run up. If you choose not to betray them, the dwarves tell you that they stole a chalice from the new Nilfgaardian lord for Mr. Mirrory. I wonder if there are any references to Blood and Wine in the game already.

He's worried about the soldiers? Those little shits stole my boat and ditched me! You better believe that's a paddlin.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, the two of them seemed sensible, like Eternal Flame actually brought the poor girl comfort, and the Witch Hunter seemed more reasonable. But i get the feeling the rest are a bunch of jerks who want to burn everyone they can.

Talked about this before but still disappointed that they obviously had to cut some content for those two. There's no way that reasonable witch hunter's cough wasn't meant to come up later, possibly as a disease that can only be healed by magic or something. Same with the House of Respite that you can enter if you wear Nilfgaardian clothing but there's actually nothing to do there. I'd love to hear what the original plans for that place were.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
whoops

Meta-Mollusk fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 6, 2015

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Is there a good place to buy cave troll liver in patch 1.11, or respawnably farm it?

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Did you check the unmarked troll cave in western Ard Skellig? It has three hostile easter egg trolls and I think one of the Wolven gear quests takes you there.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Talked about this before but still disappointed that they obviously had to cut some content for those two. There's no way that reasonable witch hunter's cough wasn't meant to come up later, possibly as a disease that can only be healed by magic or something. Same with the House of Respite that you can enter if you wear Nilfgaardian clothing but there's actually nothing to do there. I'd love to hear what the original plans for that place were.

I feel the same way about the Sorceresses' Lodge. End game builds them to be very important, you rescue a couple of em, and you need to do some quests here and there, but most of them barely factor into the narrative. The blind one was important but the ones we saved/died? The Lodge never even got one of those little off-shoot endings, we basically have no idea where Phillipa goes or what happens to the others. I hope the next expansion is involved in the Lodge and in those two folks you mention, a bunch of interesting characters we heavily invest in with little pay-off.. I need a Witcher 4.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Lodge cut contentThere's still dialogue files in the game of Yennefer getting Philippa and co shipped off to Nilfgaard to be executed.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I'm confused about Gwent. The first round i have, but the second confuses me. I keep losing it because I cannot play any cards and the opponent can.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
You can always just pass and conserve it for a third round if you've won the first one and they bust out their big stuff for round 2.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Sharmat posted:

You can always just pass and conserve it for a third round if you've won the first one and they bust out their big stuff for round 2.

Ah that would explain why the baron didn't play any cards in the first round except for one.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Now that I've finally reached the end game I can play with non-north decks. A fun thing to do with monsters has been to play most of your tough single (non-muster) creatures in round 1 + cow, then even if you do nothing in round two you'll give them something to waste a few cards on. Or ideally have one of each muster group and plonk down an army each round. With full vampires and the three crones you can make every round into a haymaker.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Well, I didn't expect the Baron's questline to end quite that way. drat.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

Well, I didn't expect the Baron's questline to end quite that way. drat.

It can end many ways. What happened? :allears:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tirranek posted:

It can end many ways. What happened? :allears:

Well, i freed the spirit under the tree, which freed the kids from the Crones. Then I returned to the Baron and told him his wife was with them. Went with him to the swamp and found his wife transformed into a water hag. Killed the monsters, then went and freed her from the curse after finding Johnny. But she died in front of the Baron and their daughter. Baron told me to meet him back at his castle for my reward, and when I got there he was dead.

Something tells me this will screw things up a lot.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

Well, i freed the spirit under the tree, which freed the kids from the Crones. Then I returned to the Baron and told him his wife was with them. Went with him to the swamp and found his wife transformed into a water hag. Killed the monsters, then went and freed her from the curse after finding Johnny. But she died in front of the Baron and their daughter. Baron told me to meet him back at his castle for my reward, and when I got there he was dead.

No it's self contained. It doesn't affect anything else.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Not really. (baron spoilers)Regardless of your actions the baron goes away and his lieutennant or whatever takes over and the baron's men rape and pillage the surrounding countryside :\

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Not really. (baron spoilers)Regardless of your actions the baron goes away and his lieutennant or whatever takes over and the baron's men rape and pillage the surrounding countryside :\

Ah so the only way to win is not to play. Can't I just kill them all? I could do it.

God drat, now I gotta find Triss.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Afterwards geralt and all the people still talk about the baron as if he was still there

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Jusupov posted:

Afterwards geralt and all the people still talk about the baron as if he was still there

And Radovid mentioned the crystal during "Reason of State" even though I had not given it to him. Sile de Tansarville appears in the list of characters even if she doesn't appear in the game.

DankRhymer
Apr 21, 2003
Grizzlier than your average pirate
"This is my story, not yours. Now let me finish it."

I'm late to the party but that line gave me loving goosebumps. First game in awhile that I've actually been kinda bummed to finish since I became so involved in the world and the characters. Oh well, time for Hearts of Stone!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I feel like I missed something in Towerful of Mice. I took her bones to her lover, where she showed her true self. But what of the talking mouse in the notes? The experiments? Where these just a backdrop? I found a mouse that squealed like a human, but couldn't find a way to interact with it (mind control resulted in another shriek).

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I feel like I missed something in Towerful of Mice. I took her bones to her lover, where she showed her true self. But what of the talking mouse in the notes? The experiments? Where these just a backdrop? I found a mouse that squealed like a human, but couldn't find a way to interact with it (mind control resulted in another shriek).

The experiments will be elaborated on a bit later, though I never found the mouse you're describing, that's kind of interesting.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Rinkles posted:

That's far from the biggest thing you missed in that quest, I'd say.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Crappy Jack posted:

That's far from the biggest thing you missed in that quest, I'd say.

Meaning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Rinkles posted:

Meaning?

Bringing her bones to the mainland allows her to spread the plague, as opposed to keeping it confined to the island. If you go back to that village later, everybody has died.