Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

oystertoadfish posted:

every community has to work through these feelings, including SA grandmas who post drama :glomp:

:haw:
That's drama Queen to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Falling into a depression and abandoning all hope doesn't help anyone though.
At this point the only thing trailing me back into (brief) hopelessness on the part of climate change is reading other people being hopeless about it and it's infectious. I've made my peace with the predictions and outcomes for several years now.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Grouchio posted:

but I quickly bounced back

Apparently not if you continue to hijack unrelated threads to talk about yourself constantly.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Can you all please loving stop with your bleak-rear end Doomsday poo poo on my goddamn Saturday evening I WILL CALL THE POLICE and I'm white so you're all gonna get in trouble dammit

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I am raising all your library fines by five American goddamn dollars.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

it actually does. the death and burial of a first world person has a significant positive impact on their carbon footprint

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Alaois posted:

the continuing saga of learning everyone who posts in PYF is a fuckin grandparent apparently

pyf is like a nursing home where no one's family visits them because they're just too depressing

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The extent of empathy for strangers should be "that sucks" or "I'm sorry" and then getting back to caring about those closest to you. Anything more and you're gonna get burned out.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Goons are helpful sometimes, though. :confused:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Climate change is bad, especially when the people in power are corrupt idiots who subscribe to a "gently caress you, got mine" climate policy. There is good news, though:

1-The Earth will survive
2-Life finds a way (even if it's not human life)
3-It's going to be a hell of a lot easier for humanity to adjust to the changes on Earth than spending time and money moving the population to planets with 25% of our gravity (Mars) or a corrosive and stifling atmosphere (Venus), and that will hopefully be the great punchline when Elon Musk tries to tunnel his way to Mars

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

The extent of empathy for strangers should be "that sucks" or "I'm sorry" and then getting back to caring about those closest to you. Anything more and you're gonna get burned out.

lmao

"got any spare change?"
"tsk. what have you done for me lately?"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Crocoswine posted:

pyf is like a nursing home where no one's family visits them because they're just too depressing

Dang, son

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sebmojo posted:

Dang, son

Have we talked about the chickencheese thread here? Because that's my favourite sa saga

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It has been discussed.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

sebmojo posted:

Have we talked about the chickencheese thread here? Because that's my favourite sa saga

That thread was all kinds of awesome

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
What is this "chickencheese thread," pray tell?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Bogus Adventure posted:

What is this "chickencheese thread," pray tell?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3498320

It's magnificent.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It starts with an insular fight between food nerds and expands into a subforum traveling epic where everyone takes the core premise v seriously

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I've asked about this once before in this thread and nobody could find it, but I'm going to try again:

Many years ago there was a thread, I'm 90% sure in GBS version 1, about someone teaching in rural China, and somehow he was doing an assignment where the students had to write questions that they had for LGBT people, and he posted those questions in the thread. The questions were about what you would expect from a rural conservative society with no sex education and only second- or third-hand experience with openly gay people, stuff like "why did you choose to like men" or "aren't your parents angry you won't give them grandkids" or "I read that gay people get AIDS, aren't you worried about AIDS?" Innocently ignorant stuff. This being the bad old days of GBS there were plenty of earnest replies but there was also a very vocal minority posting "hey OP, give this to your students: 'dear student, how loving dare you. How can you be so stupid, it's not our job to educate you ...'" I think the thread was closed or gassed because it devolved into a slap fight.

Does anyone else remember this thread, or did I just dream it?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

lmao

"got any spare change?"
"tsk. what have you done for me lately?"

e: Though I understand hope is necessary for some folks to keep going, it is not for me and yet here I am posting about it.

Shifty Nipples has a new favorite as of 02:16 on Aug 11, 2019

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Shifty Nipples posted:

e: Though I understand hope is necessary for some folks to keep going, it is not for me and yet here I am posting about it.

Yes, this is not the thread for this conversation. This is not directed to you specifically, but to all involved.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Moon Slayer posted:

Does anyone else remember this thread, or did I just dream it?

It was an A/T thread iirc but you hit the nail right on the head from what I remember. It was a fascinating look at how differently LGBT stuff is looked at in China, like some of the questions weren't offensive they were just... Out there.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Don Gato posted:

It was an A/T thread iirc but you hit the nail right on the head from what I remember. It was a fascinating look at how differently LGBT stuff is looked at in China, like some of the questions weren't offensive they were just... Out there.

I remember a lengthy thread about someone talking about their experience teaching in China, but I'm not sure it was the same one. Could be, though - I remember it covering a lot of ground.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Day I Got Cookie

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Day I Got Cookie

why you throw chip

White Genocide
Feb 22, 2010

i cant find the scuba diver flame war can anyone link?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Can you all please loving stop with your bleak-rear end Doomsday poo poo on my goddamn Saturday evening I WILL CALL THE POLICE and I'm white so you're all gonna get in trouble dammit

Well, I will not be blackmailed by some ineffectual, privileged, effete, soft-penis'd, debutante. You want to start a street fight with me bring it on but you're gonna be surprised by how ugly it gets, you don't even know my real name- I'm the loving lizard king!

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Robert California deserves more love on The Office.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

I vaguely remember, this was either a really big thread or one of the rotating subforums, where only positive input was allowed. Sounds like a good idea right? Except goons took it and ran to its logical extreme where it was all kind of tongue in cheek, borderline Orwellian "That doesn't sound all that cheerful to me Citizen :):):):)" nonsense hellscape. This sounds incredibly vague as I try to type it out, anyone else remember this or did I imagine it in some kind of fever dream?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

White Genocide posted:

Is that the Egregious Stroke thread?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

bulletsponge13 posted:

Robert California deserves more love on The Office.

Agreed entirely, extremely underrated character and James Spader did an amazing job. However, I caution you that my penis is always diamond-hard.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

fuzzy_logic posted:

I vaguely remember, this was either a really big thread or one of the rotating subforums, where only positive input was allowed. Sounds like a good idea right? Except goons took it and ran to its logical extreme where it was all kind of tongue in cheek, borderline Orwellian "That doesn't sound all that cheerful to me Citizen :):):):)" nonsense hellscape. This sounds incredibly vague as I try to type it out, anyone else remember this or did I imagine it in some kind of fever dream?

I thought that was byob

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Is that the Egregious Stroke thread?

Absolute loving stroke probably runs his tanks at 200 psi 17/83 oxy helium mix :doh:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Agreed entirely, extremely underrated character and James Spader did an amazing job. However, I caution you that my penis is always diamond-hard.

I've never been a fan of him- my wife loves him. He just always seemed to play the same character to me in everything I'd seen. Then I watched Boston Legal, which needs more love.
After seeing him not be Robert California, I decided that Spader plays himself in most things, and starting loving California with the mental image of it being how he is IRL.

When he drinks the Coconut Penis energy drink, then says he misses original flavor- straight penis flavored, loving kills me.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

fuzzy_logic posted:

I think this was Lovedump.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

purple death ray posted:

I thought that was byob

it's pyf

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Thank you. This is the shortest version of what I was trying to say all along in other threads.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Elephant Ambush posted:

Thank you. This is the shortest version of what I was trying to say all along in other threads.

Unfortunately depression isn't really rational like that. Once you start falling into a pit everything just seems worse and worse.
Sometimes you find reasons to make things seem worse. And since we live in a 24hr news cycle, everyone is competing to see how terrible they can tell you the world is now.

It's why it's extra terrible that D&D can turn into such a toxic swamp. I had to stop reading the USPOL thread for a while because after a while it just turns into a non-stop depression wank fest.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

White Genocide posted:

Citizen are you referring to SEA PATROL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

as a defective sadbrain it just pisses me off when people try to drag people down into the despair hole with them. If you actually possess empathy gently caress off with that poo poo, you're still just making things worse for everyone else