Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I've heard of putting a litterbox that the cat has done business in outside. By the door or something. It'll catch whiff of its own brand is the reasoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah I had inside/outside cats growing up and if it were Pepper I wouldn't be worried, she'd come straight back. Peridot is an insanely skittish creature, it was six months before she'd let me touch her and she was acting especially skittish for the last few days, scuttling around the house like she used to before she became friends with Pepper. I'm just a bit concerned she's so freaked out she'll hole up for days or decide it's no longer safe in the house at all or something.

I've left the cat carrier out with one of her favourite things to sleep on and some water and I'm hoping she comes back when it starts to cool down a bit or at least when it's getting closer to her normal food time. Might even take Pepper out on her harness as bait since Peridot is madly in love with her.

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 28, 2017

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Organza Quiz posted:

I've left the cat carrier out with one of her favourite things to sleep on and some water and I'm hoping she comes back when it starts to cool down a bit or at least when it's getting closer to her normal food time. Might even take Pepper out on her harness as bait since Peridot is madly in love with her.

I think that's actually a really good idea! Cats certainly respond to stuff like that. At my Father's place over the last 30-some-odd years he's had tons of indoor/outdoor cats (house is next to a park) and on many occasions the less intelligent cats would get lost in the park or the woods or something and even hide when we'd look for them. But if we sent out the awesome smart cat everyone liked (there were a couple of them, very superior cats) they'd very often come home with the other cat in tow. My folks were a bit cavalier about all of it for my taste and I think putting her on a harness and slowly cruising around the surrounding blocks is a great idea.

I know what you mean about the difference between cats, though. I totally trust *Jackie* to go outside and always return home or come when called, or in extreme situations at the very least she would never run away from me. I've known Jackie for 10 years since she was a kitten and I've been her human for 6 years, so we have very good trust and even communication.

On the other hand, I also have Sardine whom I only met and adopted 7 months ago, and while she can be VERY friendly and adorable, she is also extremely skittish. She will not let me pick her up without great difficulty; but she *never* bites and only scratched me once by accident - and I've even had to clip her claws! That said, while she shows no interest in going outside, I am always careful about it. I have no trust in Sardine to find her way home and I'm not sure she's even been outside since she was a NYC dweller before I adopted her.

But she totally *adores* Jackie, and I think if she went out then Jackie would be my best tool to get her back in, since she'd likely run away if I approached her outside,

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Just moved my kitty from our old to our new house. I feel like poo poo :( She figured it out early so I had to pry her off the carpeted stairs, put her into the carrier and drive her, only for about half an hour at least. You know that audio trick where it constantly sounds like it's getting higher but it isn't in reality? She felt like that. She hates moving, and I hate moving her, but at least it's over.

I put her in the spare room with a nice choice of a cupboard, a hidey hole bed she usually sleeps in, and a big stack of soft furnishings. Also feliway and some food she hasn't touched. Being who she is, of course she picked the cutest option.

And finally she plots her revenge for my trespasses.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Moving cats is always traumatic. Time before last that I moved, once everything was finally loaded into the house we brought the cats down and let them out of their carriers. They slinked around unhappily for a bit, then I turned my back for a sec and they completely disappeared. After spending twenty panicky minutes turning the entire house upside down, we found them crammed down the side of the sofa between the arm and the wall: four shiny little eyes glaring reproachfully at us from the smallest possible hidey-hole they could find.

They forgave us within a day or two. We then betrayed them by moving house again three months later and they cried, loudly, for a solid hour in the car.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

My cats pretty much immediately loved the move. More windows for them to hunt from, carpeted floor instead of polished concrete so they could really build up speed (and stop themselves before sliding into walls/furniture!) I do miss the Scooby Doo routine of them trying to run full out and going absolutely nowhere, though

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I've noticed that one of my cats (male, 3-ish years old) will on occasion let out some fairly loud, deep and long groans when he's lying down. It's usually accompanied by a bit of lethargy and less eating. A sort of "rrrrrOOOooooo", which sounds pretty disquieting.

I'm taking him to the vet again tomorrow, but last time they did some tests and found nothing. Does that ring any bells for a specific problem? Searching online doesn't return much.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

Did you find her yet? :(

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Did you find her yet? :(

Nope, I'll be sure to tell the thread if I do get her back. I put flyers in the letterboxes of the surrounding houses and a nice lady phoned me to say her son saw a cat in the window last night but she didn't think it was mine, and that hers had run away and been gone for a week before she came back and was also totally scared of everything. It also turns out that the back neighbour owns a cat trap which I've asked her to put out, which I think is probably my best bet tbh.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
(For the doubters, we supported 3 cats before on my part-time minimum-wage job...I'm full-time making 50% more now, so we're fine financially, especially after the lessons learned with Quiggs.)

This is Perdy.

Perdy is just shy of 2 and had a litter about 6 weeks ago. The Humane Society took the kittens away and she's been depressed since. At least until now.

While little Miss Mini-Princess (a.k.a Min Prin or Mini Prinny) is still hiding under the couch and in our closet during the day, she's coming out at night when the kids are in bed. Her tail was up while exploring for the first time last night and she loves scratching the pack-and-play in our living room and hopping into the rabbit cage. She doesn't come when beckoned yet, but she will :)

I don't know. I think she looks more like a Pierogi than a Perdy, to the point where I've accidentally called her Pierogi. My wife thinks if we're renaming her after any stuffed pasta, it should be Gnocchi.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Does TNR work? I'm not sure where else to ask and I keep finding conflicting information when I try looking it up online.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

FirstAidKite posted:

Does TNR work? I'm not sure where else to ask and I keep finding conflicting information when I try looking it up online.

Define... 'work'? To the best of my knowledge it's very effective at what it sets out to do, which is keep feral and semi-feral kitty populations under control in a humane manner.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I have a slightly odd question... I find that my cat Jackie (who is extremely fastidious in her grooming) very often smells *really* nice, even though I can't quite describe the scent. I'm... pretty sure I'm not alone in this. I mean, obviously there are rare times when she doesn't smell good, but that's not really what I'm talking. It does feel vaguely weird/embarrassing though.

FirstAidKite posted:

Uhm, this is not really apropos to TNR and I'm also embarrassed to ask... but where is your avatar from? :stare: PM me the response if you'd like in the interests of on-topic-ness

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

Define... 'work'? To the best of my knowledge it's very effective at what it sets out to do, which is keep feral and semi-feral kitty populations under control in a humane manner.

I've seen people claiming that it doesn't have much of an effect because the statistics showing it has an effect leave out number of adoptions and stuff like that, while I've also seen people claim it is good at helping control rat populations and cat populations and I'm not really privy on what kind of news sources to believe in regards to animal-related things.

kaworu posted:

Uhm, this is not really apropos to TNR and I'm also embarrassed to ask... but where is your avatar from? :stare: PM me the response if you'd like in the interests of on-topic-ness

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Why would you feel embarrassed? It's okay :)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How can you tell if something's actually wrong with a really vocal cat, or if they're just that way?

I've had my cat, Jasmine, for about two and a half years now. She's a black short-haired cat. My girlfriend and I adopted her when she was two years old and she was super shy at the shelter, but once she got used to our home, she became really affectionate and loves being around people. Awesome! But she's also always been very vocal. I have never encountered a cat who meows as often as she does. Usually what triggers it is whenever my girlfriend or I get up and walk around, and especially if I walk into the kitchen, then she's underfoot as much as possible and meowing at the top of her tiny little kitty lungs almost constantly. Sometimes she'll also wake up from a nap and start meowing loudly almost non-stop and knocking things off of tables.

Thing is, as far as we can tell, there's nothing physically wrong with her. She's peeing in her litter box regularly, always eats all her food, drinks her water, likes to play with fake mice on cords, etc. Is there something else I should be keeping an eye out for that might be causing her to be extra vocal, or are some cats just like that?

(As a side note, she's also never thrown up that we can tell, not a single hairball or anything. If she ever has in the whole time that we've had her, she's hidden it so well that even when we moved we didn't find any. Not sure if that's normal or not or maybe just down to breed--my parents' short-haired cats when I was growing up had hairballs fairly regularly and sometimes threw up gloppy food that I'd have to clean up, but Jasmine never has.)

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Some cats are just chatty. My own cat Naynay may look like a fluffy tuxedo cat ( think Sylvester from the Tweety cartoons ), but her mother was a Siamese cat, and those are known for being noisy. So I just learned to deal with having a cat that felt she should announce most anything that was important. *Hey, you're partially awake, I'd like to get under the covers right now.* *If you're going to get up, get those window blinds open, I want to see what is going on* *WHY IS NOTHING GOING ON* *oh right plz fill my food bowl* *meh kibble* *OMG SOMETHING IS OUTSIDE* *aw it left* *0k bored now gonna bother you* *now time for a nap* *STOP WAKING ME UP* *is it time for food yet well I think it is so* *CONTINUE FOR ETERNITY*

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
*Are you going to give me food yet? * *Hey get off the computer* *We need to go on patrol* *open the window I need to sniff the air* *Where's the food? Have you given me food yet?* *Okay proceeding to checkpoint 2* *Checkpoint 2 clear, there are no dogs in the backyard* *Checkpoint 3 is...what were we doing again?* *Don't leave the bathroom, we haven't figured out what we need to do at checkpoint 3* *Oh there's the food*

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

*Pet me* *You are not petting me* *There's a cat outside 3 blocks away* *There's a bird I want to kill it* *I've killed a toy I am a good hunter* *I just killed every toy in the house now pet me* *Do something with this screen so I can sit in your lap* *Brush me* *Why have you woken me* *I pooped*

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

One of mine will go into an empty bathroom when the house is quiet and meow at the top of his lungs because he likes how it echoes. Cats, man.

Some people are chatty, some cats are chatty. It's just her personality. And yes, some cats are also quiet around strangers or in new situations, but when they settle in they get noisy as hell around their family. Again like people. :3:

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I'm on a break from my TNR volunteering, but we work with the city and rescues so we have internal numbers on the cats taken in by the various groups either as strays or surrenders as well as our own numbers on how many cats we take in a year for surgery. In the last 3-4 years, the number of strays and ferals taken to the city for adoption or euth has decreased so dramatically that often we give particularly tame cats and kittens directly to the city to be adopted out instead of strictly to private rescues. The city simply has that much more room for animals now. And as a whole, we're taking in fewer animals than in previous years which is direct proof that the colonies we're aware of can no longer reproduce at their former rates. There will always be new colonies to find and treat, new hoarders to try and work with, and new cats abandoned, but I believe firmly that any problems of TNR are vastly outweighed by the measurable benefits to a city. I know that Hawaii in particular has a huge battle on this issue because cats are invasive and terrible to the wildlife, but euthing strays and ferals still isn't the answer to me. Slow and steady wins out in this case.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Can someone recommend a hepa filter for my very allergic girlfriend? Does that even help?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Deviant posted:

Can someone recommend a hepa filter for my very allergic girlfriend? Does that even help?

It does, assuming the allergies aren't life threatening. A hepa filter combined with frequent vacuuming (this one is arguably the most important) and OTC allergy meds. Pretty much anything by honeywell is pretty quality and not excessively expensive.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Cat Piss Mystery Theater

Source of cat-piss found. It wasn't the litter, it was the litterbox. They were peeing and pooping on the inner sides of the box and it was permeating the entire living room. Do I go through the trouble of scrubbing down a litterbox or just buy a new litterbox?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Do you own some pine-sol and a brush? Doesn't hurt to let it soak.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

MrSlam posted:

Cat Piss Mystery Theater

Source of cat-piss found. It wasn't the litter, it was the litterbox. They were peeing and pooping on the inner sides of the box and it was permeating the entire living room. Do I go through the trouble of scrubbing down a litterbox or just buy a new litterbox?

I guess it depends on if your time is worth more or less than the couple of bucks for a new box. Keep in mind they'll probably keep peeing like they are now, so it's going to be a lot of cash or time either way. I wonder if a litter box liner would work?

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
One cat is now very good at the cat door, the other has not figured it out at all. Weird thing is it's the one who loves laying in the sun that hasn't figured it out. She's been grumpily staying inside.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It is 3 am and I am across town in a big town awaiting blood work on my cat, who is currently in a heat cage.

When I left this morning, I wanted to get her into the vet Monday morning, but this turn was rather sudden.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Propaganda Machine posted:

It is 3 am and I am across town in a big town awaiting blood work on my cat, who is currently in a heat cage.

When I left this morning, I wanted to get her into the vet Monday morning, but this turn was rather sudden.

:ohdear: I hope catte turns out to be okay.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

I think this might have been answered before ITT but not sure: my hellcat loves to chew. His all time favourite toy is a cardboard stick and his favourite game is being poked with it so he can grab it and bite the poo poo out of it. Anyone got any recommendations for cat safe chew toys/objects/whatever?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I went to get a third cat because one cat wants to play and the other one has bad hips and doesn't want to. So hey, kitten for the first cat!

I ended up seeing two 3 month old tuxedo littermates that I couldn't say no to. I now have four cats.

Help!

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I have 4 cats too and life is mostly good cat-wise. Getting 2 young cats at the same time saved my sanity!

Lately our only problem has been Buffy the 14 year old chronic pisser. I think we've narrowed it down to a pain issue and will be trying Gabapentin. Anyone have any experience with using that for their cat?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Morbid question, but when your cat eventually passes, do you prefer cremation or burial?

I prefer the cremation because I want to still be able to have a little area dedicated to the cat but I've heard pet cremation services aren't always good, for one reason or another. Then on top of that are the cremation jewels but I don't know anything about them other than them existing.

For me, it was just that I couldn't stand the idea of my cat becoming a feast for bugs so I felt like the only way was to get him cremated so that my fiancee and I could still feel like he was in "one piece" so to speak.

Sorry if this upsets anybody, I'm just genuinely curious what others' opinions are is all.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Mister Adequate posted:

:ohdear: I hope catte turns out to be okay.

She didn't make the night/morning :(

I had to cart her BACK across town because the overnight clinic I found closed at 7:30 am. We may as well not have noved.

Her bloodwork was peculiar and the ultimate diagnosis is at this point irrelevant, but the tech and doc seemed to think that all signs pointed to secret cancer (she was getting an ultrasound in the morning had she seen it through).

It was just all very incredibly sudden. Sunday morning, I was concerned about her appetite and activity level and set to take Monday morning off to get her in. When I got back that night, she was essentially gone. When we got to the second emergency vet it was immediate CPR, then I was called back in 10 minutes later to new that when revived she vomited blood, at which point you kind of have to call it.

Haven't slept in 48 hours. She was young-ish (9?) and I'm full of regret and heartsick. not even a fortnight ago, I fell asleep on my couch and woke up to her purring and curled up in my lap.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

FirstAidKite posted:

Morbid question, but when your cat eventually passes, do you prefer cremation or burial?

I prefer the cremation because I want to still be able to have a little area dedicated to the cat but I've heard pet cremation services aren't always good, for one reason or another. Then on top of that are the cremation jewels but I don't know anything about them other than them existing.

For me, it was just that I couldn't stand the idea of my cat becoming a feast for bugs so I felt like the only way was to get him cremated so that my fiancee and I could still feel like he was in "one piece" so to speak.

Sorry if this upsets anybody, I'm just genuinely curious what others' opinions are is all.

Sorry for doublepost. Meant to be neater. Failed.

This is my second loss. My first, I still lived very very rural, so I got to bury her at the base of a tree. The conservation of energy is the only religion I have, and to think my cat feeds this tree, that is an okay thought for me.

This time, in a huge city, cremation is kind of the only option. Apparently, fortunately, cremains are very nitrogen-rich, and soil loves that. The slight silver lining is that her previous owner has moved back, so we're going on a hike to a lovely spot to spread her ashes. Not sure if it'll resonate as much, but it will be nice to share an afternoon with another human who loved her enough to also embarrass themselves in public with tears today.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm really sorry about your cat. :(

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sorry for doublepost. Meant to be neater. Failed.

This is my second loss. My first, I still lived very very rural, so I got to bury her at the base of a tree. The conservation of energy is the only religion I have, and to think my cat feeds this tree, that is an okay thought for me.

This time, in a huge city, cremation is kind of the only option. Apparently, fortunately, cremains are very nitrogen-rich, and soil loves that. The slight silver lining is that her previous owner has moved back, so we're going on a hike to a lovely spot to spread her ashes. Not sure if it'll resonate as much, but it will be nice to share an afternoon with another human who loved her enough to also embarrass themselves in public with tears today.

I'm glad that you at least have things planned out. When my cat Glam Rinwood went back in 2013, I really had no idea what to do. I sat there just not really sure how to deal with it, he was only a little over a year old, we weren't expecting him to go when he did, and we lived in a crappy suburban area without a yard and no place to potentially bury him and we didn't want to let him go. For us, we both understand the idea of letting a cat go back to the earth to nourish plant growth, but at the same time, we couldn't stand the thought of letting him be left like that in a place where we couldn't still see him. For now we have his favorite blanket set aside and his urn on top of it. That may seem a bit extreme to some people, but for my fiancee and I it is very comforting knowing that he is still with us in some sense, physically and spiritually, and more importantly that he is safe and that we can easily visit him at any time.

I'm sorry about your loss :(

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

FirstAidKite posted:

When our first cat died, my wife and I went with cremation. We were at that time living in Scotland, and knew that we were going to move back to Denmark so to be able to take the cat with us, we got him cremated.

We simply couldn't stand the idea of him laying in a backgarden with strangers moving in, and perhaps digging him up when renovating the garden.

So now he's resting in an urn on the shelve in our livingroom.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

When the cat I grew up with died I didn't really care what happened to her body because her body wasn't my cat anymore :( if I'd still been living in the house we both grew up in I would have buried her in the garden but I wasn't so I didn't.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

She didn't make the night/morning :(

I had to cart her BACK across town because the overnight clinic I found closed at 7:30 am. We may as well not have noved.

Her bloodwork was peculiar and the ultimate diagnosis is at this point irrelevant, but the tech and doc seemed to think that all signs pointed to secret cancer (she was getting an ultrasound in the morning had she seen it through).

It was just all very incredibly sudden. Sunday morning, I was concerned about her appetite and activity level and set to take Monday morning off to get her in. When I got back that night, she was essentially gone. When we got to the second emergency vet it was immediate CPR, then I was called back in 10 minutes later to new that when revived she vomited blood, at which point you kind of have to call it.

Haven't slept in 48 hours. She was young-ish (9?) and I'm full of regret and heartsick. not even a fortnight ago, I fell asleep on my couch and woke up to her purring and curled up in my lap.

I'm so sorry :( Cats are dummies who refuse to let anyone see them in discomfort or pain, so by the time they let us know it's sometimes too late. Sounds like you did everything possible for her, please don't feel like you let her down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Kerfuffle posted:

It does, assuming the allergies aren't life threatening. A hepa filter combined with frequent vacuuming (this one is arguably the most important) and OTC allergy meds. Pretty much anything by honeywell is pretty quality and not excessively expensive.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VGIGVY

This is not by Honeywell but it looks fine at a glance? Anyone have a thought?