Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I dunno, chalk me up with the ones who see victim blaming.

No guns = Jews. Jews = Holocaust. IF Jews = guns THEN Jews =/= Holocaust.

In the very least, it's saying IF You(*) take are gun THEN You = Hitler(**).

(*)or Government
(**)or Nazi Germany

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I honest to god do not see that. You obviously can and have drawn that subtext from the photo, but that is not the intent, clearly.

If you have to use mathematical equations to prove someone is being offensive, you're probably just reading too much into it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Radical Griff posted:

The Warsaw uprising is a terrific example of what happens when average citizens band together to fight off foreign occupation.

They all. loving. Died.

EDIT: Come to think of it, they all died in Red Dawn too, which carries a lot of weight in my academic studies.

Yea but it took them a while to do it. Also the fact that they didn't lose in open combat but by being burned out. So really the guns worked :smuggo:

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

SaltLick posted:

Yea but it took them a while to do it. Also the fact that they didn't lose in open combat but by being burned out. So really the guns worked :smuggo:

I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did. It's a brave feat for a Jew, they're usually pretty docile.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Radical Griff posted:

I honest to god do not see that. You obviously can and have drawn that subtext from the photo, but that is not the intent, clearly.

If you have to use mathematical equations to prove someone is being offensive, you're probably just reading too much into it.

I can understand that interpretation pretty well, especially if you turn the Jews into women, and the Nazis into rapists.

Granted, at a glance that is definitely not the kneejerk interpretation.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Trivia posted:

I can understand that interpretation pretty well, especially if you turn the Jews into women, and the Nazis into rapists.

My friend plugged his computer charger into the wall, and if you replace "electrical outlet" with "women", the "computer" with "patriarchy", and "cord' with "penis", I could definitely see where the victim blaming is coming from.

I'm an ardent feminist, but come on, dude.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Coelacanthian posted:

Holy crap crazy! This lady really, really hates that gays are a thing. Am I wrong, or is there just no good way to engage people like this?

I love that train of thought.

"If you're really so tolerant, why won't you tolerate me saying that a certain group shouldn't have rights or the right to exist? Checkmate hypocrites :smug:"

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I get to say whatever I want, but you have to be silent about what I say!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It fits perfectly with their attitude of "stop infringing on my religious rights to prohibit you from doing things I don't like" or "if you boycott a company that does something I personally like you are committing thought crime on them." Everything is about them being the victim while victimizing others.

Coelacanthian
Dec 23, 2008
I also love how she makes the argument that it's not an issue of civil right, while probably throwing shitfits about teaching the controversy of evolution in schools. And not one person (this thread continues, by the way) will engage and question I pose to them outside of "Liberal Gay Agenda MAKING me accept this" and "I'll pray for you!<3"

King Dopplepopolos
Aug 3, 2007

Give us a raise, loser!
I haven't seen much anti-gay nonsense on my FB feed. The most prolific nonsense, however, has been of this variety.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

King Dopplepopolos posted:

I haven't seen much anti-gay nonsense on my FB feed. The most prolific nonsense, however, has been of this variety.

This is one of those things that at first glance seems really harmless and mundane. Most people would agree with it; outside the first sentence being unsubstantiated bullshit, the rest is pretty obvious. In the context of gay marriage though, "lifestyle" is the most obvious problem because it's implying that homosexuality is a lifestyle and not just a part of who you are intrinsically.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Parachute posted:

Ah yes, Nazi Germany.

Edit: Weird rear end jpeg artifact action or something in the corner.

I saw a movie once where a bunch of conservative civilians who were super serious about preserving the heritage of their country refused to give up their guns because they were worried their government would bring down the hammer on them.

It was called Hitler: The Rise of Evil.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
I just noticed this, but I like how it's phrased as "I saw a movie once" rather than "I recall there being...", as if people wouldn't understand if they couldn't link it to a blockbuster. :words:

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Coelacanthian posted:

Holy crap crazy! This lady really, really hates that gays are a thing. Am I wrong, or is there just no good way to engage people like this?

Fun Fact: Not all Christians are anti-gay. Granted a lot of the really loud ones are, but the "traditional marriage" crowd needs to figure out that they don't in fact own or define Christianity. Also if they want to keep calling it traditional marriage they need identify which tradition they're talking about, and probably start campaigning against divorce, romantic marriage, and the woeful lack of livestock payments for marriages.

King Dopplepopolos posted:

1. You don't have to fear or hate someone in order to do stuff that harms them and results in them being treated as less than human.

2. Of course loving someone doesn't mean you have to agree with everything they do, but when you're talking about them doing something that is empirically, demonstrably harmless you're on shaky ground.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

Guilty Spork posted:

1. You don't have to fear or hate someone in order to do stuff that harms them and results in them being treated as less than human.

2. Of course loving someone doesn't mean you have to agree with everything they do, but when you're talking about them doing something that is empirically, demonstrably harmless you're on shaky ground.

Indeed. The best counter-argument I've heard on that end is that slave owners probably didn't hate or fear their slaves.

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

MisterBadIdea posted:

Indeed. The best counter-argument I've heard on that end is that slave owners probably didn't hate or fear their slaves.

White people were loving terrified of slave revolts, and for good reason.

You go get em', Nat.

EDIT: I just realized you possibly are being facetious but I haven't slept in 36 hours so I'll apologize in advance.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
For a break from gaychat, I've engaged someone on corporate taxes:

Here are the links used thus far:
http://www.businessinsider.com/us-corporate-statutory-and-effective-tax-2013-2
http://www.politifact.com/texas/statements/2012/nov/01/michael-mccaul/michael-mccaul-says-us-corporate-tax-rate-worlds-h/

Thoughts?

EDIT: Thanks for the quick responses, you guys are great!

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 27, 2013

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Since markets aren't perfect (mundane stuff like information asymmetries and cognitive biases get in the way of supply/demand curves), shareholders (via profit) eat half of any tax increases, customers (via prices) and employees (via wages) eat the other half, so if the majority of taxes are then spent on services that mostly customers and employees (ie the vast majority of the population) use, it's a gain for them.

http://www.nber.org/papers/w11686.pdf
http://www.urban.org/UploadedPDF/1001349_corporate_tax_incidence.pdf
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1938156

As we all know, inequality harms economic growth, so taxing the rich is better for everyone in the long term.

http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/fandd/2011/09/berg.htm

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Corporation contributions to federal revenue have been declining since the mid 50s. From a high of about 30% to the current <10%. Nominal tax rates are irrelevant.

Edit: Source: http://washingtonpolicywatch.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/exhibits-9-20-12-profit-shifting-hrg5.pdf

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
Lots of good information above.

Anyway, normally I don't get much, even after 9 years in Catholic schools, but the other day this showed up. I just, ugh.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I vote Republican, because I'm pro-freedom...

...except for schools, union membership, homosexuality, abortion, religious ideology, political ideology...

Call me crazy, but forcing a choice of lightbulb on someone is a bit less extreme than disenfranchising large swaths of society.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

That source also seems quite doubtful.
i.e. they have this article: http://www.politifact.com/new-jersey/statements/2013/mar/24/liberals-are-cool/liberal-group-claims-mitt-romney-dick-cheney-donal/
that claims that Romney and Cheney totally didn't draft dodge because they you cannot disprove that they got their girlfriends pregnant or moved to France at just the right time for reasons totally unrelated to the draft.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

SpecialK2 posted:

Anyway, normally I don't get much, even after 9 years in Catholic schools, but the other day this showed up. I just, ugh.

Look at that straw man :allears:

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
"B-B-But you said you're Pro-Choice! That means you should let people CHOOSE anything they I want! :qq:"

Someone needs to make like a dancing straw man emoticon.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

SpecialK2 posted:

ahah, my shithead uncle just posted that on facebook (along with 3 other horrible images)

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Bush signed the lightbulb thing.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

Bush signed the lightbulb thing.

Because he is a category red RINO.

Ever wonder the real reason it's classified as uncool to associate with him.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Conversely Republicans are pro-life, so they should be against the death penalty and all wars.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That's only while the baby is still in the woman's body. Immediately after it's born what happens to it is its own personal responsibility!

CHECKMATE.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Radical Griff posted:

My friend plugged his computer charger into the wall, and if you replace "electrical outlet" with "women", the "computer" with "patriarchy", and "cord' with "penis", I could definitely see where the victim blaming is coming from.

I'm an ardent feminist, but come on, dude.

You shouldn't blame a woman for failing to defend herself from an attacker; just as you shouldn't blame the Jews for failing to defend themselves from the Nazis. It was an analogy, not some grasping metaphor.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Guilty Spork posted:

ianity. Also if they want to keep calling it traditional marriage they need identify which tradition they're talking about, and probably start campaigning against divorce, romantic marriage, and the woeful lack of livestock payments for marriages.

Daniel Webster (also, kudos to his parents for the name) may be my favorite oddball Republican congressman, because he's made it his personal crusade to abolish no-fault divorce. And on occasion has made remarks to the effect of "the gays are right that they're actually NOT much of a threat to traditional marriage compared to legal divorce. [So you whiny babies need to sit down and shut up about the homosexuals unless you're willing to join my righteous endeavor.]"

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I know someone posted a link back to a website showcasing and listing all the weird things the bible allows. Could someone repost that? I searched google but could only find one that gave a random quote without categories.

Urban Space Cowboy
Feb 15, 2009

All these Coyote avatars...they make me nervous...like somebody's pulling a prank on the entire forum! :tinfoil:

ThirdPartyView posted:

Isn't there a Peanuts cartoon where Schultz explains why he abhors political cartoons? From what I remember, it was pretty dead-on with its criticism.
First: "Schulz" :eng101:
Second: is this the one you were thinking of?

"Here's a figure I call 'the grim reaper'..." :allears:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I don't have bona-fide anti-gay people on my wall. Instead, I have someone who's against the promotion of same-sex marriage because you can't patch a broken system and the state should be kicked out of all marriage. Said a married heterosexual, obviously.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Ask him how he feels about his tax deduction for his marriage. (Presumed reply would be a textbook libertarian response on taxes).

Dr. Killjoy fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 28, 2013

modernwinglish
Dec 28, 2012

I'll squawk the world and molt with you

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Ask him how he feels about his tax deduction for his marriage. (Presumed some reply would be textbook libertarian response on taxes).
I don't care to get petty with him. He's a friend and past/future host, and makes some mean food, then insists I eat it. It's just that he lives in the South, and some libertarian trends have rubbed off on him.

What he actually does politically is usually good, he just likes to say outrageous things on Facebook, to get a rise out of people. I doubt he'd actively go to an equal marriage protest and disrupt it.

ETA:
Yes, I think same-sex couples should have equal access to prenatal care and abortion, too. A good image.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.
So I kind of got dragged into this facebook argument with a guy that's an utter gun freak. He plays the victim all the time, and sticks gun related images into whatever he can. I'm sure you've all seen the equality profile picture going around? Well, he has one with two guns.

Anyway, the following album on imgur is from the argument we've had. I'm FB user #6

http://imgur.com/a/WwvXX

I'm not sure how to link the actual images here from Imgur. If anyone can give me pointers for the last reply, it'd be useful. I'm TRYING to stay respectful as he's a good friend of my brothers, but I'm about to say gently caress it and block him, again,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Radical Griff posted:

I'm not getting that at all. Remember, the American right is the biggest supporter of Israel in US politics.

Yeah but they don't do it because they actually LIKE Israel or Jews, they do it because their version of evangelical Christianity says that Jews have to be in Israel for Jesus to come back. That and they hate Muslims.