Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Because animation is expensive and historically even the cheapest animation has incredibly low profit margins which makes it an easy target for executives focused on profit above all else

TwoPair posted:

Also because, while I don't have numbers in front of me (and haven't been in a toy store in a while), I'm willing to bet that streaming services' lack of commercials make any cartoon, hell any kids show period, more of a money sink nowadays since they can't be getting ad money from toy companies to compensate for the fact that kids' shows (no matter how well written) inherently get less views than other stuff

The 7th Guest posted:

they are retreating to what is 'safe' basically. status quo/episodic cartoons can be aired out of order on TV, do not require viewer commitment, and kids will rewatch repeatedly

there are probably other reasons at play as well but those are the sort of occams razor to me. more out there speculation would be something like, maybe networks got tired of having to deal with 'fandoms' and their toxicity, and just want shows that appeal purely to kids. and 'kids' as a nebulous demographic don't need story arcs to tune in.

but the reality is that any time there's a merger, or a yearly review, (often new) executives always want to make changes, pursue new demographics that they think are 'trending', etc. as Dana Terrace mentioned, the Owl House was basically cancelled because some new executive came in that was basically "Why are we making this?" All of the weird things that happened at Cartoon Network in the early 2000s (CN Fridays, live-action series) is because AOL Time Warner brought in new people that didn't understand what Cartoon Network was about and why they were doing things the way they were doing them.

this is why I'm concerned about the WBD situation, because the new CEO saying "Why are we funding kids shows for HBO Max?" seems REALLY loving OMINOUS for Cartoon Network, a network that programs its linear TV lineup like it's Youtube for Kids because cable TV and particularly kids cable TV is dying... I had thought HBO Max was meant to be the safety net for them, an additional source of viewership and revenue that would allow them to maintain their creative freedom in storytelling. If the New Guy suddenly doesn't think CN should be a part of HBO Max, I'm worried there could be significant layoffs incoming, and I'd hate for there to be senseless creative layoffs for the dumbest reasons.

e: I also have concerns that the next step will be Netflix thinking "wait, why are we even funding ADULT animation when we can just license more anime, which is cheaper?" this poo poo can domino so fast :|

honestly makes me surprised that anyone does high-ish budget animation nowadays at all

drrockso20 posted:

*I suspect it's only after they got the extension and shuffled things around that they added the whole Stone Hand thing with Owen, since not only is it tacked on right at the very end of the episode but only two episodes later in Double Jeopardy we see Owen back to having two hands again(notably Owen doesn't appear again until a good bit into the Avalon World Tour where he's back to having a stone hand), on another note it seems they had always planned from the very beginning for Owen to have some sort of secret but didn't settle on what that was until they were working on The Mirror and several people on the staff all independently arrived to the conclusion that it had to be Owen and Puck being the same being, and them sneaking in a couple hints about it in both CoS and The Price

owen getting the stone hand always bugged me. i know he's supposed to be a loyal servant to xanatos and all but he seemed a little too eager to test out that magic potion on himself. like, you couldn't test it on like a fly or rat or something first? granted, we know who owen really is, so this happening to him isn't such a big deal, really and maybe he might have thought the same, which is why he had no problem doing it. but even if it was no issue for him, xanatos' reaction was rather strange too. the guy was the main antagonist for the first half of the series, but he wasn't particularly cold-hearted or malevolent, necessarily. or at the very least, he didn't act that way to those who were close to him. yet he doesn't seem at all concerned, or hell, even curious why his servant just completely pointlessly crippled himself for life.

the whole scene seemed dumb and pointless and there was no payoff whatsoever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Xanatos knew Owen's secret too.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Owen being Puck also neatly explains why Owen doesn't just get the stone hand chopped off for a cybernetic one(when cyborgs like Coldstone, Hyena, and Jackal show that the technology is quite mature), his true nature as one of Oberon's Children would probably make using cybernetics a risky venture what with the whole "weak to iron" thing

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gargoyles plot synopses always sound cool, is the show worth watching as an adult with no particular nostalgia for it?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

Gargoyles plot synopses always sound cool, is the show worth watching as an adult with no particular nostalgia for it?

I’d recommend stopping after the second season but yes (I watched it for the first time as an adult as well and really enjoyed it)

Speaking of, is there a legal place to watch the series like Disney+ or the like?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm actually confused on why there aren't any tighter integrations between toy companies and cartoons these days to be able to have the toys coming out at the same time that the show is running. Like I know that the old 80s model of cartoons that are just toy commercials got defeated by cartoons that could be higher-quality by focusing on the cartoon itself rather than product integration, but surely there's gotta be a way to make things work. Is it just that the logistics of TV and toy companies can never meet up at the same time?

The later 90s also had a lot of anime being imported over that were actually orphaned toy commercials, because TV channels wanted to get the viewership numbers that Pokemon was getting, but didn't want to figure out things like translating videogames or figuring out weird Japanese products. Or at least that took a lot longer.

I think there's probably still more money adjusting for inflation in cartoons now than there was in the 70s, by whatever metrics Netflix uses to calculate value, but I can believe the lack of advertising making budgets dip.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Do a lot of modern kids cartoons even still have attached toylines anymore (I don’t remember there being a whole lot of merch for Owl House or Amphibia that I’ve seen for example)?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I don't know why TV animation has moved away from being heavily merchandise-driven, but I do know that the toy industry is absolutely obsessed with market segmentation and actively seeks to avoid producing toys that appeal to both boys and girls, and a lot of the most popular cartoons in recent years do try to appeal to both boys and girls.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Larryb posted:

Do a lot of modern kids cartoons even still have attached toylines anymore (I don’t remember there being a whole lot of merch for Owl House or Amphibia that I’ve seen for example)?

I know that back when Gravity Falls was ongoing, Alex Hirch complained about how difficult it was to get any merchandise made for the show. IIRC, the core issue was that Disney is such an a large company that it competes against itself, and the toy division would rather focus on the core moneymakers (Princesses, Marvel, and Star Wars) rather than give up shelf space in Disney Stores and toy aisles for mere TV shows.

in short, :capitalism:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm actually confused on why there aren't any tighter integrations between toy companies and cartoons these days to be able to have the toys coming out at the same time that the show is running.
This is why Hasbro started their own cable network just as network tv for their coveted toy demographic was shattering and dying.

Their effort at putting out shows to coincide with toys yielded Transformers Prime, GI Joe Renegades, and My Little Pony Friendship is Magic. You have probably heard of one of these.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, a lot of it seems to come down to "the toy industry is literally insane."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I don't buy merch mostly because it's too expensive. I did look into Steve Universe shirts back when they were available but they were £50 on average for a long sleeved hoodie which is a lot. I'd LIKE to be able to buy merch to support youtubers like Twoset violin and things that I like but it's all down to the price and me just not having that kind of money spare right now.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

ninjewtsu posted:

i've been rewatching it again recently after a fairly long time and yes, it absolutely holds up. definitely worth watching imo. As Larryb says, the second season isn't great, but i did like the idea of going in an x-men like direction. shame it wasn't executed particularly well. that being said, i did think the finale was pretty good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

i've been rewatching it again recently after a fairly long time and yes, it absolutely holds up. definitely worth watching imo. As Larryb says, the second season isn't great, but i did like the idea of going in an x-men like direction. shame it wasn't executed particularly well. that being said, i did think the finale was pretty good.

I actually liked the second season for the most part though the Avalon arc went on a bit too long, it’s the final season after they fired the original creator/writer where things kind of go off the rails (hence why I recommended stopping AFTER the second season)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

I'd say yes as long as you keep in mind the context of when it came out, makes the more adult/intelligent moments more impressive and makes the occasional dated or corny bit more forgivable, also yeah stop after the first episode of the third season

Larryb posted:

I’d recommend stopping after the second season but yes (I watched it for the first time as an adult as well and really enjoyed it)

Speaking of, is there a legal place to watch the series like Disney+ or the like?

Yeah it's fully on Disney+

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Been watching Naruto on Crunchyroll, got to Shippuden. Just wanted to say that Tobi owns.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

It’s a rough equivalent to Batman the Animated Series in terms of sophistication and ideas, maybe more heavily serialized. It’s a smart kids’ show. If that’s what you’re looking for, go for it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

BioEnchanted posted:

Been watching Naruto on Crunchyroll, got to Shippuden. Just wanted to say that Tobi owns.

Tobi is one of the few bright spots in what is otherwise the absolute misery of post-timeskip Naruto.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Tobi is one of the few bright spots in what is otherwise the absolute misery of post-timeskip Naruto.

Eh, I'm enjoying Shippuden so far. I like the Crystal user's arc of her starting off as the usual psycho villain, but catching feelings for the kid she's been put in charge with, and now whenever Naruto accuses her of treating him like a tool she's getting increasingly pissed off because that's no longer true and she's taking it personally. Like "You're an rear end in a top hat!" "I KNOW BUT IT'S NEVER BOTHERED ME BEFORE! WHAT DID YOU DO!?"

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

random question but what's the verdict on themsysteriousmrenter? i saw a video of his where he dissected legend of korra and i thought he did a pretty solid job and i don't...THINK i saw anything in there that was eyebrow raising worthy. i was never a fan of him per se, and really the korra video was the only real content of his i watched all the way through, but i saw a more recent vid and he seems to be more sympathetic to the gamergate/reactionary side of media critique?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

random question but what's the verdict on themsysteriousmrenter? i saw a video of his where he dissected legend of korra and i thought he did a pretty solid job and i don't...THINK i saw anything in there that was eyebrow raising worthy. i was never a fan of him per se, and really the korra video was the only real content of his i watched all the way through, but i saw a more recent vid and he seems to be more sympathetic to the gamergate/reactionary side of media critique?

I used to watch him a lot but fell off, and recently he did a really weird video that everyone dunked on where he claimed that Turning Red was unrealistic because they weren't talking about 9/11.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Mr Interweb posted:

I just googled him and this wiki page seems to sum up all of his controversies: https://youtube.fandom.com/wiki/TheMysteriousMrEnter

I had only heard about him from the Turning Red take, cuz that led to some hilarious meme responses.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yeah mr enter is generally dunked on and dumb

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Mr Interweb posted:

He was recently in Forbes and trended on twitter, because of his hot take that Pixar's Turning Red didn't reference 9/11 enough.

He's also kind of a chud, was against masking, and other stuff.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Never trust anyone wearing a fedora in their profile picture

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rand Brittain posted:

Yeah, a lot of it seems to come down to "the toy industry is literally insane."

Oh yes. Even My Little Pony had trouble getting merch on shelves literally because the centrepiece pony wasn't pink. (hence why they had to invent a new centrepiece pink winged unicorn to get a show-accurate Celestia toy) They can and have died on the hill on pink aisle and blue aisle.

Steven Universe wasn't the first, they apparently wanted to make My Life As A Teenage Robot toys but were told the only place they could be stocked was the shelf between the pink and blue aisles, because on one hand robot superhero but on the other hand GIRL. And Young Justice apparently originally got cancelled because too many girls were watching it and they didn't know what merchandise to sell to them. (of course, said merchandise was impossible to find even when it was on air)

Lego seems to be one of the few companies that's slightly better about this (the second Lego Movie even kinda being about market segmentation, and gender stereotypes, though the message is a bit confused at best) and Japanese companies at least don't want to leave money on the table, even if it means uh, dubious crossover appeal for shows about preteen girls.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oh yes. Even My Little Pony had trouble getting merch on shelves literally because the centrepiece pony wasn't pink. (hence why they had to invent a new centrepiece pink winged unicorn to get a show-accurate Celestia toy) They can and have died on the hill on pink aisle and blue aisle.

Steven Universe wasn't the first, they apparently wanted to make My Life As A Teenage Robot toys but were told the only place they could be stocked was the shelf between the pink and blue aisles, because on one hand robot superhero but on the other hand GIRL. And Young Justice apparently originally got cancelled because too many girls were watching it and they didn't know what merchandise to sell to them. (of course, said merchandise was impossible to find even when it was on air)

Lego seems to be one of the few companies that's slightly better about this (the second Lego Movie even kinda being about market segmentation, and gender stereotypes, though the message is a bit confused at best) and Japanese companies at least don't want to leave money on the table, even if it means uh, dubious crossover appeal for shows about preteen girls.

Or the occasional lady robot with missile or laser boobs

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

BTW It's bugging me, I remember watching a show with a game that people were made to play and there was one character who was acting like he was really into it, and towards the end of the show he has a breakdown when all the chips are down and is like "Of COURSE I'm not having fun... where's the fun in a game that you are forced to play?!" - what show was that from, was it Netflix's The hollow, or a different one that I've forgotten as I cannot find it anywhere.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

BioEnchanted posted:

Shippuden has as much filler as OG Naruto so I'd suggest using a guide to skip filler. At least the bad filler. Some filler is apparently decent like the filler that turns the capturing of the Three Tails from a single panel to a 15 episode arc. I wouldn't know, I read the manga.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

BTW It's bugging me, I remember watching a show with a game that people were made to play and there was one character who was acting like he was really into it, and towards the end of the show he has a breakdown when all the chips are down and is like "Of COURSE I'm not having fun... where's the fun in a game that you are forced to play?!" - what show was that from, was it Netflix's The hollow, or a different one that I've forgotten as I cannot find it anywhere.

I, uh, don't think that was a show. I'm pretty sure that's Danganronpa V3 .

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Kay Kessler posted:

I, uh, don't think that was a show. I'm pretty sure that's Danganronpa V3 .

OH OF COURSE! Him, the lying kid Thanks, that was bugging me. I just couldn't place it.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

ninjewtsu posted:

If the show sounds cool to you and you have access to Disney+, absolutely watch it. I did a rewatch a while back, this was the first time I got to see the whole thing in order, and I loved it! :swoon:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

You mentioned the toyline in that thread and it's interesting how that had an effect on the show, like they had a motorcycle toy so they introduce it at the start of one episode and then unceremoniously blow it up in less than five minutes, then a couple episodes later they have them get a helicopter in a very blatant "we want kids to buy this toy" moment(even though they never actually got around to making an actual toy of it), and even though the toy line had mostly petered out by the beginning of Season 2(off the top of my head Macbeth and Coldstone are the only characters outside of the Manhattan Clan, Elisa, Xanatos, Demona, and the Steel Clan to get figures), they still maintained a design ethos for most new characters(or new looks or weapons or vehicles for existing ones) to be "Toyetic" and it's something about Gargoyles I actually really like about the show

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

I don't know the origin of this word but I thank Freakazoid for putting it in my vocabulary.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well I did it, the Gravity Falls Rewatch Thread has commenced.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
regarding gargoyles, is it cropped to all hell and back on disney+?

They also had a gun episode that aired once and then got pulled.

anyway it was a nice show and for its time in the mid 90's had a nice dark edge to it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Ups_rail posted:

regarding gargoyles, is it cropped to all hell and back on disney+?

They also had a gun episode that aired once and then got pulled.

anyway it was a nice show and for its time in the mid 90's had a nice dark edge to it.

As far as I can tell the image quality is fine on Disney+, they do have the gun episode and while they did censor it compared to the original broadcast or the DVD release, it's a very subtle alteration that you would likely not notice if you weren't aware of it already

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Did they just remove the small amount of blood or something?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
that seems super weird in the age (particularly with D+) where you can just slap a content warning before an episode and show it with no censorship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, here's Disney's latest offering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSyxZkHtkj0

Disney's been on hot streak lately, I guess we were due for a dud.