Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

The Eyes Have It posted:

Yeah, the real power is being able to make stuff just as you need it to be, instead of making do with what you can get off-the-shelf.

Reproducing the off-the-shelf is a pretty useful place to start, though.

Piece in my dishwasher broke. Printed a little temp part in PLA just to keep the thing from falling apart while the service guy got here. A year later, it hasn't melted or dissolved, so :iiam: as far as PLA in a dishwasher goes. Also, the service guy didn't have the part and can't order me one; when this PLA part fails, I'm gonna safety wire it.

Same deal with the fridge: broke a stupid little pin bracket thing holding the shelf in. Got the measurements off the old one, printed six new ones with barely differing measurements just to make sure one fit. They all ended up fitting, so now I've got five spares when this $.003 piece of plastic breaks. I didn't even bother trying to look up the OEM part, nor did I try to duplicate the part; I just duplicated the function and sent it.

food court bailiff posted:

Yeah, the advantage of an eyedropper (at least in my mind, here) would be how easy they are to clean, and how little extra resin they would suck up that needed to be strained out.

10ml syringe. Disposable. You can even get luer lock "industrial" (no sharp bit) needles in various lengths from "long" to "comically long". If you got a comically long needle, you wouldn't even necessarily get resin into the syringe body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Anyone pickup that monoprice delta pro for $450? Curious to see more, current reviews on it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Piece in my dishwasher broke. Printed a little temp part in PLA just to keep the thing from falling apart while the service guy got here. A year later, it hasn't melted or dissolved, so :iiam: as far as PLA in a dishwasher goes. Also, the service guy didn't have the part and can't order me one; when this PLA part fails, I'm gonna safety wire it.

Same deal with the fridge: broke a stupid little pin bracket thing holding the shelf in. Got the measurements off the old one, printed six new ones with barely differing measurements just to make sure one fit. They all ended up fitting, so now I've got five spares when this $.003 piece of plastic breaks. I didn't even bother trying to look up the OEM part, nor did I try to duplicate the part; I just duplicated the function and sent it.

I'm currently printing a replacement hinge for my shed door out of ASA - the manufacturer hinges, which seem to be made of polypropylene, have failed multiple times in the exact same place because if has a stupid design that puts the entire weight of the door on a single, unreinforced, strip of 2mm thick plastic, while the door itself carries not only its own weight but the weight of the roof if the door isn't perfectly closed (and the bendy plastic material of the door makes this nigh impossible)

A couple of hours in Autodesk Fusion has given me a design that even in PLA with 20% infill is easily twice as strong (tested destructively as I channeled my inner David Kirkaldy with a rig made from a vice, a bent coat hanger, and a bag that i filled up with tins) as the original. The spool of ASA cost me £25 compared to £10 for a replacement hinge, but I reckon it'll easily outlast me when done, and certainly pay for itself given I've had to order three replacement hinges over the last 6 years.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I suspect you didn't use the full kilogram of plastic on your hinge either

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
You can also print the part in PLA, mould it in silicone and cast it in a higher temp material.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Practical things we've made?
Insulation clips, made exactly as many as I needed, no waiting for delivery.
Replacement curtain end clips, quarantined and mail order was £4 each for a 2g print.
Rack for tablets and phones to charge in, sized for exactly what we had.
Accessories for my wife's spinning machine.
Replacement parts for toys.
Bulletproof scoops.
Clips and brackets galore.

I need to start modelling more moving parts.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Anyone pickup that monoprice delta pro for $450? Curious to see more, current reviews on it.

I did, but can't play with it right now because COVID (tested positive the other day after some symptoms started).

I'll let the thread know what I think of it when I get to play with it, though.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I did, but can't play with it right now because COVID (tested positive the other day after some symptoms started).

Oh no, get well soon!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:ohdear:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Well that blows. Rest up, and hopefully you don't have the 'Vid too badly.

I got tested on Monday after a loving woman took off her mask and sneezed a dozen times while 5' in front of me in a line. Test came back negative.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I suspect you didn't use the full kilogram of plastic on your hinge either

Bastard thing's gone sproing on me twice so far so I wouldn't be so sure - it's odd because it seems to adhere fine until it's passed halfway then just lets go - might try the glue stick trick a few people have mentioned and see how that goes before I start really tearing into things.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

sharkytm posted:

I got tested on Monday after a loving woman took off her mask and sneezed a dozen times while 5' in front of me in a line. Test came back negative.

:wtc:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Yeah, basically.
This was in a line for a ferry, and you could see the wave of realization spread with each successive sneeze. Unfortunately, I was behind her and her partner in line... Neither of them looked exactly healthy. I told her off once she was done, saying "Taking your mask off to sneeze is the same as wearing a condom but taking it off when you have intercourse." She was apologetic and said that it was "gross to sneeze with a mask on"... Yes, We're all aware, but that's the loving point. :sigh: People suck.

Whatever, I was planning on quarantining for the weekend regardless, and the test took 20 minutes to perform including waiting, and results in under 48 hours. Now I'm free to be an anti-social misanthrope, just like normal.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

do resin prints not pick up the layer lines that you sometimes see on even high quality FDM pieces? i have a perfect use case and need a recommendation for a resin printer, if so

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Deviant posted:

do resin prints not pick up the layer lines that you sometimes see on even high quality FDM pieces? i have a perfect use case and need a recommendation for a resin printer, if so

This dino skull

Is printing on my Epax X1 resin printer. Generally no they will not show layer lines. Also, my Epax X1 has sat unused for months now :(

Want to buy a slightly used X1?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Deviant posted:

That's one of their strengths :yayclod:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

mattfl posted:

This dino skull

Is printing on my Epax X1 resin printer. Generally no they will not show layer lines. Also, my Epax X1 has sat unused for months now :(

Want to buy a slightly used X1?

um, maybe? I was looking at Prusa again, because I have Learned The Way of Josef, but i'm open to other options. I just dont know the first thing about them.

Can clear resin be dyed while printing? I want to do a color gradient thing to create Lio's flame from Promare

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Deviant posted:

um, maybe? I was looking at Prusa again, because I have Learned The Way of Josef, but i'm open to other options. I just dont know the first thing about them.

Can clear resin be dyed while printing? I want to do a color gradient thing to create Lio's flame from Promare

It can!

https://www.3dprintedminiature.com/how-do-i-dye-resin-3d-prints/

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Oh, if i buy it from you, you don't have to ship it!

:think: I'll get back to you.

Edit: I can't pm you. email me at legitimateemail AT gmail dot COM and we can talk printers.

Edit Edit: Resin build areas seem fairly small and oddly shaped? 115mm x 68mm x 115mm?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 28, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
The consumer SLA printers use an LCD screen as a mask, and all of the high-res LCD screens are designed for cell phones, so you get a build plate that's the same size and shape as a cell phone screen. The height of the volume tends to be about the same as the width because that's a reasonable compromise between useful volume and not having to go overboard with precision linear guides.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

if you die can i have your stuff

dont die

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Deviant posted:

Oh, if i buy it from you, you don't have to ship it!

:think: I'll get back to you.

Edit: I can't pm you. email me at legitimateemail AT gmail dot COM and we can talk printers.

Edit Edit: Resin build areas seem fairly small and oddly shaped? 115mm x 68mm x 115mm?

Email sent!

And ya, at this price point the build size is small, mainly made for miniatures or multi part prints. To get bigger build plates the price jumps pretty quickly.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Deviant posted:

Depending on the layer height you do actually get very fine layer lines. You need a magnifying glass to see them though and if you print at .01 mm layer height you’d probably need a microscope. Angling the prints helps hide them.

E: oh you asked for a recommendation. I love my Anycubic Photon mono, but honestly any of the new gen printers with a 2k or 4K screen are probably equal.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 28, 2020

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
They don't show up evenly, either. They will be at their most visible on flat planes (like sides of a box) but they blend right in with textured or curved or otherwise irregular surfaces.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
What's the name of the larger volume printer that Prusa is allegedly producing? I want to find the thread where they talk about it but can't remember what it was called to do a proper search.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I still want to fix one of my FDM printers to make use of the larger build volume and try PLA lost wax casting and stuff, but it's going to be so hard after using SLA.

I'm currently printing a bunch of RPG furniture and dungeon walls and stuff. I'm planning on running a game via webcam (yes, I know Roll20 exists, I also know that I hate wrestling with it as a DM) and I really want it to look great on the table to keep players engaged, rather than just talking endlessly at a few figures on a battlemat with some walls drawn in. It's amazing that I can just load the build plate up with walls and since they're all the same height, it takes exactly as long as a single wall would take.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh man, get better soon.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Listerine posted:

What's the name of the larger volume printer that Prusa is allegedly producing? I want to find the thread where they talk about it but can't remember what it was called to do a proper search.

Prusa XL maybe? I don't know if they've officially named it yet, but I recall that name getting used during the announcement

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

Prusa XL maybe? I don't know if they've officially named it yet, but I recall that name getting used during the announcement

That's what I was thinking of, thank you!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Well, I feel like a moron - I’ve realized that like 99% of what I thought were hardened resin bits in the vat after a print have been stubborn air bubbles. Not 100%, because I definitely dented my FEV film with one that one time, but the vast majority. It’s so hard to tell the difference with clear resin....

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1322041563237748737

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
They recently did a Voyager that was half that size.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

They recently did a Voyager that was half that size.

It was the choice of model that I thought made it thread-appropriate.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

I clicked through to twitter and read some of the replies because I hate myself

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I thought it was just badass. Hell, it's 3d printed. That means it's already is thread appropriate. Think the voyager is actually self propelled (via chemical reaction, not wee lil impulse engines)...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I bought a roll of creality's white PLA and just couldn't get it to stick, did my first temp tower and got best results down at 190°, several bed adhesion tests that again said go cold but actually printing anything that wasn't a test just made a mess. In desperation I cranked the temp up to 220/70 and it's perfect? Eh what a pain in the arse.

I'm going to get myself the silent motherboard for the 3pro but got confused:
https://www.creality3dshop.eu says it's v1.1.5
https://www.creality3dofficial.com says it's v4.2.7

Where the hell should I be buying this from?

E: I get it, ones 32bit

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Oct 30, 2020

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

cakesmith handyman posted:

I bought a roll of creality's white PLA and just couldn't get it to stick, did my first temp tower and got best results down at 190°, several bed adhesion tests that again said go cold but actually printing anything that wasn't a test just made a mess. In desperation I cranked the temp up to 220/70 and it's perfect? Eh what a pain in the arse.

I'm going to get myself the silent motherboard for the 3pro but got confused:
https://www.creality3dshop.eu says it's v1.1.5
https://www.creality3dofficial.com says it's v4.2.7

Where the hell should I be buying this from?

E: I get it, ones 32bit

White filament is always tough. It's got a ton of colorant which messes with the properties. I always start at +10° from usual with white and go up from there.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I own 1/6th of a 3d printer now, we haven't ordered resin for it yet because one guy is still pushing to order the slightly cheaper non-water soluble resin. He's standing by 70% isopropyl alcohol works fine and is infinitely reusable because you just put it out in the sun and scoop out the now cured resin. Is there any truth to that at all?

Also how does the sun work for curing? The video he demanded we all watch says it works but can gently caress your models but he seemed to miss that and is instead in the camp of "but why would we get a light when we have the sun?"

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Your 6th guy is the kind who buys 60 cans of soup because they're "on sale" isn't he?

Buy your own bulb, cure your own models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Len posted:

I own 1/6th of a 3d printer now, we haven't ordered resin for it yet because one guy is still pushing to order the slightly cheaper non-water soluble resin. He's standing by 70% isopropyl alcohol works fine and is infinitely reusable because you just put it out in the sun and scoop out the now cured resin. Is there any truth to that at all?

Also how does the sun work for curing? The video he demanded we all watch says it works but can gently caress your models but he seemed to miss that and is instead in the camp of "but why would we get a light when we have the sun?"

Here in the upper midwest we only get about 2 months worth of good sun every year, so lol.