Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Anyone else have a slow volume button response? I mash the volume button and it takes a second or two for anything to happen (if it even changes). It should just work. I've also occasionally had a problem with a laggy delete button in editing text forms occasionally.

Early 2015 MBP 13", Yosemite 10.10.3 migrated from a Mavericks install on a Macbook Air.

I'd rather not re-install everything because I have a bunch of specialized command-line stuff set up that would be a monster pain to re-do, but I'm really tempted to do that because my experience with this migrated yosemite hasn't been very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
"Put hard disk to sleep when possible."

What's everyones consensus on this? Googled a bit and most people are saying it should be unchecked..

For mechanical drives, I'm a bit weary.. my current setup anyways is 1 SSD and 1 mechanical drive.

I started looking into this because when my computer comes out of the screensaver, i've noticed a couple times where the screen is completely black and has a mouse cursor. It's like this for 5 mins before it responds to the login page.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
It should only take a few seconds at most to spin up a hard drive again.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Bit of a trip report from installing 10.11 to a second partition on my 15" rMBP, and then as an upgrade on the primary partition of my riMac. (Disk Utility refused to allow resizing of the root partition for some reason, possibly due to there being a Boot Camp partition?)

Mostly stable. Lately I've been noticing things like some complex web pages frequently crashing Safari tabs, but other than that, nothing major.

Oh, right, and Photos.app doesn't accept images dragged onto its dock icon any more. I have to save images to my Downloads folder and import them manually when working with my secondary .photoslibrary. Add Image to Photos in Safari is still locked to the system default library, as it was when Photos launched with the earliest 10.10.3 beta. I'd rather not switch default libraries, as that will probably also switch which library is synchronized with iCloud.

Side story, I cancelled my account with SpiderOak, because it choked on some minor problems I had. Basically, when I set up the laptop to sync again from the new 10.11 partition, with the Photos libraries symlinked in, I accidentally picked the iMac's profile from machines to restore from. So I quickly cancelled that and wiped the L/AS/SpiderOak directory, but the damage was done. Starting syndication again with the correct profile did nothing proper, and just sat there gathering info on what to sync.

Meanwhile, that also broke syncing for the iMac, which had to be reset as well. All that so I could sync one non-iCloud photos library. And because I failed to properly guard the system default library from syncing, it synced that as well, and Photos on the receiving machine was none too pleased with the results, mixing up shitloads of photos and thumbnails completely at random. Better still, then Photos wanted to re-upload my entire broken library to iCloud.

So I killed SpiderOak, nuked the local copy of the photos library, and redownloaded the whole lot. Forgetting somehow that I have the whole system backed up using Time Machine. I may still roll back, since I think the whole experience bodged my old iPhotos albums arrangement, and inserted duplicate photos in random places.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

lol internet. posted:

What's everyones consensus on this? Googled a bit and most people are saying it should be unchecked..

For mechanical drives, I'm a bit weary.. my current setup anyways is 1 SSD and 1 mechanical drive.

I started looking into this because when my computer comes out of the screensaver, i've noticed a couple times where the screen is completely black and has a mouse cursor. It's like this for 5 mins before it responds to the login page.

I have this problem as well. Some people say it's related to the SMC. But resetting it doesn't really help a lot. It's an extremely annoying bug, and there does not appear to be a solution.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Eeyo posted:

Anyone else have a slow volume button response? I mash the volume button and it takes a second or two for anything to happen (if it even changes). It should just work. I've also occasionally had a problem with a laggy delete button in editing text forms occasionally.

Early 2015 MBP 13", Yosemite 10.10.3 migrated from a Mavericks install on a Macbook Air.

I'd rather not re-install everything because I have a bunch of specialized command-line stuff set up that would be a monster pain to re-do, but I'm really tempted to do that because my experience with this migrated yosemite hasn't been very good.
Came to ask about a sound related thing...but 99% sure mine is different :shobon:

I have sound go out through a USB DAC, and every once in a while (57 days uptime this last time) something goes wrong with OS X and sound gets choppy/laggy or just dies. Like when hitting the volume buttons I'll only get a few pops (or parts of them) and they'll lag a bit, and anything trying to play audio just doesn't work. Like I tried a YouTube video and it wouldn't start, iTunes wouldn't play, etc. Switching to the analog output works, so it's something specific to the USB audio output. I've seen this issue intermittently for years and it's hard to track down cause it seems to only happen after being up for a long time, and console logs ain't helping cause I can't tell when it started this time. I've had the same issue with a different USB DAC before too, on a different Mac even iirc.

lol internet. posted:

I leave it unchecked mostly cause OS X can be annoying about spinning up drives, particularly when a drive doesn't actually seem necessary, and it locks up stuff for a sec until it can do whatever it's deciding to do on the spinny drive. That said I don't think it's related to that screensaver lock issue. I've had it before but I forget what the culprit was, might've been the security agent popup (the password prompt) showing up behind the screensaver layer or something? I haven't had it in a while and I thought some update was supposed to fix that, but that's just a vague guess.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

robodex posted:

If I just do an Internet recovery and update back to 10.10 can I just restore my current time machine backup, or am I screwed since the backup is technically now on 10.11? I know with iOS you can't restore iCloud backups from newer versions to older ones but I don't know how Mac OS works for that.

Time Machine should work fine. Apple doesn't generally mess with it much between versions. You'll likely want to pick a backup made prior to installing El Cap, though, as bunches of the app databases are not compatible once updated.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Molten Llama posted:

Time Machine should work fine. Apple doesn't generally mess with it much between versions. You'll likely want to pick a backup made prior to installing El Cap, though, as bunches of the app databases are not compatible once updated.

Thanks, will do. I haven't really installed anything but my work stuff since then anyway, so I should be OK. I'll likely try tonight and hope it goes OK.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Molten Llama posted:

Yeah, the El Cap time machine will probably be fine to restore, but you'll want a backup pre-El Capitan installation to go back to, unless you want to install fresh and use Migration Assistant to pull everything over (or do it manually.)

I have to say I'm really impressed with how modular Time Machine is, I've restored a Yosemite image using the Snow Leopard disc before and it worked flawlessly.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What are some good adware/malware removal tools for Mac? I bought Craigslist MacBook...

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Uhh if you're really concerned then just fresh install from the App Store or get install media for your desired version from a generous AASP. You don't normally need to gently caress with malware removers on OS X.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Monstrous Dooklord posted:

What are some good adware/malware removal tools for Mac? I bought Craigslist MacBook...

I use AdwareMedic.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Monstrous Dooklord posted:

Format and a fresh install.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
If you buy a used PC from some rando on Craigslist, a wipe and reinstall is always a good idea in case they left any personal data or nudes of their wife or something on there.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Bootcamp question: When Windows 10 hits (July, right?) if I want to use it on Bootcamp, will I have to wait a bit for Apple/AMD/Whomever to get their poo poo together with regards to proper drivers? Or can I just install it upon release and be on my merry way?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Feenix posted:

Bootcamp question: When Windows 10 hits (July, right?) if I want to use it on Bootcamp, will I have to wait a bit for Apple/AMD/Whomever to get their poo poo together with regards to proper drivers? Or can I just install it upon release and be on my merry way?

Since it has the same system requirements and will be primarily distributed as an upgrade from 7 or 8, I would assume that everything will work the same way as it does currently.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Feenix posted:

I'm using the preview now — the only issue I've had with the bootcamp drivers is that each time the preview updates to a new build, I have to re-install the keyboard drivers to get the f-keys working. Everything else works as expected. Presumably upon the full release windows update won't throw a shitfit if you refuse to let it install drivers (right now, it's very insistent on updating everything it can find a driver for). Assuming the AMD/NVidia drivers are sorted out upon release (they've been variously broken in the past month or so), you should be just fineas fine as you would be under windows 8.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

The rear end Stooge posted:

If you buy a used PC from some rando on Craigslist, a wipe and reinstall is always a good idea in case they left any personal data or nudes of their wife or something on there.
Or nudes of the illegal persuasion, for that matter.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Zenostein posted:

I'm using the preview now — the only issue I've had with the bootcamp drivers is that each time the preview updates to a new build, I have to re-install the keyboard drivers to get the f-keys working. Everything else works as expected. Presumably upon the full release windows update won't throw a shitfit if you refuse to let it install drivers (right now, it's very insistent on updating everything it can find a driver for). Assuming the AMD/NVidia drivers are sorted out upon release (they've been variously broken in the past month or so), you should be just fineas fine as you would be under windows 8.

Oh, that's why the F-keys won't work anymore. Good to know.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
The OP of this thread really badly needs to be updated.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Edit: sorry, wrong thread

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jun 20, 2015

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Anybody else on 10.11 have problems with quitting Safari? Here, it doesn't respond to Cmd+Q or quit from any menus. Menu action appears to go through, but has no effect. I always have to force quit it if it starts leaking textures, say, if I happen to have that Steam browser game running in the foreground for long enough.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Job Truniht posted:

The OP of this thread really badly needs to be updated.
So post a new one.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Apple will now pay artists for media streamed during the free period of Apple Music.

https://twitter.com/cue/status/612824775220555776

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

Apple will now pay artists for media streamed during the free period of Apple Music.

GJ taytay.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

It's cool that a nobody else made that complaint in the two weeks after the announcement .

Thanks Taylor.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

T Swizzle is my homegirl

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
How do I force my MBA to connect to a wireless AP by BSSID instead of SSID?

Comcast has a good 5+ "xfinitywifi" APs surrounding me but the one with the strongest signal is nearly unusable due to dropped packets and maxing out at 5mbps. If I randomly connect to a slightly weaker AP I get a solid 25mpbs and no connectivity issues. But the instant OSX sees the stronger AP it connects me to it and drops out my internet.

Google is seriously failing me on this question - the only relevant result I can find is a Stack Overflow thread that basically says it's not possible on Mavericks or higher which is kinda unbelievable.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
You can select your AP by channel. APs in close proximity should be using different channels. Do a network scan to figure out the channel you want, then do:

pre:
sudo /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Resources/airport --channel=whatever
That should prioritize any connections on that channel.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

computer parts posted:

I notice Taylor isn't advocating for Apple to pay the industry standard 70% after the free period instead of the higher 71.5-73 percent they agreed to with the labels in exchange for those free 3 months. Have your cake and eat it too - the power of Swift!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Oh don't be lame. You know she had a point. Or her publicists had a point.

If they negotiated a slightly higher rate, good for them. But having your content used to advertise a new service for 3 months completely unpaid - that sucks, even for multi-millionaires. Apple's rich, they should play by the rules. Pay people for their poo poo.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

It was a voluntary and not wholly unreasonable deal - we get 3 months free at the start, but we pay you more than usual after that.

Now, if you're a label and you don't like the terms of that deal because you think the long-term payoff won't balance out or whatever, that's not unreasonable either. Don't sign on. Negotiate yourself a different deal.

But "negotiating" through a disingenuous PR campaign that makes it look like Apple is forcefully ripping you off is, to use your word, lame.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Choadmaster posted:

It was a voluntary and not wholly unreasonable deal - we get 3 months free at the start, but we pay you more than usual after that.

Now, if you're a label and you don't like the terms of that deal because you think the long-term payoff won't balance out or whatever, that's not unreasonable either. Don't sign on. Negotiate yourself a different deal.

But "negotiating" through a disingenuous PR campaign that makes it look like Apple is forcefully ripping you off is, to use your word, lame.
What was disingenuous about her statement?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Whirlwind Jones posted:

What was disingenuous about her statement?

It makes no mention of the higher rate paid by Apple after those 3 months - you know, the other half of the contract that makes it a two-way deal rather than a ripoff.

If, instead of

quote:

I’m sure you are aware that Apple Music will be offering a free 3 month trial to anyone who signs up for the service. I’m not sure you know that Apple Music will not be paying writers, producers, or artists for those three months. ... Three months is a long time to go unpaid, and it is unfair to ask anyone to work for nothing.
she'd said

quote:

I’m sure you are aware that Apple Music will be offering a free 3 month trial to anyone who signs up for the service. I’m not sure you know that Apple Music instead of paying writers, producers, or artists for those three months is offering them a higher cut AFTER that period... It may be possible for larger artists and labels to make it through that period to the point where the payoff is even, but three months is a long time to go unpaid if you're a small label or indie artist. Apple has set up their terms to work for the corporate giants like BMG and EMI and they're refusing to give the little guys a deal that works for them.
I'd have no complaints.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

I can see both sides, though, because while the higher rate is great it also doesn't really take into account the fact that a huge number of people are just going to use the sub for the 3 months then cancel.

Personally I'll be trying it out but if the selection isn't as good as Spotify (which it sounds like it's not going to be) I'll be one of those people.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Apple is the most profitable company in history. Even if they do Spotify numbers right out of the gate, royalties on three months of free streaming will amount to less than a tenth of a percent of their total worth. It won't kill them to pay royalties for the trial period. And she's not speaking on behalf of the labels, she's speaking on behalf of the artists. The labels are fine either way; they wouldn't have negotiated the deals that they did if it didn't make business sense. The artists are the ones who would get screwed over the most if they didn't get paid for the trial period.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

robodex posted:

Personally I'll be trying it out but if the selection isn't as good as Spotify (which it sounds like it's not going to be) I'll be one of those people.

Any reason for thinking this, exactly?

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

Athletic Footjob posted:

Any reason for thinking this, exactly?

The dozens of news stories saying labels are opting out because of the free trial? I mean, it could change now that they're paying for the 3 months, but it feels like the writing was on the wall that there would be enormous gaps at launch.

Then again, I'm in Canada, where the only really good streaming service is Spotify (Rdio is OK but missing a lot of big stuff Spotify has.) I remember back in my Android days I tried Google Play Music and half of my Spotify stuff wasn't on the service.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Everyone even talking about this is a sucker because this is a manufactured kerfuffle designed as PR for both sides. Everyone finds out that Taylor Swift is a champion for indie artists. Everyone finds out that Apple is offering 90 days free on the service that they didn't even know existed until this made-up controversy started trending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Having all this Taylor Swift and Apple talk is making an already difficult to google programming language even less googleable.