Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
Yeah All-Might did his whole apology tour and everything. Told Deku's mom it'd be safer to live at UA. Turns out any loving goofy tea-sipping goon can slip onto the premises*.

*if his plan succeeds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
Gentle became a rubber man & gains power when his Nameka support him.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

This should end with Deku getting them jobs at UA. La Brava could be in charge of cyber security and Gentle could start a drama club or something.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Rhonne posted:

This should end with Deku getting them jobs at UA. La Brava could be in charge of cyber security and Gentle could start a drama club or something.

Yes. There are threads that bind them already. If Deku does somehow manage to explain himself and his zeal in a more robust way, it would help accomplish this outcome.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

bacon flaps posted:

She was first year junior high which is definitely not 14, but still perhaps not as young as Eri. Either way we're both splitting hairs.

edit: also I am speaking from a US perspective where I personally never called anything junior high. I considered my education to proceed from elementary, to middle school, to high-school, to college. If she was a first year middle school student, by my reference, she'd be a preteen. Doesn't matter I guess, at the end of the day she's a girl that got bullied for a good number of years.

"Junior High" is grades 7-9 in countries that have it, generally speaking (though some are shifting to 6-9, as of late, I hear). They're kind of like scaled down high schools, generally (in terms of having things like drama rooms, home economics/metalworking/etc rooms/labs, more sports fields, bigger computer labs, science labs, etc, than you have in elementary schools, but not generally quite as big as the versions you find in high schools).

So if this happened at the start of junior high, La Brava was, like, 12 at the time (maybe 13 if it was more toward the end of her first year). Of course, how long she spent in the darkness afterward is completely up in the air, so she could've spent five or six years in isolation, that's not unusual for hikkis in Japan (sometimes way longer, of course).

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Shinjobi posted:

Gentle is like an older Lupin III who's just in it for mischief and fun.

This is why I like Gentle. Deku should still punch his stomach really hard. Not super hard. Just really hard.

He is, but he's also actively trying to improve society by exposing corruption that's being ignored by the authorities or hidden by corporations. He's working outside the law to do so, so he's classified as a villain, but he's totally working toward heroic ends.

I disagree on the stomach punching, but Midoriya really is showing that his non-violent conflict resolution skills need a lot of work. Maybe he spent so much time, while quirkless, obsessing over the quirks and big action displays of other heroes (and by extension his own lack of capability thereof) that he didn't pay much attention to how to defuse a situation without quirks or violence (is this largely something the police do in this setting?).

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

EimiYoshikawa posted:

"Junior High" is grades 7-9 in countries that have it, generally speaking (though some are shifting to 6-9, as of late, I hear). They're kind of like scaled down high schools, generally (in terms of having things like drama rooms, home economics/metalworking/etc rooms/labs, more sports fields, bigger computer labs, science labs, etc, than you have in elementary schools, but not generally quite as big as the versions you find in high schools).

So if this happened at the start of junior high, La Brava was, like, 12 at the time (maybe 13 if it was more toward the end of her first year). Of course, how long she spent in the darkness afterward is completely up in the air, so she could've spent five or six years in isolation, that's not unusual for hikkis in Japan (sometimes way longer, of course).

Yeah, I was thinking 10-13 personally given a variance of ages but it effectively illustrates that she was a victim that now has something she looks to for strength, similar to Eri/Deku/Mirio.

Wish it was a bit more empowering than that but that's just how it's playing out so far. Gentle does accept her for who she is, which is great.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Also Gentle is an actual Gentleman not some bullshit fedora beard so he appreciates LoveLover as a person and would have her as a partner even if she were quirkless or actively detrimental because he is a hero on the level of All Might.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Andrast posted:

I doubt this ends with them going to jail since that would be kind of a weird story resolution for such a goofy pair of villains

I could see it happening as a means towards character growth for Deku. People have been talking about how he needs to learn conflict resolution besides violence, and this would be a good introduction for that. Also since a prison break arc is inevitable, they would still manage a happy ending down the road.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Apr 7, 2018

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fabricated posted:

As someone mentioned if Midoriya had a few minutes to explain the situation to Gentle and La Brava I bet money they'd probably back off.

"Uh yeah, there's a little girl I rescued from a horrible abuser who literally spent the last few years dissecting her to death only to bring her back to life to make bullets out of her blood. I kinda wanted to bring her to the festival to cheer her up because she literally doesn't know how to smile. Also if you crash the festival they'll probably fire all the faculty and staff."

they know the non eri consequences of breaking into ua, that's the point. gentle is trying to point out how ua shouldn't be holding festivals if it cares about student safety.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
let the terrorists win, what an intriguing concept

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elfgames posted:

they know the non eri consequences of breaking into ua, that's the point. gentle is trying to point out how ua shouldn't be holding festivals if it cares about student safety.

Not exactly, but he is trying to make a point and is at least nominally concerned about the students. [Edit: I misread something; Elfgames is right, yeah. Also, Jaimini's Box translation of that page for comparison.] (Also, to get attention, of course.) Also he apparently wagered his mustache on this mission, so he might wind up shaving soon.

Edit: He does have a good point, mind. But UA's already trying to solve the problem, albeit behind the scenes, so.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 7, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Eej posted:

let the terrorists win, what an intriguing concept

Remember 911, when the terrorists crashed a school festival and drank some tea?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

First episode was good, OP had cool visuals but the music is pretty tame/doesn't really match up to the visuals at times, ED is super cute and charming.

Buff Might and Midoriya sitting together at the bench in the OP got me all emotional.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Terper posted:

First episode was good, OP had cool visuals but the music is pretty tame/doesn't really match up to the visuals at times, ED is super cute and charming.

Buff Might and Midoriya sitting together at the bench in the OP got me all emotional.

Did it get into the actual story yet?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It is a recap, but it's done through the eyes of the characters, and it fits in neatly. The original filler content is also cute and has some good gags.

Terper fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 7, 2018

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Oh my god
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhPrp7BhYVl/

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I wonder if part of the reason Midoriya is approaching this fight as if it were life or death is that so many of the fights he's been through so far have been life or death?

Like, the tournament and his match with Bakugo aside I'm not really sure he knows much else at this point.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he's not tho? deku's always serious and this is important to him

go back to his fights in the sports festival where the only thing at stake is him losing and he's still like this

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It's not like Midoriya tried to crack open Gentle's skull like an egg or something. Gentle has been pretty capable of holding off Midoriya despite him going at it "life or death"; if he wasn't trying this hard Gentle would already be away and at UA.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

he's not tho? deku's always serious and this is important to him

go back to his fights in the sports festival where the only thing at stake is him losing and he's still like this

Yeah that’s fair, I’m hoping a lesson that comes out of this is that he needs to throttle it back sometimes

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I get the feeling Gentle could have a much friendlier chat with The Crawler than with Deku, too bad he's in the wrong manga.

That said, I can't imagine he'd like Knuckleduster's approach to vigilante justice much.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Would be funny if Gentle gets away from Deku but is caught anyway because it turns out the UA security is actually competent this time.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
Gentles plan is to break into 200 heroes and film the jackass video where party boy parties in Japan... Like... He's gonna get stopped.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
it doesn't matter if he gets stopped if he gets in. if one dumbass with a youtube can get in what's stopping the league of villains? how can the children be considered safe? UA is already in a bad place in public opinion this will shut it down.

and even if gentle gets spotted before he gets there that means UA has to go into lockdown crushing the spirits of hundreds of high school kids who cant even blow off some steam anymore as well as making a precious girl like eri upset.

also i love how people are saying deku is going to rough but he like hasn't even hurt anyone.

edit: gentle knows full well the consequences of his actions, he's just an rear end in a top hat at this point.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

why are you posting this junkrat in the mha thread :confused:

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I mean the issue I foresee is that even if Gentle tries to hop over the wall and gets slapped out of the air by Mt Lady before he so much as puts a toe over the boundary, that will still probably set off the "WOOP WOOP VILLAINS" alarm and thus get the festival cancelled.

So from that perspective, Gentle even showing up is an issue, let alone if he actually made it inside.

Also Midoriya's like, two major character traits are his diligence and giving it his all. I don't think he'd go at this at half power even if he had greater control over OFA, given his character.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Deku really needs to learn to give less of his all to be fair. And this would be a good fight for it, especially since i'm kinda expecting him to shatter some fingers again. I hope he surprises me though.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Deku really needs to learn to give less of his all to be fair. And this would be a good fight for it, especially since i'm kinda expecting him to shatter some fingers again. I hope he surprises me though.

He has been learning to avoid destroying himself since he figured out full cowl. The Overhaul fight notwithstanding (as it was a very unique case of "hey you can literally go all out with no consequences") Deku's not been blowing himself up lately since he's learned that treating every fight as a life or death situation just means you're dead and useless sooner.

That said he does still play with that line a lot still. So I wouldn't be surprised if he pushes a bit too far thinking that his new equipment can handle one more shot and being wrong.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
"MHA's been a wild ride over the past several years and it's been fun to follow the kids through all their years of school, but I miss the days when Deku still had his arms and legs."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

When Deku eventually has to pass on One For All is he going to teach his student based on learning from his own bad initial schooling by All Might who couldn't really comprehend someone not being naturally adept at using the quirk or will he just tell that poor kid "yeah you are going to need to repeatedly break all your bones to master this so lets get cracking"?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Radish posted:

"yeah you are going to need to repeatedly break all your bones to master this so lets get cracking"?

Savage pun.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
How would you even learn to use it without someone like recovery girl around?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Given that One For All gets stronger with each user, it's going to be harder on the next guy. It might be a good idea to split it between two successors, so they don't get torn to shreds. I am sure one of them won't turn out to be a supervision and dedicate his life of crime to getting the other half of their inheritance so cruelly stolen.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Deku has made some pretty important discoveries, like Full Cowl, that he could explain in detail to a theoretical successor instead of that successor having to figure it out on the fly like Deku has had to while All Might shrugs helplessly and goes "idk, lol" because it was never an issue for him.

Like seriously, before just recently All Might's explanations of how to use One For All have ranged from "clench your buttcheeks and yell SMASH" to "maybe try not to explode your entire body like an egg in a microwave". It's not surprising that the boy had no idea what the hell to do and just kind of exploded himself at the drop of a hat.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I think normally you wouldn't pick such a young and unformed successor plus you'd be able to spend time teaching the new user how to use 1% to begin with instead of activating the quirk for the first time in a possible life/death situation with only instructions to clench your teeth and scream SMASH.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

How would you even learn to use it without someone like recovery girl around?

Better hope she has some kids with similar powers.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Given that One For All gets stronger with each user, it's going to be harder on the next guy. It might be a good idea to split it between two successors, so they don't get torn to shreds. I am sure one of them won't turn out to be a supervision and dedicate his life of crime to getting the other half of their inheritance so cruelly stolen.

I could totally see this series ending with Deku being the last One For All user, either by having the quirk get erased in the end, or him just deciding to take it with him to the grave. I'm not saying he's going to die in the end, just maybe him deciding that with All For One defeated once and for all, the world doesn't need to rely on a single symbol of peace anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kanos posted:

Deku has made some pretty important discoveries, like Full Cowl, that he could explain in detail to a theoretical successor instead of that successor having to figure it out on the fly like Deku has had to while All Might shrugs helplessly and goes "idk, lol" because it was never an issue for him.

Like seriously, before just recently All Might's explanations of how to use One For All have ranged from "clench your buttcheeks and yell SMASH" to "maybe try not to explode your entire body like an egg in a microwave". It's not surprising that the boy had no idea what the hell to do and just kind of exploded himself at the drop of a hat.

he can teach the next guy but it's not like he can write down a guide book for the super secret quirk he inherited, so eventually you'll get another all might and his successor will probably explode the first time he uses one for all