Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Gort posted:

What's the draw of H3VR? It sounds like the shooting gallery tutorial section of any given FPS.

It's got several game modes but also does the shooting gallery stuff really, really well.

Wurstworld is a Westworld themed deal that takes a few hours to do everything in, has shoot outs, horseshoe challenges, some puzzles, etc.

There's a zombie horde mode, a survival horror mode with limited ammo and such, Take and Hold is pretty self explanatory and really arcadey. There's a lot of sandboxes that you can load up with bots and several other things like shooting challenges and holiday themed stuff.

I'm not a gun nut by any means but I like shooting in games and this is a pretty good simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Why does it have such a weird name?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

AgentF posted:

Why does it have such a weird name?

"Almost only counts in horseshoes [the sport where you throw horseshoes] and hand grenades" is an expression. The game involves aiming at targets (like in horseshoes) and weapons (like hand grenades). The creator of the game doesn't like the idea of shooting at human targets, so he made them all hotdogs. I assume he noticed the alliteration and put all three together.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

"Almost only counts in horseshoes [the sport where you throw horseshoes] and hand grenades" is an expression. The game involves aiming at targets (like in horseshoes) and weapons (like hand grenades). The creator of the game doesn't like the idea of shooting at human targets, so he made them all hotdogs. I assume he noticed the alliteration and put all three together.

Now that I understand why it's called that, I'm going to go get it right no--

Oh, it's Vive only apparently.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Airspace posted:

It works on rift too.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Got my 3rd sensor for the rift today. Holy poo poo is this thing finnicky of where they should be/go and my "ideal" setup of where I'd like them was just a bit too spread out so I had to make some adjustments but I got it all working and yeah it's pretty cool no longer worrying about facing forward all the time.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Got my 3rd sensor for the rift today. Holy poo poo is this thing finnicky of where they should be/go and my "ideal" setup of where I'd like them was just a bit too spread out so I had to make some adjustments but I got it all working and yeah it's pretty cool no longer worrying about facing forward all the time.

You can ignore it's complaints. Also there's a program called Desk Scene that lets you see exactly your cameras FOV.
https://www.wearvr.com/apps/desk-scene-check-your-camera-bounds

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

jubjub64 posted:

It works on rift too.

Can confirm, I've used it on the Rift personally and it worked fine.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bum the Sad posted:

You can ignore it's complaints. Also there's a program called Desk Scene that lets you see exactly your cameras FOV.
https://www.wearvr.com/apps/desk-scene-check-your-camera-bounds

Wait gently caress, really?

Oh hey so it is. I thought it was a requirement to meet optimal but yeah I just went ahead and put the sensors where I wanted them and everything tracks just fine. Thanks!

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wait gently caress, really?

Oh hey so it is. I thought it was a requirement to meet optimal but yeah I just went ahead and put the sensors where I wanted them and everything tracks just fine. Thanks!

Yeah, they try it idiot proof it by making the skip option inconspicuous. They tricked me for a whole week before I figured it out.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ignore the Oculus software's whining and just put them where you want - it'll try to get your two "front sensors" WAY TOO CLOSE to each other no matter what you do.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Oculus' website has a blog entry that talks about optimal placement, basically saying "if you don't mind dealing with wires and mounting poo poo, then ignore the software and do this instead."

https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-roomscale-tips-for-setting-up-a-killer-vr-room/

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So i'm up for killing myself with Beat Saber. What are good user made tracks?

I remember using Soundboxing and 90% of the popular tracks lists were just Anime soundtrack/k-pop/j-pop garbage and that's so absolutely not what im looking for.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Shai-Hulud posted:

I remember using Soundboxing and 90% of the popular tracks lists were just Anime soundtrack/k-pop/j-pop garbage and that's so absolutely not what im looking for.

Anything by Bennydabeast is good. Blackblazons newer maps are great. Jewelsvr has good rap/hip hop tracks. That should get you rolling!

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Sairento free weekend on Oculus Home, already started: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1271135186302289/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

El Grillo posted:

Sairento free weekend on Oculus Home, already started: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1271135186302289/

I highly recommend people try dual-wielding the Intercessor revolver (the big black one with the underslung barrel), especially with a few damage and crit-hit relics. They are wonderful one-shot head-poppers for the regular gun-toting grunts and the basic samurai, and you will feel like a complete badass with them. Especially if you can handle enabling backflipping off walls. Plus you can fire them fast enough to do some serious damage to the Big Boy enemies.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Airspace posted:

There's built in support for Rift even, the controller outlines are the Touch and such. There's a few actions that are finnicky, like using the lighter, you have to flick the thumbstick down or up then down or something. There's also some support for WMR setups. Not sure why the Steam page only shows the Vive actually.

El Grillo posted:

I highly recommend everyone checking this out if you're at all curious, it's a great game.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Sairento makes you feel like a mega badass. It's a VR projection of what your inner child would imagine after marathoning The Matrix, Ghost in the Shell, and Kill Bill.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Someone made a tiny cheap SteamVR tracker: https://www.roadtovr.com/homebrewed-mini-steamvr-tracker-cost-3-parts/

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Shine posted:

Sairento makes you feel like a mega badass. It's a VR projection of what your inner child would imagine after marathoning The Matrix, Ghost in the Shell, and Kill Bill.

A sickly, nauseous badass

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I dunno, maybe there's a nugget of gold hidden in this pile..?

https://www.indiegala.com/indiegala-virtual-reality-steam-games-bundle-xxvii

Or at least something so bad that you get amusement out of it :shrug: (looking at the videos, 'Wild Downtown' seems like it fits this bill)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I dunno, maybe there's a nugget of gold hidden in this pile..?

https://www.indiegala.com/indiegala-virtual-reality-steam-games-bundle-xxvii

Or at least something so bad that you get amusement out of it :shrug: (looking at the videos, 'Wild Downtown' seems like it fits this bill)

The Take seems like it'd be good for a party. It reminds me of the NES Spy vs. Spy game.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
Worth 4bux to try, anyway

Delpino
May 12, 2001
Forum Veteran

Shai-Hulud posted:

I shall shame myself, but the Taylor Swift - Shake it off is really well done and not just a drum simulator.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
Bought a Vive about a week ago, absolutely loving it. Superhot VR by far my favourite, but enjoying Serious Sam vr, GORN and COMPOUND also. I wouldn't mind trying Robo Recall, but can't find anywhere that mentions how it plays with the vive now in 2018. Lots of complaints about turning away from the sensors, and trouble teleporting with the pad. Has this been fixed and is it worth getting to play with RoboRevive now?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Has anyone else had a problem with Rift audio and crackling? It used to only do it sometimes and restarting the game/rift would fix it. Now it starts up after im in a few minutes every time.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Shoefish posted:

Bought a Vive about a week ago, absolutely loving it. Superhot VR by far my favourite, but enjoying Serious Sam vr, GORN and COMPOUND also. I wouldn't mind trying Robo Recall, but can't find anywhere that mentions how it plays with the vive now in 2018. Lots of complaints about turning away from the sensors, and trouble teleporting with the pad. Has this been fixed and is it worth getting to play with RoboRevive now?

I still think robo recall is the best just, straight up arcade action shooting game in VR, a universe thats swimming with arcade shooting games. I know since launch its had a roomscale/360 mode in the in game options so I don't think theres the issue on rift or i would assume vive, with needing to worry about facing one way.

As far as roborevive vs revive, i thiiiiiink roborevive is still the best performance wise, and with its own control bindings, since it runs natively. Either way, if it doesn't work you can always refund it as long as you haven't played over 2 hours.

EDIT:

UmOk posted:

Has anyone else had a problem with Rift audio and crackling? It used to only do it sometimes and restarting the game/rift would fix it. Now it starts up after im in a few minutes every time.

Is it only in one ear, or is it the audio all over thats crackling?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I loaded up Sairento, I don't think it's for me. The shooting was boring and the sword was also kind of boring. Maybe if I had more room, where I could move around and get into it I'd like it better. It just didn't grab me. I thought Robo Recall was much better. Instead I loaded up Go For Launch and did the Liberty Bell 7 mission. Can't wait to try the rest. Kind of wish the guy would get into the Gemini missions too, so I could do orbital rendezvous. Which reminds me, I still need to check out the KSP VR mod.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

UmOk posted:

That happened to me when I had an AMD graphics card and solved when I switched to NVidia. Also, go into power settings and set to Max Performance in Windows so the frequency doesn't clock down. Are you using USB or HDMI extension cables?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cojawfee posted:

I loaded up Sairento, I don't think it's for me. The shooting was boring and the sword was also kind of boring. Maybe if I had more room, where I could move around and get into it I'd like it better. It just didn't grab me. I thought Robo Recall was much better. Instead I loaded up Go For Launch and did the Liberty Bell 7 mission. Can't wait to try the rest. Kind of wish the guy would get into the Gemini missions too, so I could do orbital rendezvous. Which reminds me, I still need to check out the KSP VR mod.

I do not like the swords or the throwing weapons.

Turn on full locomotion, enable backflips, Setup a Neo loadout with lots of guns and play "matrix". Thats my fav way to play.

Shoefish posted:

Friend of mine with it, likes it a lot on the vive since hes used to the vive wands and grip buttons.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I agree on Sairento. My buddy loves it, I've never gotten into it, the gunplay feels so anemic somehow.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, I tried out sariento and it didn't really hook me. After robo recall, the gunplay is just boring, the levels are overly basic and the melee isn't great either. It feels very first-gen VR and has been surpassed by pretty much everything.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

I still think robo recall is the best just, straight up arcade action shooting game in VR, a universe thats swimming with arcade shooting games. I know since launch its had a roomscale/360 mode in the in game options so I don't think theres the issue on rift or i would assume vive, with needing to worry about facing one way.

As far as roborevive vs revive, i thiiiiiink roborevive is still the best performance wise, and with its own control bindings, since it runs natively. Either way, if it doesn't work you can always refund it as long as you haven't played over 2 hours.

EDIT:

Is it only in one ear, or is it the audio all over thats crackling?

I think its in both ears. I will test it next time I have them on. I don't know if crackling is the right description. Maybe popping?

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

UmOk posted:

I think its in both ears. I will test it next time I have them on. I don't know if crackling is the right description. Maybe popping?

I had some crackling/popping in one ear on my Rift- taking both sides of the headphones off the headset with the weird little screwdriver thing they give you and cleaning the contacts with rubbing alcohol worked great, no problems since then.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

It's hosed up but honestly Compound makes me feel more nauseous than any other game I've played with locomotion. Like it's light and manageable but the last times I've played it I definitely felt a little twinge of motion sickness.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bhodi posted:

Yeah, I tried out sariento and it didn't really hook me. After robo recall, the gunplay is just boring, the levels are overly basic and the melee isn't great either. It feels very first-gen VR and has been surpassed by pretty much everything.

Just out of curiosity, what does Robo Recall do better in comparison? (I haven't played it)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just out of curiosity, what does Robo Recall do better in comparison? (I haven't played it)

If you're looking to just shoot things, the robots in robo recall don't just leap directly to where you are standing. They walk towards you and shoot you. There's a bunch of different guns that you can modify. Also, you can grab a robot and use them as a shield, or throw them at other robots.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cojawfee posted:

If you're looking to just shoot things, the robots in robo recall don't just leap directly to where you are standing. They walk towards you and shoot you. There's a bunch of different guns that you can modify. Also, you can grab a robot and use them as a shield, or throw them at other robots.

Or throw you gun at one, bounce it off and grab it back out of the air reloaded and start blasting again.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Or use the spider bots as grenades, the drones as laser cannons. Juggle them in the air for points, throw their bullets back at them, rip their arm off and beat them to death with it. Use one as a human shield, rip its head off and throw the head at another one to knock it out. Turning one of the pistols into a fully auto smg, and a shotgun into a rocket launcher. Grabing the laser whip off the speedy bots body and throwing around other bots with it. Hijacking the giant bots body and mowing down hoards.

RR just does so much to make killing robots not get super repetative, and it helps how good all the visuals and animations and polish is. The soundtrack is great, the visuals are great, and the gunplay is great.

Its just an all around well done package by a big studio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Robo recall is definitely more polished, with more satisfying gunplay, but I'm actually enjoying Sairento more so far.

I think it's mainly because the movement is a lot more fun and important in Sairento. You're not supposed to just stand there/run around and shoot, you're supposed to be literally bouncing off the walls constantly.

Needless to say, you have to be completely immune to VR sickness, but I would guess that most people who actually stick with VR are.