Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Fun fact: Chinese r/nba "Hupu" fans made a nickname for Chandler Parsons based on his name transliteration in Hanzi, which literally means "got the money anyway,who gives a gently caress?"
https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/5za24z/fun_fact_chinese_rnba_hupu_fans_made_a_nickname/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

WhyteRyce posted:

Fun fact: Chinese r/nba "Hupu" fans made a nickname for Chandler Parsons based on his name transliteration in Hanzi, which literally means "got the money anyway,who gives a gently caress?"
https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/5za24z/fun_fact_chinese_rnba_hupu_fans_made_a_nickname/

quote:

"The HibbertCoin has circulated throughout the country. It is by far the most stable currency on the market, with an inflation rate of absolutely 0."

:drat:

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

cisneros posted:

Having a crazy dad that wants to fulfill his sports dreams through his sons is more important than genetics, really, that's why there's never been any father/ son all stars. Someone like Dell Curry, who was close enough to stardom, is an ideal situation.

Even if it's a joke I'm gonna go ahead and list a few father son combos who were both all-stars or pro-bowlers or whatever:
Ken Griffey Sr/Jr
Cecil and Prince Fielder
Clay Matthews Jr and III
Gus and Buddy Bell
George Sisler and his son Dick
The Boone family in baseball has three generations of all-stars I think
Roberto Alomar's dad Sandy was an all-star
Archie Manning and his sons Eli and Payton
Mosi and Lofa Tatupu
Kellen Winslow I & II
I think Howie Long's sons Chris and Kyle are both pro bowlers but I'm not sure

seriously the MLB and NFL have maybe a few dozen of these combos. I don't know hockey very well but I'm pretty sure the whole NHL is related. The NBA just has fewer people and a shorter history than baseball and football is all. It'll happen soon. Maybe Nance Jr. or GRIII will make a leap (TIM HARDAWAY WILL NOT! I DO NOT BELIEVE IN HIM LIKE I BELIEVE IN SO MANY OTHER EX-KNICKS!)
Jalen Rose's dad Jimmy Walker was an all-star who left Jalen's mom while she was pregnant and Jalen never had a relationship with him, but I dunno if Jalen was ever an all-star that's just me overremembering the Fab Five. Either way it's a decent argument for All Star Genes.
1 Time All Star Wally Szczerbiak's dad was a Euro-League MVP

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Not sure why everyone is hating on Lavar Ball. Sounds like he read the Art of the Deal and is putting it into practice. I bet you Cuban, Dolan, Gilbert and Ballmer are all taking notes about how the Ball kids have go getter-ism, winnerism and entrepeneurialism in their genetics.

big dollar business requires a certain animal cunning and ruthlessness, and unfortunately, ball dont lie

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Man I forgot about Kellen Winslow

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Has everyone seen that Kawhi Leonard is Jordan now?
https://streamable.com/ga4a8
It's unreal. Look at that little head fake. Look at that slow-mo on the footwork. The defense is perfect and it don't matter. That's a playoffs shot right there.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Man I forgot about Kellen Winslow

I was very confused from maybe 2006-2009ish because my friend Kellen told me his parents told him he was named after Kellen Winslow. It made no sense to me because he's only like 4 years older than my friend. I just had no idea and I was too afraid to ask

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 14, 2017

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

EvanTH posted:

Even if it's a joke I'm gonna go ahead and list a few father son combos who were both all-stars or pro-bowlers or whatever:

Only half a joke, it's just that the combination of both being really tall and athletic usually doesn't seem to pass, like, all of Karl Malone sons are freak athletes, just not enough to play PF, Bill Walton's kids were reasonably tall, but not literal giants like him, and Michael Jordan's son is about as tall as Barkley.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

cisneros posted:

Only half a joke, it's just that the combination of both being really tall and athletic usually doesn't seem to pass, like, all of Karl Malone sons are freak athletes, just not enough to play PF, Bill Walton's kids were reasonably tall, but not literal giants like him, and Michael Jordan's son is about as tall as Barkley.

Luke Walton is only 3 inches shorter than his dead.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/841696957856796672

No respect lmao.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Lmao the hot takes just keep on getting hotter.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...fb&sf62317414=1

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

mormonpartyboat posted:

big dollar business requires a certain animal cunning and ruthlessness, and unfortunately, ball dont lie

That or being born with certain..."gifts" so yeah it has lot in common with ball

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

cisneros posted:

Jordan's son is taller than 5'7"

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lockback posted:

Jordan's son is taller than 5'7"

lol I was about to edit in

cisneros posted:

He's 5'3"??

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

LOL, this is great. I love how he is now talking about his basketball skills instead of his sons.

"I would just back [Jordan] in and lift him off the ground and call a foul every time he fouls me when I do a jump hook to the right or the left," Ball said. "He cannot stop me one-on-one. He better make every shot 'cause he can't go around me. He's not fast enough. And he can only make so many shots outside before I make every bucket under the rim."

Ball averaged 2.2 points and 2.3 rebounds a game in 1987-88 season at Washington State, before he transferred to a smaller school seeking more playing time. That same season, what was M.J. averaging? An NBA-leading 35.0 points for the Chicago Bulls.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lockback posted:

I think the Nurkic trade is going to cost the Timberwolves the 8th seed. The Wolves are on absolute fire right now with a strong win streak beating some very good teams, but the Nuggets ALSO decided to catch fire.

The 8,9,10 in the West is pretty exciting right now.

Was only a matter of time before Thibs got that Wolves team rolling. Can't wait to see where he has them in another year or two when they are really dialed in defensively.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Niwrad posted:

Was only a matter of time before Thibs got that Wolves team rolling. Can't wait to see where he has them in another year or two when they are really dialed in defensively.

I think the best part is that his point guard whispering has finally gotten Rubio to learn how to finish at the god drat rim in an insanely small sample size

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Right now what's the worst-looking contract from last free agency? Is it Parsons?

Spacebump posted:

LOL, this is great. I love how he is now talking about his basketball skills instead of his sons.

"I would just back [Jordan] in and lift him off the ground and call a foul every time he fouls me when I do a jump hook to the right or the left," Ball said. "He cannot stop me one-on-one. He better make every shot 'cause he can't go around me. He's not fast enough. And he can only make so many shots outside before I make every bucket under the rim."

Ball averaged 2.2 points and 2.3 rebounds a game in 1987-88 season at Washington State, before he transferred to a smaller school seeking more playing time. That same season, what was M.J. averaging? An NBA-leading 35.0 points for the Chicago Bulls.

Wait now I kind of like him.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I hope Jordan challenges him to a 1 on 1 and Ball beats him.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I hope Jordan challenges him to a 1 on 1 and Ball beats him.

It'd be even funnier if he did and Ball somehow won.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shear Modulus posted:

Right now what's the worst-looking contract from last free agency? Is it Parsons?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lmao. and i just posted about it yesterday too

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I dunno, Parsons makes 18 million more and at his peak doesn't push the Grizzlies from perennial 2nd rounder at best.

You can argue Noah is worse because he actively blocks off actual good centers on the roster because Hornacek is afraid at times to play the better player instead of the bigger salary

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

cisneros posted:

Hahh well that's why we're talking basketball eugenics, these fools are marrying tiny normal unathletic people for love like a bunch of idiots. It's why Arvydas looms over his son.

1: sure, she loves you and cares and is a real wild chick who loves to party or whatever, but she's two feet shorter your and sons will be undersized!! This may keep them from the all-stars!

2: god dang

3: look at the size of that tiny ball

4: me as vince mcmahon falling out of his chair

If we were only a smart, forward-thinking nation like the People's Republic of China we would be mobilizing our Navy to encircle and annex New Zealand in order to capture Valerie Adams and force her into our government breeding program with LeBron James to produce a private army of supersoldiers new generation of athletes, much like the one that produced Yao Ming. Only better, because we'll get American advertising corporations to do our PR work and we'll look like good guys. Where did Giannis come from? Let's take that over. Let's conquer the whole universe looking for prospects, a wave of death and destruction washing over the galaxy, each fist of the empire lead by a council of 17 of the NBA's finest scouts, their brains removed and wired together floating in a nutrient bath to form a violent, hideous, pain-wracked consciousness that will stop at nothing to discover new talent. I know it sounds evil, but imagine the Ball... Ball is above morality. Ball transcends life. Ball is All. Ball is All...

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I didn't realize how big Parsons' contract is, Jesus.

Noah has played in more games though, at least when you're injured you're not blocking better players from playing.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Spacebump posted:

Cocaine's a helluva drug...

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

This is pure click bait at this point and idiots keep falling for it at the expense of the Ball brothers gaining a ton of animosity due to the media spanking quotes out of their idiot dad.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Tae posted:

I dunno, Parsons makes 18 million more and at his peak doesn't push the Grizzlies from perennial 2nd rounder at best.

You can argue Noah is worse because he actively blocks off actual good centers on the roster because Hornacek is afraid at times to play the better player instead of the bigger salary

Pick one of Noah/Mozgov/Mahimi/Turner/Parsons

They're all bad contracts

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Tae posted:

Exactly. Noah's signing is even hindering KP at this point because KP just gives up on rebounding whenever Noah's around. Then the second Big Billy comes in suddenly KP's crashing boards and passing out of the low block. Oh and:

I've really liked all of Jackson's moves, even the one where he sent Timmy Hardaway's scion away for trash, but holy gently caress the new CBA amnesty can't come fast enough.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Is Gilbert Arenas still under contract?

edit: wait no I think he isn't

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
He just got his last check Oct 31st.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/gilbert-arenas-just-received-the-final-check-from-the-111-million-deal-he-signed-in-2008-233643248.html

Doltos posted:

I've really liked all of Jackson's moves, even the one where he sent Timmy Hardaway's scion away for trash, but holy gently caress the new CBA amnesty can't come fast enough.

Well, there is no amnesty in the CBA anymore. The next opt-out year is 2022, so that would be the next chance for an amnesty to be added back in.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Lockback posted:

He just got his last check Oct 31st.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/gilbert-arenas-just-received-the-final-check-from-the-111-million-deal-he-signed-in-2008-233643248.html

Well, there is no amnesty in the CBA anymore. The next opt-out year is 2022, so that would be the next chance for an amnesty to be added back in.

The current CBA has the stretch clause which allows you to waive a player, which allows you spread out the salary hit over twice the number of seasons left on the contract + 1. So if the Knicks waived Noah this offseason, they could spread out his salary cap hit over 7 years, bringing down the cap hit from 18 mil to 7 mil

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Parsons contract is way worse than Noah's contract. It also probably single-handedly dooms the Grizzlies for the next few years.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The question is if the Knicks would rather give up 7 mill of cap space for that many years or trade a 1st rounder to offload him

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lmao

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Libertine posted:

Parsons contract is way worse than Noah's contract. It also probably single-handedly dooms the Grizzlies for the next few years.

The Grizzlies were hosed anyway after Mike Conley's contract and trading away 1st rounders in the future. The parsons signing doesn't really affect them in the next 4 years.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Maybe there was some chance that Parsons wouldn't be injured for the entirety of his contract just by virtue of him still being somewhat young but there was basically no chance for Noah.

Portland or somebody was also in the market for Parsons and pushing his cost up right? I can't imagine anyone else was trying to sign Noah.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Noah is giving you about average center production for half a season until he gets injured and will probably repeat that for a few more years.

Parsons is giving you vastly below average wing production for a third of a season and is making $5-6m more per year ($22M/4 years more than Noah).

I don't think there's any question that Parsons contract is much worse, and that it's by far the worst production/salary signing in the league.

I also don't think Conley's deal is bad, and he's having one of the best years of his entire career presently.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Libertine posted:

Noah is giving you about average center production for half a season until he gets injured and will probably repeat that for a few more years.

Parsons is giving you vastly below average wing production for a third of a season and is making $5-6m more per year ($22M/4 years more than Noah).

I don't think there's any question that Parsons contract is much worse, and that it's by far the worst production/salary signing in the league.

I also don't think Conley's deal is bad, and he's having one of the best years of his entire career presently.

I think it makes sense that Parsons's contract is worse unless you give a high value to the minutes and reps Noah is taking from KP.

I've thought Conley was underrated for years and thought maybe his ubercontract would make people take a second look, but he's still underrated imo.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Conley is making 30 million dollars at 30+ years old for 3 more years. His first 2 year will be fine, then an albatross later on. But I said before, it doesn't change the Grizzlies timeline because their cap and draft assets are all effectively gone until Conley's expired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Shear Modulus posted:

I think it makes sense that Parsons's contract is worse unless you give a high value to the minutes and reps Noah is taking from KP.

I've thought Conley was underrated for years and thought maybe his ubercontract would make people take a second look, but he's still underrated imo.

Porzingis is playing 33mpg this year, which is what you want a 7 footer to play. Noah isn't taking any minutes from him.

It's arguable he's jamming up the middle, but I think Zingis will want someone to take over anchoring paint and be more of a weakside guy to me, but I guess that's arguable.

• Locked thread