Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Gripweed posted:

yeah you shouldn't do that

Ok, but i'm still gonna do it. Might even turn it down to 66 out of spite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Ok, but i'm still gonna do it. Might even turn it down to 66 out of spite.

Yeah I know, that's the kind of person you are

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mine is set for 65 as we speak. It's hot in Chicago.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sorry, not going to sacrifice my comfort to make an entirely negligible contribution toward stopping climate change or whatever. You're targeting the wrong people - me driving an SUV is absolutely nothing compared to the pollution caused by manufacturing plants and industry in general. If you want to stop climate change, you have to eliminate those things, not someone who keeps their AC a little too low, and the only way to lessen the impact of those things is by having significantly less people on the planet.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tubgoat posted:

Yeah, gently caress the entire northern continental U.S.!

I’d rather bundle up and make sure I live somewhere with a fireplace than try living in the southwest or gulf in Gripweed’s eco hell

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Going full nuclear would be the first best step.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Sorry, not going to sacrifice my comfort to make an entirely negligible contribution toward stopping climate change or whatever. You're targeting the wrong people - me driving an SUV is absolutely nothing compared to the pollution caused by manufacturing plants and industry in general. If you want to stop climate change, you have to eliminate those things, not someone who keeps their AC a little too low, and the only way to lessen the impact of those things is by having significantly less people on the planet.

Yeah your small action wouldn't do anything by itself, so you will do nothing. I know this.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Gripweed posted:

Yeah your small action wouldn't do anything by itself, so you will do nothing. I know this.

Ok so get out of my rear end about it.

It's like going into a hoarders house and cleaning a square foot of it. Yes, it's a positive action, and yes if many people did it it would help in the short term, but in the long term they (we) will gently caress it up again, rendering it pointless. It's like telling the black death to cure itself. It's not what we as a species do.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Ok so get out of my rear end about it.

It's like going into a hoarders house and cleaning a square foot of it. Yes, it's a positive action, and yes if many people did it it would help in the short term, but in the long term they (we) will gently caress it up again, rendering it pointless. It's like telling the black death to cure itself. It's not what we as a species do.

I'm not up your rear end about it. I think you're just perceiving it that way because on some level you feel bad about not taking individual action

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’d rather bundle up and make sure I live somewhere with a fireplace than try living in the southwest or gulf in Gripweed’s eco hell
Waiting for the loving bus when it's -20° F is BULLSHIT, there's no amount of bundling up you can do. Heaters are necessary in regions that regularly get below 20 above.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Gripweed posted:

I'm not up your rear end about it. I think you're just perceiving it that way because on some level you feel bad about not taking individual action

What I feel bad about is that people like you think you are making a difference but you aren't. We are too far down the path to turn back now without a near-extinction level event, but even that's just a temporary solution, give us a few thousand years to rebuild and we'll be back on the brink of destroying the earth again.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

What I feel bad about is that people like you think you are making a difference but you aren't. We are too far down the path to turn back now without a near-extinction level event, but even that's just a temporary solution, give us a few thousand years to rebuild and we'll be back on the brink of destroying the earth again.

OK. But then you shouldn't care my opinion of your behavior. You should be rolling coal with complete self confidence

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I can't wait for global warming to kill every single fish in the ocean in 10 years or the entire ocean flooding every coastal city because then at least there will be less annoying people bitching about it.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Solice Kirsk posted:

I can't wait for global warming to kill every single fish in the ocean in 10 years or the entire ocean flooding every coastal city because then at least there will be less annoying people bitching about it.

A big incoming catastrophe you can wait for is most parts of Africa and India becoming uninhabitable due to the heat.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

A big incoming catastrophe you can wait for is most parts of Africa and India becoming uninhabitable due to the heat.

haven't you heard, excessive heat is good for your health and the environment

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

doverhog posted:

I mean, that's kind of a big catastrophe.....but it's still not the seas revolting against humanity to wash away the sins of man. Guess it'll do for now.....*kicks pebble

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Agreed, to wash away the sins of man properly we need to focus on the anglo nations and Western Europe.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

If it seems not enough, remember India has nuclear weapons.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

doverhog posted:

If it seems not enough, remember India has nuclear weapons.

And a nuclear neighbour with which they have a massive feud

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And a nuclear neighbour with which they have a massive feud

Over... *drumroll* water. Can't remember if China has a dog in that fight but they generally think they do.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gripweed posted:

You're supposed to watch it all
I've seen it before. I just wanted to watch the specific bit you were referring to about modernised adaptations.

What are you, my grandparents with that 80 degrees? There is nothing worse than going to their place in the florida summer where they keep it at 80. 77-78, ok, fine if you're short on money that month, but 80 is when it approaches unbearable.
Even "80" (26°) is too much air conditioning. If it's not even above 30°, don't even think about putting air conditioning on.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Reason number 51 that I don't want to go to tiggum's house.

It's very different being outside in 80+ degree weather and having it be 80+ in your house. Outside, it's fine, it's warm but whatever, you'll be inside soon probably. But when you can't escape it, it's miserable. Nobody likes sleeping when it's that hot. People objectively (translation: I think i read this somewhere) sleep better when it's cool/cold.

e: also don't fahrenheit-shame me. The only temperature scale that makes sense is Kelvin, so get off your celsius high horse

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 01:42 on Jul 21, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tiggum posted:

I've seen it before. I just wanted to watch the specific bit you were referring to about modernised adaptations.

9 minutes, 2 seconds in

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The main thing about making people handle high temperatures is make them be less fat and have better cardio. Also people who work in an air conditioned office have no idea at all what temperatures or weather means to a lot of people, myself included.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just move somewhere colder. God drat i love it when it's cold, and by cold I mean like 55 Fahrenheit.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I live in Finland and they're predicting 30 C for next week. Can't really move anywhere colder...

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

If there was somewhere that was like the lofoten islands in norway during the summer where you've got 24/7 sunlight and the temperature rarely breaks 60-70 degrees day or night, that would be paradise. Too bad it becomes a depressing dark hellscape of snow and ice the rest of the year.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Reason number 51 that I don't want to go to tiggum's house.
I don't even have air conditioning. AC seems to be way more common in America (than possibly anywhere else?). My parents' house has an air conditioner in the lounge room, but nowhere else I've lived has had one - except for one place where my bedroom was a badly-constructed extension that got up to about 50° and I had to get a free-standing unit to survive it.

e: also don't fahrenheit-shame me. The only temperature scale that makes sense is Kelvin, so get off your celsius high horse
There's no objective reason I know of to prefer fahrenheit or celsius in isolation, but the fact that celsius is the standard in practically every country means that the few still hanging on to fahrenheit are just making things difficult for everyone - including themselves. Once there's a standard you should use it unless there's a good reason not to.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

There's no objective reason I know of to prefer fahrenheit or celsius in isolation, but the fact that celsius is the standard in practically every country means that the few still hanging on to fahrenheit are just making things difficult for everyone - including themselves. Once there's a standard you should use it unless there's a good reason not to.

As a scientist obviously I think celsius makes more sense if you are being wrong and not using kelvin since it makes math easier, but for every day purposes fahrenheit has more range to it. Like the difference between tolerable to you and possibly needing AC was only 4 degrees, but with fahrenheit it's more like 20+ which makes it seem less arbitrary. Like when you hear 90 you know "that's hot", but if someone says it's going up from 25 to 30 tomorrow i'm like "hold on let me check if that's hot or not".

In summary: it depends what you were raised using. When it comes to weather people will use what they're used to.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

0 being freezing temperature, and 100 (212 F) being a good sauna temperature, makes perfect sense.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

for every day purposes fahrenheit has more range to it. Like the difference between tolerable to you and possibly needing AC was only 4 degrees, but with fahrenheit it's more like 20+ which makes it seem less arbitrary. Like when you hear 90 you know "that's hot", but if someone says it's going up from 25 to 30 tomorrow i'm like "hold on let me check if that's hot or not".

In summary: it depends what you were raised using. When it comes to weather people will use what they're used to.
You would very quickly get used to what numbers in celsius mean if you used it all the time. That is not a good argument for not switching to the standard.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Air conditioning owns, even forgetting the fact that it makes it cooler, it conditions the air greatly helping with the humidity.

My house has an AC unit hooked up through the furnace system so I have it set to a modest 75 degrees Fahrenheit all the time in the summer and then my bedroom I have a small window air conditioning unit if I feel I needed in addition to a standing fan.

I almost always do need it because it's an old brick house with plaster walls so my upstairs bedroom is always 10 + degrees warmer than the ground floor which is where the thermostat is.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

I don't even have air conditioning. AC seems to be way more common in America (than possibly anywhere else?). My parents' house has an air conditioner in the lounge room, but nowhere else I've lived has had one - except for one place where my bedroom was a badly-constructed extension that got up to about 50° and I had to get a free-standing unit to survive it.

The average high in Melbourne is 26 (80) in summer. Where I’m from it’s 33 (90). In Tucson it’s 38 (100). I wonder why you use less AC.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

doverhog posted:

The main thing about making people handle high temperatures is make them be less fat and have better cardio. Also people who work in an air conditioned office have no idea at all what temperatures or weather means to a lot of people, myself included.

I run 10k every other day and I still hate heat. Heat is loathesome and I've never seen anyone refute the argument that you can't escape from heat while if it's cold, you can bundle up.

Tiggum posted:

Yeah in Holland nobody has AC in their house. My house has a bigass tree next it it though which casts a shadow over it during most of the day, I can recommend it.

Fahrenheit is American jingoism.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The average high in Melbourne is 26 (80) in summer. Where I’m from it’s 33 (90). In Tucson it’s 38 (100). I wonder why you use less AC.
  1. Melbourne's weather is pretty variable, so it does get a lot hotter than 26° in summer. That's just the average daily maximum over three months.
  2. Why are you comparing those three specific places? What does that prove?
  3. What point are you even trying to make? The discussion was about what temperature AC should be used at and set to. I was just observing that Americans seem to own air conditioners at a higher rate than other people in the context of yeah I eat rear end's comment about not wanting to visit me because of, among other things, our differing opinions on air conditioners.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Please stop using weird moon numbers when describing heat. Grow up and join civilization and use Celsius

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

1. Melbourne's weather is pretty variable, so it does get a lot hotter than 26° in summer. That's just the average daily maximum over three months.
  2. Why are you comparing those three specific places? What does that prove?
  3. What point are you even trying to make? The discussion was about what temperature AC should be used at and set to. I was just observing that Americans seem to own air conditioners at a higher rate than other people in the context of yeah I eat rear end's comment about not wanting to visit me because of, among other things, our differing opinions on air conditioners.

I think his point is that, on average, the hot places in america are significantly hotter than where you live, hence the higher air conditioning ownership. There's a big difference between "it gets a lot hotter than 26 degrees sometimes" and "it's almost always a lot hotter than 26 degrees during the summer". A couple days here and there, ok you can suffer through it. If it's more constant, AC is more than worth it even if it's not strictly necessary.

And it's not your opinion that would keep me away, it's the too-high temperature where you live. If you go to a friend's place and it's too cold, you just get a blanket. If it's too hot, you start looking for a reason to make an early exit.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Fahrenheit is the superior system, I'm not sure why the rest of the world is so set on pegging things to the boiling and freezing point of water

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

John Fahrenheit: "I have created a system for measuring temperature in which the temperatures people commonly experience are covered by numbers 0 through 100. Anything below 0 is too cold, anything above 100 is too hot. It a simple, elegant system"

Dichael Celsius: "No! It has to be pegged to water! That is literally the only thing matters! My system is smarter because it matches water!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

If we were going to switch I'd rather see us use the Delisle scale. It still has nice even numbers for freezing/boiling (0/150), but with 50 more degrees to more finely refine the temperatures in between.