Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

wooger posted:

Enve frames are meh endurance frames for $$$$.

The only thing that makes me want one is they have mudguard mounts on an otherwise a e r o frame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Not bad for 400 bucks

Also, I took the wheel off to fit it in my car, and when I put it back on, it sounds like a section of the disc is scraping the caliper. Is it just a matter of realigning until it stops scraping?

can I edit an attachment image to make it less big

There are two bolts holding the caliper on the frame - loosen them and pull the brake lever to clamp the caliper centered on the rotor. Tighten the bolts and see if it's better. If it's not, then you'll have to mess with the alignment manually a bit.

Holding a piece of white paper behind the caliper when you're looking at it to see if it's centered on the rotor can help with being able to see the rotor/pad gap more clearly.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I installed too narrow rim tape which allowed it to move a bit and the nipple hole sliced my inner tube open during yesterday's trip.

I need to get some tape with proper width to avoid future incidents.

Yesterday was super hot, around 25 celsius, so I drank like 4,5 liters of water during a 60km trip. Average speed was below 18km/h. Rear panniers had some water, cooking kit and extra weight to make things more difficult.

The unindexed cable tension adjustment in Sensah real deraileur, or perhaps new cable stretch, caused issues with shifting. I need to readjust the rear deraileur and if the settings don't stay put during next trip I need to file some indexes to the adjuster. Chinese companies have a fetish for unindexed adjustments - in camera lenses, deraileurs, brake calipers etc and I don't understand why. Only a low amount of friction will keep the adjustment put and it is often not enough.

Perhaps I should consider investing in a RD with indexed cable adjustment which supports a 11-46t 1x setup. Sensah SRX pro brifters have perhaps a sram/shimano mtb compatible cable pull?

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 19, 2024

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Took the friend for his first ride in a decade+ and it was a success. He's borrowing my other bike and wants to go for rides a couple times a week!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I see that in the OP, under "e-bikes" it says "no." Should I not ask about e-bikes in this thread? Thanks.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I see that in the OP, under "e-bikes" it says "no." Should I not ask about e-bikes in this thread? Thanks.

There's an ebike thread.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

the ebike thread is here

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

This bike was five bucks

It's pretty decent!

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
all bikes are beautiful

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
Thanks for the insight on Salsa and REI bikes. I found a local shop and picked up a Kona Rove today because it was a better fit.

If this was a stupid choice, feel free to make fun of me. If it wasn’t, feel free to congratulate me on beginning my journey to Lycra-powered godhood.

I put a couple of miles on it when I got home. I like it a lot. Now that I'm not a dumb teenager i understand why seats are so high properly adjusted.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

krispykremessuck posted:

I found a local shop and picked up a Kona Rove today because it was a better fit.

If this was a stupid choice

Did the shop talk about how they’d handle warranties? Kona corporate was shut down in mid April and there’s no news that anyone has decided to buy the brand in name or operation.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Did the shop talk about how they’d handle warranties? Kona corporate was shut down in mid April and there’s no news that anyone has decided to buy the brand in name or operation.

No, that didn’t come up, but I’ll ask them. That said, there was a pretty deep discount on the bike, and that probably explains it. I didn’t realize Kona was going (or had already gone) out of business.

Well anyway, at least I know not to buy another one. I’ll just ride this until it falls apart completely.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
You still have a cool bike! I'm sad to see Kona go.

I wouldn't sweat the warranty thing, frame issues are rare and you can learn to fix anything else that might come up.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

This bike was five bucks

It's pretty decent!

That is a sharp bike! How was it just $5, though?

=================

Double-post-in-one time.

I've been watching some videos on 1970s Schwinns, now that I have one. I've seen bottom bracket conversions, complete restorations, etc.

My plan with this bike is to fix what needs fixing, and get it in roadworthy condition. It absolutely needs new tires, 27" × 1 1/4" to be exact. The derailleur needs to be taken apart, cleaned, lubed, and reassembled. I'll need some cables to replace the corroded and slightly frayed brake and shifter cables, and I might want to deal with the housing, too. I think replacing the wheels with 700c will be more hassle than it's worth, so I'll be cleaning these up and maybe looking for an aluminum wheelset. The crank bearings are squeaky, so I'll be dealing with that, and the chain should be replaced.

Does anyone have a recommendation on any guides, on YouTube or elsewhere, for this kind of thing? I know that restoring vintage Schwinns is a whole thing, but most of what I'm finding on YouTube is either piecemeal "how to do this one thing" type stuff, or restorations that either don't show major steps, or they do the work with improvised tools and methods that kind-of make me nervous.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

PoorPeteBest posted:

You still have a cool bike! I'm sad to see Kona go.

I wouldn't sweat the warranty thing, frame issues are rare and you can learn to fix anything else that might come up.

That’s how I’m looking at it. I really like the bike so assuming the frame doesn’t come apart I’m not worried. I am going to follow up with the bike shop because it is one of those shoulda told me kind of things, I think. I doubt I’d have made a different decision, but still.

And yeah, maybe in 30 years when we’re all dead from climate change or PFAS-poisoning some wasteland inhabitant will find my Kona bike like a pristine 1960s era Schwinn and lord it over everyone.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Roves are good bikes

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
We sell a lot of roves and i've never seen a broken one. have seen a few broken aluminum process and generic hardtail frames. and a honzo esd that was probably actually damaged by the guy's tailgate.

I did try to get a bolt and pivot kit for my hei hei a few weeks ago when we had to order a rocker for a guy but they were out of stock so not sure i'll ever be able to get one of those. but oh well i guess, it's been a solid bike for the last 4 years.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

tarlibone posted:

That is a sharp bike! How was it just $5, though?

Rich people who made zero effort to sell, so there was one poorly lit picture, it was absolutely filthy with the chain hanging down, bars loose and tyres flat. To be fair I had to do the bar tape cause that was knackered but that was it.

The seller wasn't happy that nobody else bidded lol

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

amenenema posted:

There are two bolts holding the caliper on the frame - loosen them and pull the brake lever to clamp the caliper centered on the rotor. Tighten the bolts and see if it's better. If it's not, then you'll have to mess with the alignment manually a bit.

Holding a piece of white paper behind the caliper when you're looking at it to see if it's centered on the rotor can help with being able to see the rotor/pad gap more clearly.

this did the trick, thx

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Salt Fish posted:

I've never been much of a century guy, but my riding has been stretching out into some serious miles this spring. I did a 50 mile, 35 mile (on the minivelo) and then 60 mile ride this week. Compare that to my record all time miles which is 98 miles. (I got lost on a 70 mile ride before cellphones).

I get pretty in the tank by about mile 45 where I start getting weird thought patterns and music starts looping in my head. The stiffness and discomfort are definitely a factor starting around mile 40, but I noticed that as I do this more and more I am 100% comfortable for easily 35 miles. No detectable issues, just having fun and cruising around. At mile 60 it was really just discomfort from exhaustion (compared to ergonomic issues) where I even opted to take a longer route to avoid having to pass people on a MUP which was draining all my energy.

So that brings me to my question; how trainable is total comfort? Can you in theory do a century with no discomfort, or is pushing through the weird mental and physical side effects just a necessary part of marathon riding?

I used to ride with these dudes who were 50-65 age range and they would do a century every sunday. I really wonder if they had like evolved past some threshold that made that seem like a normal ride.
I am coming to the end of a cycling holiday in Majorca it will be my biggest week on a bike, 337 miles. Also this is on a rental bike, I fairly regularly ride 100 miles but in a group. For me it's just a matter of feeding and watering and being conservative with power, I am doing chase the sun next month which will be 200+ miles and last year feeding myself was the hardest problem. BTW I am 62.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

kimbo305 posted:

Seems like we got the best possible outcome considering the circumstances:

quote:

Kona Bicycles has been in the news lately. We’d love to say that it’s because the new Ouroboros is blowing everyone’s minds (because it really is that good), but truthfully, it has been a bumpy couple of years. So, it’s time to print a positive headline: Kona is returning home to its roots.

Dan Gerhard and Jake Heilbron have purchased the brand back from Kent Outdoors, and along with a team of dedicated, experienced Kona employees, are reuniting to keep the Long, Sweet Ride rolling.
/.../

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 37 minutes!
The Kona Sutra with the touring racks and bar end shifters was my first choice for a steel bike but we couldn't find any of them here. Sad!

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
Hey hey! Hei Hei!

https://bikepacking.com/news/kona-bikes-bought-by-founders/

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

mikemelbrooks posted:

I am coming to the end of a cycling holiday in Majorca it will be my biggest week on a bike, 337 miles. Also this is on a rental bike, I fairly regularly ride 100 miles but in a group. For me it's just a matter of feeding and watering and being conservative with power, I am doing chase the sun next month which will be 200+ miles and last year feeding myself was the hardest problem. BTW I am 62.

I'll see you there. I've got 145 miles planned in for Monday and then that will be the furthest training ride I'll do before the event. Anything more than that I'm going to leave to the day so adrenalin will carry me though.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I was hoping to race the sun but the elevation they threw into the 200 this year is intimidating. I did a 125mi/10k ft race back in March that took me 12h45m with 3h40 min of that only covering 13 miles of singletrack mud and hopping over down trees plus fixing a sidewalk puncture. That was mostly a solo riding effort on a flatbar gravel bike so with some good pacelines, better aerodynamics, and mechanical luck I may stand a chance?

I’m also hoping Unbound will offer me good weather luck for a change since my race days have all been insanely hot or wet for the last year.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Hell yeah poor decision-making pays off again

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 37 minutes!

mikemelbrooks posted:

Hell yeah

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Well, poo poo...

I had never serviced the headset bearings on my 3 year old bike, mostly because of laziness and because I never had issues with steering or did much riding in the rain. Turns out, I should have done it earlier, because when I dropped the fork out of the headtube, I noticed a pretty deep scratch on the steerer tube. This made me realize that the black dust that sometimes accumulated in the gap between headtube and fork was not, as I had believed, road dust but shavings from the steerer tube. :gonk: Maybe a bit naive, but this is my first carbon bike after all.

And here's the culprit: The screw holding in the grommet for the internal brake hose routing thingy in the headtube is maybe 2 or 3 mm too long.

Will take those pics to the shop I bought the bike from today and see what they say. I feel a bit stupid for not investigating the black dust earlier, on the other hand this is such a stupid manufacturing (or assembly) gently caress up that I would never have expected.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

You just saved yourself from a potentially horrific crash. I’m really interested in what the shop have to say.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I came off my bike at the weekend - an embarrassing unforced error on an empty road. With full mirror shades and a shady lane with overhanging trees, I hit an unmarked, small but very sharp/steep speedbump at 20+mph and came off, sliding down the road a bit.

Bike lost all the bartape on the right hand drop but is otherwise fine.

I had cuts and grazes on my right knee, elbow, knuckles, and heavily bruised my right knee.
The real casualty was my almost new white leather shoes, now both cosmetically faaacked like they’ve been attacked with a sanding belt. I’m working out how best to repair them now.

I was ~60km into an imperial century, which I then finished on adrenaline and embarrassment.
Now limping and my knee was somewhat swollen on Monday but it should be only days of recovery.

I feel really dumb.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
That sucks, it can happen to anyone. I almost ate it the exact same way this week. 20mph, black on black crack in the road, in the shade. Hope you heal quick!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I also biffed it at a race and RIP collarbone. Rode back to the start and the EMT told me I’d know if it was broken. Got an X-ray the next day and confirmed it was broken. Surprisingly not very painful. Road rash is way worse to deal with.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I set my single speed up in fixie mode. I'm riding it up and down the hill I live at the bottom of, practicing this totally useful skill.

How fixie enthusiasts rode totally brakeless is beyond me and my 48-year-old, factory-issue, literally bone-stock knees.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

wooger posted:

I came off my bike at the weekend - an embarrassing unforced error on an empty road. With full mirror shades and a shady lane with overhanging trees, I hit an unmarked, small but very sharp/steep speedbump at 20+mph and came off, sliding down the road a bit.

I had cuts and grazes on my right knee, elbow, knuckles, and heavily bruised my right knee.
The real casualty was my almost new white leather shoes, now both cosmetically faaacked like they’ve been attacked with a sanding belt. I’m working out how best to repair them now.

I was ~60km into an imperial century, which I then finished on adrenaline and embarrassment.
Now limping and my knee was somewhat swollen on Monday but it should be only days of recovery.

I feel really dumb.
That sucks.
I had a few close calls riding on the back lanes of Majorca, the are olive trees grow close to the road and their roots grow under the tarmac pushing it up, also the dappled shade makes them impossible to see.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

wooger posted:

I feel really dumb.

Heal up quickly goon! Find this at your local pharmacy, the come in various sizes for the road rash. https://www.amazon.com/Tegaderm-Transparent-Dressing-Label-1626W/dp/B07M9WQFPP/

I'd also definitely check your drivetrain/rear derailleur if you crashed on the right side, hanger could be bent etc.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I did a 60 mile out and back but when I was done I couldn't remember where I parked and I had to ride another 40 minutes to find my car. Up and down every single street in this town I'd never been in. Turns out I passed my car without realizing it at least once. Very excellent and reassuring that I'm very smart.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

I did that after l’étape du tour that started and ended in Annecy. Took over an hour going up and down residential streets looking for a car, terrible feeling as the sun fades and you’re just lost and tired.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Salt Fish posted:

I did a 60 mile out and back but when I was done I couldn't remember where I parked and I had to ride another 40 minutes to find my car. Up and down every single street in this town I'd never been in. Turns out I passed my car without realizing it at least once. Very excellent and reassuring that I'm very smart.

Do you have a gps computer? Some will allow you to do a "route to start"

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Do y’all not have a Garmin or Wahoo to check where the start point of the ride was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
gently caress computers!!