Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Bovril Delight posted:

I want to get a needlepoint in 8 bit styling of the scene in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom where the priest rips out the man's heart. What would be the best way to go about getting this done and commissioned?

fiverr.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

You Are A Elf posted:

Is it safe and fine by electrical codes to install 20 amp receptacles (electrical switches and outlets) on a 15 amp circuit breaker? I know the breaker will still be rated at and trip if 15 amps are exceeded, and I know the receptacles won't magically make the breaker 20 amps, but I have a spare outlet and switch (both rated at 20 amps) that are going in a dual gang box on its own circuit that may have a 15 amp breaker (I'll find out the breaker rating tomorrow).

If the breaker is 20, then I'm all set, but if it's 15, will it be fine if I install them anyway?

Yep, you'll be fine.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

razz posted:

I remember a funny website from a while ago where some guy tried to see how crazy of a signature he could get away with. I think he even signed a receipt as THIS CARD IS STOLEN! or something like that.

This is the one you're thinking of:
http://www.zug.com/pranks/credit/index.html

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
May sound like a weird question; how prevalent is underage drinking in the US and what is the mentality towards it. As most of my American cultural information comes from TV shows and movies, I'm not sure how much of this is propaganda and how much is reality. For comparison, here the legal drinking age is 16 and the real drinking age (where people actually start drinking) pretty much varies from 14-18 though I'm sure there are exceptions in both ways. Culturally almost nobody gives a poo poo and the government has only made owning alcohol as someone younger than 16 illegal as of this year.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Underage drinking is extremely prevalent on college campuses and with the college age group in general. Usually it happens at house parties, although there are also people with fake IDs and in many towns a couple bars known for letting 'unders' (18-20) drink. It's more or less accepted by everyone except the most deep in denial parents that 18-20 year olds drink. If I had to pull a number out my rear end I'd say 95% of people drink something before they turn 21 and those that don't generally don't drink after either.

Younger than that and people start to have a problem with it. Since its illegal drinking under 18 (and under 20 but people don't care nearly as much once your 18) is usually unsupervised binge drinking. So people don't like that.

The ultimate irony here is that the drinking age law basically just ensures that nobody develops a healthy relationship with alcohol in a controlled manner so there are more problems in the college age group (and likely the same if not more total alcohol consumed) than if we had a reasonable drinking age.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Does anyone know the name of that criminal who was shot by the victim's father as he made his way out of court or something? This happened a while ago. I think the footage was black and white.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Geek U.S.A. posted:

Does anyone know the name of that criminal who was shot by the victim's father as he made his way out of court or something? This happened a while ago. I think the footage was black and white.

Kind of a long shot, but any chance you're thinking of Jack Ruby shooting Oswald?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Geek U.S.A. posted:

This?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=7f5_1281036313

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Oh my god. It's actually both because I had mixed up the stories :downs:

Thanks guys.. I haven't felt this stupid in a long time.

The Ol Spicy Keychain fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 13, 2013

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

The ultimate irony here is that the drinking age law basically just ensures that nobody develops a healthy relationship with alcohol in a controlled manner so there are more problems in the college age group (and likely the same if not more total alcohol consumed) than if we had a reasonable drinking age.

This is what always threw me about American culture, and something I'd worry about as a parent. Especially when you consider that people are allowed to drive at the age of 16 in the US. I imagine lots of youngsters that start to drink (legally) will be overconfident in their driving skills and think driving while having had a few is no big deal.

Here in the Netherlands you can start drinking at the age of 16, but you can't get your driver's permit until you're 18, so people have a lot more respect for both. Of course, another major difference is the bicycle culture we've got, and our excellent public transportation, so getting to and from the bar or club is never an issue even if you have been drinking, and the distances are a lot smaller.

Driving in the US seems scary to me.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Pretty sure the UK has a much lower drinking age and that doesn't prevent them from having a culture where binge drinking isn't a serious public health issue.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

baquerd posted:

Yep, you'll be fine.

Thanks. Was 99.9% sure I'd be fine, but I wanted to get a second opinion.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

El_Elegante posted:

Pretty sure the UK has a much lower drinking age and that doesn't prevent them from having a culture where binge drinking isn't a serious public health issue.

True, and binge drinking is a growing concern in the Netherlands as well, but that wasn't really my point. This is all biased by my own upbringing of course, but a legal drinking age of 21 seems ridiculously late for cultural reasons. Although it's probably a very good thing regarding the physical and psychological development of the human body, alcohol is so infused in today's society you get underage drinking, and prohibiting it isn't a solution, and instead might even make things worse.

On the other hand, I feel that a 16 year old doesn't have the maturity and sense of responsibility needed to (relatively) safely drive a car and participate in traffic, but again, those are all my own biases. It's all pretty arbitrary anyway, but it seems so weird to me that drinking alcohol is somehow too dangerous or destructive for a 16-21 year old, but driving isn't.

Cultural differences, I guess.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Incidentally, if a quick Google search on the topic can be believed (http://mentalfloss.com/article/19437/why-drinking-age-21), the drinking age was chosen at 21 because in old English law that was the age at which you became eligible for knighthood. (Other sources [http://www.legalflip.com/Article.aspx?id=20&pageid=93] cite differences in how the brain deals with alcohol depending on age, with 21 being the "magic" number at which the brain is fully mature. But the knighthood argument is a lot more fun, even if it's wrong.)

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Why do so many goons have the Spider-Man in a construction hardhat avatar?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Red posted:

Why do so many goons have the Spider-Man in a construction hardhat avatar?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2359

quote:

In September 2011 some mysterious person in BSS began buying many, many people an avatar of Spiderman wearing a hard hat with accompanying title text (usually). As of this writing, the identity of the deep-pocketed mystery poster is still unknown.

In the funny panel thread, TwoPair posted this panel with a ridiculous looking Spiderman wearing a hard hat. User IndustrialPope posted that panel in avatar form very soon after, and almost immediately nearly all subsequent forums users who posted in the thread were given the avatar. Stranger still, most of those posters were given new title text relating to their post in that thread. And even stranger still, forums users reacting to posters with these new avatars in other areas of the forums were also amongst those given the new avatar, again with title text relating to their post. For others, the title text came from posts made by the user long before; the point is that the person behind the avatar epidemic was very thorough, had a lot of time on their hands, and had plenty of money to spend (apparently).

For now, the avatar handouts seem to have stopped.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Taeke posted:

Of course, another major difference is the bicycle culture we've got, and our excellent public transportation, so getting to and from the bar or club is never an issue even if you have been drinking, and the distances are a lot smaller.

Fun fact: Here in Los Angeles, my friend got a DUI for riding his bicycle drunk. I'm sure if they could figure out a way to cite you for riding the metro drunk, they would do that too.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Grundulum posted:

Incidentally, if a quick Google search on the topic can be believed (http://mentalfloss.com/article/19437/why-drinking-age-21), the drinking age was chosen at 21 because in old English law that was the age at which you became eligible for knighthood. (Other sources [http://www.legalflip.com/Article.aspx?id=20&pageid=93] cite differences in how the brain deals with alcohol depending on age, with 21 being the "magic" number at which the brain is fully mature. But the knighthood argument is a lot more fun, even if it's wrong.)

And even that's a fairly recent development. I want to say that in the late 70's-mid 80's, the drinking age was just 18. That could be a state by state thing though.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Fun fact: Here in Los Angeles, my friend got a DUI for riding his bicycle drunk. I'm sure if they could figure out a way to cite you for riding the metro drunk, they would do that too.

Being drunk in public is actually illegal here, as is riding a bicycle drunk, but cycling is so safe here (cycling lanes everywhere, and you're actually a respected participant in traffic) cops generally don't give a gently caress unless you're a danger to yourself or others.

They only recently (since January 1st) made possession of alcohol under the age of 16 illegal, and there's talk of raising the drinking age to 18.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

RaoulDuke12 posted:

In many places you can also be arrested for being drunk while operating a boat or even riding a horse.

CzarChasm posted:

And even that's a fairly recent development. I want to say that in the late 70's-mid 80's, the drinking age was just 18. That could be a state by state thing though.

Wyoming and South Dakota were the last 2 states to raise the drinking age to 21 in 1988

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

Before 1984, it was a state-by-state thing. The National Minimum Drinking Age Act changed that:

quote:

Legislation concerning the legal minimum drinking age in the United States can be traced back to the days of prohibition. In 1920, the 18th amendment to the U.S. Constitution declared it illegal to manufacture, transport, or sell intoxicating liquors.[2] This was repealed with the passing of the 21st amendment in 1933, which was followed by the adoption of minimum legal drinking age policies in all states, with most states electing a minimum legal drinking age (MLDA) of 21.[2] Between 1970 and 1975, 29 states lowered the MLDA from 21 to 18, 19, or 20. This was primarily due to the passing of the 26th Amendment which lowered the required voting age from 21 to 18.[2]

However, these changes were soon followed by studies showing an increase in motor vehicle fatalities attributable to the decreased MLDA. In response to these findings, many states returned the minimum legal drinking age to 21.[2] In 1984, the National Minimum Legal Drinking Act, written by Senator Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) and influenced by Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD), required all states to enforce a minimum legal drinking age of 21 or else risk losing 10% of all federal highway construction funds. As the minimum legal drinking age was still left to the discretion of the state, the act did not violate the 10th amendment, meant to reserve all responsibilities not specifically appointed to the federal government for the states.[2] However, as the act controlled the distribution of anywhere from 8 to 99 million dollars, depending on the size of the state, for all intents and purposes the act mandated a minimum legal drinking age of 21.[2] By 1988, all 50 states and DC were in compliance, but Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands (and Guam until 2010) remained at 18 despite the loss of highway funding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Minimum_Drinking_Age_Act

The court case that upheld it, South Dakota v. Dole, is a staple of Con Law textbooks because it's one of the few cases addressing the limits of Congress's spending power.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
How does Chrome decide what to add to its list of search engines? Some sites I use frequently don't get added automatically (google maps is a good example), and I have to add them myself manually. And on the other hand, there are things in there for sites I've visited one time without even using their search functionality.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

RaoulDuke12 posted:

"Public intoxication" (being drunk in a public area, even with no vehicles involved) is illegal in some areas. So just hanging out at a park drunk can be illegal. Walking home drunk can be illegal.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

razz posted:

"Public intoxication" (being drunk in a public area, even with no vehicles involved) is illegal in some areas. So just hanging out at a park drunk can be illegal. Walking home drunk can be illegal.

In Texas you can be arrested for being drunk inside a bar. Or god forbid a gay bar.

I cannot find any links to it but I remember a case during this raid where a man was arrested for intoxication in the bar of the hotel he was staying at that night. He lost his job because he no-showed to give a presentation to a client the next day.

Yin
Jul 3, 2012

Waah, please don't
suck me up!
I'm trying to remember the name of a comedian, or rather a comedian's stage character. He wears black glasses, frowns really hard, uses a lot of dry humor and inappropriate jokes, has like 3 glasses of alcohol in one arm and goes through them during his act, and speaks in an annoying voice to punchline his jokes. Anyone know?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Yin posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a comedian, or rather a comedian's stage character. He wears black glasses, frowns really hard, uses a lot of dry humor and inappropriate jokes, has like 3 glasses of alcohol in one arm and goes through them during his act, and speaks in an annoying voice to punchline his jokes. Anyone know?

Neil Hamburger!

Yin
Jul 3, 2012

Waah, please don't
suck me up!

Golbez posted:

Neil Hamburger!

Ah yes, America's youngest comedian, how could I forget. Thanks.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
How long could a crew survive on the International Space Station without any resupplies?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Taeke posted:

Being drunk in public is actually illegal here

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

In Texas you can be arrested for being drunk inside a bar.

Pretty sure this is true in most places. It's one of those laws that's there to give the police the option of stopping problems before they start. If it looks like you're about to start a fight or if you're harassing other customers or whatever they can arrest you for being drunk in public to get you out of there. It can also be used to make life difficult for people the police don't like.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Law posted:

How long could a crew survive on the International Space Station without any resupplies?

They carry supplies for about 8 months at any one time.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I just Jailbreak'd my iPad. Is there a specific app repository or website where I can find all kinds of third party stuff? When I google I just get HOW TO JAILBREAK pages, and articles about individual apps. And Cydia seems more focused on system-related stuff.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Corridor posted:

I just Jailbreak'd my iPad. Is there a specific app repository or website where I can find all kinds of third party stuff? When I google I just get HOW TO JAILBREAK pages, and articles about individual apps. And Cydia seems more focused on system-related stuff.

You want to read through the iOS Jailbreak thread.

There's some lists of repos in there.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Corridor posted:

This thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3412396

On the last page or two are links to google docs listing apps and tweaks.

Also tell Cydia you're a user rather than hacker or developer and it'll hide the system poo poo.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
I just accidentally might have run a red crosswalk light and a camera flashed. I went back and the speed limit at the time was 35. The yellow light was about 3 seconds, which is shorter than what the minimum yellow light time is supposed to be.

What are the odds that the court will actually give a poo poo that this was not, by at least a full second, enough time to safely stop a car?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Noni posted:

I just accidentally might have run a red crosswalk light and a camera flashed. I went back and the speed limit at the time was 35. The yellow light was about 3 seconds, which is shorter than what the minimum yellow light time is supposed to be.

What are the odds that the court will actually give a poo poo that this was not, by at least a full second, enough time to safely stop a car?

There is not actually a minimum time a yellow light is supposed to be. Whatever jurisdiction this is is probably intentionally doing this to grab people.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Noni posted:

Not sure what state you are in but someone in CA successfully argued this. 3.15 seconds there.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/docs/2012/ca-borzakian.pdf

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Is there any way to force my HD RAZR Maxx onto 4g?

The building i work in i get one or two bars, but there is a 3g extender literally twenty feet from my cubicle. I always have full bars so my phone switches to the slower connection. What's worse is everyone in the office is on this extender so it is crowded and slow.

It's frustrating because i walk to the other side of the room and i have 4g again, but back at my desk it will always switch over after a minute or two.

I haven't been able to find an option to turn 3g off but keep 4g on.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

greatn posted:

Is there any way to force my HD RAZR Maxx onto 4g?

The building i work in i get one or two bars, but there is a 3g extender literally twenty feet from my cubicle. I always have full bars so my phone switches to the slower connection. What's worse is everyone in the office is on this extender so it is crowded and slow.

It's frustrating because i walk to the other side of the room and i have 4g again, but back at my desk it will always switch over after a minute or two.

I haven't been able to find an option to turn 3g off but keep 4g on.

Dial the code *#*#4636#*#* and select the phone information option. In there will be a drop down list that says "Set preferred network type", which you can set to LTE preferred or LTE only, etc.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Experto Crede posted:

Dial the code *#*#4636#*#* and select the phone information option. In there will be a drop down list that says "Set preferred network type", which you can set to LTE preferred or LTE only, etc.

Thanks, unfortunately my only options in that menu were Select Radio Band(where choices were USA or Cellular), View Sim Address Book, View Fixed Dialing Numbers, View Service Dialing Numbers, Get PDP List, Disable Data Connection.

Maybe they removed that option.

Edit: i think i found it, under Wireless and Networks-> More-> Mobile Networks-> Network Mode

Edit 2: that worked for a few minutes, but i think my desk is a nexus point where the 4g just doesn't reach, take one step backward and I'll have one bar again. Oh well :v: maybe they'll get a 4g extender someday.

greatn fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Can the word "effectively" be used with the meaning of "in effect"? Example: He effectively lost the race when he tripped.

I get that it definitely works with the meaning of "to (good) effect", as in: He completed the task effectively. But using it as "in effect" seems to be a little controversial. I like to be :spergin: about my choice of words so is there a guideline on this? I hope it's not another prescriptive vs descriptive thing.