Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I've been reading and watching Boston stuff all day.

Did GRRM happen to announce the new book while I was gone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I've been reading and watching Boston stuff all day.

Did GRRM happen to announce the new book while I was gone?

Yeah I guess Dany and Drogon kind of gently caress up a Dothraki polo game and then they're on the lam for a while until she finds a boat to hide out in.

Stay tuned.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

*Dzhokar

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
So is the H.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

well yeah if you're gonna go around romanizing everyones name and then gently caress it up anyway

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Apr 20, 2013

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

In actual GRRM news, there's this:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/321014.html

which is good news for at least one person in Santa Fe (Gurm), when they start airing loops of Iron Chef and KFC commercials non-stop.

Okay, but really, this is the best thing a rich nerd can do. Not in a business sense, but in a keeping part of your memories alive sorta way.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm a bit behind here, but Livejournal? Really?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Shoehead posted:

I'm a bit behind here, but Livejournal? Really?
Yeah, he should transfer his blog to Tumblr, and rename it the Gurmblr.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Sorry it's just that the idea of GURM using Livejournal fits so perfectly that I thought it HAD to be a joke.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Of course GRRM uses Livejournal. He uses a defunct word processor to write, too.

You know how retro hipsters purposely use old stuff to seem classy and vintage? GRRM is like that, except it's because he's loving lazy and wallows in his own filth like a dog.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Of course GRRM uses Livejournal. He uses a defunct word processor to write, too.
Actually, in lieu of stone tablets, he uses a rusty nail to carve his manuscripts into the backs of untainted teenage girls.

An average ASoIaF page takes about two of these virgins' backs to write out, so production of the ADWD manuscript took well over 2,000 of them. Whether their lives were worth the sacrifice, is up to the reader to decide.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I was going to comment on his official site being the epitome of the late 90's internet but he's actually got a new site up and it's reasonably with the times.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Hey now! There's nothing wrong with using Livejournal! I have a livejournal.

Out of curiosity, how many chapters now have we seen from the next book? It feels like a surprisingly large number. I'm torn between wanting to consume new chapters and not wanting half the book to be spoiled by the time it comes out...

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

CountFosco posted:

Out of curiosity, how many chapters now have we seen from the next book? It feels like a surprisingly large number.
One from Arianne, two from Barristan, one from Theon, one from Tyrion, and parts of one from Victarion. So six-ish.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Gurm posted:

So please, readers, fans, don't get nuts. I am a novelist and a screenwriter, not a theatre manager, it won't be me standing at the concession stand asking if you want butter on your popcorn.

that's not butter

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

nuncle jimbo posted:

that's not butter
I can't believe it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

GRRM posted:

Before that, however, it was one of the city's nicest film venues. It offered coffee and pastries, and had the best popcorn in town, fresh-popped with real butter and parmesan cheese.

Give back to the community my rear end, you bought it so they'd keep making you popcorn and pastries you slovenly bastard.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

GRRM just wants to mainline butter straight into his heart.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

For years he has studied the ancient art of butter bending, the secret fifth element besides Water, Fire, Earth and Air. He is now a Master Butterbender, the last of his kind. Even Bloodbenders fear his churn.

Brinstar Brew
Aug 8, 2007

Who's the guy in the Victorian diving apparatus?

Joramun posted:

For years he has studied the ancient art of butter bending, the secret fifth element besides Water, Fire, Earth and Air. He is now a Master Butterbender, the last of his kind. Even Bloodbenders fear his churn.

Lactokinesis

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Looks like tonight's episode is going to have Jeor kick the bucket. He was one of my favourite characters in the book, so it'll be sad to see him go...again.

I found I wound up liking secondary characters the most in ASOIAF anyways. I mean, the main characters are all fine, but they all wind up dead or turn into unlikable dipshits over the course of the series. The only POV characters I still care about are Jamie and Victarion (and Jamie I started off hating). The problem with liking secondary characters is they all wind up dead, like Jeor, or get written out of the story when they're no longer of use, like Bronn.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
It's a double shame because James Cosmo is fuckin' KILLING it as Jeor Mormont.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

Blind Sally posted:

Looks like tonight's episode is going to have Jeor kick the bucket. He was one of my favourite characters in the book, so it'll be sad to see him go...again.

I found I wound up liking secondary characters the most in ASOIAF anyways. I mean, the main characters are all fine, but they all wind up dead or turn into unlikable dipshits over the course of the series. The only POV characters I still care about are Jamie and Victarion (and Jamie I started off hating). The problem with liking secondary characters is they all wind up dead, like Jeor, or get written out of the story when they're no longer of use, like Bronn.

Still mourning Viserys and his dashing good looks.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

The Mutato posted:

Still mourning Viserys and his dashing good looks.

I believe his looks were moreso running.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Strong Belwas, Olenna Tyrell, Darkstar, Hot Pie, Dolorous Edd, Bronn, Blackfish, B. Ric Don drat Son.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Throw in Oberyn, Thoros, Daario, Monster Cock Tormund, and Gayeron Damphair as well

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot

Blind Sally posted:

Totally true, and then there's the ones you only hear about. Lyanna, Rhaegar, and a few others who apparently had no great failings, but you get just enough information to want to know more.

At what point did Dany become completely retarded btw. Her POV chapters don't convey a character that is thinking clearly. I think it is pretty obvious, in book five, that she is under some sort of evil influence, with all of the witchdoctors and stuff around her and especially an old rotting hag in a green burkha.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

lelandjs posted:

Whelp Westeros is hosed.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

God drat. God drat Dany is going to gently caress poo poo up

KnoxZone posted:

The armies of Mordor are about to lay waste to Westeros.

This series is the series that keeps on trolling.

Bulletproof Tiger
Nov 2, 2010
Man, the amount of Dany trolling the show is doing is incredible. I cannot wait for all the show watchers making GBS threads themselves in excitement to slowly realize that that is the last cool thing Dany will every do. Also, Queen of Thorns in the show owns.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Every Dany scene for season 5 until the arena should just be Dany and Barristan staring at walls.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

God drat. God drat Dany is going to gently caress poo poo up

The best post.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Watching the hopes of others squelched is the only joy in my life

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I just want to hear Emilia Clarke say ~~~~MY DAARIO~~~~ in that ridiculous faux-accent of hers.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

What if we're the ones being trolled? What if the writers decide to throw out everything after A Storm of Swords and write something filmable instead? Eh, we'd get to see GRRM's probably fatal reaction so I guess it evens out.

Allegedly Allergic
Nov 3, 2002

Crazy Bus Person #3

Kavak posted:

What if we're the ones being trolled? What if the writers decide to throw out everything after A Storm of Swords and write something filmable instead? Eh, we'd get to see GRRM's probably fatal reaction so I guess it evens out.

You know, I'd be quite alright with that.

I'd even pay for the HBO special showing Gurm keeling over dead when Danyeris makes it over the ocean.

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp
I probably shouldn't have said what I did in the TV thread, but honestly it really bothers me in ways my 29 year old self has matured from. But for GRRM I get so irrationally angry. loving shitdick.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Kavak posted:

I was thinking just this. Either way the AFFC/ADWD season is gonna troll the gently caress out of someone, and it's going to be hilarious.

What I'm pulling for is that they actually have the balls to do the 5 year time skip or whatever it is.

quote:

I probably shouldn't have said what I did in the TV thread, but honestly it really bothers me in ways my 29 year old self has matured from. But for GRRM I get so irrationally angry. loving shitdick.

I thought it was entirely justifiable. Plus the reaction was worth it completely.

dentist toy box fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 22, 2013

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Bluedust posted:

What did you say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot

savinhill posted:

What did you say?

Bran becomes a tree
Rickon goes to cannibal island
Dany falls in love with a manwhore