Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I mean, bags of guaranteed money to finish the project is the main reason why games go to Epic. Not like, retire money, but not go bankrupt money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Paul.Power posted:

Yeah :sigh:, this is why the iridium rod and trap bobbers are such a game-changer. Slowing down the rate at which fish escape is huge.

Yea, even with the easier fishing, the really high level rare fish were a bitch to catch. If I put a crab pot in the river, does it have the same loot table as one in the ocean or a lake?

I like Graveyard Keeper, but there's a lot of grinding early on just to unlock a chunk of the tech tree. Plus the game is really obtuse in its quests. Do I need to complete the graveyard to +20 before I can unlock the ability to generate blue tech balls? I need to blue tech balls to unlock the stuff that will let me get it to +20. Also where the hell is the hill that i talk to the Inquisitor so Mort doesn't get banished?

I just found out about Portia, i'll have to stick it on my wishlist and give it a try later.

Just out of curiosity, what are the goon reviews of the different farms? As I said I took Hilltop, but I'm curious what like the Woods one is like, and such.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Blue orbs come from a bunch of places. Early on, study body parts and stuff. Check the beforeiplay page for useful info. http://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Graveyard_Keeper
Also making Stone Grave Fences, and Hemp Rope will get you some.

If you need to get the graveyard up to be let in then : Take lovely bodies out of the graves and dump them, repair the stuff. Take the blood and fat out of a fresh corpse, if it's then positive skulls go put it in a grave and put it's skulls worth of decorations on (take wasted decorations off lesser graves). It's it's negative rip everything off. For a while after it might be worth cremating corpses instead, though that's a lot of wood.

The hill is the path north on a screen between your place and the wheat field. At somepoint after advancing things it'll be open.

EDIT : Also at this point 9 hours left on the Humble Monthly with Portia if someone cares.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Dec 6, 2019

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of other farming games, what about Doraemon Story of Seasons? I'm far from done with stardew but I've been curious ever since I saw it pop up on steam.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

See I felt like the grind of graveyard keeper was the developer sticking it to me more than it was just the way to play the game. After getting a lot of early game stuff dealt with I simply gave up whereas in stardew valley everything's more straight forward and so simple that you don't need to read a wiki before you play and like sometimes ya just want to zone out instead of solving a puzzle that you don't have even the picture on the box to guide you.

frogge fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 6, 2019

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, even with the easier fishing, the really high level rare fish were a bitch to catch. If I put a crab pot in the river, does it have the same loot table as one in the ocean or a lake?

I like Graveyard Keeper, but there's a lot of grinding early on just to unlock a chunk of the tech tree. Plus the game is really obtuse in its quests. Do I need to complete the graveyard to +20 before I can unlock the ability to generate blue tech balls? I need to blue tech balls to unlock the stuff that will let me get it to +20. Also where the hell is the hill that i talk to the Inquisitor so Mort doesn't get banished?

I just found out about Portia, i'll have to stick it on my wishlist and give it a try later.

Just out of curiosity, what are the goon reviews of the different farms? As I said I took Hilltop, but I'm curious what like the Woods one is like, and such.

if you got that 1 dollar xbox game pass for windows portia is included in that

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Yeah, I'm not a preacher of Graveyard Keeper. It's an odd duck, and I am glad I took the advice of "Just look up alchemy" and wikidived a lot of stuff because yeah. Mostly remember while the day of the week matters, there's no timelimit to anything, and crops won't rot on the vine, etcetc. I guess bodies do decay, but you can always just cremate them.

EDIT : And meanwhile at somepoint I need to get back to Stardew, but I get weirdly anxious about am I doing well enough at the bundles. Oddly I don't really give a toss about earning money other than it's required for doing most other things? Though it'd be nice to be able to afford a kitchen and cook. Also probably behind on talking to people and making friends but that feels acceptable.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 6, 2019

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

frogge posted:

See I felt like the grind of graveyard keeper was the developer sticking it to me more than it was just the way to play the game.

Yeah, I didn't want to whine about it here since it's a dragging-down thing, but there's so many steps between the thing I want to do and actually doing it in GK. Plus, you're juggling all of that stuff with doing quests that are soft-time-limited (every main character is only up and about one day out of every seven), and the lack of storage space is really annoying for potion-making with a setup that encourages you hoarding everything at all times.

It's really a game that I wish I could get into as much as Stardew (especially since I'm practically done with Stardew in terms of stuff to do), but ugh.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

How long ago did you play Graveyard Keeper? I got it a month ago and loved it, it didn't feel grindy at all. But apparently there was a big patch several months after release that changed the game a bunch and gave you a lot more automation. And yeah, harvesting and processing all the resources without that sounds horrible.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I came back to it when the automation patch hit, but paradoxically I felt that it added to the amount of overhead for me. The same work I needed to have my corpses good are now things I needed to make good zombies.

(plus, I'm not entirely sure I can tell a zombie to schlep mined ore/coal from the ore mines to my house and not just have them dump stuff at the ruined cabin thing.)

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Freaksaus posted:

Speaking of other farming games, what about Doraemon Story of Seasons? I'm far from done with stardew but I've been curious ever since I saw it pop up on steam.

I'd wait for the Friends of Mineral Town remake (aka the best harvest moon ever). It's already out in Japan and China, but not yet in the West.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Looks like the remake is on the Switch only.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Forest farm best farm because you don't have to walk all the way to the secret woods for hardwood and mushrooms.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

twistedmentat posted:

Unless it changed in 1.4 there are only two loot tables for crab pots: Ocean, and Everywhere Else.

a7m2 posted:

I'd wait for the Friends of Mineral Town remake (aka the best harvest moon ever). It's already out in Japan and China, but not yet in the West.

Friends of Mineral Town is the single game that's the most like Stardew Valley (CA explicitly modeled Stardew after it, if I remember right from an interview years ago).

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Finally, there's a 1.4-compatible mod that allows you to use more than the fridge's space for your ingredients: Remote Fridge Storage

Also, if you're using Starblue Valley and NPC Map Locations, make sure you download the optional Starblue Valley minimaps for the latter

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

The Forest farm is nice because it has eight (8!) renewable hardwood stumps. It also has special weeds guaranteed to drop wild seeds and a couple forage spawn points. I really like the hilltop farm for the layout--I think you can make the most interesting farms out of it. The quarry is largely forgettable, but it ends up being a pretty good spot for a barn and coop. The big downside is what a pain it is to navigate until you get a copper axe and an iron pick.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Unless it changed in 1.4 there are only two loot tables for crab pots: Ocean, and Everywhere Else.

Friends of Mineral Town is the single game that's the most like Stardew Valley (CA explicitly modeled Stardew after it, if I remember right from an interview years ago).

I'm not surprised, it's clearly the best HM game and Stardew Valley is even better than it, though FoMT's sprites are something I miss in SV. I'm really looking forward to playing the remake of FoMT because the world and villagers are very charming and while SV is probably a better game, I've played it so loving much I can do with a change.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
And the River Farm is...not great.

Unwieldy to navigate (especially before you can remove stumps, fallen trees, big rocks), few choices where to put large buildings like barns, and ultimately pointless because you catch the exact same fish in any part of water so why does it matter if you have a bunch of water or just a small square of water?

I guess you could maybe put down like 1,500 crab pots but like, why

edit: It has probably my favorite starting home decor though.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 6, 2019

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

GotLag posted:

Finally, there's a 1.4-compatible mod that allows you to use more than the fridge's space for your ingredients: Remote Fridge Storage

Doesn't 1.4 already allow you to build more fridges? Robin sells them.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

Unwieldy to navigate (especially before you can remove stumps, fallen trees, big rocks), few choices where to put large buildings like barns, and ultimately pointless because you catch the exact same fish in any part of water so why does it matter if you have a bunch of water or just a small square of water?

I guess you could maybe put down like 1,500 crab pots but like, why

edit: It has probably my favorite starting home decor though.

It can be nice if aesthetics are the priority

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Saint Freak posted:

I went with the River Farm in my current game because the previous game I played always had me lagging behind with the fish community goals and yeah I am not having the greatest time with it with pretty much no benefit as far as catching fish is concerned anyway. I have space for crops and have a coop and barn now on the main patch of land but I'm not sure what I'll be doing with the other space. I think eventually I might just move my crops to the other smaller patches of land and leave the animals on the main one but I haven't gotten that far yet.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The river farm map has a better fishing table (the same as the town river) than the other farms. It also looks better. In exchange, it trades away a lot of space. This can be a blessing if you don’t want to deal with planting hundreds of crops and can’t make yourself not plant too much on the more open maps.

Hillside farm also looks nice and creates organic separations to plant different things in. The quarry slowly levels up to dropping better things and can be nice if you hate the combat in the game. It doesn’t provide anything like as much loot as you get from mine runs though.

The forest farm is the best farm for new players. The extra wild seeds and easy access to hardwood from the large tree stumps are very nice. It also has more berry bushes which helps a lot.

Four corners looks like it has a bit of everything. I haven’t tried it yet, but I expect that all the big walls will be pretty annoying in terms of hiding part of the plantable area permanently. It is primarily intended for multiplayer so everyone can have their own micro farm, but the sheer variety looks pretty cool for solo if you can handle the wall issue.

The original map is still the most profitable map because it lets you plant the most.

I really like the mod maps that give you ginormous farms. I never plant all of them, but it’s fun to have all the extra space to run around and explore. I would love to see something like that in the base game, or the option to buy more land somewhere. It would help the prettier maps compete with the original map too, by allowing players who want mega farms to still do so while having the nicer aesthetics of the newer maps.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

How's the new four corners map?

E: ^ answered before I even asked :v:

v I think they're good for foraging exp or something?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Why are wild seeds good? I've been throwing them away.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Moon Slayer posted:

They're free seeds. Good for money very early in the game

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Moon Slayer posted:

1) Free seeds mean plants that are 100% profit
2) Easy to find wild plants for the CC packages
3) Snacks?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
They also make Tea plants now.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

They also make Tea plants now.

Guess I'll stop binning them, thanks. Like a lot of people I started a new game for 1.4 and like my last few games I planted the spring ones but by Summer I've got so many other crops I don't want to add any more watering.

Unrelated discussion question; who's the best marriage candidate, and why is it Penny?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

This playthrough I'm trying to befriend people I didn't befriend before and it's interesting.

Still, gently caress Shane Jesus Christ what a wanker.

As an aside, did anybody buy one of those artifact boxes from the desert merchant? Are they worth the price of 5 omnigeodes?

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Son of Rodney posted:

As an aside, did anybody buy one of those artifact boxes from the desert merchant? Are they worth the price of 5 omnigeodes?
Once you complete your mineral collection they're super useful. Also good if you're missing an ancient seed when you open the desert as well.

Really they only have those two purposes but they do that well enough.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Zack Ater posted:

How's the new four corners map?

E: ^ answered before I even asked :v:

I'm very early on, but so far I really like it. It will make it really easy to compartmentalize parts of the farm - like I'll probably end up clearing out the top left quadrant and using it for all my animal stuff. I don't mind the walls myself. The little mini quarry is nice to start and it's not big enough to be in the way once quarries become useless.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Son of Rodney posted:

They're an alternative source for most artifacts, and can also contain treasure chests and golden pumpkins. Omni geodes are common as muck in the skull caverns so I'd say worth it if you're trying to fill out the artifact list.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Freaksaus posted:

I played the demo on Switch. It's a very pretty game (for this genre), it has a little more personality than most games of this genre because the player character is an actual character from the franchise so like in events he actually says things and does things instead of just standing there while other characters talk at him. The town's mayor is also vaguely antagonistic instead of being blandly supportive.

It also weirdly acknowledges and handwaves the forced child labor aspect of the plot, which is not a choice I would have made.

Anyway while the demo was nice it mostly made me wish I were playing Animal Crossing for some reason, and since at the time I hadn't finished My Time In Portia, or tried out Stardew 1.3, and knew that the Ugly Friends of Mineral Town Remake was coming, and that New Horizons was on the way, I didn't end up buying it.

Son of Rodney posted:

I got one from an enemy drop and got a dupe of something I'd already submitted, but since the new tailoring system can use artifacts and minerals and what have you I guess it wasn't a total loss.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 6, 2019

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Son of Rodney posted:

Still, gently caress Shane Jesus Christ what a wanker.

He's like Haley in that he does change into a chill, pleasant person if you raise his heart level high enough. Also, after you see Shane's 8-heart event there's a 1/4 chance (which can be increased through save-scumming) that any chicken you buy or hatch will be one of the fancy blues he breeds. The difference is only cosmetic, but they're easy to spot when they're free-ranging and they're soooo cute! :kimchi:

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 6, 2019

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I don't remember the default farm well enough since I just came back for 1.4 and the other farms weren't available last I played, but Four Corners seems a lot bigger than I remember the other farm being. It would make sense since it's meant for Multiplayer after all.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It’s Penny or Leah.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

New playthrough is in winter, the seeds in the Night Market don't seem to be discounted any more, or maybe I'm just badly remembering seed prices? Also they fixed the bug that let you get new coffee every 10 minutes lol.

Just started fishing ponds, haven't caught a legendary fish yet to try them in the ponds but a single sea cucumber turned into two so maybe they can be used there

The fishing help I like is the trap bobber that has the fish catch bar decrease slower when they are not on the green bar. I hate the hook as it causing the green bar to stick to the fish messes up the feel of how to press the buttons for the green bar to move, it's like relearning how to fish which isn't helpful when going after something rare.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Tenebrais posted:

How long ago did you play Graveyard Keeper? I got it a month ago and loved it, it didn't feel grindy at all. But apparently there was a big patch several months after release that changed the game a bunch and gave you a lot more automation. And yeah, harvesting and processing all the resources without that sounds horrible.

Last winter. I might check it out if it's been patched.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

twistedmentat posted:

There are two sets of things that can be caught with crab pots: one set for the beach, and one set for literally anywhere else.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Just started fishing ponds, haven't caught a legendary fish yet to try them in the ponds but a single sea cucumber turned into two so maybe they can be used there

No, unfortunately you can't put those particular fish in fish ponds. Any other non-unique fish seemingly can be, though I don't know yet if crab pot-exclusive "fish" like snails or lobster can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Moon Slayer posted:

Unrelated discussion question; who's the best marriage candidate, and why is it Penny?

Bogart posted:

It’s Penny or Leah.

I used to think Penny but now 100% Leah

Penny is sweet but she's more like a rescue puppy than an equal partner