Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I heard something about the writing for The Monster Baru Cormarant being finished, and I know Seth Dickinson posts here, so I was wondering if there's any hard info on when it'll be out? One of my non-goon friends really wants to know, she loving loved it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I heard something about the writing for The Monster Baru Cormarant being finished, and I know Seth Dickinson posts here, so I was wondering if there's any hard info on when it'll be out? One of my non-goon friends really wants to know, she loving loved it.

From three weeks ago:

General Battuta posted:

Baru 2 currently sucks and is way too long but I'll get it tamed :black101:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Thanks! I was about 1200 posts behind o. The thread so figured "gently caress it, I'll just ask"

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The ending's really good, I just need to tighten up the beginning and middle and amp up the amount of money involved (in the narrative, not my contract :v:)

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

General Battuta posted:

I just need to ... amp up the amount of money involved (in the narrative, not my contract :v:)

Why not both?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Jedit posted:

Which first book? There's two, three if you want to be super-pedantic.

Legend is the one I read. I really liked the idea of Druss actually being this legendary soldier that people thought wasn't even real because his feats were so exaggerated. Then you find out that he is actually an old guy with arthritis and severe depression he isn't as fun. I was hoping for a main character that is just overpowered from the start. It's still pretty and the plot is basically a huge siege battle.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Blastedhellscape posted:

I was tickled recently when I was reading Use of Weapons and came to a scene where the protagonist is in what’s essentially a near future society, and comes upon a group of tourists carrying what seem to be smart phones (the tourists have communications devices, and one person is using theirs to play a game while another person is listening to music). Seemed pretty prescient for a book written in the mid-eighties.

Of course the thing Banks got wrong was thinking that only half of the near future people would be carrying phones.

Well yeah, the other half have them implanted :v:

I think one of my favourite mispredictions along that line is "tape", from Cherryh's books -- when she originally wrote them, it clearly meant actual magnetic tape, but these days you can easily read it as slang from a society where "tape" rather than "disk" became the ubiquitous synonym for "data storage".

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Hey General Battuta, did you have any say it simply being called 'The Traitor' in some markets, or was that the publishers?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

General Battuta posted:

The ending's really good, I just need to tighten up the beginning and middle and amp up the amount of money involved (in the narrative, not my contract :v:)

Sweet!

Also, you wrote a female lead so well that my friend always says "she" or "her" when she's talking about the author, so, congrats?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

That's one of the things I love about reading old SF. Computers, data storage, and communications in particular seem to be common blind spots; we have superluminal drives, but the computer to operate them fills half the ship and use magnetic tape...

Another fun thing is that old SF authors were unafraid to hide their fetishes, and mother of god their fetishes got WEIRD.
Example:Cordwainer Smith aka Paul Myron Anthony Linebarger, whose favorite dinner party trick ant was chugging hydrochloric acid.

Cordwainer Smith loved cats. I mean he LOVED cats so much I think he bribed his veterinarian to not report him to the police.
Cats appeared in 3/4 of his scifi stories. Cats, cats saving the day, cat-human hybrids, cat aliens, cats being perfect interstellar meteor response systems, dudes failing in love with cat-computer interfaces, etc. Cordwainer Smith is probably the patron saint of furries.

Offtopic:
Just finished reading Alfred Bester's "The Deceivers", published @1981 and it was bad.
Not as lovely weird as Bester's computer connection or golem100, but the Deceiver's was poorly written, dated, racist, gaybashing and dumb.
There was a Mary Sue lead character, a all knowing narrator, a perfect shapeshifting love interest, a closeted gay villain that .... wasn't villainous.
The villain of the book was captured & mentally broken by being pegged by animatronic robots for six straight days in a kid friendly circus act broadcast to the entire solar system.

Alfred Bester cracked hard after his 3rd book, and morphed into proto-John Ringo. My advice for people interested in Alfred Bester is to read his first three books (Demolished Man, The Rat Race, The Stars My Destination) and pretend Bester either died after his 3rd book or Ludlum style ghostwriters took over.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Ulio posted:

Legend is the one I read. I really liked the idea of Druss actually being this legendary soldier that people thought wasn't even real because his feats were so exaggerated. Then you find out that he is actually an old guy with arthritis and severe depression he isn't as fun. I was hoping for a main character that is just overpowered from the start. It's still pretty and the plot is basically a huge siege battle.

he's still able to wipe out dozens of dudes in Legend, irrc

my impression was that he's still Druss, it's just that he used to be able to do Druss Things all day and all night, whereas now each Druss Thing requires some Icy Hots and a fistful of tylenol.

it's like how michael jordan can still ball real good (and periodically shows up at Bobcats practice to remind everybody of this) but is out of commission for a week afterward

ToxicFrog posted:

That's one of the things I love about reading old SF. Computers, data storage, and communications in particular seem to be common blind spots; we have superluminal drives, but the computer to operate them fills half the ship and use magnetic tape...

Asimov's punch-card space dreadnoughts in Foundation are great.

I once wanted to run a GURPS rpg campaign that would work on retro-tech like that.
Unfortunately I didn't want it quite enough to go through the...painstaking and not particularly enjoyable process of actually prepping and running GURPS.

Plus I don't know any irl people who have an interest in golden-age sci-fi, so whatever group of players I assembled would only have ended up deeply confused.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 25, 2017

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Another fun thing is that old SF authors were unafraid to hide their fetishes, and mother of god their fetishes got WEIRD.
Example:Cordwainer Smith aka Paul Myron Anthony Linebarger, whose favorite dinner party trick ant was chugging hydrochloric acid.

Cordwainer Smith loved cats. I mean he LOVED cats so much I think he bribed his veterinarian to not report him to the police.
Cats appeared in 3/4 of his scifi stories. Cats, cats saving the day, cat-human hybrids, cat aliens, cats being perfect interstellar meteor response systems, dudes failing in love with cat-computer interfaces, etc. Cordwainer Smith is probably the patron saint of furries.

Too obscure to be the patron saint of anything, but he was a damned good writer.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mllaneza posted:

Too obscure to be the patron saint of anything, but he was a damned good writer.

Agreed. I picked up a "Sci-fi Masterworks" copy of one of his story collections at the local used bookshop and it surprised me. I always appreciate coming across Golden Age authors that somehow flew under the radar despite clearly having talent and vision.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mdemone posted:

Agreed. I picked up a "Sci-fi Masterworks" copy of one of his story collections at the local used bookshop and it surprised me. I always appreciate coming across Golden Age authors that somehow flew under the radar despite clearly having talent and vision.

If you haven't, get the Science Fiction Hall of Fame anthologies, they're collections of the pre-Hugo authors that the SFWA felt deserved to be on a "best of" list. Great for finding niche authors like C.M. Kornbluth or Cordwainer Smith or Clifford D. Simak

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

mdemone posted:

SFF used to be extremely disposable so lots of people who read it have woeful blindspots and only read current bestsellers and books on those "10 best sci-fi novels ever!" clickbait lists.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Master Li looking swoll.

Took me a sec to remember exactly how that reference worked. :allears:

and there is a slight flaw in its character

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Captain_Person posted:

Hey General Battuta, did you have any say it simply being called 'The Traitor' in some markets, or was that the publishers?

Publishers.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Sweet!

Also, you wrote a female lead so well that my friend always says "she" or "her" when she's talking about the author, so, congrats?

Oh, that's awesome! I'm really glad to hear it.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you haven't, get the Science Fiction Hall of Fame anthologies, they're collections of the pre-Hugo authors that the SFWA felt deserved to be on a "best of" list. Great for finding niche authors like C.M. Kornbluth or Cordwainer Smith or Clifford D. Simak

There's also the Golden Age megapacks, each of which is a collection of work from a particular author. Good mix of famous names and people who've fallen into obscurity.
Though unfortunately they are not ~curated like an anthology would be.

they're like one dollar, easy to load up your kindle with a couple.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 25, 2017

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Megapacks are good, SFWA Masterwork collections are good too.
Some classic pulp authors are readable, others are unreadable, and you are never sure which category a given author will fail into from story to story.
My advice for reading Cordwainer Smith is to take extended breaks after each story. Otherwise Cordwainer Smith's cat-fixation fetish is really apparent and offputting.
Definitely try to track down non-Star Trek James Blish stories, Blish managed to coin themes & phrases that are still being used in science & scifi to this day.

One of the the best ways to sample old pulp scifi authors is to search your local public library systems for old Hugo award book collections.
Theodore Sturgeon curated Russian sci-fi authors are pretty good, if Sturgeon did a Introduction to the English editions, the stories are readable.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

General Battuta posted:

and amp up the amount of money involved

trash your silver for gold, easy fix

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

:catstare:

How does this work

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

ToxicFrog posted:

:catstare:

How does this work

It works in an awesome way. Read Cordwainer Smith and find out.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Cordwainer Smith is great. I read his collected short stories straight through on a long weekend of airports and air travel a few years ago and the cat thing isn't THAT bad. I have norstrilia sitting on a shelf waiting for a good time to binge.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

PupsOfWar posted:

he's still able to wipe out dozens of dudes in Legend, irrc

my impression was that he's still Druss, it's just that he used to be able to do Druss Things all day and all night, whereas now each Druss Thing requires some Icy Hots and a fistful of tylenol.

This is basically it. Druss at sixty is still very much a warrior, but he knows he's past his prime and is trading on his reputation. But that doesn't change who he is; he convinces himself that he's gone there to die, but the truth is that he went because he was needed.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Here's a hot tip for The Traitor Baru Cormorant re-readers (only a minor spoiler if you've never read it, I think):

Pay pretty close attention to the bar scene with the actress. She is more than she appears to be. I have previously confirmed this with General Battuta on Twitter.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

McCoy Pauley posted:

It works in an awesome way. Read Cordwainer Smith and find out.
Specifically, The Game of Rat and Dragon, available on Gutenberg.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

andrew smash posted:

Cordwainer Smith is great. I read his collected short stories straight through on a long weekend of airports and air travel a few years ago and the cat thing isn't THAT bad. I have norstrilia sitting on a shelf waiting for a good time to binge.

Norstrilia is where the cat loving fetish becomes overt.
I made the mistake of reading Norstrilla first, THEN the Best of Cordwainer Smith collection.
Save your Norstrilia readthrough for another long weekend of air travel jetlag.

In a desperate effort to avoid talking more about that guy.....
Karl Capek's "War with the Newts" is definitely worth tracking down.
It goes from funny to dark quickly. Finding a paperback copy for $1 is one of my greatest used bookstore scifi finds.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Grimson posted:

Here's a hot tip for The Traitor Baru Cormorant re-readers (only a minor spoiler if you've never read it, I think):

Pay pretty close attention to the bar scene with the actress. She is more than she appears to be. I have previously confirmed this with General Battuta on Twitter.

if this is the scene I'm thinking of, isn't it pretty obvious this is the case?

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Just finished reading Alfred Bester's "The Deceivers", published @1981 and it was bad.
Not as lovely weird as Bester's computer connection or golem100, but the Deceiver's was poorly written, dated, racist, gaybashing and dumb.
There was a Mary Sue lead character, a all knowing narrator, a perfect shapeshifting love interest, a closeted gay villain that .... wasn't villainous.
The villain of the book was captured & mentally broken by being pegged by animatronic robots for six straight days in a kid friendly circus act broadcast to the entire solar system.

Alfred Bester cracked hard after his 3rd book, and morphed into proto-John Ringo. My advice for people interested in Alfred Bester is to read his first three books (Demolished Man, The Rat Race, The Stars My Destination) and pretend Bester either died after his 3rd book or Ludlum style ghostwriters took over.

This is so disappointing. I still have his later books on my to-read pile and :smith:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I'd even caution against buying The Stars My Destination. It's got some really cool ideas hidden demonic facial tattoo that shows when excited, just about everyone can teleport, and the opening sequence when Foyle is marooned is truly harrowing, but... I really feel like the book was hurt by being such an "homage" of a better story (The Count Of Monte Cristo). It really took me out of it when those elements started to show themselves.That story's been retold and copied enough.

I still liked the writing enough that I at least want to check out The Demolished Man.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Stars my Destination is a pretty solid book with some troubling bits.
It definitely rips off Count of Monte Cristo, given that Stars My Destination was published in 1956/57, I am willing to forgive the homage.
For something written in the past 20 years(age of the internet) that rips off Monte Cristo, I am way less forgiving.
I enjoyed it's self-teleportation gimmick, and guess where Neal Stephenson ripped off the "everything is a incorporated franchise" from Snow Crash...that would be Stars my Destination.

Demolished Man is strong. and definitely deserved to win the 1st ever Hugo award.

Stuporstar posted:

This is so disappointing. I still have his later books on my to-read pile and :smith:

Bester's later books have fragments of interesting ideas floating in sky galaxies of stupidity.
Nobody ever replicated Bester's tricks with type-setting to demonstrate sensory input or in-the-moment actions.
Because it's a massive pain in the rear end to get right.
That style of type setting would be amazing for action writing in modern day scifi.
Here's a half -assed homage to that style
code:
L
   a
      s       
   b    e     a   m
           r
                     impact
striking  his  skull.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Neal Stephenson sucks

Nobody ever replicated Bester's tricks with type-setting to demonstrate sensory input or in-the-moment actions.
Because it's a massive pain in the rear end to get right.
That style of type setting would be amazing for action writing in modern day scifi.
Here's a half -assed homage to that style
code:
L
   a
      s       
   b    e     a   m
           r
                     impact
striking  his  skull.

Michael Moorcock did it in the Jerry Cornelius novels. Pretty sure he said he got the idea from Bester.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I vaguely remember the Jerry Cornelius series.
Always pictured Jerry as a thinly novelized adventures of David Bowie constantly morphing into different album cover looks.

Moorcock books got weird and focused on recreating 1940's radio serials the last time I read something recent by Moorcock.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Alfred Bester also invented bullet time.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Stars My Destination was so far ahead of its time we still haven't entirely caught up to it, but you can tell it was basically a lifetime's worth of ideas in a single book. It doesn't matter that he didn't write much else after that; he didn't need to. He invented cyberpunk fifty years ahead of schedule.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Stars My Destination was so far ahead of its time we still haven't entirely caught up to it, but you can tell it was basically a lifetime's worth of ideas in a single book. It doesn't matter that he didn't write much else after that; he didn't need to. He invented cyberpunk fifty years ahead of schedule.

Give it time. One of these days, we'll Bester.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

There's so many throwaway scenes in it that could be entire stories on their own - the ward full of sickness-fetishists, the Cellar-Christians - oh poo poo, does the bloke who's on the drug that makes him think he's a python mean Bester's also the Father of Furries?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lord of Light by Roger Zelzany is some good stuff.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

Stars My Destination is one of those books it feels like you've already read because of how heavily it influenced writers in the 60 years since it was written. It's still really good though, the ending in particular. It was funny catching references to it in the next 2 or 3 random sci-fi books I read as well.

ugh its Troika posted:

Lord of Light by Roger Zelzany is some good stuff.

Agreed. Most of the old Hugo award winners are still really good with a few exceptions ("They'd Rather Be Right" being the most glaring.) http://www.sfadb.com/Hugo_Awards_Winners_By_Year was my go-to reading list for a long time and it rarely disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Doorknob Slobber posted:

if this is the scene I'm thinking of, isn't it pretty obvious this is the case?

I dunno, apparently no one had ever mentioned or brought it up before when I asked him on Twitter.