Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

tylertfb posted:

Is there a studio furniture / setup thread in here? I am moving into a new place that will have a detached garage (for the bikes / tools) and studio (for the ~synth zone~) building in the back yard that I have been given domain over. I am excited to setup the studio furniture from scratch. I plan on transferring over my standard Ikea DJ booth (2 x 4 Kallax on it's side + legs to get it to proper height) but am totally free to build / buy the desk / rack for my hardware gear setup. The center of my setup is the MC-707, and I've got a 61 key controller keyboard and a handful of other outboard kit (couple of td3's, electribeS, fx boxes). Should I put it all on one flat surface? Make some kind of tiered setup? standing desk or sitting desk?

My friend gave me a butcher block-style countertop from his kitchen island and I mounted it on this frame from Ikea. The tabletop required some drilling and threaded inserts, but it was a poo poo ton cheaper than a CUSTOM STUDIO DESKTOP! I'm probably going to mount the TV on the wall and add a drawer for the keyboard and mouse... eventually... :effort:

edit: the turntable and (you can see the mic) MicroKorg are on a keyboard stand with a 2-tier adapter.

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

JamesKPolk posted:

IME mouser (digikey, etc...) is much better at getting the right things in the packages than whoever is re-packing them into kits. Just sayin', maybe it's time to BOM it up yourself?

Resistors are fairly easy to kludge across package sizes ime, just bend the legs so they fit. Might stick out weird above the board but especially lined up I have much better luck doing that than similar things with say caps. That being said, Mouser looks pretty stocked rn (Yageo and Vishay are two I've used happily before, I have a vague memory of prefering Yageo, but it shouldn't really matter at all):

https://www.mouser.com/c/passive-co...n%20style=Axial

I think thats the package size befaco uses unless a lot of stuff has changed (but you should be able to confirm w/ the schematic, these are 1/4 watt resistors)

They use 0.4 watt resistors that are 3.7mm long.

https://www.tme.eu/en/details/m0.4w-100k/0-4w-metal-film-tht-resistors/royal-ohm/mff04ff1003a50/

I sent Modular Addict an email, see what they say. Hopefully they don’t just tell me to contact Befaco in Spain.

I basically BOM’d my own rebuild of the Rings kit I blew up. I had to order from Mouser, Digi-key, Thonk, and Amazing Synth (the last two both in the U.K.) to get everything together. I like the Befaco kits, because everything’s been right there, except for one missing ceramic capacitor in my Hex Mix VCA kit, which I was able to get rather quickly in an assorted bunch of capacitors on Amazon.

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
A few weeks ago I taunted Murphy and his terrible Laws by posting about all the abuse I put my Soundcraft mixer through and how it's been nothing but reliable. Apparently, Murphy is a goon and read that post because Saturday night out of nowhere it starting doing a rhythmic clipping "pop" and disconnected from my PC (I use it as my primary audio interface). I thought it was a wayward kickdrum at first but once I disconnected everything except the USB it was still going on. It would go away once I unplugged the USB and the individual non-USB channels seemed to work fine, I could get it to pass through audio from my hardware synths.

After some quick googling, $0.20 worth of capacitors, a couple day's wait, and possibly the worse soldering job I've ever done in my life, it's back up and going. Turns out that it's not an isolated problem for the Soundcraft Signature series and there are two caps that are prone to conking out. They looked fine and weren't bulging or anything. Also, if anyone is using that link as a reference, they keep referring to the wrong numerics for the location of the caps in question, but the picture in the thread with the arrows is correct, or at least those were the ones I replaced to get it to start working again.

Just wanted to throw it out there as a PSA that even if you don't know much about electronics, get yourself a soldering iron and some practice kits because that poo poo can save your rear end (when it's not busy costing you megabux in Eurorack DIY kits). It was a relatively easy repair other than whatever solder they used needing a ton of heat to loosen up and my inexperience making it kind of an ordeal to get the old solder off the board.

Kind of funny, I'm just a few weeks away from ordering another mixer anyway (a 1010 Bluebox, thanks to whoever goon suggested that). I'd still need the Soundcraft but I was going to put the Bluebox to work as part of my portable rig and also to handle some eurorack chores and free up my Zlob VCA for other things like envelopes

nominal fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 15, 2022

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

They use 0.4 watt resistors that are 3.7mm long.

whoops, try this instead:

https://www.mouser.com/c/passive-components/resistors/?power%20rating=400%20mW&resistance=100%20kOhms&termination%20style=Axial

e: not all of these are that but 4 out of the first 5 I clicked were 3.6-3.7 x 1.9, one listed itself as a 400 mW in a 1/8W package so maybe thats whats up. Seems to be the more common configuration though

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
If people want a good synth album, the most recent King Gizzard album, Butterfly 3000, is quite the synth album

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
Seconding that, it's very good.

I also really like the synth work in Polygondwanaland, although that album is more of a dreamy prog trip than what I'd really call a "synth album". Still, it's loving great.

I'm not even really a big "guitar band" sort of dude but I really dig pretty much everything King Gizzard puts out. I think it's because they do such a good job of switching up their sound from album to album.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

tylertfb posted:

Is there a studio furniture / setup thread in here? I am moving into a new place that will have a detached garage (for the bikes / tools) and studio (for the ~synth zone~) building in the back yard that I have been given domain over. I am excited to setup the studio furniture from scratch. I plan on transferring over my standard Ikea DJ booth (2 x 4 Kallax on it's side + legs to get it to proper height) but am totally free to build / buy the desk / rack for my hardware gear setup. The center of my setup is the MC-707, and I've got a 61 key controller keyboard and a handful of other outboard kit (couple of td3's, electribeS, fx boxes). Should I put it all on one flat surface? Make some kind of tiered setup? standing desk or sitting desk?

I use the Elfa organizer racks from the Container Store. The angled shoe racks are absolutely perfect for keyboards.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 15, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

https://youtu.be/0w6DVa5niRw

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Modular Addict is shipping out some resistors and another PCB.

In the meantime, I made scraping and clanging metal sounds with Rings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqs4H1H7VIY

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

man, what if this is the universe's way of telling you it doesn't want you building synths? like, if so don't get too bummed out. there are other options

https://www.cbgitty.com/

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I figured out after a couple decades all I really want is a complex osc and a frequency shifter. :yaycloud:

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Startyde posted:

I figured out after a couple decades all I really want is a complex osc and a frequency shifter. :yaycloud:

swap the shifter for up/down slew gen and you're describing my dream system

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

all you need is two sine wave oscillators with exponential FM, a multi mode filter and some envelopes and vcas. there’s no need for any other synth than a donk

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

You cats n kitties got me thinking about setting up a desk in my new place. I scavenged this, and now thinking about how to bolt some rack rails to it. Appears to have been a TV stand at one point and had shelves but not when I found it. Imagining this on top of a desk with a few pieces of rackmount hardware and a rackmount computer maybe:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
A few bolts here, some welding there,

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Yeah, would not take much to get some ordinary rack rails on there.

Of course it may still wind up at Habitat. But it's solid as hell. And I have a television I use for a monitor that will fit pretty good.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Are there any cool, ingenious uses for a Fostex MR-8?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Idk about ingenious but you could try using it as an instrument by patching a monitor channel back in and using onboard fx

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

A MIRACLE posted:

Idk about ingenious but you could try using it as an instrument by patching a monitor channel back in and using onboard fx

I'm seeing that. It has MIDI out too, not sure what you can do w/ it. Well, thank you, Goodwill, for listing it as a Foster Mr-8. Hope it works.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

petit choux posted:

I'm seeing that. It has MIDI out too, not sure what you can do w/ it. Well, thank you, Goodwill, for listing it as a Foster Mr-8. Hope it works.

I’m gonna try it out with my yamaha mg soon

I assume midi out is transport. My digital tascam sent cc data for the faders so maybe that too

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
I made some drone/noise driven ambient music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvgp0aRmx1Y

The piece started from a two module eurorack jam. I played with feedback loops and a little bit of self-patching on Mimeophon and used FX Aid for some lofi reverb. Mimeophon is pretty nice for no-input stuff! It's very easy to control the timbre with the color pot and the zones can be used to create smaller or larger rhythmic pulses and loops. I edited some 30 minutes of material down to the final 16 minutes here and played some VST synths over them on a few parts to provide some harmony to contrast against the dissonant drones.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Working on the Befaco Joystick kit. I sure don't like this PCB.

The big empty part is where the joystick sits, but that thin little strip of PCB on the right feels very flimsy. Hope I don't break it!

j.peeba posted:

The piece started from a two module eurorack jam. I played with feedback loops and a little bit of self-patching on Mimeophon and used FX Aid for some lofi reverb. Mimeophon is pretty nice for no-input stuff! It's very easy to control the timbre with the color pot and the zones can be used to create smaller or larger rhythmic pulses and loops. I edited some 30 minutes of material down to the final 16 minutes here and played some VST synths over them on a few parts to provide some harmony to contrast against the dissonant drones.

I'm digging this, thank you for posting!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I somehow made the Strega into a techno monster and now that Make Noise has updated their site I can share the patch with others because it's fun. I'm probably not the first one to put it together but I'm glad they have patch sheets now.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

net work error posted:

I somehow made the Strega into a techno monster and now that Make Noise has updated their site I can share the patch with others because it's fun. I'm probably not the first one to put it together but I'm glad they have patch sheets now.

Please :justpost: the patch sheet and sound demo!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

j.peeba posted:

Wow, like it. Also great video. Really stark but well-composed, goes perfectly with the music. I would like to suggest one with desaturation instead of monochrome, but that's my personal fetish. Make more. Please let us know when you do.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I may have to try something with cassettes sometime just because of what you lot have been posting. I have a vague recollection from the 80s about splicing tapes so they'd run through 2 (or more) heads though, and all the resulting noisy poo poo you could do with that. But I've got enough projects to finish RN already. It's just really tempting because I was really infatuated with the whole DIY thing way back when.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 20, 2022

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

petit choux posted:

Wow, like it. Also great video. Really stark but well-composed, goes perfectly with the music. I would like to suggest one with desaturation instead of monochrome, but that's my personal fetish. Make more. Please let us know when you do.

Cool, thanks! I went total monochrome since the video is composed of stock footage from various creators (from artgrid.io). That way I didn’t have to worry about making the colors of the clips work together. I guess a desaturated look with some color grading could also do the trick too though. I’ll experiment with it for the next video.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

j.peeba posted:

Cool, thanks! I went total monochrome since the video is composed of stock footage from various creators (from artgrid.io). That way I didn’t have to worry about making the colors of the clips work together. I guess a desaturated look with some color grading could also do the trick too though. I’ll experiment with it for the next video.

Well like I said it's a personal fetish. In any case I liked it all.

In other news, I'm coming to like that PSS-A50 more and more. Using it as a controller for a QY1000, putting that through a Boss flanger and a TC stereo delay, it generated some awesome textures and stuff last night. Though I have to admit that by the end of the evening I turned it all off and listened to the sounds of traffic, throbbing bass from the nightclub nearby, and the spring peepers who are out in force, and it all came together and sounded the most beautiful of all.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Sup thread, looking for advice:

I got into synthesizers over COVID when I spent part of my stimulus check on a moog mother-32, and I fuckin love it. I’ve added on to it a bit but I’m thinking of buying a new synth that’s less of an ongoing project and more something I can take places and jam with friends on. I’m kind of torn between getting either a moog matriarch or a sub phatty/subsequent 25: the phatty/25 is smaller and I really love the bassy sound, and the price is extremely agreeable, but the matriarch sounds great, the keyboard feels amazing, and it seems like it has a lot more room for experimentation. I can get the matriarch on financing but I can buy a phatty or 25 right now with the cash in hand, and I’m honestly not sure which way I should go right now.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Get a Music Easel. Best of both worlds (patchable and portable) and a different, maybe even more classic sound palette.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

At the other end of the price range for patchable&portable, there's the volca modular.
From my limited understanding, it would be tough to make a bad buy from a lot of Moog's current offerings, but they're well outside of my budget, and I don't really know one from another, apart from the Subharmonicon and DFAM.

FWIW, I don't have any training, and very little experience or practice with any instrument, but I love the touchplate keys on the Arturia Microfreak.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 20, 2022

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Please :justpost: the patch sheet and sound demo!

Adjust the speed knob of the Agitation Generator to set your kick drum tempo. Adjust the Action CV Attenuator to set the "thump. Have fun with the tonic and tone knobs to get a good rhythm or pair with a 0-ctrl for even more control.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Sup thread, looking for advice:

I got into synthesizers over COVID when I spent part of my stimulus check on a moog mother-32, and I fuckin love it. I’ve added on to it a bit but I’m thinking of buying a new synth that’s less of an ongoing project and more something I can take places and jam with friends on. I’m kind of torn between getting either a moog matriarch or a sub phatty/subsequent 25: the phatty/25 is smaller and I really love the bassy sound, and the price is extremely agreeable, but the matriarch sounds great, the keyboard feels amazing, and it seems like it has a lot more room for experimentation. I can get the matriarch on financing but I can buy a phatty or 25 right now with the cash in hand, and I’m honestly not sure which way I should go right now.

you already have a subharmonicon right?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I'm big into video synthesizers, and I just stumbled upon a bunch of manufactures I didn't know about today. I figure I'll do a dump half for myself so I can find these later. Note that there are even more available in DIY form, as well as legacy hardware from the '80s and '90s people pick up and make use of. I'm mostly focused on video synthesizers that you can just start using as soon as they arrive, no DIY.

The three I have so far

https://www.critterandguitari.com/eyesy
Critter & Guitari makes the Eyesy, I have one of these and it's pretty nifty. The main downsides are the lack of video input and the non-Eurorack format. You can write your own video effects via Python, I believe the framework here is pygame.

https://sleepycircuits.com/hypno
The Sleepy Hypno gives some cool effects. The downsides to this are the finicky power situation if you're running it off USB instead of in a Eurorack setup. The HDMI out on the side is probably a pain if you're running it in a Eurorack. The Hypno can do video out via USB, HDMI, or Composite which is great. It only takes video in via the front USB port which is less great, especially because that's the same port for USB video input, giving you less choice there. It would be nice to have composite input, as well, so you could more easily chain this with other devices.

https://teenage.engineering/products/op-z
The OP-Z can do some video effects. It's done via the connected software on an iOS or Android device, but can be controlled via the OP-Z. No video input, video out has to come from your phone, so it's not very flexible, but it does have the really cool licensed Street Fighter and Mega Man video packs. You can also write your own video paks via C# with Unity.

The ones I've heard of and have been on my list, but don't have yet

https://lzxindustries.net/
LZX is one of the big ones most people know, but they got hit hard by supply chain issues and most of their stuff is pretty hard to get ahold of right now, I have nothing from them. The Chromagnon is looking to be the next big flagship product from LZX but it's been stuck in production for 2 or 3 years, and the price has more than doubled. Their back catalog includes the Vidiot, a stand alone video synthesizer, and a lot of Eurorack modules.

https://www.analoguehaven.com/specialstagesystems/worldcore/
Special Stage Systems World Core. The manufacturer doesn't even list this on their own page anymore. I don't think it's very compatible with LZX products, and it seems pretty pricy for how limited in functionality it is compared to other video synths. I was tempted early on when I didn't know of a lot of available video synthesizers, but now I'm much less so. The Control Core is still tempting, it lets you use an NES controller as input for Eurorack https://www.analoguehaven.com/specialstagesystems/controlcore/

The ones that are new to me today

https://www.lofifuture.com/storefac96ab8/
LoFi Future has a lot of video synthesizers available. The one that jumped out at me was the AudioViz, which has composite video in and out, and line audio input. Stand alone, not Eurorack. Seems pretty decent for the price compared to a few other synths, this might be on the top of my list for what to get next. LoFi Future also has a circuit bent PS2 which seems pretty unique, I haven't seen that before.

https://glitchart.com/shop/fluxus-duo/
Fluxus Duo is Eurorack format, takes composite input and outputs composite. It's two of the same processor with the ability to blend between.

https://www.mezkalin.com/
Mezkalin glitch video gear seems to be mostly modifications of other video hardware to add additional functionality. Nothing is Eurorack. Seems like a good way to get into the older hardware pre-modded with additional effects.

https://syntonie.fr/
Syntonie has a lot of Eurorack modules, but it looks like they're mostly meant to work with LZX modules.

https://catfullofghosts.xyz/Products.html
Cat Full of Ghosts looks like they might carry a Eurorack module at some point, they ran a Kickstarter recently that might start shipping soon.

https://erogenous-tones.com/modules/structure/
Erogenous Tones's Structure is a Eurorack module, that lets you write your own visualizers using GLSL.

https://www.afterlifelaboratories.com/
Afterlife Laboratories has multiple modules in Eurorack format. Similar to Syntonie, these seem meant to work with LZX. Yet more reason why I want a good base setup of LZX modules so I can expand into other manufactuers.

https://www.reverselandfill.org/category/eurorack-video/
Same as a few others, these are in LZX format.

https://www.jonesvideo.com/prod_mvip.html
A standalone, Eurorack module. I might do some deeper research into this one later. If it will play nice with LZX style modules it could be a good starting point while LZX stuff is unavailable.

https://pushkarbrand.com/devices/
Another hacked piece of old hardware, a bit pricier than anything else so this wouldn't make my short list of things to look farther into.

Software based solutions

There's a bunch of software focused video synthesizers. I haven't dove too deep here because I prefer hardware.

https://synesthesia.live/
Synesthesia looks interesting, if I were getting another software video synth I would probably check it out next.

https://www.imaginando.pt/products/vs-visual-synthesizer
I picked up Imaginando's VS last year. I like a lot of the effects you can get out of it, but I don't like how much of a hassle it is to virtually try and send audio to it. It does output NDI so it's easy to capture in OBS.

Bonus section, lasers!

I found a few modules built to drive lasers while researching. I don't have any form of a laser setup, but these were cool.

https://1010music.com/product/laserbox-pattern-generator-for-lasers
https://www.neoncaptain.com/#/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dumb eurorack question (technically vcv but the answer should be the same): how to quantize arbitrary signals? Like I got a patch coming from a noise generator that makes some cool bleeps. No modules in this patch have an Oct/v on them and I got the idea to modulate the pitch.

I can sort of do it by feeding the signal through Rings but it takes over the sound.

I also figured I could do it by putting the noise and the quantized signal through a "sum" module but that generates no changes at all.

This seems like it should be a pretty simple operation but I'm kinda stuck and google isn't finding me any solutions.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

xzzy posted:

Dumb eurorack question (technically vcv but the answer should be the same): how to quantize arbitrary signals? Like I got a patch coming from a noise generator that makes some cool bleeps. No modules in this patch have an Oct/v on them and I got the idea to modulate the pitch.

I can sort of do it by feeding the signal through Rings but it takes over the sound.

I also figured I could do it by putting the noise and the quantized signal through a "sum" module but that generates no changes at all.

This seems like it should be a pretty simple operation but I'm kinda stuck and google isn't finding me any solutions.

What do you mean quantize?

First thing that comes to mind is.... a quantizer. Noise -> quantizer (maybe w/ a S+H if you want to hold the pitch but some quantizers will let you trigger when they're sampling) will get you a random musical voltage. But this seems obvious (it's in the name) so I'm wondering if you meant something else?

Noise-> S+H will get you steady voltages but not necessarily to a scale.

Changing the pitch you can do a bunch of ways - scale w/ a VCA/attenuator, offset, etc. Don Buchla did a nice little module that got cloned a ton in every format thats just a calibratable offset, a bipolar VCA, and a slew, that lets you do basically everything you want with musical control voltages (other than stepping through scale tones)

Not really sure I follow the noise gen / sum patch but if you scale things right I feel like that should work? I've done similar things, but like a lot of the time the scalable range is like 5v and you're dealing with 10-12v noise signals so I mean you're kinda capped.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

JamesKPolk posted:

What do you mean quantize?

Turns out I'm just a colossal idiot, what I actually wanted was pitch shifting.

But it took me stepping through your post to figure that out so I guess you still helped. :v:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Ok Comboomer posted:

you already have a subharmonicon right?

It’s definitely on the list, but it’s not the specific sort of instrument I’m looking for at this moment.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

xzzy posted:

Turns out I'm just a colossal idiot, what I actually wanted was pitch shifting.

But it took me stepping through your post to figure that out so I guess you still helped. :v:

Ahhhh and guessing that any voltage->pitch is off the table? Pitch/frequency shifters do this to an audio signal, as do samplers (but w/ more time domain restrictions) and delays.

I don't know the patches off the top of my head but MW says Clouds (should be in vcv) and Mimeophone can do real time pitch raising. And then there's the Moog/Haible frequency shifter but idk how available that is. But it technically exists. I did this with an Octatrack (total overkill but any phrase sampler gets there) and a 303 line once but didn't love the results, the main thing was the shifted stuff was a bar later than the input so any tweaks I did were weirdly offset on the original and cloned ones.

https://technoliches.bandcamp.com/track/moment-devil-mix
Here's one of those tracks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Okay, I shouldn't have but I did:

How easy would it be to use this baby with audio hardware? It has a vcg in and if I'm understanding the manual correctly, it requires 0-5V DC. Isn't that what a lot of eurorack gear uses as control voltage? The guy that sold it to me said he actually enjoyed hooking its output to an audio device and listening to the variety of sounds it can make. I mean if you look at what's on the front panel I think you can see why I'd get excited. I'm just hoping there's an easy way to use it as a tone generator.

Here's some sales copy about it:

quote:

The Wavetek 164 Sweep Generator is extremely versatile, it's a function generator with full trigger and gate capability as well as a sweep generator with internal sweep and step sweep. It's easy to see that covering the frequency range of 30µHz to 30MHz will satisfy many of your generator requirements. Outputs include sine, square, triangle, ±square, ±trapezoid, ramp and stair step waveforms. For pulse applications, duty cycle, rise and fall times and DC offset levels are all independently variable. Single cycles or bursts of cycles can be produced by an external signal or manually by the front-panel switch. Output to 10 V p-p into 50-ohms for the sine, square, triangle and trapezoid.

I've got a feeling that I picked a good piece of gear to try using for audio. Any thoughts?