Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hoiyes
May 17, 2007
If they operate as I think they will, Seismic torps are gonna be a good rebel counterplay to tie Swarms, as you can put it on a cheap torpedo platform like a B and you can get the shot off without fear of being focussed down first.

Soontir is immortal, he's survived in metas with much harder counters. And depending on who rolls the dice for damage, palp may make him immune to them.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
A friend and I just got some huge ships to play with. I have the Tantive IV and he has the assault carrier. Any tips for fielding/outfitting Huge ships?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Otisburg posted:

I am glad to see the outcome of that match.

I hope that the potential for an activation phase attack meta (between Quickdraw and the rumored effect of Seismic Torps) doesn't completely kill Soontir. I still enjoy flying him.

He can still stack tokens and change 3 blanks to evades. Soontir would be fine even if people decided to spend 40+ points to counter him

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Travic posted:

A friend and I just got some huge ships to play with. I have the Tantive IV and he has the assault carrier. Any tips for fielding/outfitting Huge ships?

You really get the most out of your Epic ships by making them unkillable. They will do more for you by soaking up enemy fire than by dealing out damage themselves. Take a Tantive with a set-up like this and just focus on staying alive while your starfighters pick off the enemy.

CR90 Corvette (Fore) (50)
WED-15 Repair Droid (2)
Quad Laser Cannons (6)
Engineering Team (4)
Tibanna Gas Supplies (4)
Optimized Generators (5)
Jaina's Light (2)

CR90 Corvette (Aft) (40)
Shield Technician (1)
Backup Shield Generator (3)

Total: 117

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Cobbsprite posted:

You really get the most out of your Epic ships by making them unkillable. They will do more for you by soaking up enemy fire than by dealing out damage themselves. Take a Tantive with a set-up like this and just focus on staying alive while your starfighters pick off the enemy.

WED-15 Repair Droid (2)
Quad Laser Cannons (6)
Engineering Team (4)
Tibanna Gas Supplies (4)
Optimized Generators (5)
Jaina's Light (2)

CR90 Corvette (Aft) (40)
Shield Technician (1)

That's a lot of points for something that might do 2-3 damage a turn. You could have 5 TLTs for that price which would soak more damage and put out more damage.

I'm of the complete opposite thinking, load up for maximum long range offense, take Roark to shoot at ps12 and just roll a truckload of dice. It's Epic man ... broadside batteries, Fire for effect!

CR90 Corvette: CR90 Corvette (Fore) (85)
Optimized Generators (5)
•Han Solo (2)
Single Turbolasers (8)
Single Turbolasers (8)
Gunnery Team (4)
Sensor Team (4)
Tibanna Gas Supplies (4)

CR90 Corvette: CR90 Corvette (Aft) (59)
Weapons Engineer (3)
Single Turbolasers (8)
Engineering Team (4)
Tibanna Gas Supplies (4)

Total: 144/200

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 21, 2016

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Cobbsprite posted:

WED-15 Repair Droid (2)
Quad Laser Cannons (6)
Engineering Team (4)
Tibanna Gas Supplies (4)
Optimized Generators (5)
Jaina's Light (2)

CR90 Corvette (Aft) (40)
Shield Technician (1)

Well that's kind of disappointing. I was hoping they'd be juggernauts. Very powerful ships dealing and taking lots of damage. Oh well.

One thing I was unsure about was if upgrades counted for the entire ship. For example if a Shield Extender was on the Fore Section. It requires energy to work so could it pull from the aft section? Or putting Automated Protocols on the Fore section. Would that allow me to Target Lock then Reinforce with the Fore section then Recover with the aft section?

Also I've seen conflicting rules on range 3-5. One place said 3-5 is just one extra green. Another said its 1 for Range 3, 2 for Range 5 and 3 for Range 6.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Travic posted:

Well that's kind of disappointing. I was hoping they'd be juggernauts. Very powerful ships dealing and taking lots of damage. Oh well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbfBjo-Mw6U

Sorry dude. Epic ships in X-wing are pretty much the equivalent of EVE titans. The frigates are more like destroyers in the star wars pacific theater of WW2 combat. Unfortunately, the cruiser ships that deal with fighters much better are too large for X-wing's scale.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Upgrades work for the entire ship not just the section (not sure if you can take one Limited item per ship or per section, but it's probably only one per ship).

It was initially more dice past range 3, but it made epic ships kinda trash, so it was FAQd. Only one extra green dice at ranges 3-5.

Epic needs to be played in a beers and xwing frame of mind because the most competitive Epic ship is not using one.

hoiyes fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 21, 2016

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Travic posted:

One thing I was unsure about was if upgrades counted for the entire ship. For example if a Shield Extender was on the Fore Section. It requires energy to work so could it pull from the aft section? Or putting Automated Protocols on the Fore section. Would that allow me to Target Lock then Reinforce with the Fore section then Recover with the aft section?

Also I've seen conflicting rules on range 3-5. One place said 3-5 is just one extra green. Another said its 1 for Range 3, 2 for Range 5 and 3 for Range 6.

The range thing was changed in in a rules update. Now all ranges beyond Range 2 are one bonus green die.

Yes, upgrades on one part of the ship are applied to all of it. But it's worth noting that weapon hardpoints draw from their OWN energy reserves, which has to be granted to them from the main hull first. It's complicated.

One thing that makes Epic ships really tanky (for me) is the Reinforce action. You shove either your nose or your engines at the enemy so they have to target that section, then reinforce it. You automatically mitigate one damage PER ENEMY ATTACK. That's huge. Then you take a small forward move and get max energy, plus an energy for Engineering Team, plus throw one energy onto Quad Laser Cannons so your Optimized Generators give you TWO back. First action Reinforces where you want them to shoot, second action Recovers everything they shot up in the previous round. If you feel like you aren't doing enough damage with that setup, add another set of Quads and a Weapons Team to increase your damage output. If you didn't have to spend your energy regenning shields last turn, go ahead and throw your energy into shooting this turn. Rush in close and try to run over enemy ships. It's a big, juicy target, so most other players will try to bash it in for the massive payout of taking it out.

I played with a dude that ran a Raider pimped out for damage, with my regen-CR. He pounded and pounded it, while I gobbled up his fighters. Victory: Me.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

alg posted:

He can still stack tokens and change 3 blanks to evades. Soontir would be fine even if people decided to spend 40+ points to counter him

If they work in the action phase, he will have zero tokens. That's what people are talking about with Quickdraw being a potential Soontir (or any PS 9 ace really) killer. Move into range one, PtL into baffles to trigger an attack with 4 dice, and TL + Focus. At most Soontir gets Palp, assuming they have him. It's like you managed to force Soontir to bump, without needing to.

It'll be really good against any Imperial aces, and stop pretty solid even against Rebel or Scum ones, just less likely to one shot them. But, of course, it also can only be done a fairly limited number of times, so.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Soontir is still good but I can see Inquisitor rising even higher in everyone's estimations after wave 9. Black One will put Omega Leader down a peg too.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

The Gate posted:

If they work in the action phase, he will have zero tokens. That's what people are talking about with Quickdraw being a potential Soontir (or any PS 9 ace really) killer. Move into range one, PtL into baffles to trigger an attack with 4 dice, and TL + Focus. At most Soontir gets Palp, assuming they have him. It's like you managed to force Soontir to bump, without needing to.

It'll be really good against any Imperial aces, and stop pretty solid even against Rebel or Scum ones, just less likely to one shot them. But, of course, it also can only be done a fairly limited number of times, so.

Ah yeah for Quickdraw, assuming they have initiative that's true. Seismic torps would have to go on someone PS9 or higher, which is basically... Poe.

It's really about time Soontir had something that could possibly deal with him that isn't some horrible gimmick anyway.

Edit: also its insane that dude can churn out 3 attacks a turn and gives up nothing for it. Dang

alg fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 21, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Someone posted this as a neat teaching diagram for new players. I suggested that he include other common action descriptions as well, so maybe we'll see v2 with focus/evade on it.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I've never flown Imperial anything, and was thinking about putting together a Ryad + Inquisitor + ??? list to mess around with. What are the go-to builds for Ryad and Inqy? And who would you pair them with?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Start here:

Countess Ryad (34)
Push the Limit (3)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)
TIE/x7 (-2)

The Inquisitor (25)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
TIE/v1 (1)

Total: 67

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Gerdalti posted:

I've never flown Imperial anything, and was thinking about putting together a Ryad + Inquisitor + ??? list to mess around with. What are the go-to builds for Ryad and Inqy? And who would you pair them with?

Quiz: Push the Limit, title, Autothrusters (31 points) (add prockets if you have 3 points left)
Ryad: Jury's still out, but lot of people are loving PTL + Twin Ion Engines + x7 title.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

hoiyes posted:

Epic needs to be played in a beers and xwing frame of mind because the most competitive Epic ship is not using one.

That's solely how I play X-Wing so that should work out.

Yeah the range thing didn't make much sense when I read it. Glad to see its a bit more lenient.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Gerdalti posted:

My list that you played against was

Inquisitor
PTL, v1, Autothrusters, Prockets

Ryad
x7, Juke, stealth device

Omega Leader
Juke, Comm relay, stealth device

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
One of our local stores has just announced they get Imperial Veterans on Thursday, hoping I can pick one up.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

alg posted:

Seismic torps would have to go on someone PS9 or higher, which is basically... Poe.

Seismic torps are (probably) fired as an action, so lower PS is better, under 4 is best to catch a tie swarm before it can get out of dodge.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

wow. I zoned out

You're right, that would be amazing. A great fix for X-wings

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Assuming that seismic torps aren't some weird other thing.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

alg posted:

wow. I zoned out

You're right, that would be amazing. A great fix for X-wings

It would also make some sense as the U-boat counter if your stripping tokens like that for the opening pass.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My love affair with Guri continues.

Guri
Lone wolf
Autothrusters

4Lom
VI
Adv sensors
Outlaw tech
Inertial Dampeners

Palob
Juke
TLT
Cloaking device
Stygium particle accelerator

Total: 100

Juke on a HWK, lol

The trick here is decloaking the HWK to block 4Lom's red maneuver. Then he advanced sensors a TL, red moves for the outlaw tech focus, stresses, beats the brakes off of whatever he's facing, then passes the stress on to someone else.

Irom fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 22, 2016

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
After finally opening Steam (for the first time in a week, because Origins), I now have all the results for week 5. I'll be posting the standings down below the new pairings.

SAX WING TTS LEAGUE WEEK 7:

POOL ONE:
The Gate versus Major Isoor
Langolas versus Deviant

POOL TWO:
Brunas versus Spiggy
Talas versus General Battuta
ro5s versus siggy2021

POOL THREE:
Finster Dexter versus Admiral Joeslop
Chemmy versus ZenMastaT
Aramoro versus canyonero

WILD KARRDE GAME:
Gerdalti versus overdesigned

CROSS-POOL GAME:
Herux versus Strobe

STANDINGS AS OF WEEK 5

1. Strobe, 25, 902 MOV
2. overdesigned, 25, 851 MOV

3. Talas, 20, 791 MOV

4. ZenMastaT, 18, 582 MOV

5. ro5s, 15, 653 MOV
6. The Gate, 15, 584 MOV
7. Chemmy, 15, 571 MOV
8. Brunas, 15, 534 MOV
9. Spiggy, 15, 525 MOV
10. ConfusedUs, 15, 515 MOV
11. Deviant, 15, 507 MOV
12. Herux, 15, 434 MOV

13. General Battuta, 10, 627 MOV (holy poo poo Battuta you messed the poo poo out of my MOV table with this one, in fifth place overall despite being 2-3)
14. Major Isoor, 10, 495 MOV
15. canyonero, 10, 480 MOV
16. Langolas, 10, 426 MOV
17. Gerdalti, 10, 385 MOV

18. Admiral Joeslop, 5, 311 MOV
19. Finster Dexter, 5, 283 MOV
20. Aramoro, 5, 208 MOV

21. siggy2021, 0, 94 MOV

CURRENT POOL LEADERS:
Pool One: overdesigned, 25, 851 MOV
Pool Two: Talas, 20, 791 MOV
Pool Three: Strobe, 25, 902 MOV

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Do I have a bye?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

ConfusedUs posted:

Do I have a bye?

Yes, unless De Rol Le stabilizes his internet out of the ether.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Strobe posted:

After finally opening Steam (for the first time in a week, because Origins), I now have all the results for week 5. I'll be posting the standings down below the new pairings.

SAX WING TTS LEAGUE WEEK 7:

POOL ONE:
The Gate versus Major Isoor
Langolas versus Deviant

POOL TWO:
Brunas versus Spiggy
Talas versus General Battuta
ro5s versus siggy2021

POOL THREE:
Finster Dexter versus Admiral Joeslop
Chemmy versus ZenMastaT
Aramoro versus canyonero

WILD KARRDE GAME:
Gerdalti versus overdesigned

CROSS-POOL GAME:
Herux versus Strobe

STANDINGS AS OF WEEK 5

1. Strobe, 25, 902 MOV
2. overdesigned, 25, 851 MOV

3. Talas, 20, 791 MOV

4. ZenMastaT, 18, 582 MOV

5. ro5s, 15, 653 MOV
6. The Gate, 15, 584 MOV
7. Chemmy, 15, 571 MOV
8. Brunas, 15, 534 MOV
9. Spiggy, 15, 525 MOV
10. ConfusedUs, 15, 515 MOV
11. Deviant, 15, 507 MOV
12. Herux, 15, 434 MOV

13. General Battuta, 10, 627 MOV (holy poo poo Battuta you messed the poo poo out of my MOV table with this one, in fifth place overall despite being 2-3)
14. Major Isoor, 10, 495 MOV
15. canyonero, 10, 480 MOV
16. Langolas, 10, 426 MOV
17. Gerdalti, 10, 385 MOV

18. Admiral Joeslop, 5, 311 MOV
19. Finster Dexter, 5, 283 MOV
20. Aramoro, 5, 208 MOV

21. siggy2021, 0, 94 MOV

CURRENT POOL LEADERS:
Pool One: overdesigned, 25, 851 MOV
Pool Two: Talas, 20, 791 MOV
Pool Three: Strobe, 25, 902 MOV

PMed you on steam Strobe, think you missed the PM for one of my matches but I dont know which one.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That's complete up through Week 5. There are a few missing games from Week 6 (including one of mine) that haven't been reported yet. I have both of yours, I just didn't want to post a 'staggered' standings because it would mean less than nothing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
If you had a Mangler Cannon and an Accuracy Corrector on the same ship, could you use the Corrector to get 2 hits and then use the Mangler effect to change one to a crit?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Improbable Lobster posted:

If you had a Mangler Cannon and an Accuracy Corrector on the same ship, could you use the Corrector to get 2 hits and then use the Mangler effect to change one to a crit?

”When attacking, during the "Modify Attack Dice" step, you may cancel all of your dice results. Then, you may add 2 results to your roll.

Your dice cannot be modified again during this attack.”

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Improbable Lobster posted:

"Your dice cannot be modified again during this attack."

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Thanks, I guess I'm pretty tired and missed that

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Hmm, strobe is winning the league he is running. I call fix!

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Dear FFG,

Strobe OP. Please fix.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

General Battuta I'm free for the rest of the day if you want to get our league game in, message me on Steam or leave a message here.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

He's also spent the last week "at a con" and so we haven't been able to do our game. Something smells like poodoo.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

ro5s posted:

General Battuta I'm free for the rest of the day if you want to get our league game in, message me on Steam or leave a message here.

Oh poo poo, right! Okay. Is 9:00 your time too late? If so I could go for 8:00 your time?

My MOV is so high because I keep losing games by just one or two HP :(

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

General Battuta posted:

Oh poo poo, right! Okay. Is 9:00 your time too late? If so I could go for 8:00 your time?

My MOV is so high because I keep losing games by just one or two HP :(

9 is fine for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herux
Dec 1, 2013
Strobe leave me a message on steam with when you want to play!

• Locked thread