Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
Oh good, everyone's already talking about mms.

I've got a Sony Xperia M4, just upgraded to 6.0.1, although I had this problem before I upgraded. I'm in Canada on Wind Mobile.

A few months ago I dropped my phone and broke the screen, and took it to a cheap repair shop (big mistake). He managed to basically break everything one piece at a time as he fixed the last fuckup. Long story short, he replaced the motherboard with one that was locked to another carrier, and then unlocked it.

I've copied the APN settings for data and mms from wind's website, but it makes me choose which one I'm on, and if I select data, then I can't send mms, and if I select mms, then I can't use data. I'm using textra (and I got the same result with chomp, and the stock messenger), and I've manually set the apn from the settings menu. But no matter the app settings, if I try to text a picture, it says sending for about an hour, then fails.

I've compared it to my wife's (identical, wind-provided) phone, and on her APN menu, data is always selected, and mms is present but no option to select it. On mine it seems I have to pick one, and I'd rather not have to go through a bunch of menus each time I want to send a picture.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Have you tried FTPing pictures to your friends? That's really a more appropriate way to send files. It even says it in the name. File Transfer Protocol.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

So my Nexus 5 finally poo poo the bed. I think the radio burned out? Everything works but phone calls (including sms). I tried rolling everything back to stock, wiping and reloading, etc and I've still got nothing. Since it's a Nexus I also hit it against the desk for good measure. :shrug:

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear em!

Anyhow, this would put me in the market for a new phone. I want the same form factor as the Nexus 5 and I'm on cricket and in the bay area (I prefer unlocked phones. ) Outside of those details, I just want something built well and reliable (something the nexus wasn't delivering on these past couple months).

Any suggestions?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

El Mero Mero posted:

So my Nexus 5 finally poo poo the bed. I think the radio burned out? Everything works but phone calls (including sms). I tried rolling everything back to stock, wiping and reloading, etc and I've still got nothing. Since it's a Nexus I also hit it against the desk for good measure. :shrug:

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear em!

Anyhow, this would put me in the market for a new phone. I want the same form factor as the Nexus 5 and I'm on cricket and in the bay area (I prefer unlocked phones. ) Outside of those details, I just want something built well and reliable (something the nexus wasn't delivering on these past couple months).

Any suggestions?

Nexus 5x

codo27 posted:

Seriously though, some more reasons why Samsung sucks? Whats on the horizon that can topple the S7 besides the S8? Same story as always for me, 5.2" is the absolute max size I'd consider, if no SD card slot I want 64gb onboard at least, and most important of all, gotta have a great camera. How much difference does OIS make really?

Topple? Really?

Sorry you're such a sperg that you require microsd and cannot deal with slightly larger phones. You can't see it coming, but you'll get Samsunged

SB35 fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 24, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I had to visit the T-Mobile store through circumstance just the other day and due to the store having just opened for the day and there being only the manager and a trainee on her first day there, I had about an hour to wait while they assisted other customers. This afforded me ample time to play with all of Samsung's offerings (except the Note 7) for an extended amount of time which I was kind of excited to do because I'd never done so and have continually heard here how much better Touchwiz is now.

:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

If this is better I can't imagine worse. At least these weren't preset to the Choco Kooky font (the natural endstate of Samsung devices in the wild) but good christ the multiple app stores, multiple apps all preinstalled that do the same thing--basically all of the stuff made fun of in the thread all there on display.

Knowing of course the way this goes here the natural response would be "But you only have to set this up once, then you're done :rolleyes: " so I ignored that the $700 device would be poo poo up and unusable out of the box and tried to imagine all of that taken care of. There was still no excusing the useless and ugly notification shade, the ridiculous amount of feature spam (Turn on this retarded feature!), and just the over the top way that they seem to think that having the use configure a bunch of poo poo is a way to seem "premium" as opposed to things just working without the user having to think about it.

The look and feel of the OS just screamed trying too hard, which makes sense given their target demographic. It's like they want to be a Bentley but they are Honda with Type-R stickers. It's just embarrassing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Counterpoint: My Note 7 loving rules

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

I had to visit the T-Mobile store through circumstance just the other day and due to the store having just opened for the day and there being only the manager and a trainee on her first day there, I had about an hour to wait while they assisted other customers. This afforded me ample time to play with all of Samsung's offerings (except the Note 7) for an extended amount of time which I was kind of excited to do because I'd never done so and have continually heard here how much better Touchwiz is now.

:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

If this is better I can't imagine worse. At least these weren't preset to the Choco Kooky font (the natural endstate of Samsung devices in the wild) but good christ the multiple app stores, multiple apps all preinstalled that do the same thing--basically all of the stuff made fun of in the thread all there on display.

Knowing of course the way this goes here the natural response would be "But you only have to set this up once, then you're done :rolleyes: " so I ignored that the $700 device would be poo poo up and unusable out of the box and tried to imagine all of that taken care of. There was still no excusing the useless and ugly notification shade, the ridiculous amount of feature spam (Turn on this retarded feature!), and just the over the top way that they seem to think that having the use configure a bunch of poo poo is a way to seem "premium" as opposed to things just working without the user having to think about it.

The look and feel of the OS just screamed trying too hard, which makes sense given their target demographic. It's like they want to be a Bentley but they are Honda with Type-R stickers. It's just embarrassing.

Not that you and I are ever gonna change each other's opinion, but you never mentioned what exactly makes the phones "poo poo up and unusable out of the box."

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm pretty sure he did you know

DYP was definitely the best thread title, no question

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

Not that you and I are ever gonna change each other's opinion, but you never mentioned what exactly makes the phones "poo poo up and unusable out of the box."

LastInLine posted:

multiple app stores, multiple apps all preinstalled that do the same thing

LastInLine posted:

the useless and ugly notification shade, the ridiculous amount of feature spam (Turn on this retarded feature!)
[/quote]

If you have to disable an app because there are multiple apps preinstalled which handle the same task, that's a poo poo user experience. I should note that I didn't mention Samsung tropes we all know and love like disabling Google contact sync.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Counterpoint: My Note 7 loving rules

Lots of people like their riced out Civics. Most seem proud of them.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I don't find the notification shade ugly, I'm not bothered by the features, I easily turned off most of the built-in apps I don't want and will never be bothered by them again, etc. Why are you so angry about phones that other people like? Take a deep breath, it'll be okay.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't find the notification shade ugly, I'm not bothered by the features, I easily turned off most of the built-in apps I don't want and will never be bothered by them again, etc. Why are you so angry about phones that other people like? Take a deep breath, it'll be okay.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

"defend your purchase"

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

RZA Encryption posted:

"Here's my number, but if you want to send me any PICTURES *wink* *wink*, please download this chat app and send them to user xXxNiGhTlYdRiVeRxXx"
:goonsay:

WhatsApp uses your phone number.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Uthor posted:

I just upload my high res photos to Dropbox or OneDrive and SMS/Facebook Message/email out a link. Everyone can figure out what to do with them after that.

Dear Dropbox, please maintain a fork of messenger which automatically and seamlessly uploads media to a public folder and puts a link in the message when you want to send a multimedia message.

Actually, scratch that. Dear Google Android, please write an API which allows applications like Dropbox, Onedrive or Google Drive to register themselves as public hosting providers with the android device and then build this functionality as an option into messenger itself, using your default public hosting provider if you have one installed (preferably with link expiry options and whatnot) (and asking if you want to shrink large photos)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 24, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

My point is exactly this. If you can't tell what it is about this that is annoying to people who don't like Samsungs, then you're unqualified to call it "better". You're completely blind to exactly the things that Touchwiz haters hate. Honestly I'm okay with that.

I really wanted to like the Samsungs out currently and went into it with the idea that maybe I'd get one this cycle (almost solely out of wanting to continue to have Qi charging). I tried out the devices wanting to like them and all they had to do was not talk me out of buying one. All I'd heard about in here was how much better Touchwiz had gotten and could so many people be wrong?

I only wrote that in case others were in my boat, thinking "Hey, maybe Samsung learned what it was that turned off some people in the past!" They certainly didn't.

I don't doubt that at least now the devices are functional (not always true of past Samsung devices), but the primary reasons I hold them in low esteem are still evident in spades and they're all purely aesthetic and user experience-based. It illustrates just how much what I want in a device is at odds with Samsung as a company.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Aug 24, 2016

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Maker Of Shoes posted:

/spends 30 minutes fine tuning 8 meg picture in picture editing app
/mangles the poo poo out of it by letting MMS compress it to 500k
This was the point I was making, not that SMS is bad or that things made in the 80s are bad or that whatever else people decided to declare.

RZA Encryption posted:

Even better solution: using the Google Photos app lets you share it as a link to the high quality version. Then you could send that link over sms or whatever. It works really well.
This is a great solution.

MMD3 posted:

realistically though 90% of the time the recipient won't need a giant file. I'm alright with some compression at some point, I just don't want to have to do it manually and don't want it to result in images with horrible artifacting
Google Photos will compress files to 16MP by default (and I've never been able to tell the difference for regular phone photos) so this would probably be ideal for your usecase.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
So my LG G4 crashed and is forever stuck at the LG splash screen, which after a quick google search seems to be a known problem and that the only way to fix it is to take it in for repair. It's basically hosed right?

I also bought it overseas from http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com.au/ and was Chinese (the charger they included just had a universal adaptor strapped to the side). Would that be covered under warranty in Australia? I bought it about 12 months ago

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

screaden posted:

So my LG G4 crashed and is forever stuck at the LG splash screen, which after a quick google search seems to be a known problem and that the only way to fix it is to take it in for repair. It's basically hosed right?

I also bought it overseas from http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com.au/ and was Chinese (the charger they included just had a universal adaptor strapped to the side). Would that be covered under warranty in Australia? I bought it about 12 months ago

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

lol cremnob's first good post

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

screaden posted:

If the company is based in Australia, then regardless of where and how they import their goods, then you're entitled to a repair or replacement under consumer law if the defect isn't caused by what's considered 'natural wear and tear' or damage caused by improper use of the device. So long as you weren't loving with the device to get it into that state, then it should be warrantable. Note that there is a difference between 'is perfectly covered by warranty' and 'actually getting anything done by a dropshipping company'. It'd still be worth getting in contact with them but I wouldn't call it a safe bet.

Speaking of Chinese phones, Xiaomi is rolling out the new MIUI version to a lot of its devices this week. A lot of people complain that it's too iOS but I feel like it strikes a good balance and I haven't had any major dramas outside learning the 'quirks' of where it decides to put things sometimes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

lol cremnob's first good post

Nah, ones where he gets banned/probated are all good, too.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Lowen SoDium posted:

The Android Thread: The phone is a tiny pile of little disappointments and irritations, like my son.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

LastInLine posted:

My point is exactly this. If you can't tell what it is about this that is annoying to people who don't like Samsungs, then you're unqualified to call it "better". You're completely blind to exactly the things that Touchwiz haters hate. Honestly I'm okay with that.

I really wanted to like the Samsungs out currently and went into it with the idea that maybe I'd get one this cycle (almost solely out of wanting to continue to have Qi charging). I tried out the devices wanting to like them and all they had to do was not talk me out of buying one. All I'd heard about in here was how much better Touchwiz had gotten and could so many people be wrong?

I only wrote that in case others were in my boat, thinking "Hey, maybe Samsung learned what it was that turned off some people in the past!" They certainly didn't.

I don't doubt that at least now the devices are functional (not always true of past Samsung devices), but the primary reasons I hold them in low esteem are still evident in spades and they're all purely aesthetic and user experience-based. It illustrates just how much what I want in a device is at odds with Samsung as a company.

I think a lot of people are so used to goofball commodity fetishism of the console warrior/ android vs apple type you see elsewhere that it doesn't occur to them that the string of laffos meant "wow, they totally misunderstood what I hate most about TouchWiz" rather than "you're all literally morons of you like this."

But seriously, I don't know how Samsung manages to engineer software to not only start off ugly, but go so completely to poo poo over time. I'm getting tired enough of providing IT support for my parents' S5s I'm considering buying them nexuses.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My biggest issue with Samsung and Galaxy devices is that Samsung STILL kowtows to the carriers. They are big enough and have a large enough marketshare to say that they are producing one unbranded device that's exactly the same for all carriers and to shove off when they start requesting changes. But they don't. They cave on every bloatware app and every customization request.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They get paid to include that and money is more important than UX.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So Nougat has now added an option under Do Not Disturb to supress "visual disturbances" when the screen is off (so, no pulse light and ambient display). I turn this on because I don't want those features lighting up the room when a notification comes through, but it seems like turning this on just turns off the pulse light/screen entirely. Like, it continues to not light the screen or LED even long after DND time has ended. This is on a 5x. Anyone else using that feature and finding this to be the case?

Also, yo Google: For Christ's sake, please make it so that I can have my Messenger notifications show the sender name but not the message. The sender's name is NOT "sensitive content".

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

CLAM DOWN posted:

MMS is widely used here and pretty much the only choice when my friends have iPhones and all they use is iMessage which clearly is not available on Android.

I was eager to point out the solution, but with 61 new posts in the thread unfortunately others already did it:

RZA Encryption posted:

Even better solution: using the Google Photos app lets you share it as a link to the high quality version. Then you could send that link over sms or whatever. It works really well.

However, I wanted to address this:

MikeJF posted:

Dear Dropbox, please maintain a fork of messenger which automatically and seamlessly uploads media to a public folder and puts a link in the message when you want to send a multimedia message.

Actually, scratch that. Dear Google Android, please write an API which allows applications like Dropbox, Onedrive or Google Drive to register themselves as public hosting providers with the android device and then build this functionality as an option into messenger itself, using your default public hosting provider if you have one installed (preferably with link expiry options and whatnot) (and asking if you want to shrink large photos)

If you let Google Photos automatically back up your photos this is all streamlined a lot better than you'd think.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Luchadork posted:

Also, yo Google: For Christ's sake, please make it so that I can have my Messenger notifications show the sender name but not the message. The sender's name is NOT "sensitive content".
It is if it's your mistress texting you...

Google has to default to lowest common denominator.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You deserve to be caught if you use texts while cheating.

I mean, you deserve to be caught, anyway, but doubly so if you're that dumb about it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

If you let Google Photos automatically back up your photos this is all streamlined a lot better than you'd think.

Android: don't swim against the current

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Isn't that the truth.

Like...I get that to some people the appeal of Android is it's "openness" or whatever, but if you want things to work as smoothly as possible stop trying to complicate it with all your own bespoke apps and methods.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I think a lot of people are so used to goofball commodity fetishism of the console warrior/ android vs apple type you see elsewhere that it doesn't occur to them that the string of laffos meant "wow, they totally misunderstood what I hate most about TouchWiz" rather than "you're all literally morons of you like this."

Yeah, that was my bad. I don't think anyone is a moron for liking them but I do think anyone who does really doesn't mind tacky.

bull3964 posted:

My biggest issue with Samsung and Galaxy devices is that Samsung STILL kowtows to the carriers. They are big enough and have a large enough marketshare to say that they are producing one unbranded device that's exactly the same for all carriers and to shove off when they start requesting changes. But they don't. They cave on every bloatware app and every customization request.

What Endless Mike said is correct but that's really what I meant when I said Samsung obviously isn't a company I can support. Not only do they let the carriers poo poo up their devices, they poo poo up their devices. They have to have Google services on their devices due to requirements for Play Store compatibility and yet they insist on trying do half of the poo poo themselves. The reason is purely to cargo cult Apple by attempting to be everything for the user regardless if the users would be better suited by just directing them to the Google service that they're required to have.

Of course half of that is in case they wanted to leave the ecosystem (which would be suicide at this point) and the other half is hubris in thinking that they can do services better than Google. The truth is that they want to be Apple (control the whole stack! Make the chips/screens/hardware/OS/apps! Sell them all in their own stores!) but they can't do the software or the ecosystem on their own so they're constantly attempting to subvert it. The truth is obvious though, they need Google and they need Google's ecosystem and the thing is, Google needs them too! Samsung more or less is Android and the users would benefit if Samsung would actually work within reality rather than the delusion that they're somehow doing anything special or unique.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
hey man the wheel doesnt re-invent itself

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Endless Mike posted:

You deserve to be caught if you use texts while cheating.

I mean, you deserve to be caught, anyway, but doubly so if you're that dumb about it.

As a corollary to this, what's the best phone for cheating? Some dual-SIM Chinese thing?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yo dogg I heard you got Boost Mobile!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

You're being extremely disingenuous and ignorant by taking such an aggressively black and white approach. As a matter of fact, I do completely understand why people hate Touchwiz. I (and others) am just apparently not bothered by it anymore to even remotely the same degree that you seem to be. I actually used to dislike it too, I avoided Samsung phones solely based on that (I had the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus, because they didn't have Touchwiz). It's objectively true that it's gotten quite a bit better over the years, the Note 7 iteration is pretty drat good, and improved to the point it's not even called Touchwiz anymore, Grace UX or something.

Just because someone doesn't hate the same thing as you to an equivalent degree, doesn't mean they're "blind" or "unqualified". It's subjectivity.

LastInLine posted:

Yeah, that was my bad. I don't think anyone is a moron for liking them but I do think anyone who does really doesn't mind tacky.

I fail to see how their interface is "tacky" at all. Do you want screenshots from the new Note 7 iteration? It's different from even the S7/S7 Edge.

LastInLine posted:

The truth is obvious though, they need Google and they need Google's ecosystem and the thing is, Google needs them too! Samsung more or less is Android and the users would benefit if Samsung would actually work within reality rather than the delusion that they're somehow doing anything special or unique.

You're completely correct about Google and Samsung needing each other, that's why they seem to be working pretty close, with everything from Google helping Samsung optimize their interface, to Android N flatout grabbing Touchwiz features and making them a part of stock. I disagree that they are delusional though, they are clearly making a product that people want and they are massively successful as a result (like you said, to the point where Samsung is Android).

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

WeAreTheRomans posted:

As a corollary to this, what's the best phone for cheating? Some dual-SIM Chinese thing?

I am the other man and they all use sms on their regular phones and just delete the conversations when we finish talking

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Blackphone?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackphone

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Seems like owning that would raise its own questions

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
She'll block you when she's with her boyfriend then unblock when she's free, because you caught feelings and want to text her :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I fail to see how their interface is "tacky" at all. Do you want screenshots from the new Note 7 iteration? It's different from even the S7/S7 Edge.

"Actually Samsung is great, their interfaces aren't even consistent within the same generation!"