Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone

U-DO Burger posted:

The anime was alright at times but there was never a moment when it surpassed the manga, so there's just no good reason to waste your time subjecting yourself to it

WRONG

If you don't watch any other episodes, watch 309 ffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The best part of the anime was the G-8 arc.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Why is everyone posting terrible anime poo poo

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Daeno posted:

WRONG

JET GATLING RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA is probably still my #1 favorite scene in the anime. I still go back to it every so often.

Lpzie posted:

Why is everyone posting terrible anime poo poo

Welcome to ADTRW!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

binks' sake is objectively better in the anime. also it's extrem ely sad.............

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

DizzyBum posted:

JET GATLING RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA is probably still my #1 favorite scene in the anime. I still go back to it every so often.

There's that and I wanna live

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Enies Lobby is peak OP anime.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DizzyBum posted:

I'm a dub-liker, but that moment's legit better in English for the record, it's so good

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Arist posted:

I'm a dub-liker, but that moment's legit better in English for the record, it's so good

As a fellow dub-liker, :agreed:

e:

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Enies Lobby is peak anime

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Dr Subterfuge posted:

docking 6 is peak anime.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

oddium posted:

binks' sake is objectively better in the anime. also it's extrem ely sad.............

Honestly the only real reasons to watch the anime anymore are for the voice acting and music. Otherwise the manga pretty much surpasses it in every aspect. I did kind of like some of the early filler arcs like G8 though and having the Fakehats be voiced by the main cast only switched around (Sanji was Luffy, Chopper was Nami, etc.) was kind of a nice touch. Speaking of which, did they do that in the dub version as well?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 11, 2018

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Honestly even as someone that prefers anime over manga, I just gave up on the One Piece anime after the mess that was the Dressrosa Arc. I don't think the anime's pacing has ever been worse than at that point.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I only ever read the manga because the thought of catching up on a show with 800 episodes made me ill

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Daeno posted:

WRONG

Not to mention all of early One Piece right up until about When the crew gets separated is pretty decent, with the early arcs of East Blue to Water 7 being outright good in the anime. I mean if you don't get super hype when Luffy winds up for Gum Gum Storm on Crocodile and then New World Symphony starts playing, are you really a One Piece fan??

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Manga only, but do at least listen to Franky’s voice from the anime. He was literally created with the VA in mind.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Millions posted:

Manga only, but do at least listen to Franky’s voice from the anime. He was literally created with the VA in mind.

So was Luffy if I remember right, or at the very least Oda personally selected her for the part (he's voiced by the same woman who plays Krillin in Dragon Ball). On the same note, Chopper is Pikachu (Ikue Otani).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 11, 2018

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Larryb posted:

So was Luffy if I remember right, or at the very least Oda personally selected her for the part (he's voiced by the same woman who plays Krillin in Dragon Ball). On the same note, Chopper is Pikachu (Ikue Otani).

This was fun to realize for the first time when I started watching Dragon Ball Super.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Asuron posted:

Not to mention all of early One Piece right up until about When the crew gets separated is pretty decent, with the early arcs of East Blue to Water 7 being outright good in the anime. I mean if you don't get super hype when Luffy winds up for Gum Gum Storm on Crocodile and then New World Symphony starts playing, are you really a One Piece fan??

my introduction to One Piece came from my friend who made me watch the anime all the way to the end of the Alabasta arc. I thought it was okay, but it's just slow, and filled to the brim with lazy animation and boring filler. Definitely not worth the time invested. Then I picked up the manga a year or two later and my opinion changed completely and it was suddenly a very good series. One Piece just isn't as good when its animated.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Some cracking openings though, be sure to watch those.

Also is it Friday yet, this was a bad, bad cliffhanger to leave us on a two week break with.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
Read Up until right before the Little Garden Arc, then watch from that up until the start of Impel Down, then pick back up the story in manga form.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

TheLoneStar posted:

Honestly even as someone that prefers anime over manga, I just gave up on the One Piece anime after the mess that was the Dressrosa Arc. I don't think the anime's pacing has ever been worse than at that point.

Surprise, it managed to get worse in the Totland arc.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i didn't watch impel down but it seems p sick

https://i.imgur.com/srkUOdq.mp4

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

dazoner posted:

Read Up until right before the Little Garden Arc, then watch from that up until the start of Impel Down, then pick back up the story in manga form.

let's see here that would be...

344 episodes

lol that's longer than all of dbz

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I appreciate that I watched the anime because some scenes are just stand-out due to the music and voice acting- walk to Arlong Park, Jango/Bon Clay/Franky, the Enies Lobby fights, ect, and my personal favorite 151 Luffy V Bellamy. But I'm also glad that I watched it and read it together from Water 7 or so and that I just watched it to watch it, not to rush and catch up. I stopped after Punk Hazard tho and even that was about 100+ after it stopped being good and I was paying less and less attention while it was on, I was just staying caught up. I still miss the VAs and music, but I just can't deal with the poo poo pacing and animation, it is such a shame to watch it compared to say MHA or Soma and wonder how amazingly good it could look if it wasn't trapped in that slot.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Voxx posted:

It was cool when they stretched that scene into 5 episodes.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
The Funi anime is a pro watch, even the filler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qgj3n2BcZw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg56z1dUiP4

Also pulling an anime tangent on the eve of ch 901 is like a war crime. And I'm aware I'm part of the problem

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Ch 901: The ship exploded and sent the Straw Hats flying towards different islands where they train for another 2 years. Luffy however races to Fishman Island where Big Mom is planning to execute Jinbei, and he enlists the Clown Pirate Dispatch and Crocodile for back up.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I just had an idea about how Reiju, at least, is going to get out of this alive: The Vinsmokes are badly injured, but are able to stand up again with support from their raid suits. Judge realizes how screwed they are, so rather than let the entire Germa 66 leadership perish, he orders Reiju to fly away while the other Vinsmokes hold the Big Mom Pirates off. Reiju can't refuse the order (it's already been established that she's genetically programmed to obey Judge).

Judge and Sanji's brothers have been established as bad enough guys that sacrificing their lives would be the standard form of redemption for them; it feels necessary given their shift to a protagonist role. Oda has done this before with Bon Clay; Bon Clay later turned up alive, but the rules regarding death in One Piece seem to have changed after Marineford, so there's a good chance of them actually dying.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Voxx posted:

Sogeking, Shoot down that flag

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
For those who can't wait:

The ship shown in 900 blowing up was a Sun Pirate's ship, not the Straw Hat's (according to spoilers it was a "Legendary Superweapon"
Capone's crew have also lost their ship and been beaten down
A Sea King saved the Straw Hat's ship but "eating" the ship to keep it safe
Jinbei decides to stay behind with the Sun Pirates and Germa66 to keep away Big Mom's forces.
Luffy tells Jinbei "As your captain, you better come back to Wano!"
:bignews: drops the bombshell that "The Pirate King was born among the Worst Generation" that Straw Hat is included in

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 12, 2018

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Sub Harrison posted:

Sogeking, Shoot down that flag

MISSION COMPLETE

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

RealFoxy posted:

Jinbei decides to stay behind with the Sun Pirates and Germa66 to keep away Big Mom's forces.
Luffy tells Jinbei "As your captain, you better come back to Wano!”

Jimbe is never joining the crew is he :sigh:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I can't believe people are so desperate for more One Piece (which ended in chapter 900 with the death of the Strawhats) to post fanfic as spoilers

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/one-piece-2/en/0/901/page/1

:bignews:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The above spoilers were partially accurate.

Anyway Good on Bege that he got away.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I was really expecting the cutaway to a different scene. didn't expect that to be how they escaped either. also please stop trying so hard to death flag yourself jinbe

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
big news morgan is the loving best

the masterful way oda mixes desperation and camaraderie always gets to me. He has done it so many times but it's still just as effective.

I really hope jinbe's gimmick is he death flags himself at every opportunity but never dies

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jinbe will never die. It's his gimmick at this point.

Fantastic chapter. I hope everyone noticed and appreciates :bignews:'s escape vehicle is a hot air balloon being dragged by seagulls.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
The Straw Hats split up all the time in the New World, so Jinbe splitting up from them immediately after joining is the biggest sign that he has finally officially joined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
did oda forget he killed moscato