Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Repo Man posted:

I'll probably do it in my Pirate's Bane. Or maybe set up a really stupid trash gimmick mech. A Warhawk with 4 small lasers and an LRM 5. Just piss my team right off. Oh, or an all small laser SNV-3. Small laser Boar's head...the trash possibilities are endless.

Cicada 2a can run 6sl iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Urbanmech is hard carry tier. :worship:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The R60 is legit pretty good. That +20 CT armor goes a long way on a light mech.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Skippy McPants posted:

The R60 is legit pretty good. That +20 CT armor goes a long way on a light mech.

the 360 torso rotation is also fun as gently caress

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
I played for a bit with the new tree and gently caress I had to buy another two Vipers because I rotate between three builds. (MPL, SRMs and ERSL, SPL and MG).

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

sebmojo posted:

Cicada 2a can run 6sl iirc.

Yeah, but that would be a good mech. What I'm looking for is

Edit: So I'm pretty sure I just did the entire challenge in my Super Nova with only 7 small lasers, and 5 tons of AMS ammo in one match.

The Repo Man fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 10, 2017

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

The Repo Man posted:

Yeah, but that would be a good mech. What I'm looking for is

Edit: So I'm pretty sure I just did the entire challenge in my Super Nova with only 7 small lasers, and 5 tons of AMS ammo in one match.

I might have just seen you a couple of matches ago.

ingame name is hexenritter.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Skippy McPants posted:

What's the proper build these days. Still running 4mg and lpl/mpl.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
The actual build hasn't changed, just get all the armor boosts out of the survival tree and then it's personal preference after that.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

No seriously I have two accounts take em

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Uhh, if your're serious I'll take them.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

ZenVulgarity posted:

No seriously I have two accounts take em

I'm fine with my account, but I have a coworker I wanted to get into this game, so if I could make him skip some of the grind that'd be great®.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

loving. Pubbies.

Mottie
Mar 30, 2011

After playing lights and brawler mechs for so long, all I can say is Laser vomit is ridiculous :stare:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's powerful, but there are non-trivial limitations. The damage demands high face time, is easy to spread, and requires a lot of cooldown which leaves you vulnerable to a push. However, in pug queues where people can't aim, don't twist, and never push it is easily the best choice for when you're sick of everything and just want to win some games.

Edit: Like... in that gif, the Cicada is offering himself up on a silver platter just trundling over the D4/D5 line on Mining Collective. A medium has no business fully exposing over the most contested point on the map like that but pubbies don't give a gently caress.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 11, 2017

Mottie
Mar 30, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

It's powerful, but there are non-trivial limitations. The damage demands high face time, is easy to spread, and requires a lot of cooldown which leaves you vulnerable to a push. However, in pug queues where people can't aim, don't twist, and never push it is easily the best choice for when you're sick of everything and just want to win some games.

Edit: Like... in that gif, the Cicada is offering himself up on a silver platter just trundling over the D4/D5 line on Mining Collective. A medium has no business fully exposing over the most contested point on the map like that but pubbies don't give a gently caress.

Yeah, I feel like if Im using a pinpoint build at range, or a cooler, brawlier build up close, I can generally beat this sort of build out, but it's definitely worth respecting one that looks your way.(even if it cant really alpha you more than once every 10 seconds, it can still pop a cool shot and blast you twice, 136 damage is nothing to gently caress with if they can go for your legs/isolate a component at all.).

As for straight up winning, sometimes though you gotta pick a robot that can take a beating, and the EBJ's hitboxes can be... really bad. BIG FAT CT NOSE draws in a lot of damage, and even from range you've got the weapon pods on the shoulders that take so much damage when poking up. It does have a huge amount of firepower for it's tonnage though, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Mottie posted:

As for straight up winning, sometimes though you gotta pick a robot that can take a beating, and the EBJ's hitboxes can be... really bad. BIG FAT CT NOSE draws in a lot of damage, and even from range you've got the weapon pods on the shoulders that take so much damage when poking up. It does have a huge amount of firepower for it's tonnage though, which I thoroughly enjoy.

The trick with a lot of conical mechs is to wiggle rather than full twist. The EBJ's hitboxes are considerably better front on than side facing, so you want to stutter your torso to spread damage without showing your full side.

Also, if you don't mind a bit of kibitzing, I highly recommend the 2LPL/4ML EBJ with this Skilltree, especially for solo queue. The alpha is lower, but with that skill setup you can fire two consecutive alphas from resting heat, and four if you Cool Shot.

Mottie
Mar 30, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

The trick with a lot of conical mechs is to wiggle rather than full twist. The EBJ's hitboxes are considerably better front on than side facing, so you want to stutter your torso to spread damage without showing your full side.

Also, if you don't mind a bit of kibitzing, I highly recommend the 2LPL/4ML EBJ with this Skilltree, especially for solo queue. The alpha is lower, but with that skill setup you can fire two consecutive alphas from resting heat, and four if you Cool Shot.

I was gonna say "Do you really need to pull that many points out of other trees for that" but after doing a little bit of testing grounds math it comes *very* close to overheating on the second alpha, I know operations isnt great right now but I still am a bit scared of running with 0% radar derp. But you can position a lot better with a build with this sort of range anyways

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, I cut the margins razor thin because there's never enough skill points to go around, but eking out those second and forth alphas is such a huge performance boost that it's more than worth it.

If you want a version that keeps Radar Dep, you can use this Skilltree, but I honestly don't think it's better. The survival tree is just too drat good.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jun 11, 2017

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

What engine sizes are en vogue for urbies post-skill fuckening?

What do you do with the supertanky r60 urbie skill wise?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Always a 180. The 175 is the exact same weight, and if you go any lower than that you lose an engine heatsink which is real bad. XL if you're doing one of the 2LPL poke builds, STD for any kind of brawler.

For the R60 I think you'll definitely want to go deep on the survival tree since it plays into the chassis' loopy armor quirks. With a full investment, the thing has ~74 CT armor, which is pretty hilarious on a light. Beyond that, it would depend on the loadout. For midrange poking, you could get away with a lot less in agility, but if you're gonna brawl then you'll end up needing stuff like Anchor Turn and maybe a bit of Speed Tweak. Just make sure you don't waste any points on Torso Yaw, cause hey, Urbanmech!

I'd probably start with something like this as a skeleton and fill things out depending on the build.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 11, 2017

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Just getting back into this -- but it looks like none of my old progress carried over from last time, for some reason. :smith: Haven't played in years though.

Should I really save up for a Hellbringer? There are definitely cheaper mechs, but I imagine they're mostly a trap.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Not necessarily a trap, but the thing about non-Omnimechs is that you often have to buy a new engine to optimize builds and larger engines cost mad bank. With Omni's you only end up having to buy pods, which still cost a bit but not nearly as much. There's also the fact that Clan mechs are just... better than IS and so the extra cost is somewhere justified by getting that sweet OP Clan tech. That said, I don't know if I'd recommend the Hellbringer as the default best starter mech post-skilltree now that ECM isn't a one-ton wonder anymore.

You said that none of your progress carried over? What kind of assets do you have, and have you finished your first 25 games to get the cadet c-bill bonus?

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Skippy McPants posted:

Not necessarily a trap, but the thing about non-Omnimechs is that you often have to buy a new engine to optimize builds and larger engines cost mad bank. With Omni's you only end up having to buy pods, which still cost a bit but not nearly as much. That said, I don't know if I'd recommend the Hellbringer as the default best starter mech post-skilltree now that ECM isn't a one-ton wonder anymore.

You said that none of your progress carried over? What kind of assets do you have, and have you finished your first 25 games to get the cadet c-bill bonus?

Currently sitting on 8.1m cbills -- did the tutorial and I think I'm like 3-5 quickmatch games in at this point, so I still have some cadet bonuses to pick up.

Previously I tended more toward medium/heavy with a focus on ballistics. Running out of ammo ain't a problem if you end up dying all the time. :v:

That said, if one of those accounts is still up for grabs, Zen, I'd love to skip the training wheels phase.

Edit: WOW. I'm a huge idiot. Turns out I switched accounts a while back to use a different username, and that's where my Hunchback and 10m cbills are. And I just got a Centurion for logging in?

Guess it's time to do the tutorial again. Weeeee!

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 11, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Skippy McPants posted:

Not necessarily a trap, but the thing about non-Omnimechs is that you often have to buy a new engine to optimize builds and larger engines cost mad bank. With Omni's you only end up having to buy pods, which still cost a bit but not nearly as much. There's also the fact that Clan mechs are just... better than IS and so the extra cost is somewhere justified by getting that sweet OP Clan tech. That said, I don't know if I'd recommend the Hellbringer as the default best starter mech post-skilltree now that ECM isn't a one-ton wonder anymore.

The hellbringer came out from the skill tree changes incredibly well.

Off the top of my head, other mechs that came out well:

Thunderbolt
Marauder
Victor

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

The hellbringer came out from the skill tree changes incredibly well.

Howso? It didn't gain anything from the skill tree that, say, the Ebon Jag didn't and it needs at least 13 points in sensors to use its ECM. Don't be me wrong, it's still a good mech, but I don't think you take it over the Jag now unless you specifically want the ECM.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
I'd just like to say that the dual UAC10 build I stole from the MoltenMetal guy on youtube is totally fun. I only made a slight tweak of using a dead side and going with 2 med pulse lasers on one arm.

The biggest problem I was having with the timber wolf, before going with the dual UAC10 build, was that I would always get hit on my laser shoulder pod and lose all those lasers all the drat time. With the dual UAC10's now closer to the CT I find that it's easier to not get hit.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 11, 2017

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Okay, budget's a bit more generous now -- bit over 15m cbills and like 1.5k CM. Always had a soft spot for the Cauldron Borne, but I really don't know much of anything choosing an an Omnimech that's a good starting point for a ballistic-heavy build. The pods and everything are a lot to take in. Not to mention the skill tree (though it looks like I brought over some XP from playing previously so I have a head start).

I think this Hunchback-4H is the goon recommendation from way back: 3 Med Lasers, a Gauss Rifle and AMS with Endo Steel, lots and lots of standard armor and a 200XL engine. It's... not ideal, but it lets me poke at long range.

On the upside, it was already nicknamed HALFAFAFNIR. :allears:

Edit: Also this Centurion-AH(L) is ugly as sin. Helluva paint job.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 11, 2017

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
I'm personally not too big of a fan of the hunchback IIC. It felt super sluggish and the big giant shoulder pods were always a prime target whenever I popped out, but then again I'm super new and probably played it wrong.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Agrajag posted:

I'd just like to say that the dual UAC10 build I stole from the MoltenMetal guy on youtube is totally fun. I only made a slight tweak of using a dead side and going with 2 med pulse lasers on one arm.

The biggest problem I was having with the timber wolf, before going with the dual UAC10 build, was that I would always get hit on my laser shoulder pod and lose all those lasers all the drat time. With the dual UAC10's now closer to the CT I find that it's easier to not get hit.

This build is going to look really dumb next to the standard laser TBR, but I will swear by it: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=164&l=e1fcc0e6de05b64709eb9c44be4df133c87c703c

The thing is, when you use that TBR-A shoulder, you get really high up laser hardpoints, which is great. But then every single person you fight sees that thing sticking up, and they A) Know all your firepower is in there and B) Have a big flat surface to aim at which can be hit from almost any angle because it sticks out. Laser Timbers are so common that almost everyone knows about this, and most people will take advantage of it.

By using a weird build like the one I linked you keep the same loadout, but you don't have the big vulnerability sticking up out of your mech. The tradeoff is that your mounts are a bit lower and more spread out, but imo it's worth it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Agrajag posted:

I'm personally not too big of a fan of the hunchback IIC. It felt super sluggish and the big giant shoulder pods were always a prime target whenever I popped out, but then again I'm super new and probably played it wrong.

I've been running it with dual UAC/20s and while it's an incredibly fun build to play it's objectively pretty bad because it's so fragile. I'm gonna try switching to 4 UAC/2s and see what the other extreme is like.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

Howso? It didn't gain anything from the skill tree that, say, the Ebon Jag didn't and it needs at least 13 points in sensors to use its ECM. Don't be me wrong, it's still a good mech, but I don't think you take it over the Jag now unless you specifically want the ECM.

It has better acceleration and turning than the ebon jag. The Jag still came out OK, but the hellbringer came out better. It also has better mount geometry for most builds. Personally I think the hit boxes are a bit better, but that's subjective. They're both good mechs, but the maneuverability of the HBR is just really, really good. ECM is also still good and worth investing the points in.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Agrajag posted:

You need to be good at corner poking and hill humping to use any hunchback - regular or IIC - well. It's all about minimizing your exposure and trading well.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
I haven't played in a good long while. I don't have enough cbills to buy a new mech at the moment, so what am I most likely to make work out of:

• RVN-3L
  • CDA-2A(C)
  • SCR-C
  • CTF-0XP
  • CTF-3D
  • BNC-3M

I had a weird build I think I was just messing around with before I stopped playing on the Stormcrow that consisted of a UAC-20 and a bunch of SPL. I remember it being pretty decent at boring holes in people's backs when they were occupied with someone else, but either the playstyle shifted or (surely not) I got a lot worse. So what weapons are generally good/bad at this point? I'm assuming medium/large lasers are still good and LRMs bad. LBX still bad? SRMs still good?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

LRMs are bad, just about everything else is workable. Stormcrow is okay but not really a murdermachine anymore, Cataphract 0XP is pretty darn good but only really as a brawler (I run 2LPL AC20 asymmetric, most run 4ML AC20 spread out). Banshee is... okay. Raven is not amazing, and CTF-3D is pretty bad. Dunno about the Cicada, don't own one but they seem to die pretty easily on the rare times I see them.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
Is there any reason to play the bad variants of mechs anymore? Skill stuff doesn't transfer over or anything, right?

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

ZombieApostate posted:

Is there any reason to play the bad variants of mechs anymore? Skill stuff doesn't transfer over or anything, right?

Some variants have gotten better post-skilltree, the ones still bad are not needed and that makes the game better, in a weird PGI sort of way.

Also, the BNC is good, and the Cicada is decent. Buff Laser Duration in the Skill Tree and poke all day.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I sold the free Linebacker-Prime to try Vindicator-1x builds and the mech is completely terrible. I was able to make an okay build and these are the first 2 matches I tried it out in, could anyone give me advice to make it better? (I will swap the stock engine with an XL at some point.)

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=208&l=a22c16dce27fe1142c52e877f3e7d365fbc9aa6d

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
You made a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mottie
Mar 30, 2011

Artificer posted:

You made a mistake.

Gonna agree there, the LBK is the bees knees in terms of fun stompy robots. But if you really want it.

VND-1X is what I could come up with with This tree as its skill tree. You have 50+ left arm armor and Good mobility, plus some radar derp if you really want it. This also lets you shield with your right side a decent amount when you're getting shot at, which is also nice. If you don't, put the 9 spare points into velocity nodes and have a good time DPSing people in the back. You can also use an xl 225, too, but dont go any smaller than that or else you'll have to add an extra heat sink (which means you dont really get that tonnage back)

(also this thing is slow as hell because of the low engine cap, jeez)

Mottie fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 11, 2017

• Locked thread