Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Bomberman is up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Used my alternate identity and credit cards to purchase this so my wife doesn't find out. The freedom of adulthood feels great

My fiance is probably more excited about Breath of the Wild than I am

I'm probably going to be keeping one of my extra pre-orders for her :3:

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Kashuno posted:

This is a fair concern though. Splatoon made dumb bank off of being a free online game once purchased. That said if they actually launch a good online service (lmao) it'll be fine.

I will buy it anyway because Splatoon is extremely my poo poo.

I will happily pay a subscription fee if it means a different online Splatoon experience where someone with a bad connection does not get a strange unfair advantage where you shoot them and nothing happens and then you explode while using an invincibility move.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

The gimmick actually seems pretty useful this time though imo.

yeah the idea of a 3ds you can also play on your tv is very cool. it's just deeply alarming that for once nintendo seems to have done okay with the hardware but are botching the software and UI/OS/market research side. who the gently caress is paying money to nintendo of all companies for multiplayer? they can't even figure out how to do a real account system and it's 2017, do you honestly think they understand how modern multiplayer works? especially when 2 of their early games (mario kart and splatoon) will wither up and die without a robust multiplayer community.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Asema posted:

I mean I'm pissed about all the Red flags and I wanted to preorder and be excited for it but I'm probably moved firmly into "maybe 2019/2020" camp so I can get my Nintendo fix at a much cheaper price*

*probably buying from a friend or craigslist because gently caress if Nintendo games ever drop in price

For me this is the first time I've gotten a console at launch. I didn't ever buy a wii or a wii u; my roommate owned a wii and my brother bought me a wii u. Before that I wasn't buying my own consoles. I love Nintendo stuff but it has been hard to ever think I need it immediately. The Switch, for me,is the first time outside of handhelds i've really felt like i need it day 1 and I'm excited for that reason. I commute almost a total of 2 hours by train every day so having BotW or I am Setsuna or a TALES OF game that I can play on mobile is huge to me. I can see why some people wouldn't want it but I hope you can see why some people would :shobon:

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

axeil posted:

i bought a wii u deluxe on launch which was a huge mistake but my friends and i got a lot of fun use out of nintendoland. i also got a wii at launch and we had a good time with wii sports.

The 120ish hours I have in Nintendo Land is why I think 1-2 Switch is gonna be real good

And lol if anyone buys 1-2 physically, that's gonna be perfect for digital.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Bomberman looks dope

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Sold

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

grand theft grotto posted:

I will happily pay a subscription fee if it means a different online Splatoon experience where someone with a bad connection does not get a strange unfair advantage where you shoot them and nothing happens and then you explode while using an invincibility move.

That different experience will be sitting in a lobby for ten minutes in between matches while you wait for the system to find other players. Hope you like Squid Jump.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they should have ACTUAlly made a super-powered 3ds you can play on your tv, instead of an expensive wii u with detachable controllers

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

My opinion on the $300 price tag soured immensely after finding out that dumb 1, 2, switch isn't a pack-in and the console only has 32 gigs of memory.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
The face of anguish on the bags when they get blown up. :stonk:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'm bummed that Super Mario Odyssey doesn't seem to be multi-player. I got a ton of mileage out of 3d World and have been hoping for a follow-up for years.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
HIGE HIGE BANDITS

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Kashuno posted:

For me this is the first time I've gotten a console at launch. I didn't ever buy a wii or a wii u; my roommate owned a wii and my brother bought me a wii u. Before that I wasn't buying my own consoles. I love Nintendo stuff but it has been hard to ever think I need it immediately. The Switch, for me,is the first time outside of handhelds i've really felt like i need it day 1 and I'm excited for that reason. I commute almost a total of 2 hours by train every day so having BotW or I am Setsuna or a TALES OF game that I can play on mobile is huge to me. I can see why some people wouldn't want it but I hope you can see why some people would :shobon:

yeah this should've been the marketing push. "it's a tablet that you also can plug into your tv. also it's our only console now so you can play zelda on the way to work/on the pooper." instead they're pretending like its a regular old console, when we all know that this thing is going to have next to no 3rd party support again.

oh and if nintendo seriously thinks they can re-capture the wii magic they're dead wrong. that succeeded because they grabbed the non-gaming market. except that market has 0 interest in spending $300 for a console when they can just get a phone game instead.

it's not as bad as the marketing/business strategy for the wii u was, but its really confusing. imo i think it might be happening because nintendo is completely unable to see past japan and understand that the rest of the world is where this thing's success or failure will be decided. i mean, remember spotpass and streetpass? "yeah we don't have real online but its cool because we made a multiplayer like system that pretty much only will ever work in japanese cities or nyc."

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

You dopes know there is actually games other than Zelda at launch right? You don't need any of them as they are games. But there is more than Zelda.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
is bomberman running at 30fps
something feels weird

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Junkie Disease posted:

You dopes know there is actually games other than Zelda at launch right? You don't need any of them as they are games. But there is more than Zelda.

Lol

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A no more heroes sequel is gonna be great though

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ROFL Octopus posted:

My opinion on the $300 price tag soured immensely after finding out that dumb 1, 2, switch isn't a pack-in and the console only has 32 gigs of memory.

Yeah it sucks but microSDs are pretty cheap. I got a 128GB one for $18 a few months ago.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

lol the more i think about, having skyrim as a featured title on your system in 2017 is such a backhanded compliment. kind of embarrassing really

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Asema posted:

A no more heroes sequel is gonna be great though

Somebody else get pumped for this like I am please;

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yeah it sucks but microSDs are pretty cheap. I got a 128GB one for $18 a few months ago.

Memory is cheap which is why they only included a small amount at a marked up price

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I think Kimishima has been good for Nintendo. You can see Iwata's ideas all over the Switch but you can also see a lo of things Iwata would never do.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Junkie Disease posted:

launch games:

-zelda
-1, 2 switch
-bomberman?

that's it. the wii had wii sports, zelda, red steel (lol) and uh maybe one other one? wii u had a boatload but the only ones worth mentioning were nintendoland, new super mario bros. u and maybe the sonic mario kart and zombii u.

the key difference here is that the wii and wii u had their fun party game as a pack-in. the switch does not. launching with 2 games may have worked back with the n64 when you had pilotwings and mario 64 (and i think waverace came out right after) but i don't think it'll fly in 2017.

Super No Vacancy posted:

lol the more i think about, having skyrim as a featured title on your system in 2017 is such a backhanded compliment. kind of embarrassing really

yeah this is seriously the wtf part. at least mass effect 3 had just come out, even if it came out gimped and without any dlc for the wii u. releasing the standard edition of a 6 year old game with no dlc just strikes me as a what the gently caress move. who is the target audience for this? people who wanted to play it already probably have it twice now (regular + special edition). are they seriously banking on their being an untapped market of nintendo-only people who are cool with playing a 6 year old game?

axeil fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 13, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Zelda looks washed out, whats up with that?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
does bomberman have cosmetic microtransactions

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Bomberman rules.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I don't who the gently caress Masatsugu Saito is, but his character designs for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 look like poo poo and the whole thing looks off-putting which is a shame because I'm playing through the first one on the 3DS and I'm enjoying it.

Granted, the original game has designs that look weird as gently caress but I found them to be a lot more interesting/engaging than what looks like some anime game on Steam.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

It amazing that Nintendo made twilight princess better on the GameCube, and now likely botw will have a better framerate on the Wii U

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

This Bomberman looks ugly and none of the different map elements are visually distinct from each other. Looks like it's Bomberman '94 forever.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Tender Bender posted:

That different experience will be sitting in a lobby for ten minutes in between matches while you wait for the system to find other players. Hope you like Squid Jump.

The service turns to paid after Splatoon 2 comes out. It'll have an active userbase while the online is still free and when it turns to paid I imagine there will be a good number of players who subscribe if for nothing more than to keep playing Splatoon 2. If matchmaking is still worldwide then it shouldn't be too bad.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Malloc Voidstar posted:

does bomberman have cosmetic microtransactions

No. That's in game money.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

This Bomberman looks ugly and none of the different map elements are visually distinct from each other. Looks like it's Bomberman '94 forever.

That was one world.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

babypolis posted:

When is nintendo going to give up on this poo poo. Just make games for other consoles and handhelds and basically everyone will be better off

Nintendo are the ones responsible that make other console makers better off because they basically invented everything interesting so far about controller input, and they work off that.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Watching the stream with no sound at work. What are these Gems? microtransactions?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I don't think microtransactions have been mentioned, but I've only been halfway paying attention. It's Bomberman, who cares

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

ethanol posted:

It amazing that Nintendo made twilight princess better on the GameCube, and now likely botw will have a better framerate on the Wii U

source?

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Bomberman looks fantastic, 8p goodness.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Bombadilillo posted:

Watching the stream with no sound at work. What are these Gems? microtransactions?

In-game currency you either use as continues or to buy cosmetics. No microtransactions involved it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
They could just port bomberman 64 with online multiplayer and I'd pay full price day one

• Locked thread