Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Thumposaurus posted:

Then they slashed it with a box cutter for...reasons

authentic Link Wray damaged speaker tone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I need to find me one of these dumpsters.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

wtffffffff free 6505?! Wishing Dumpster make me a wish, wish me a wish of a Laney LA100BL.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I'm guessing they slashed the speaker as some sort of half-assed attempt to prevent there being a working amp in there

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the stock speaker on those kinda blows anyway

i did a head conversion for a friend a while back and it's a legit amp when paired with a decent cab

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
For my bday, I got a LH Martin DX Johnny Cash acoustic. Always wanted a Martin, and while it is MFD (ie: no sick fukken tone woodz!!1) and made in Mexico, I really dig it.
Anyway, all of my favorite guitars are made in Mexico, so it'd be madness to stop now!

(Picture taken in my kid's room.)

Wheres Wallace
May 5, 2009

:) keep on keepin' on :)
I've been without an amp for almost a year now thanks to my HX stomp. It replaced my 6505mh stack and interface! But I grew tired of always wearing headphones to jam out.

So I decided to make a wet/dry rig with a solid practice amp. My HX Stomp send processed signal to my computer for recording, and sends a dry signal to this beast:

Orange Crush 20. With an overdrive in front, it's fine for metal tones, but gahhh does it feel good to hear an amp move air again.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Wheres Wallace posted:

I've been without an amp for almost a year now thanks to my HX stomp. It replaced my 6505mh stack and interface! But I grew tired of always wearing headphones to jam out.

So I decided to make a wet/dry rig with a solid practice amp. My HX Stomp send processed signal to my computer for recording, and sends a dry signal to this beast:

Orange Crush 20. With an overdrive in front, it's fine for metal tones, but gahhh does it feel good to hear an amp move air again.

This is the most difficult part of loving my silent recording rig. It is everything I've wanted from silent recording. But I never reckoned with how much I would miss my fat body getting blasted by heroically stupid SPLs.

Basic bitch af but I replaced my high output SD Distortions with a Pearly Gates in the bridge and am going to get a P90 for the neck. Distortions do the one thing they do but that ain't me, as much fun as it is to play that sound.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

This is the most difficult part of loving my silent recording rig. It is everything I've wanted from silent recording. But I never reckoned with how much I would miss my fat body getting blasted by heroically stupid SPLs.

Legit the biggest benefit to playing guitar at all is getting your ears shredded while your intestines rattle.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Temporary set up while I either repair the combo cab or hack it into a head cab.

The slashed speaker is deader than dead I tried it out briefly to see if maybe it'd be able to be patched up but it passes no sound.

What's a good upgrade speaker for the 6505?

I also have an Ampeg V4 cab in storage that would work great with this but I have no room for it here.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hack! Hack! Hack! Hack! Hack!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Thumposaurus posted:

Temporary set up while I either repair the combo cab or hack it into a head cab.

The slashed speaker is deader than dead I tried it out briefly to see if maybe it'd be able to be patched up but it passes no sound.

I also have an Ampeg V4 cab in storage that would work great with this but I have no room for it here.

The old Peavey Sheffields are dope. v30s, EVM12L, Greenbacks... but a ton of folks swear by the Eminence Legends. Easy to hear why.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Thumposaurus posted:

think i mentioned doing a head conversion on one of those before but it sounds way better that way

also eminence texas heat/swamp thang pairs. iirc krank used them as one of their stock speaker setups and it crushes

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Muppets On PCP posted:

think i mentioned doing a head conversion on one of those before but it sounds way better that way

also eminence texas heat/swamp thang pairs. iirc krank used them as one of their stock speaker setups and it crushes

This is a perfect speaker combination. Swamp Thangs will give you the huuuge low end you deserve.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

If you only have a single 12 to work with the Legend is a good all-round speaker IMO

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

This cab I've got it running through now is a 1x15 it's really a bass cab but it sounds pretty good so far.

I usually run an old Acoustic (brand) solid state head through it and use it as a keyboard amp.

I'll have to remove the baffle board to fix the blown out speaker mounts in the cab portion so I may as well make the head conversion at the same time.

Maybe could squeeze 2 12" speakers in if they are staggered corner to corner I'll have to play around with it.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Found a mystery fretless bass at an estate sale:

Has the fender bridge cover and the neck plate just says "JAPAN". Not really sure if I can identify it more than that but it's a decently light fretless bass I can mess around with.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Looks like a Matsumoku-made bass, possibly like this Raven branded one:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/pickups-in-a-raven-matsumoku-guitars-bass.1391175/

Take the pick guard off and see if that awful faux wood shelf liner is covering up another pickup route and switch area.

Edit: looks like they made a single pickup version as well, which may be more likely since it lacks neck binding like yours - https://www.reddit.com/r/Guitar/comments/5bibzn/question_raven_bass_guitar_jbass_from_the_60s70s/

DrChu fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 23, 2020

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Whoa, that was fast, thanks for that! I might check out if anything is covered, but either way it'll be fun to mess around with.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Thumposaurus posted:

Greenback or Vintage 30.

Celestion G12H30 is great if you’re using a 1x12 or 2x12 cab.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

I finally went and did it. No more analog console. As much as I love running OOTB, the lack of space caused by transitioning to working from home has emboldened me to venture further into in-the-box solutions. I learned on a Yamaha O2R96 so it felt very natural to transition to an X32-series board. Plus, it fits perfectly on top of my 19" Samson wheeled rack. Going from taping basic-rear end 2i/2o to a digital board with a proper card that can do simultaneous 32i/32o is like opening your eyes for the first time. I loaded up an old Pro Tools sessions and bussed all my submixes out to feel out the final mix/mastering workflow (limited to 8 internal FX racks in the console, so not really suited for submixing unless you were hyperfocused) and it feels so seamless. For the first time in ages, it actually feels effortless to fire up the rig and start making music. Saving scenes for specific songs while they're in progress means skipping the 30 minutes of redoing the channel strip and allows me to work on so much more music so much faster.

Anyway I know digital consoles like this have been around for ages and aren't new technology but actually owning one is a night and day difference. Plus being able to do remote DAW control and have motorized faders for mixing soft synth stuff is fantastic. gently caress yeah

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress yeah indeed!

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

barnold posted:

gently caress yeah

Wark Say posted:

I'm gonna say it too

gently caress yeah

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
This was kinda exciting for me.

My buddy just bought himself a knock-off MIJ Jazz Bass and another friend asked him if he was going to buy a bass amp. I already know enough about the guy that he's definitely not into the idea of adding bass rigs to his huge guitar amp collection. I cruised by the Tech 21 NYC Sansamp bass page looking for my old VT Bass pedal or the next iteration of it, and was surprised to see three signature models. (Models which, I am told, can be completely recreated in the Sansamp PSA 2.0, but that's just my old bassist's opinion.) There were three flavors of Geddy Lee, a Steve Harris (which I am sure is the one my buddy will need for his style of writing), and to my extreme joy there is a dUg Pinnick model. Apparently they made it like six years ago and I just never looked.

I just got one, it's tiny. I'm about to plug in and try the headphone out. I just can't get over how they managed to smoosh a huge two amp rig into some circuitry in this little metal enclosure. It's sharp, and the YouTube of dUg playing his sounds dead-on. He says in the video he put it in his gig bag and took it on tour and that's all he used. Between that and the VT Bass I think I won't be needing anything else for tracking demo tracks on bass.

I don't really do his tone that much but I definitely like the bass amp + guitar amp (like, say, that insane Pearce amp) method and this little tiny guy sounds pretty versatile per the suggested settings in the manual (from dUg to Chris Squire to Paul McCartney.)

Here's dUg playing his (warning: Sweetwater video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxFYIpP7qi4

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Wark Say posted:

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Not exactly new, but these cabs have been sitting in a storage unit for like 12 years and I'd totally forgotten about them. Cleaned it out and was pleasantly surprised! Of course I don't have a bass amp anymore since I'd moved to ITB for bass sounds, but I'll probably be grabbing some smaller bass head so I can properly rock out again.

The Mesa is a Powerhouse 1000, the Hartke is a VX1508. Got the mesa for $400 from a friend, which I'm sure he regretted lol.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
My friend asked for my address a week ago and said he was going to mail me some old pedals I had left at his house a few years ago (a phaser a trem and an analog delay). The box showed up and I went to open the package and had a heart attack because he put this on top of the stack in an unmarked box:

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Lots of poking around in various music forums, and the synth thread here, and lots of youtube videos, led me to this today, and so far it's awesome, just tremendously satisfying to handle, to look at, and to play around with:

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
15W model, going through an Avatar cab with a 12" Greenback. I'm in love

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

McCoy Pauley posted:

Lots of poking around in various music forums, and the synth thread here, and lots of youtube videos, led me to this today, and so far it's awesome, just tremendously satisfying to handle, to look at, and to play around with:

...what is it?

I do like that there are “YES” and “NO” buttons on a piece of musical equipment.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's a Synthesizer.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Arcella posted:

...what is it?

I do like that there are “YES” and “NO” buttons on a piece of musical equipment.

It's an Elektron Digitone -- an FM synthesizer and sequencer:

https://www.elektron.se/products/digitone/

Elektron says it is the "Master of the digital method". It hasn't made me into that, but hope springs eternal.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Got another French Toast Fuzz (Foxx Tone Machine clone) since I sold my last one. I missed it.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Arcella posted:

...what is it?

a slightly more powerful adlib soundcard in a box. hope you like sim city and wolf3d.exe

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Got another French Toast Fuzz (Foxx Tone Machine clone) since I sold my last one. I missed it.

Those little Danelectro stompers are so drat dandy just to look at. :)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

NAD Sunn Beta Editition. Have been doing some work for a guy and he was super appreciative and when we were hanging out I turn to him and he says “here man, I know you’ll love this. Just needs some pots replaced but it works and sounds good” so it was basically zero dollars.

Wark Say posted:

Those little Danelectro stompers are so drat dandy just to look at. :)

They are my favorite so cute :3:

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 28, 2020

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
OH MY gently caress, get outta here. No way! :aaa:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

curried lamb of God posted:

15W model, going through an Avatar cab with a 12" Greenback. I'm in love

One of Pat Benatar’s lesser known hits.