Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

Tharizdun posted:

You give your friend's death meaning by getting the bastards that did that to her and making sure no one else does, not by giving up and becoming a skinless god prophet

The ending is her revenge though, in that she gives them precisely what they thought they wanted. Her authentic spirituality is too much for the old lady and her dumb wish to have positive knowledge of god can handle. She kills herself because the girl truly broke her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Hellbunny posted:

The ending is her revenge though, in that she gives them precisely what they thought they wanted. Her authentic spirituality is too much for the old lady and her dumb wish to have positive knowledge of god can handle. She kills herself because the girl truly broke her.
This could be the most literal interpretation of cutting off your nose to spite your face ever.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Slugworth posted:

This could be the most literal interpretation of cutting off your nose to spite your face ever.

What about Seven?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

ANOES 5/6 are probably my least favorite films of the major 80s slasher canon.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

ANOES 5/6 are probably my least favorite films of the major 80s slasher canon.

The interesting dichotomy between the ANOES series and the F13 series is that the latter never got as good as the former at its best, but it also never got as bad as the former at its worst.

For those who have maybe seen one series and not the other, this means that ANOES parts 5 & 6 are worse than F13 parts 5 or 8 or 9. A grim prognosis.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The interesting dichotomy between the ANOES series and the F13 series is that the latter never got as good as the former at its best, but it also never got as bad as the former at its worst.

For those who have maybe seen one series and not the other, this means that ANOES parts 5 & 6 are worse than F13 parts 5 or 8 or 9. A grim prognosis.

I'd say it's worth it for everyone to sit down and watch "the Big 3" series of Halloween, F13, and ANOES at least once in their lives.
Prior to going through them all, having only seen the originals of each and Freddy vs Jason, I was way more into Freddy and thought Jason was lame. But after, I realized that the first Halloween is the best of the bunch, the Nightmare series is way worse than I thought, F13 Part 2 has the best final girl, and the F13 series is WAY more entertaining to sit and watch than the others.
It also struck me how the "last" movie in each series (so Curse, Freddy's Dead, and Jason Goes to Hell) all decide that everyone needs to have some weird demonic/otherworldly prophesy surrounding them. Freddy makes sense, I guess, but the appeal of Michael Myers is he's just a guy who started killing, not the embodiment of Halloween, and I sincerely doubt anyone wrote out a prophesy about a handicapped kid who drowned in a lake in case he came back and needed to be killed.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The way Jason Goes to Hell retroactively decides that Mrs. Voorhees was actually a dark wizard or something is hilarious.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The way Jason Goes to Hell retroactively decides that Mrs. Voorhees was actually a dark wizard or something is hilarious.

No movie has ever pulled this off except Prisoners.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

No movie has ever pulled this off except Prisoners.

So, no movie has ever pulled this off then.

BTW I'm glad you popped in because I know you love Richard Corben and on the off chance you have a tablet or something, Dark Horse Digital is doing a ridiculous sale today. Really, anyone in this thread who likes horror and comics should check it out.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I definitely have a tablet, and I'm definitely grabbing that at that price.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

So, no movie has ever pulled this off then.

Great movie. But that didn't work for me at all.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I love it. Old women and Satan are like peanut butter and jelly.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

I love it. Old women and Satan are like peanut butter and jelly.

Oh absolutely.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Great movie. But that didn't work for me at all.

I thought it was outstanding for the first two thirds but the last third (basically starting right after that one suspect blows his brains out) was pretty bad.

I will cosign this though:

Old women and Satan are like peanut butter and jelly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

What about Seven?

That's cutting off someone else's nose to spite their face. The only person who cuts themselves goes for the love handles.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I think I'm a lot more forgiving of Friday the 13th than I am of the Halloween and Nightmare series because Friday the 13th was never really good in the first place. 6 is probably the only sincerely great Friday movie, but I can enjoy the others as trash. Even Jason Goes to Hell, the second worst, is still fun because it's bad horror fan fiction. The bad Halloween and Nightmare movies feel like they're cheapening something.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Is 5 really that bad? I always considered 4 and 5 of the NOES series to be pretty similar in terms of quality. Certainly don't see 5 as bad as Freddy's Dead.

And all the F13 movies own, especially Jason Takes Manhattan, it's easily the most fun of the series besides IV and VI.

And if no one feels like waiting until May 1st, the NOES documentary is on Hulu. Still hoping they put up the F13 one at some point.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I actually think she gets better as she goes, culminating in New Nightmare which is just a fabulous performance by any metric. But even in the original she's an uncommonly strong anchor for the genre.

She definitely gets better as time goes on, and she does have a certain like-ability to her, but acting-wise yyyeeeesssh in the first ANOES it almost seems like she's reading off cue cards.

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Is 5 really that bad? I always considered 4 and 5 of the NOES series to be pretty similar in terms of quality. Certainly don't see 5 as bad as Freddy's Dead.

I like Uncle Boogeyman but he has a weird habit of taking movies that aren't all that much different and thinking one of them is a masterpiece and the other is a huge pile of horseshit. I exaggerate a little, of course, but it sometimes feels that way to me.

Also, ANOES 5 isn't really terrible or anything, but it is a very going-through-the-motions entry. It doesn't feel like a proper escalation or progression of the series (this despite the fact that it's the rare slasher flick that brings back the surviving cast of the prior movie), it just spins its wheels in place. It's the 'Star Trek Insurrection' of the series.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I will say Friday the 13th IV is probably the most overrated. There's a lot of good stuff in there, but it's honestly bit of a boring movie. I remembered it fondly for years, but last time I rewatched it, I honestly wished I was just watching Part III.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I watched Parts I to VII for the first time across the last few weeks and the only one that comes close to being actually "good" is Part VI since it's so self-aware and kind of a precursor to New Nightmare/Scream. The others all have their moments (esp. 2 and 4) but its still easily the weakest of the big slasher franchises.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
So this look shamelessly similar to Grave Encounters in terms of content and style. I can only hope that it's going to be as clever and joyful to watch as Grave Encounters, and that it gets a sequel that ceases at all to be scary but is a highly effective black comedy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
From the guys who did Poughkeepsie Tapes, so it's a crapshoot.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

lizardman posted:

Also, ANOES 5 isn't really terrible or anything, but it is a very going-through-the-motions entry. It doesn't feel like a proper escalation or progression of the series (this despite the fact that it's the rare slasher flick that brings back the surviving cast of the prior movie), it just spins its wheels in place. It's the 'Star Trek Insurrection' of the series.

Honestly, I don't really feel that way about it. I'm hesitant to call it a progression in the series, because it takes kind of a hard left turn from 4 instead of going in the same direction (5 is a hosed up movie whereas 4 was pretty much a horror comedy), but "going through the motions" is just about the last way I'd describe it. It's flawed because it doesn't execute a lot of its ideas all that well, not because it doesn't have any new ones.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
ANOES 5 had a very troubled and rushed production. The writers claim nothing from their script made it into the movie other than the "It's a boy" line.

IMDB Trivia posted:

Virtually nothing of the screenplay by John Skipp and Craig Spector made it into the film (according to Skipp, only the phrase "It's a boy" was retained), while only around half of Leslie Bohem's screenplay was kept. William Wisher Jr. and David J. Schow did further rewrites, and the final screenplay was put together just days before shooting by Michael De Luca.

quote:

Hopkins was given just four weeks to shoot and a further four weeks to edit the film. This meant that he had to shoot on one stage while the crew dressed the other, so they could shot almost continually. After he made it, the studio was so impressed that he was given the task of directing Predator 2.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I've seen Predator 2, and The Dream Child is no Predator 2.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's kind of funny, when I think of Predator 2 as a whole it isn't as if the story is all that bad taken by itself, but the whole thing just seems so low budget. The actors, the directing, the script, it's all Straight to DVD.

The ending is swank though. All these guys want is a good hunt, and, well, they got one. Bro fist, human.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

You know, the one NoES movie that keeps getting slammed is Freddy's Dead.

Who can say something nice about it? I thought the lead chick playing his daughter or whatever was hot.

F/E: Also Yaphet Kotto!

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Oliver Reed posted:

Who can say something nice about it? I thought the lead chick playing his daughter or whatever was hot.

It was the last bad NoES for a while.

Watched the new Nightmare on Elm Street after someone in here defended it and all I can say is gently caress you to whoever first defended it. What a pile of garbage.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Hellbunny posted:

I don't think it's her serving them any kind of vengeance, she was defeated and turned into their next tool. How devestating her revelation wasn't revenge on her part, or even of God's, the revenge is their own good ol' hubris, because eternal truths are no one's fuckin' business, if there are those kind of inhuman obstacles in place.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I watched Parts I to VII for the first time across the last few weeks and the only one that comes close to being actually "good" is Part VI since it's so self-aware and kind of a precursor to New Nightmare/Scream. The others all have their moments (esp. 2 and 4) but its still easily the weakest of the big slasher franchises.
I do agree that it's never as bad as the lowest entries in Nightmare or Halloween though. If I had to choose between Freddy's Dead, The Curse of Michael Meyers, and A New Beginning, I'm always going to pick A New Beginning.

Also, 1 is a boring movie, but Betsy Palmer is amazing. I think my big issue with IV is that a lot of people remember everything involving Tommy. But so much of the film is actually about these inconsequential teens who might actually be the worst batch of machete-bait in the whole franchise.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Man, the Curse of Michael Myers is insanely bad but totally worth it to see Paul Rudd embarrass himself in ways I never thought possible.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Oliver Reed posted:

Someone was able to convince Johnny Depp to film a dumb segment so that's a slam dunk for them I guess?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Oliver Reed posted:

It's a decent horror movie for preteens, I guess? The violence is about on the same level as something like The Gate, there's no nudity, and there's not that much cursing.

e: But then you're subjecting the poor kids to Freddy's Dead, so eh.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Man, the Curse of Michael Myers is insanely bad but totally worth it to see Paul Rudd embarrass himself in ways I never thought possible.
Oh, I have empathy for Rudd in that movie. He really doesn't know if his character is supposed to be a creep or a hero which is definitely fair. '

I think he's okay when he plays up his character as a weirdo, but any merit to his performance is overshadowed by how weird it is that he's in that movie. A movie that came out the same year as Clueless.

EDIT: I do appreciate that it feels like Halloween fan fiction in the same way that Jason Goes to Hell is Friday the 13th fan fiction. But it doesn't go as crazy as Jason Goes to Hell with its retcons and bringing in poo poo from Evil Dead.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 27, 2014

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

If we're not including the first entries, I think the best ones are Nightmare 3, Friday VI, and Halloween 3.

And Hellraiser 2.

Critters 2.

Leprechaun in the Hood.

Puppet Master 3.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I really like Friday Part VII just for the fun of Jason vs Carrie. If they couldn't get their poo poo together yet over Jason vs Freddy, I'll take that as an alternative.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If I'm not mistaken, there is also a hilarious head explosion.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Nobody should ever watch The Curse of Michael Myers because Donald Pleasance did not deserve to go out with that as his final movie.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

As I recall he's the best part of it, as by that point Loomis is clearly out of his mind and he's just playing it for all its worth.

Edit: Actually I may be thinking of Part 4 and have completely blocked 6 out of my memory.

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
His crazy is toned down in 6, or, at the very least, he doesn't wave a terrified young girl at Michael's face.