Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I used Facebook a lot for business networking but it turns out bigoted assholes don't really buy anything anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Maybe you should start a gun dealership.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Bubbacub posted:

Maybe you should start a gun dealership.

They don't buy those much, either. Mainly because dealerships are "on the book", and they're paranoid about government tracking.

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.

ultimateforce posted:

I used Facebook a lot for business networking but it turns out bigoted assholes don't really buy anything anyway.
Rascals.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Radical Griff posted:

Crime rates plummeted (and were at a 26 year low by the time he left office) and his gun control policies decreased gun crime by 40% by 2001. He also retooled the military to post Cold-War effectiveness, and if Bush had paid attention to any of the Clinton administration's terrorism reports, 9/11 would have almost certainly been prevented.

He wasn't perfect, but he's probably the best Democrat in Presidential Office in recent history.

Crime rates continued to fall under Bush as well! And Obama! Starting in 93/94 violent crime rates began plummeting and kept on going down, it's a sociological trend that no one has been able to fully explain. Also Clinton's gun measures were as always a feel good measure that did nothing since the vast majority of crimes where a gun is used are with handguns, and the laws didn't affect handguns.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Amused to Death posted:

Crime rates continued to fall under Bush as well! And Obama! Starting in 93/94 violent crime rates began plummeting and kept on going down, it's a sociological trend that no one has been able to fully explain. Also Clinton's gun measures were as always a feel good measure that did nothing since the vast majority of crimes where a gun is used are with handguns, and the laws didn't affect handguns.

There, I explained it. :colbert:

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

Let's not forget about the Telecommunication Act!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Gropiemon posted:

Let's not forget about the Telecommunication Act!

And the DMCA while we're at it.

Basically, Clinton was absolutely terrible for a lot of reasons, but pretty good for a lot of other reasons. Not a saint, just a flawed yet charismatic guy.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Amused to Death posted:

Doesn't it track rather closely with the amount of lead in the environment twenty years earlier? I remember reading a MoJo article where a researcher claimed as much.

e: this one
http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2013/01/lead-crime-link-gasoline

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Mike the TV posted:

There, I explained it. :colbert:

Call a scientist! Quick! It may actually play into it though. Violent crime is often driven by young men, early 90's start coming around and said young men start getting video games, followed by internet. But still, whether it's internet, lead levels, or Freakanomics point of crime suddenly starting to drop 18 years after Roe v Wade, nothing explains it. Even on the city level, no one can really explain why NYC's crime rate has fallen even far more so than the national average.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

this was originally from the Taxation is Theft facebook page. I think this is around a "Holy poo poo gently caress you scum" level of offensive.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Amused to Death posted:

this was originally from the Taxation is Theft facebook page. I think this is around a "Holy poo poo gently caress you scum" level of offensive.
The thing where libertarians compare taxes to theft or slavery is bad enough but... just wow. I mean, there's a conversation to be had about how much taxation is fair and how that money should be spent, but to act like it's some supreme, unjust violation to fork over a portion of your income to pay for some stuff that benefits you AND the society you live in that makes the stuff you do possible, you have to be, well, a libertarian. A person by themselves is an incoherent concept, a business doubly so.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Guilty Spork posted:

The thing where libertarians compare taxes to theft or slavery is bad enough but... just wow. I mean, there's a conversation to be had about how much taxation is fair and how that money should be spent, but to act like it's some supreme, unjust violation to fork over a portion of your income to pay for some stuff that benefits you AND the society you live in that makes the stuff you do possible, you have to be, well, a libertarian. A person by themselves is an incoherent concept, a business doubly so.
Reminds me of the old joke about a physicist trying to heal a sick cow. First step: solve for a spherical, homogeneous cow in a vacuum.

Skeevy Mcgee
Feb 17, 2007

Come out to Israel, we'll get together, have a few laughs...

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

He may be a PoS, but apparently Bibi was a hunky PoS when younger. You should respond with "My mother taught me love over war, I'll take the pot smoker"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Skeevy Mcgee posted:

Come out to Israel, we'll get together, have a few laughs...
:crossarms:

Wikipedia posted:

After graduating from high school in 1967, Netanyahu returned to Israel to enlist in the IDF. He trained as a combat soldier and became a team leader in an elite special forces unit of the IDF, Sayeret Matkal. He took part in numerous cross-border assault raids during the 1969–70 War of Attrition. He was involved in many other missions, including the rescue of the hijacked Sabena Flight 571 in May 1972 in which he was wounded by friendly fire.
I think they're really thinking about his brother, Yoni Netanyahu, who died at the Entebbe raid, from hostile fire. At least in Israel, when people speak about a heroic Netanyahu, they usually mean the older brother. The picture is of Bibi, though, and yes, being unattractive was never an issue with him.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Amused to Death posted:

I'd say more like "Kill yourself you sociopathic scum", but yeah, that's about the time you call them scum and drop out. Also, ask them why VTech, Newtown, etc aren't the price of the 2nd Amendment, why things like the Ford Pinto memo and thalidomide babies aren't the cost of deregulation, etc. Then call them scum who need to eat a bullet.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

darthbob88 posted:

I'd say more like "Kill yourself you sociopathic scum", but yeah, that's about the time you call them scum and drop out. Also, ask them why VTech, Newtown, etc aren't the price of the 2nd Amendment, why things like the Ford Pinto memo and thalidomide babies aren't the cost of deregulation, etc. Then call them scum who need to eat a bullet.
Damned FDA won't let them eat bullets. :911:

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

darthbob88 posted:

Also, ask them why VTech, Newtown, etc aren't the price of the 2nd Amendment,

No, don't ask, you may not like the results, I've unironically heard that about Newtown, Tuscon, Auroa, VT, *insert infinite more* before.

"If 90,000 children must die, it's the price of are freedoms :911:"

It may not even be hyperbole. I remember after Newtown it was often asked that when confronted with the fact 20 children had just been shot up all at once, along with the thousands of others who will be shot every year just not at once, what kind of country would we be if we couldn't in some way reform our gun regulations?" Well we reformed them alright, all gun legislation passed as amendments to other bills since Newtown has loosened gun regulation :v:

Speaking of Newtown, here's a gem that just popped up, with obligatory sheep reference, of course by someone who thinks someone is going to take all our guns

Go to the original post and read the comments, do it :allears:

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Is there a whistle big enough?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Tomahawk posted:

Is there a whistle big enough?

Earlier in the thread someone made a parody of this one that replaced the bottom image with a silhouette of an elderly person.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Such a weird world these people live in where there's more unemployed people than employed people and where all those unemployed people are just riding high on benefits and don't want a job at all. Yeah, when I look around, that's what I see. Jesus gently caress

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

OAquinas posted:

Basically, Clinton was absolutely terrible for a lot of reasons, but pretty good for a lot of other reasons. Not a saint, just a flawed yet charismatic guy.

And since apparently the only alternative to a right-wing Democratic President is a right-wing Republican President I guess gently caress it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Since the Bitcoin thread got locked I don't know where else to ask. What the gently caress is happening that I'm seeing Bitcoins actually mentioned by people I know and why is it the main story on Yahoo.com :psyduck: I feel like an existential crisis is oncoming if Bitcoins actually become "a thing."

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 29, 2013

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Since the Bitcoin thread got locked I don't know where else to ask. What the gently caress is happening that I'm seeing Bitcoins actually mentioned by people I know and why is it the main story on Yahoo.com :psyduck: I feel like an existential crisis is oncoming if Bitcoins actually become "a thing."

they are worth a lot of money right now, at least until the bubble pops I guess

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They're receiving a lot of attention in the media lately, I guess because of its inflating costs and the whole Cyprus bank thing. People are getting caught in the hype.

Shame about the thread, goons ruin everything.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It bubbled up again, to the point where a bunch of early adopters are probably now millionaires. "Look at these random people who made millions!" is always going to be a news story.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Seems like all you can buy with Bitcoin is useless crap, and real money.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

VideoTapir posted:

Seems like all you can buy with Bitcoin is useless crap, and real money.

You can buy tons of useful things.

I mean, if you're a pedophile who wants to branch into heavy drug use as well? Yea, it's a super useful money.

Oh, you mean for functional people, yea it's useless.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Short version is Bitcoins are an interesting thought experiment in digital currency that a group of :spergin: have adopted and created a massive bubble. It's a great sound bite for the media because they can focus on the current exchange rate rather than the huge laundry-list of problems it has.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Let's not get into Bitcoin chat, threads get closed for a reason so we might as well not go back to that. If you want more info there's a website maintained by a goon:

http://buttcoin.org/

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012
The week in LL101:

No Monday meme, here's some timeline stuff instead:

Media Bias.

Minimum wage.

Help Help I'm being repressed.

Liberal... something.

Gays stealing our words.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Let's not get into Bitcoin chat, threads get closed for a reason so we might as well not go back to that. If you want more info there's a website maintained by a goon:

http://buttcoin.org/

I think they closed it because some assholes were hacking random people's bitcoin wallets, not because of conversation about Bitcoin itself. Not entirely sure though because they instituted a "no-questions" policy on the thread closing :negative:

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

Sir Rolo posted:

Gays stealing our words.

Shazaam! is pretty gay though.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sir Rolo posted:

Minimum wage.

I thought the argument was that the minimum wage was fine if you lived within your means or a stepping stone to a better life. Have they just gone full evil and now admit that it's well below the poverty line but gently caress you that might hurt The Almighty Economy if we raised it?

It's a lovely picture regardless since if you lower the boat a few feet so that rung is under the poverty waterline it's still floating so I have no idea.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sir Rolo posted:

Minimum wage.

The higher we raise the minimum wage, the higher the economy will be lifted. A Good Liberal Logic.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

No, no if you raise the minimum wage the economy AND the poverty line will be raised so people will still be poor regardless; I guess you have to chop off the ladder and I'm not sure what that symbolizes, maybe letting people starve/drown.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Metaphors are usually awful but seriously goddamn I cannot understand that one. If we raise the minimum wage the boat will float higher so the poverty level gets higher to adjust? The minimum wage WILL reach the poverty line therefore removing it? Man can't raise the water level ergo he can't raise the minimum wage? What?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They think raising the minimum wage to liveable levels would cause a 1:1 inflation/wage increase ratio, so in effect no one's real wages would really go up and everything would be more expensive. Nightmare Zimbabwe and Germany inflation scenarios then go nuts in their heads.

They call it Econ 101 to be clever because they heard "when everyone gets more money, it's worth less" in high school, but really they're just mocking themselves because if they really took Econ 101 they'd know better. People earning minimum wage and the prices of stuff don't exist just by themselves in a vacuum.

That analogy would only work in some sort of commune (or economic vacuum hypothetical for the purposes of explaining inflation to new people) where everyone only got paid X and all the prices reflected those wages, but if one day everyone got X + 10, the prices would all increase accordingly so really everyone's purchasing power stays the same.

It's also stupid to assume companies don't already cut labor expenditure to the bare bone. Since they're trying to make a profit, and all. When I worked at Domino's, there was one guy just slapping out pizza dough all rush during a busy Friday. He got paid minimum wage + $0.50, but if suddenly Domino's had to pay him $10-$12, they'd just have to eat it because what's the alternative, have no one slapping out the dough? There isn't just an extra guy there for shits and giggles but 'oh, the minimum wage increased, I guess we'll have to get rid of that second guy now. What are profit margins and labor percentages? :downs:'

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Metaphors are usually awful but seriously goddamn I cannot understand that one. If we raise the minimum wage the boat will float higher so the poverty level gets higher to adjust? The minimum wage WILL reach the poverty line therefore removing it? Man can't raise the water level ergo he can't raise the minimum wage? What?

For a little bit I thought it was supposed to be purposely obtuse and was some kind of satire, but no, I guess not. :smith: