Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

caligulamprey posted:

That thing would never come off my head except for the fact when I took it off at the end of the night the condensation build-up was absolutely outrageous and I ain't riskin' that sick autograph.
i would suggest spraying a clear coat over it for protection either way. Also that’s insanely cool and i’m mad jelly :whip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Fake James posted:

I have a pair of Pioneer CS-R570 speakers that I am looking to get rid of and pick up some bookshelf speakers in their place. They sit in a 12'x15' room so I don't really need massive floor speakers, and I will be moving across the country next year so I want to minimize what I can.

Can anyone recommend a decent pair of bookshelf speakers around $100-150? I didn't see a thread for speakers so I thought I would ask here. I saw these but I always prefer goon opinions tbh

I just realized these speakers are powered. Does this mean I should not attach my receiver to it and that I can just plug my turntable directly into them? I've only ever owned unpowered before. It is an SL-1200 MkII and a Quartz SA 410 receiver.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 16, 2019

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
unless the speakers have a phono level input (unlikely, and even if they do it is going to be bottom of the barrel quality) you will still need something like your receiver to pre amp the signal up to line level.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Fake James posted:

It is an SL-1200 MkII

That's junk you should just mail that to me.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
After reading about how combining powered speakers and a receiver can potentially damage equipment, I ended up going with a pair of Micca MB42X passives instead of messing with that or figuring out if people are exaggerating the problem. Sounded like the concern was an amplifier + an another amplifier is a bad mix, and I didn't want to drop the money on a pre-amp if my receiver still works.

If this is a stupid decision I can always return the stuff, thanks Amazon!

CPL593H posted:

That's junk you should just mail that to me.

Tempting... but nah...

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I was digging around in crates all morning for something else, but when I came up empty-handed at least I had this Devo record in my hands for half-off retail (those Futurismo releases are loving pricey).

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

I was digging around in crates all morning for something else, but when I came up empty-handed at least I had this Devo record in my hands for half-off retail (those Futurismo releases are loving pricey).

That's definitely my favorite of their recent vinyl releases. I'm still surprised they ever pressed that show. The packaging is neat, too.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

wa27 posted:

That's definitely my favorite of their recent vinyl releases. I'm still surprised they ever pressed that show. The packaging is neat, too.
I don't think I had even heard this one until now and I was blindsided by just how loving on point "Secret Agent Man" was when everything else was slower and a little sloppier (as pre-'78 material tends to be).

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Did they have anymore copies of this album at that price?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

if anyone bought Desert Sessions 1 and 2 and wouldn't mind selling me the FLAC code shoot me a PM :)

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Did they have anymore copies of this album at that price?
Nope. Crossroads is a collection of vendors under one roof and it's really a Right Time Right Place situation, but you're always bound to find one of your white whales whenever you go.

I still regret not throwing down the $60 for that self titled Frogs album. Also $35 for the Crispin Glover record but goddamn it, the corner was cut.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Nope. Crossroads is a collection of vendors under one roof and it's really a Right Time Right Place situation, but you're always bound to find one of your white whales whenever you go.

I still regret not throwing down the $60 for that self titled Frogs album. Also $35 for the Crispin Glover record but goddamn it, the corner was cut.

35 bucks for that Crispin Glover album is a really good price and who gives a poo poo about corner cuts?

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

CPL593H posted:

35 bucks for that Crispin Glover album is a really good price and who gives a poo poo about corner cuts?

That’s about how much I spent for my copy and it’s hella worth it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The Senator Giroux posted:

That’s about how much I spent for my copy and it’s hella worth it.

The only copies I ever see online are 50 and up, I've never seen it in a store. And yeah that album rules.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

This was years ago when I was even poorer than I am now so my reaction was "I'm not paying thirty five loving dollars for damaged goods, that's a week of groceries."

This is a mistake I still think of to this day, obviously.

CPL593H posted:

And yeah that album rules.
Quite possibly the best Barnes and Barnes record. If not the most consistent.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

This was years ago when I was even poorer than I am now so my reaction was "I'm not paying thirty five loving dollars for damaged goods, that's a week of groceries."

I've never cared much about cutouts or the condition of the covers unless it's completely trashed. Obviously if there's a choice I'd pick the better one but ultimately it's about the music.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

It’s good, but not Spazchow good.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The new Dan Deacon record is up for pre-order. Limited edition silver vinyl with a 24"x24" double-sided poster. Releases January 31st.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YsvMbX-F7k

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Here I bought some records recently.

Booji Boys loving rule!!!!!!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-YUVl57SH8&t=714s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQdg-rRItsE&t=1039s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv6rmzD3tyg&t=1285s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGRvxJV9Cqs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aryBt9QzFWk

I bought this Neo Neos 7" because it looks like the Erik Nervous 12" and I thought it was meant to be

Boff from Chumbawamba was in Passion Killers :shobon: And No Sir I Won't is maybe a play on Yes Sir I Will?? I will have to find out!! And some more cool album art from Neo Neos, wow.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Double feach that OOIOO album with The Residents' Animal Lover for maximum gamelan action.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Just got a shipment notification from Matador and I didn't remember ordering anything from them for like a year, turns out it's Gene Clark's No Other from 4AD :cool:

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008
attention anyone itt who doesn't care about the SACDs included with their No Other LE bundle: please sell them to me

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

An album so nice they... Accidentally sent two copies.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

An album so nice they... Accidentally sent two copies.

Nice! Did you get the chance to check out his set at Desert Daze? I've been listening to his stuff a lot since you dropped that link in the Ween thread.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Enos Cabell posted:

Nice! Did you get the chance to check out his set at Desert Daze? I've been listening to his stuff a lot since you dropped that link in the Ween thread.
I only managed to catch the last 20 or so minutes since it was up against The Locust. I stumbled into him doing a cover of "I Will Always Love You" which was absolutely bananas. Just like Ween, him having a backing band really opens up the material. Definitely catching a full show as soon as he hits the Pacific Northwest again.

He's pretty much all I've been listening to since Desert Daze. The Soft Hair collaboration is also worth checking out, lots of Prince vibes on that one.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Well, I've found the stupid box set I'll inevitably buy once I get my bonus this year. An annual tradition.

https://www.motorhead79.com/browse/motorhead-79-vs-usa/products/1979-box-set

2 great albums, a single, an outtake album, and 2 double live albums...I've basically convinced myself this is almost worth the cost (it's cheaper on Amazon, with free shipping thankfully).

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 31, 2019

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Seriously considering hitting the Pinback show specifically just to grab a Rob Crow box set.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

Well, I've found the stupid box set I'll inevitably buy once I get my bonus this year. An annual tradition.

https://www.motorhead79.com/browse/motorhead-79-vs-usa/products/1979-box-set

2 great albums, a single, an outtake album, and 2 double live albums...I've basically convinced myself this is almost worth the cost (it's cheaper on Amazon, with free shipping thankfully).

Just buy six copies of the Hawkwind Silver Machine single.

fake edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11_nsW151tg

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
anyone else thinking of getting that Beatles singles set? Usually a 7" box set is a definite no-go, but new mono masters + the international art + only like ~9 CDN per vinyl makes it tempting.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The Walrus posted:

anyone else thinking of getting that Beatles singles set? Usually a 7" box set is a definite no-go, but new mono masters + the international art + only like ~9 CDN per vinyl makes it tempting.

You can just get the mono version of Past Masters for much cheaper. It's an all analog pressing from the original tapes too.

edit: Okay, yeah I just looked it up and Mono Masters is less than half the price of that box set. There are a handful of songs omitted from that release because they were only ever mixed in stereo. But it's not exactly hard to find a 7" with Ticket to Ride or Old Brown Shoe (which is my favorite Beatles B-side).

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 31, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

caligulamprey posted:

Seriously considering hitting the Pinback show specifically just to grab a Rob Crow box set.

I mean Pinback's a good show too...but they have spare box sets to sell at those shows?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

I mean Pinback's a good show too...but they have spare box sets to sell at those shows?

I bought one a few months back at their show, but supposedly it was the last one they had. It's number 473 of 475.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
They bring 3 to every show and the third to sell is always The Last One

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Who wants a record of chainsaw sounds?

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/produc...&utm_term=broad

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

This fad has officially jumped the shark.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CPL593H posted:

what a cutting remark

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
For a semi serious answer probably foresters and those who enter lumberjack competitions. And an ex of mine who collected chainsaws, though it was mostly a different brand.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

CPL593H posted:

Pretending like there haven't been novelty records since forever

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

There was a solid decade-plus before the RSD release in 2018 where this super dancey remix album was the only way you could hear the Warner Bros. album in any official capacity. I never picked it up until tonight because there was a limited edition Euro release that came with a bonus RMX: Remix second LP and I didn't want it unless I could have the whole shebang. Eh. That's silly. It's mine now.

Nail Rat posted:

I mean Pinback's a good show too...
Pinback good, but in a list of Rob Crow projects I would like to see live, Pinback is on the bottom (which honestly isn't a slam since all Rob Crow projects are the best).

The top of course being The Devfits where he covers Misfits in the style of Devo and Devo in the style of Misfits.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Nov 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Jackyl