Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

As long as I can reach the bars over my beer gut, I can point my Harley at the nearest bar.

And that is the story of how ape hangers were born.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

And that is the story of how ape hangers were born.

What about the tassles? The only things I see with them are bicycles marketed toward little girls and cruisers.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

I told her that you don't need to be particularly fit to ride

Riding a dirt bike is like wrestling a bear. My wife started going to the gym like crazy only after we got our dirt bikes and we both sort of realized "this is hard work." The first couple times we went out, it was pretty embarrassing.

Street riding, different story. I'd estimate that any tiny twig of a person could put a tipped-over 800lb bike onto its wheels. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5k4Uj3YTnY

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Riding a dirt bike is like wrestling a bear. My wife started going to the gym like crazy only after we got our dirt bikes and we both sort of realized "this is hard work." The first couple times we went out, it was pretty embarrassing.

Street riding, different story. I'd estimate that any tiny twig of a person could put a tipped-over 800lb bike onto its wheels. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5k4Uj3YTnY

No, I've never ridden dirt before. I realise that it involves a lot of physical fitness. I'm hoping that when I eventually get a dirt bike and the means to transport it, it'll encourage me to get fitter.

Pope Mobile posted:

What about the tassles? The only things I see with them are bicycles marketed toward little girls and cruisers.

Much like the bright colour of a poisonous frog, they are an immediate warning sign that the rider is a moron and should be avoided.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

No, I've never ridden dirt before. I realise that it involves a lot of physical fitness. I'm hoping that when I eventually get a dirt bike and the means to transport it, it'll encourage me to get fitter.

I think "encourage" is a weak word for it. First few times out, I literally could not walk the next day.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Are you familiar with the term "arm pump"? If not, buckle up, its gonna be fun!!

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Are you familiar with the term "arm pump"? If not, buckle up, its gonna be fun!!

Rock climber here. Not sure if I've experienced that or not but it sure sounds fun!

Also, I feel like rock climbing would be good cross training, as it's forearms, hand and core strength, and teaches balance and body positioning skills that would probably make you more sure when shifting weight on a bike. Only thing I can really think of that doesn't get used climbing that you might riding dirt is legs. Throw some squats in and you're set!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah, dirt riding works the heck out of your thighs.

See:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Only thing I can really think of that doesn't get used climbing that you might riding dirt is legs.

If you're not using your legs rock climbing you've realllllly got to work on your technique. Your legs are the biggest and strongest muscles in your body, and the quickest way to get pumped out way too fast is climbing with your upper body rather than your legs. The easiest way to tell a beginner from an experienced climber is how well they utilize their legs, hips and core. There is not nearly as much upper body strength required to climb really hard as most people think. Some of the hardest sport climbers in the world are teenage girls (like Sasha DiGiulian) and guys that any gym-goer has bigger arms than (like Adam Ondra).

Edit: To not totally derail, have some knee dragging:

Guinness fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 11, 2013

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Guinness posted:

If you're not using your legs rock climbing you've realllllly got to work on your technique. Your legs are the biggest and strongest muscles in your body, and the quickest way to get pumped out way too fast is climbing with your upper body rather than your legs. The easiest way to tell a beginner from an experienced climber is how well they utilize their legs, hips and core. There is not nearly as much upper body strength required to climb really hard as most people think. Some of the hardest sport climbers in the world are teenage girls (like Sasha DiGiulian) and guys that any gym-goer has bigger arms than (like Adam Ondra).

Edit: To not totally derail, have some knee dragging:

I'm an instructor and setter so I I would hope I would know this haha. Though our strongest climbing setter's advice to climb hard is cut feet as much as possible, and dyno ( to jump to a hold for those who don't know the lingo) everything so maybe... No, you're exactly right, though the reason one is able to conserve energy through good footwork is because unless they're totally out of shape most people's legs are strong enough to climb at a higher level than their arms and core are ready for. At higher levels you'll do more awkward high steps, heel hooks and bicycles (pinching a hold with your feet) but that's way beyond your average climber, and still the strength you gain doing that aren't anywhere near what you'll need or get from MX. And while they're small and skinny Ondra and Digiulan have incredible strength to weight ratios that allow them to climb like they do. If they were bigger they would need to be more muscular like Chris Sharma, for instance.
Pro level I don't think you could do both (leg muscle like Tara Geiger would be just excess weight on the wall), but I still think rock climbing would be a good off season training routine with some lower body resistance training for MX.

Here enjoy some idiots doing idiot things that make me want to go ride immediately.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg1Wv-tdwkA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fER2hlIODzg

Covert Ops Wizard fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 12, 2013

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

The trike chat in the discussion thread reminded me of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwNJ-DIt1J0

Doug Henry is paralyzed from the waist down.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Some slowmo dirtbike action from Romaniacs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TlkAXUPeTg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TlkAXUPeTg

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=073_1373825691

I'm not exactly sure what was going on here, but brake checking a car while on a motorcycle takes a special type of stupid.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I lost it when the dude got out and looked at the front of his car, hands on his hips. In his position I'm not sure I'd be primarily concerned with the rider either.

Who knows what happened before hand, but the rider's response to it was monumentally stupid.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

nsaP posted:

I lost it when the dude got out and looked at the front of his car, hands on his hips. In his position I'm not sure I'd be primarily concerned with the rider either.

Who knows what happened before hand, but the rider's response to it was monumentally stupid.

Hilariously stupid.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Before:

After:

Put in a stock fender, got all the blinkers on and wired, stock swing arm, new tires, oil change, etc.

I still need to raise the triples/clip ons though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

EX250 Type R posted:

Before:

After:

Put in a stock fender, got all the blinkers on and wired, stock swing arm, new tires, oil change, etc.

I still need to raise the triples/clip ons though.

It still boggles me that anyone would go to the trouble of stretching a thundercat. To contain all that monumental power?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
beats me

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

hayden. posted:

beats me

Hahahahahahaaaa. How to turn a perfectly nimble learner bike into a paperweight.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

hayden. posted:

beats me

Nothin' beats a sure thing, and if you gotta keep that front down...

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Should just replace the clutch with an on-off button. No way you're going to wheelie that.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I went on a kickass weekend trip to yosemite and came upon this amazing thing in a parking lot

Also saw lots of rad adventure bikers and went on the longest twisty I've ever been on (unfortunately in a car though). Would recommend A++

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
Dumb question: Do they make extra long chains for extended swingarms or do you have to buy 2 and combine them?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

velocross posted:

Dumb question: Do they make extra long chains for extended swingarms or do you have to buy 2 and combine them?

Chains usually come much, much longer than you need for most bikes; I've fitted chains where I had to cut 14 links off so that ninja at least could have a very long standard chain. I imagine in extreme cases you would have to lace two together though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

STS-107*, the motorcycle. I wish you got a better picture of the front fender, I can't tell who those people are.

*Columbia disaster

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Please tell me the left box was the Challenger crew.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That first picture I posted is the only shot I have that (sort of) shows the left side, but yeah I'm pretty sure it was the challenger crew.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

M42 posted:

That first picture I posted is the only shot I have that (sort of) shows the left side, but yeah I'm pretty sure it was the challenger crew.

That's so tacky it wraps back around to hilarious.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe9OnXpGqMc&feature=c4-overview&list=UUAJIlizAGBLPg8Uy8oJcXyw

My favorite is the at ~4:20, my guess is he is trying to pull up a wheelie and losses his grip. Hilarious.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe9OnXpGqMc&feature=c4-overview&list=UUAJIlizAGBLPg8Uy8oJcXyw

My favorite is the at ~4:20, my guess is he is trying to pull up a wheelie and losses his grip. Hilarious.

These videos have driven home to me that Kia cars are bizarrely popular in Russia.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Slavvy posted:

These videos have driven home to me that Kia cars are bizarrely popular in Russia.

These videos have driven home to me that I should never, EVER drive in Russia.

Bikers over there must be absolutely insane with a massive deathwish.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

These videos have driven home to me that I should never, EVER drive in Russia.

Bikers over there must be absolutely insane with a massive deathwish.

This will blow you away: the way you think of bikers in Russia is the way the average person in the street thinks of you.

Murdercycle.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Slavvy posted:

This will blow you away: the way you think of bikers in Russia is the way the average person in the street thinks of you.

Murdercycle.

:ohdear: But isn't that dangerous?
:clint: Yeah, but I always keep my donor card with me.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

So many "How the gently caress?" moments. I absolutely love the full-dress bicycle at 6:20. Isn't it Russia where everyone has a camera on their car/bike due to police corruption?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Gweenz posted:

So many "How the gently caress?" moments. I absolutely love the full-dress bicycle at 6:20. Isn't it Russia where everyone has a camera on their car/bike due to police corruption?

It's mostly because of insurance scams.

They'll swoop in front you and jam the brakes, causing you to hit them. Then 3-4 big burly guys get out and demand compensation or else. A dash cam is a deterrent.

Even if they don't make you pay up on the spot with threats of violence, without the camera it's your word against theirs. Insurance companies in Russia are notoriously lovely and will just assign in the laziest manner possible, which means the car in back will always be found at fault, no matter the situation.

Having dash cam footage forces the insurance company to assign the blame correctly.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Am I bad because I laughed at the fireball and the guy running away on fire into the distance? :ohdear:

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

slidebite posted:

Am I bad because I laughed at the fireball and the guy running away on fire into the distance? :ohdear:

You're not alone is all I'll say. I burst out then immediately felt bad.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Slavvy posted:

Chains usually come much, much longer than you need for most bikes; I've fitted chains where I had to cut 14 links off so that ninja at least could have a very long standard chain. I imagine in extreme cases you would have to lace two together though.

You can buy motorcycle chain in huge spools. A lot of the places on ebay that you can buy chain from just have like a 100' spool that they cut some off of.

Sorry for the interruption, have a pic of a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://vimeo.com/70035072