Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Thats come up a few times in here and in the HCH tools thread.
I keep meaning to pick one up, but I'm lazy.

Yeah, that banner is annoying too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Buy one, they're definitely trail life savers. I keep one in the Jeep.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I can't wait to repair the minivan with literal baling wire!

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

They require a bit of practice to use, but the ability to make clamp equivalents of essentially (total wire length /2) size is neat.

the main drawback is you need the space to swing the clamp tool on whatever you are clamping. with screw band clamps you can slide the clamp into tighter spots.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Well, I just impulse bough one of those.
Two actually. A kit plus a single tool.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Uh, is it not just like two safety wire things put together? Not trying to be difficult about this, but what’s the advantage over just using regular safety wire twist pliers twice?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I've wanted one of those for ages and I can never quite commit to it. It costs about twice what I'm willing to pay.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

builds character posted:

Uh, is it not just like two safety wire things put together? Not trying to be difficult about this, but what’s the advantage over just using regular safety wire twist pliers twice?
This site has a secondary picture that shows the output pretty well. All of the wraps are evenly tensioned, and that whole wrap is one connected piece. They're very solid - I've got a couple vent hoses that I attached 6 years ago with them and they're just as tight and secure (very) as they were the night I did them.

I won't swear you couldn't do it with safety pliers, but I don't honestly see how.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Shop vac ratings nonsense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM4SMQGMFz8

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Clamp tite is a bit expensive. Time to go all out in the shop and make your own (I bought the $30 one at some point but haven't given anything the clamps yet).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRc7ZDRcgrQ

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Started watching Big Timber on netflix this week.

That operation is sketchy as gently caress. Their running on a shoestring budget with extremely questionable maintenance is pretty much exactly what I imagine. I'm more surprised they are as open as showing it on TV as they are.

About halfway through an episode where they were working on a sawdust take away conveyor that is a disaster waiting to happen. And a sawmill band saw that doesn't really cut through a log so much as burning its way through a log.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 12, 2021

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

builds character posted:

clamp tite enables you to put more tension on the wire than you could just pulling and twisting.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

the spyder posted:

I'm aiming for a Black Friday deal.

Though I've found in my reading, the Rigid I have is highly recommended. Maybe I just need to spring for a wall mounted vac. My main issue is the drat things gets kicked around the shop. A wall vac would solve that, provide tool and hose storage. If I need to take one out of it's reach, I have the small rigid or a older 16gal craftsman from our barn.

https://www.amazon.com/Bissell-Garage-Wall-Mounted-Vacuum-18P03/dp/B003R3JFJO?th=1

I'll keep reading.

I wonder if you could put a sub chamber on the giant woodworking dust collector. Run a tiny hose off of it.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I might take a spare gate and just try sucking through one of the existing shop vacs (as a collections method). We already own it, so it would make sense.

Plus who doesn't want a 2HP (nearly trips a 20AMP breaker, thanks Harbor Freight) vacuum cleaner.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

as discussed upthread, that's a feature!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

slidebite posted:

Started watching Big Timber on netflix this week.

That operation is sketchy as gently caress. Their running on a shoestring budget with extremely questionable maintenance is pretty much exactly what I imagine. I'm more surprised they are as open as showing it on TV as they are.

About halfway through an episode where they were working on a sawdust take away conveyor that is a disaster waiting to happen. And a sawmill band saw that doesn't really cut through a log so much as burning its way through a log.

The countdown to the OSHA crackdown is ticking down. Watch the first season of Deadliest Catch, or many other "blue collar" shows, then watch a few seasons later. Surprise! poo poo gets safer. The dumb gold rush show had a ton of fines issued and the dredges all got USCG'd up the rear end.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Have you seen it? It's amazing.

Work Safe BC (BC enforcement body) must know about it. They've got everything in this show. Incredibly worn out and sketchy rusted power transmission, mobile equipment that he bought at the auction for nothing and keeps them running with dreams and bubble gum and flips out when they don't, the owner climbing into confined spaces (pontoons of a sunken barge which is literally scrap) with absolutely zero safety equipment, nobody else there but presumably the film crew, except once where his buddy (literally, friend) came with him. Fire hazards left and right at the sawmill. It's amazing. Just watched an episode where a radios weren't working for communicating with the crew choking logs (super dangerous job on a good day), thought it was a blown fuse so the owner wrapped the 1A fuse in foil in effort for them to keep working. I mean, yeah, people do that poo poo (including using 22 shells) but documenting it and putting it on TV as your companies safety standards are just :psyduck:

Earlier, maybe even that same episode the owner says "SAFETY WITH ME IS NUMBER ONE!!" :downs:

I mean, it wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if I see him putting a step ladder on a forklift and a milk crate on top of that to get to something. For real. Dude is sketchy as hell.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Any recommendations for a sand blasting setup?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Oh, you've got it all wrong. It's not the actual motor power they're measuring. No way. 4.5HP is the number of horses you can scare when you turn on the vacuum.

Is the half horse a pony, a mule, or a centaur?

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Ahahahaha all these people complaining their industrial lump of metal was USED because it didn't come with a cosmetic finish.

(the minivan needs some nose rings to go with the new bumper)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I was going to say “gently caress Amazon because I know for a fact that they’ve sent me customer returns as ‘new’ before”, but that thing is sold by and ships from a third party, so whatever, it probably is just normal wear from being throw in a bin with its brethren.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

We sell those. Guaranteed you are correct.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

two_beer_bishes posted:

Any recommendations for a sand blasting setup?

I have the Harbor Freight benchtop cabinet and their dust extractor, it’s a nice combo. Get some cheap magnetic flood lights to put in there.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ryanrs posted:

Ahahahaha all these people complaining their industrial lump of metal was USED because it didn't come with a cosmetic finish.

Our safety guys were all :supaburn: because apparently there's a counterfeit market for those. Considering the quantity of counterfeit goods that goons report from Amazon I look elsewhere for any rigging.

Edit: In reference to Crosby shackles for the dear reader who doesn't want to click the link. A personal pet peeve of mine, the link spoiler.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
With how sloppy Amazon is on keeping tabs on counterfits buying safety gear from them should go in the OSHA thread.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I usually get my rigging supplies from US Cargo Control, prices are decent and as far as I know they don't have a counterfeit problem.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Ha! I usually get my rigging stuff from them, too. Thanks for the reminder that I shouldn't trust Amazon for anything safety critical.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

ryanrs posted:

Oh my god we need to sell distressed off-road gear so people can bolt on that it's not a mall crawler cred.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

ryanrs posted:

Thanks for the reminder that I shouldn't trust Amazon for anything safety critical.

That is what ebay is for :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

honda whisperer posted:

Oh my god we need to sell distressed off-road gear so people can bolt on that it's not a mall crawler cred.

I hate you for thinking of this but I want in on the profits

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Have a certificate of authenticity stating it was damaged in Moab on a rock crawling XJ and has authentic Utah dirt on it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

honda whisperer posted:

BigPaddy posted:

Have a certificate of authenticity stating it was damaged in Moab on a rock crawling XJ and has authentic Utah dirt on it.

I bet those are marketable ideas. Beadlock wheel sets with authentic Moab rock stuffs, guards and overrider hardware with bangs and scratches from trail use... I bet someone with the location viability could make that into a business.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Big Taint posted:

I have the Harbor Freight benchtop cabinet and their dust extractor, it’s a nice combo. Get some cheap magnetic flood lights to put in there.

Thanks for the info, I need to measure the stuff I want to clean up to make sure it'll actually fit into a cabinet, but I'm pretty sure a couple of them won't so I might end up getting something more portable that I can use with larger parts (or already installed on a vehicle).

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

meatpimp posted:

I bet those are marketable ideas. Beadlock wheel sets with authentic Moab rock stuffs, guards and overrider hardware with bangs and scratches from trail use... I bet someone with the location viability could make that into a business.

Next you’re going to tell me people will buy jeans with holes already in them.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Supposedly there are bikers out there who take sandpaper to their knee pucks for the street cred

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

two_beer_bishes posted:

Thanks for the info, I need to measure the stuff I want to clean up to make sure it'll actually fit into a cabinet, but I'm pretty sure a couple of them won't so I might end up getting something more portable that I can use with larger parts (or already installed on a vehicle).

Ya definitely get the biggest cabinet you can fit, I would have one I could park a car in if I had space. My tip for that particular one is to use a ton of media in it because the bottom has rather shallow angles so it shoals up on the sides.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I've never had the room for it but I wish I had made room for a media blasting cabinet a decade ago. I could have saved so much time cleaning stuff!

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
What kind/size of compressor would you use for a benchtop or stand alone blast cabinet?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

honda whisperer posted:

It hasn't been used for offroad (well, for anything that has wheels) but I've got some used shackles, straps and some other random rigging and winching poo poo that would probably fetch decent prices from riding the mall hard bro types.

Also got some really used up carhart pants and hi-vis shirts. I hear those can fetch a decent price too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

LobsterboyX posted:

What kind/size of compressor would you use for a benchtop or stand alone blast cabinet?

I have a Gast compressor that puts out about 12cfm at 90psi and it's adequate, it feeds a 20ish gallon tank. You can definitely feel a difference between a full and empty tank even with that output, but it still pushes media pretty well running continuously.