Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Any posters / lurkers here involved with the UFCW strike against Stop & Shop? I'd love to hear an insider perspective on what's going on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Change that to "my horrific medical complaint".

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I really try my best to be patient with old people carrying on and on and on about their medical problems, because it genuinely seems to be the only thing the vast majority of old people ever want to talk about, their need to have other people listen to it in detail seems unquenchable, and based on all available evidence I have to admit that, however unlikely it seems to me right now, when I am old I too will probably obsessively share my physical suffering in minute detail with everyone in earshot, all the time.

I hope to the Forgotten Gods that I at least will be able to refrain myself from unloading it on every retail employee I encounter. But, you know, if my family all avoid me and I can’t afford a therapist and I need a human being to listen to me complain about my medical problems in the same sense that I need to eat, what else can I do but corner retail employees who aren’t allowed to make up an excuse and highball it far away from me, like everyone else does?

I mean, I could talk to other old people, who can’t outrun me. But you can hardly squeeze a word in edgewise what with all their complaining about their own medical problems, the selfish assholes.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
My job being what it is, I'm torn.

Some people just want to talk. Some people need to talk. And that's- fine. If it weren't for the internet, I wouldn't have any friends outside of work; there's nothing to do and nowhere to go in this hick rear end town. I'm lucky I have computers. The fifty, sixty, seventy year old who doesn't? Yeah. Their life just gets smaller, every day. Their husbands and wives die. Their children move on. Their pets perish. I have some degree of sympathy for them, even the angry ones.

But that doesn't give them the right to run up and smash their septic secrets across the back of my head like a Dollar Store colostomy bag full to bursting.

And if I'm coldly honest, it isn't my job. I've got things to do. If it were in my job description to provide some sales floor therapy, I'd do it. But I've got too little time to do too much work. I don't even have time for the customers I want to talk to.

Go to a bar. Tip heavily. Bar tenders are therapy jukeboxes that are five dollars a track.

The average retail employee doesn't have the time, money, or willpower to deal with their own problems; they don't need yours. :tif:

Now, if I was paid to do nothing but walk around and hand-hold customers because robots were doing the actual work, welp

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I like old people. The crankier the better. They wax romantic about picking berries fresh and other wholesome poo poo that younger generations will never do. And when they're all whiny I just tease them.

"Excuse me these strawberries look horrible"

"Okay you big baby I'll go grab the ones in the field behind the store"

And that usually rolls into a conversation about how weather affects crops and other fruitful (heh) conversations about why not to be a big baby about produce because for gently caress sake you used to grab wild berries that could have been pissed on my some drunken idiot for all you know lol. It's surprisingly easy to pivot from "you have bad product" to "the world is going to poo poo and it's all because of The Government or whatever"

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

got my big boy store keys today. learning how to do the morning paperwork and the money stuff :sigh:

shittiest thing about being a manager is now I'm the closest manager to the store (I'm literally across the street) so if the alarm goes off at 3am, I have to walk over and check it out.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

And if I'm coldly honest, it isn't my job. I've got things to do. If it were in my job description to provide some sales floor therapy, I'd do it. But I've got too little time to do too much work. I don't even have time for the customers I want to talk to.

The average retail employee doesn't have the time, money, or willpower to deal with their own problems; they don't need yours. :tif:

:hai:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Went to do shopping today.

Two registers open on a Sunday afternoon.

Lines running deep.

Store manager on a register when I came in, store manager on a register when I left.

:yeshaha:

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
It makes me feel good to know that other shifts have also completely given up at my store.

Today I’m not caring, and thus far it’s been pretty great.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Pentaghastly posted:

It makes me feel good to know that other shifts have also completely given up at my store.

Well done, it took some time but you got there.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Pentaghastly posted:

So what's causing this complete lack of fucks? Store shutting down or management being shocked that there is a breaking point that once you cross your employees tell you eat poo poo?

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Has the tread title ever been "Try not giving a poo poo" because I feel like it's the best advice to give at this point

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its also pretty good advice for life.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

Alkydere posted:

So what's causing this complete lack of fucks? Store shutting down or management being shocked that there is a breaking point that once you cross your employees tell you eat poo poo?

The realization that there is nothing we can do to fix the problems at our store, that our manager and his superiors are incompetent, and that some rats are already jumping this sinking ship and it’s time we do the same.

Also I filled out a lot of job applications last night and I’m optimistic.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Leal posted:

Its also pretty good advice for life.

if you see Buddha on the sales floor, kill him

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

if you see Buddha on the sales floor, ignore him

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

https://www.foxnews.com/health/forcing-a-smile-at-work-linked-to-drinking-report.amp

In other news, water wet, air required for breathing.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Worked handing out food samples for three years. Three years of being the Walmart Associate favorite person (here, have this entire burger I just cooked and am too lazy to cut up) but having to please every gormless shithead customer. It's FOOD SAMPLES how loving hard can it be to eat and nod as I say "if you like this, it's on aisle whatever"?

Never loving again. I worked a kitchen job and now work deep in the dusty bowels of an Amazon FC to avoid that poo poo.

I'll admit there was the occasional one was fun. A few of the ice cream ones on hot Texas days, and one of the days where I was showing off single serve coffee machines when they were knew was cool because I was the most popular dude in the store and everyone wanted just wanted free ice cream. Most of the others just dragged on and some outright sucked. Like the OTHER one I was supposed to show off another single-serve coffee machine and some Walmart associate nicked it thinking "Oh the sample people already did a show with this, they won't need this again."

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Pentaghastly posted:

Also I filled out a lot of job applications last night and I’m optimistic.

Yesssssss. You are valuable , and if Starbucks doesn’t respect that , someone else will.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
More fun manager stuff.

Okay, I closed with one other person two days last week because one of the primary closing baristas quit and we couldn’t get anyone to cover her.

That was fine, because the other closer is great and I don’t ever have to tell him what to do because he’s already got it done by the time I’ve thought about it. And business was super slow.

What you may not do, is deliberately schedule me with one other closer because you’ve been too lazy to replace the girl that quit. You basically just deleted her name off the daily coverage report and said “this is fine. Penta will have no complaints”

Somehow I knew this would happen when I told him the next day about my two-man close. I never should have said it wasn’t that bad. He took it and ran with it.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
The problem with being halfway up the chain of command is being responsible for all of the problems with none of the authority to fix them.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The problem with being halfway up the chain of command is being responsible for all of the problems with none of the authority to fix them.

Yeah but you have the authority to create them which is good fun watching the minions squirm.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Yeah but you have the authority to create them which is good fun watching the minions squirm.

Most people who are vaguely experienced and aware who are in Pentaghastly's position either know, or figure out, that doing this can be entertaining but will mostly just make your job harder and your migraine larger.

It's like setting fire to your neighbor's house: funny, until the wind picks up.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I just pissed my store manager off real bad and I'm glad.

Last week at Smith's/Kroger, baby!

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Star Man posted:

I just pissed my store manager off real bad and I'm glad.

Last week at Smith's/Kroger, baby!
I got two weeks before I go to night crew to free up my days to find another job. I get an interview this Thursday to possibly get hired in a non-retail job. I could possibly quit this job almost right away, but it's hard to dump 19 years of seniority and experience.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ijii posted:

I got two weeks before I go to night crew to free up my days to find another job. I get an interview this Thursday to possibly get hired in a non-retail job. I could possibly quit this job almost right away, but it's hard to dump 19 years of seniority and experience.

What happened was that I got rehired to work for the city this year doing parks labor for another season. I came up to tell my store manager about it and that it starts on 21 April. I wanted to see if I could still work on Saturday and a couple of nights a week. She got mad at me because they have schedules made two weeks out and told me that I should have told my new employer that I need to provide two-week's notice, so I can just nit bother coming in anymore next week.

The HR manager had to talk to me and wasn't thrilled with my SM's reaction and my lead CSM isn't happy that I'm leaving but us also confused by the SM's reaction. My HR manager understands why I want to do it because I told her it's guaranteed forty hours per week and pays better, but I wanted to work here part-time as well. I want to do that so I can save up every cent I can to move out of home and Wyoming and it's easier if I have a second job to save that money.

Oh well. gently caress em.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Star Man posted:

What happened was that I got rehired to work for the city this year doing parks labor for another season. I came up to tell my store manager about it and that it starts on 21 April. I wanted to see if I could still work on Saturday and a couple of nights a week. She got mad at me because they have schedules made two weeks out and told me that I should have told my new employer that I need to provide two-week's notice, so I can just nit bother coming in anymore next week.

The HR manager had to talk to me and wasn't thrilled with my SM's reaction and my lead CSM isn't happy that I'm leaving but us also confused by the SM's reaction. My HR manager understands why I want to do it because I told her it's guaranteed forty hours per week and pays better, but I wanted to work here part-time as well. I want to do that so I can save up every cent I can to move out of home and Wyoming and it's easier if I have a second job to save that money.

Oh well. gently caress em.

they would never give you the same courtesy anyway so yeah gently caress em.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I mean, why should I quit when it's convenient for them? If I did, I would leave this place in a body bag, even if what I was doing was climbing the corporate ladder.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

I mean, why should I quit when it's convenient for them? If I did, I would leave this place in a body bag, even if what I was doing was climbing the corporate ladder.

gently caress em, you did the right thing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
lol, why are we even having this conversation, what they think doesn't matter at all.

Congrats on getting gone from that shithole!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Eric the Mauve posted:

lol, why are we even having this conversation, what they think doesn't matter at all.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Eric the Mauve posted:

What they think doesn't matter, but it is mildly entertaining.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
When last I left my department, the number of outs I had could be counted on one hand. Not bad, considering the number of SKUs I have to deal with.

So they cut my hours, because, of course they did.

So after two days of nobody working my backstock, I'll be in to throw a truck. Then I'll be gone another day. And on my next day, I work another truck.

It'll be five entire days, an entire loving work week, before anyone works my back stock. Masterfuck schedule, A++.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Weeee clopening because my department opener just went to the hospital with pneumonia and I'm the only other person available to open on Wednesdays.

Seriously though there is some sort of plague is ravaging my department and I hope I don't get it. One of the other closers got it while I was on vacation then gave it to our supervisor.

Pneumonia has a 100% mortality rate in my family.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
I just made a convenience store clerk's night a little easier. Grabbed a six pack of beer, set it on the counter and tipped it on its side.

The UPC lined up with the scanner and beep there ya go. He smiled and said, "Nice"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Welp, I just sat around while on the clock doing jack and poo poo for three hours at Amazon tonight because our facility just done broke.

12-1 AM: The flat sorter (sorts all the small outgoing packages, most of which are flat hence the name) is down. Turns out a package fell off the machine and nearly burst into flame from the friction before facilities could find it.
1:10-ish AM: The collector belt for the Ship sorter (takes shipments too big to fit on the flat sorter) breaks. This is a giant belt that collects all the work and tosses it onto the ship sorter so nothing can go to it until it's fixed. This is serious enough that in less than 5 minutes Management goes "Right, early second break while Facilities (hopefully) fixes this!"
2 AM: poo poo's still broke
3 AM: poo poo's still broke and managers have run out of stuff for us to do to even look like we're busy.
4:15 AM: Management finally gives in, throws up their hands and basically shouts "WHO WANTS TO GO HOME SO WE CAN STOP PAYING YOU FOR TONIGHT?"

This is gonna cause a massive backlog and headache that's gonna take a day or two to sort out but...I honestly don't care. My time off for tomorrow is already confirmed and locked into the computer, and the next three days are my normal weekend.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

those daycrew bastards had it coming

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Yeah since the managers were bored I got one to explain what the gently caress has been going on and why our start of shift is such a mess.

Mainly it comes down to corporate management on high has decreed that orders will be packed and gone within 3.5 hours of being made by the customer instead of 4.5. So at the end of the day when everyone gets off work/school is the giant daily peak of business. Since there's an hour less of flex time it hits the end of day shift harder when they have the most attrition, and the beginning of night shift harder. Also day shift is so big that their end of day attrition of people going "I'm tired man" or "gently caress this, I'd rather be home than here" is nearly the size of our entire pack crew.

On the plus side, this means two things:
1) For the first time in nearly two years, my FC will actually start hiring for night crew. If you, or anyone else you know, lives in or near San Marcos TX and needs a job, Amazon will likely be hiring soon.
2) You, the customer, now have your dildos leave the FC within 3.5 hours of you hitting the buy button online to get your product to the distributor (FedEx, Postal Service, Amazon Last Mile) faster.

Still gently caress dayshift. They were leaving messes behind for months and management didn't care until this new system update came down and made everyone run around screaming in panic.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hey work love you guys but calling me on both of my (three) days off asking if I can come in is hilarious. (I usually work Sun/Wed/Fri as well as Thur/Sat.) Good luck tonight (and as a sidenote: don't call me at 7pm thanks)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My first position at where I work I would randomly get calls at 5 am to be asked to come in in an hour. Like yeah no, it was my day off, I'm staying awake the night before. If you still need someone in like 6 hours sure but I need my sleep.