Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Medium Style posted:

I'm still grateful that this thread recommended Concordia for me. This past weekend, my wife and I played it 4P with another couple that doesn't play a lot of strategy games. The husband is the kind of player that wants to figure out a winning strategy and score points, but the wife tends to lose focus on the objective of whatever game we are playing and develop her own meta-goals, things like "get all the purple ones" or "get enough pieces to arrange in a fun shape" or whatever. That usually means she lags behind, but it turns out that her meta-goals for Concordia were things like "buy all of the Jupiter cards" and "build in all of the food/wheat cities (she had the Farmer card)". She ended up doing really well and said she really enjoyed it.

Were you the one requesting a 2p game that played friendly with a view towards "I want to build up stuff and have a big empire of stuff by the end!!"? If so, glad to hear it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Nah that was me a year ago and it's also still one of my favorite dang games, even though we've moved on toward loving more brutal games like Caylus as well.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

OmegaGoo posted:

I have played with people who actually can't contingency plan like that. Out-of-game experience shows me that they can't hold more than one thought in their brain at a time, though, so that makes sense.

... at least, until it turns out that these people are not the people with AP problems.

:iiam:

I suppose I could do it, I just do not want to. I also game to have fun. I am someone who wants some brain burn, but I also do not want to spend the entire 2-3 hours staring at the board making contingency plans. I would rather try to take a look at it when it is my turn and make a fairly quick decision on what seems to be an intelligent move (even if not perfectly optimized).

The whole, "Make plans with contingencies," thing is a step too far for me to enjoy things typically. I want to think, but I do not want to spend a ton of time thinking about things that could be rendered pointless by an opponent's move.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Medium Style posted:

Could anyone please recommend a new two-player game for me and my wife? Our current favorite is Keyflower but we have been playing the hell out of it and I'd like a new option.

-Keyflower, Castles of Mad King Ludwig, and 7 Wonders (with more people) are big hits.
-Castles of Burgundy and Roll for the Galaxy are both just "okay".
-Tash Kalar was too frustrating for her.

I don't know what that says except I'm probably looking for a Euro-y game where you build something and make long term plans. It's also very important to my wife that there is some sort of hidden or end-game bonus scoring so that it's not obvious when one player has fallen way behind.

Any ideas?

Nah I meant this post. :3: (misremembered the exact request, natch, was "hidden endgame scoring")

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
There is a new FFG Star Wars game: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/11/3/star-wars-rebellion/

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Wait, it actually *is* the same general idea as the Rebellion computer game that was buggy and terrible and I still enjoyed it?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

I like the fact that the words "designed by Corey Konieczka" are practically hidden in the corner of that box.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lichtenstein posted:

I like the fact that the words "designed by Corey Konieczka" are practically hidden in the corner of that box.

Is that good or bad?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lichtenstein posted:

Pay no attention to the man behind the Death Star.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The computer game was pretty much a board game and yeah kinda fun even with its many shortcomings.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Holy crap. It looks like Twilight Struggle mixed with Forbidden Stars. It has a Death Star unit that can blow up planets. I'm so in.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

silvergoose posted:

Wait, it actually *is* the same general idea as the Rebellion computer game that was buggy and terrible and I still enjoyed it?

Yeah, only with a healthy dose of tiny cards with lots of boring text like "Add 2 to your die roll" on them.

gonna reinstall Rebellion once I find the cd

edit: second result for "Corey Konieczka" on google is a bgg thread titled "Corey Konieczka? so bad!"

PlaneGuy fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 3, 2015

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

silvergoose posted:

Yeah that game had so many problems but I couldn't stop playing it. I'm going to be all over this game.

Bottom Liner posted:

Holy crap. It looks like Twilight Struggle mixed with Forbidden Stars. It has a Death Star unit that can blow up planets. I'm so in.

There's actually two death star models, one from ANH and the one from Jedi, my immersion will not be ruined.

Rad Valtar fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 3, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

StashAugustine posted:

Is that good or bad?

I think he's something akin to a lead designer at FFG. The game that was most notable for me that he was front and center on was Eldritch Horror, which I think he did an admirable job streamlining from Kevin Wilson's design while still basically maintaining the essence of the game, for better or worse. I obviously don't know the specifics of design that were his vs. the rest of the team, but it was a good job.

Here's his BGG page/gameography: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/6651/corey-konieczka Looks pretty hit and miss, but I think I've enjoyed his designs for the most part, even if none of them are my favorite game ever.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

I think he's something akin to a lead designer at FFG. The game that was most notable for me that he was front and center on was Eldritch Horror, which I think he did an admirable job streamlining from Kevin Wilson's design while still basically maintaining the essence of the game, for better or worse. I obviously don't know the specifics of design that were his vs. the rest of the team, but it was a good job.

Here's his BGG page/gameography: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/6651/corey-konieczka Looks pretty hit and miss, but I think I've enjoyed his designs for the most part, even if none of them are my favorite game ever.

IMO his greatest achievement has been BSG. For all it's warts, it's hard to find a clear replacement and a lot of his peers in this category have just outright failed

edit: my biggest concern with this star wars game is whether it's 4+ hours. I admire the games but admit to myself that it just won't get played much at this point in my life

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 3, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

IMO his greatest achievement has been BSG. For all it's warts, it's hard to find a clear replacement and a lot of his peers in this category have just outright failed

edit: my biggest concern with this star wars game is whether it's 4+ hours. I admire the games but admit to myself that it just won't get played much at this point in my life
4 hours isn't that long all things considered :v:

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Basically, if you like Fantasy Flight's board games in the post-Kevin Wilson era, you like Corey Konieczka. He's about half the active catalog: Eldritch Horror, Mansions of Madness, BSG, Descent 2e, Imperial Assault, Warrior Knights, et cetera.

Whatever isn't Konieczka is either a Kevin Wilson/Tom Jolly artifact that won't die, a musty reprint from Knizia/GW/Avalon Hill, or a fluke crossover from another division of the company. (CEO Christian Petersen did A Game of Thrones, one-man LCG churn Eric Lang did Chaos in the Old World and XCOM, and RPG guy Jay Little did Blood Bowl Team Manager.)

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 3, 2015

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

I wonder how involved certain designers really are for some of these games. Do they just have a team of people doing a lot of the designing and they just sort of give general ideas and oversee parts of the design? Do they then just slap their name on the box in order to associate someone with a name with that game?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

^^^ Pretty involved at the beginning, I think. I've listened to interviews with Corey K and Eric Lang, and that's the impression I get. I think what's common with the 'living' games though is for these guys to be involved at the beginning and then step down

Gutter Owl posted:

Basically, if you like Fantasy Flight's board games in the post-Kevin Wilson era, you like Corey Konieczka. He's about half the active catalog: Eldritch Horror, Mansions of Madness, BSG, Descent 2e, Imperial Assault, Warrior Knights, et cetera.

Whatever isn't Konieczka is either a Kevin Wilson/Tom Jolly artifact that won't die, a musty reprint from Knizia/GW/Avalon Hill, or a fluke crossover from another division of the company. (CEO Christian Petersen did A Game of Thrones, one-man LCG churn Eric Lang did Chaos in the Old World and XCOM, and RPG guy Jay Little did Blood Bowl Team Manager.)

Christian Petersen did TI, too, right?

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 3, 2015

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

fozzy fosbourne posted:

^^^ Pretty involved at the beginning, I think. I've listened to interviews with Corey K and Eric Lang, and that's the impression I get. I think what's common with the 'living' games though is for these guys to be involved at the beginning and then step down

Christian Petersen did TI, too, right?

Yep, forgot that one.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Basically this. That's the general difference between a designer and developer: the designer will do the initial leg-work in making a technically functional game/system/rule set/whatever, and often a lot of (if not all of) the initial content, while developers come in and, well, develop that content into the best possible version of its self, and subsequently develop more content for the system. You'll always see Eric Lang credited as designer for most of their LCGs for example, but they likely have a completely separate in-house team who develops new content for expansions and such, who are credited separately.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

PlaneGuy posted:

Yeah, only with a healthy dose of tiny cards with lots of boring text like "Add 2 to your die roll" on them.

gonna reinstall Rebellion once I find the cd

edit: second result for "Corey Konieczka" on google is a bgg thread titled "Corey Konieczka? so bad!"

You can buy it for $6 from good old games if you can't find your CD

Also, I used to be a FFG fanboy and bought up a lot of their games, but the last few years they kind of lost me. I really hope this Rebellion is a good game because I have no interest in spending the kind of money FFG expects me to on Imperial Assault or the X-Wing or Armada miniature games.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

drat Dirty Ape posted:

You can buy it for $6 from good old games if you can't find your CD

Also, I used to be a FFG fanboy and bought up a lot of their games, but the last few years they kind of lost me. I really hope this Rebellion is a good game because I have no interest in spending the kind of money FFG expects me to on Imperial Assault or the X-Wing or Armada miniature games.

Are your tastes changing or do you just not care for their current crop of games?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Their Euro line is encouraging. Hopefully they keep releasing quality stuff like Samurai/T&E and don't get into second rate Knizia.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

T-Bone posted:

Their Euro line is encouraging. Hopefully they keep releasing quality stuff like Samurai/T&E and don't get into second rate Knizia.

I would like a copy of Stephenson's Rocket but it would be full of plastic trains and crap. Too bad I don't live in Europe or I could get a used copy for like 20 bucks.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Anyone have experience with Clockwork Wars?

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

LongDarkNight posted:

Anyone have experience with Clockwork Wars?

Kind of meh. Huge price for a very meat and potatoes area control

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

cenotaph posted:

Are your tastes changing or do you just not care for their current crop of games?

That's a good question, and it's probably a little bit of both. To be fair, I haven't played Forbidden Stars or Xcom, but I find with the limited amount of time I have to game anymore I just don't have the time for a lot of FFG staples like Game of Thrones, Twilight Imperium, War of the Ring, or Descent. I guess I just feel like some of their games cost so much and yet still feel like they need expansions and/or extras to 'complete' them that I'm often better off (though this has been a FFG complaint for a long time).

It's not that I dislike them, it's just that I realized that I hadn't purchased a FFG game since BB: TM was released a few years ago when I used to be the guy who would buy a large percentage of their 'major' releases (heck, I still have my copy of the 1st edition of Twilight Imperium with all of the expansions). It just feels like lately the bulk of their business model is now selling miniatures and expansion packs to Star Wars fans. I'm sure that Xwing and Armada are good games (as are a lot of the LCGs), but I'm a fan of buying a complete game in a box, with the option of an expansion if I really like what it has to offer. I don't really like the idea of having to buy more minis or cards just to keep up with the other players (I was never a fan of Magic or any other CCG).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gutter Owl posted:

Of those six games, four rework older games. Eldritch reworks Arkham, Descent 2E and Imperial Assault are both based on Descent 1E and Warrior Knights is a straight reprint of the 1980s game with a few tweaks. Of the other two, Mansions is broken out of the box and BSG is overlong and flawed. This doesn't make me want to trust an original IP with his name on it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

medchem posted:

I wonder how involved certain designers really are for some of these games. Do they just have a team of people doing a lot of the designing and they just sort of give general ideas and oversee parts of the design? Do they then just slap their name on the box in order to associate someone with a name with that game?

Richard Garfield still personally draws every single Magic card, to this day.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

drat Dirty Ape posted:

That's a good question, and it's probably a little bit of both. To be fair, I haven't played Forbidden Stars or Xcom, but I find with the limited amount of time I have to game anymore I just don't have the time for a lot of FFG staples like Game of Thrones, Twilight Imperium, War of the Ring, or Descent. I guess I just feel like some of their games cost so much and yet still feel like they need expansions and/or extras to 'complete' them that I'm often better off (though this has been a FFG complaint for a long time).

It's not that I dislike them, it's just that I realized that I hadn't purchased a FFG game since BB: TM was released a few years ago when I used to be the guy who would buy a large percentage of their 'major' releases (heck, I still have my copy of the 1st edition of Twilight Imperium with all of the expansions). It just feels like lately the bulk of their business model is now selling miniatures and expansion packs to Star Wars fans. I'm sure that Xwing and Armada are good games (as are a lot of the LCGs), but I'm a fan of buying a complete game in a box, with the option of an expansion if I really like what it has to offer. I don't really like the idea of having to buy more minis or cards just to keep up with the other players (I was never a fan of Magic or any other CCG).

Aside from Chaos in the Old World, which really opened me up to the world of boardgames as something other than time-wasters when people didn't show up for rpg night, I haven't played much of their catalog. I had one terrible session of Descent 1e over a decade ago, played AH once or twice and bought the Warhammer Invasion core but nothing else. I ask mostly because my tastes have changed quite a bit over the years and it's interesting to see if/how other peoples' change as well. Every once in a while I look at one of their games and have a craving for a big ameritrashy experience and then I remember I have Mage Knight which is enough for me in that regard, and probably better designed to boot. If my group is going to sit down and play something for six hours it's going to be an 18xx or a wargame.

I do look longingly at some of the LCGs but I have neither the player base nor the funds to really get into one. I also wonder if I actually want the experience or if it's just nostalgia (something I am not prone to) since I was a CCG kid back in the 90s. I'd probably be best off if someone released a stand-alone game that was basically a MTG cube.

X-Wing minis is something I would have spent too much money on when I was 15.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
X-Wing minis is something I spend too much money on because I've been a 15 year old for the past 16 years.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

T-Bone posted:

I was wondering the other day what their next game in the euro line would be. BGG had a thread of high possibilities based on licenses owned and unutilized/out of print.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I find myself attracted to the living games for the competitive scene and spectator nature of it, as much as actually competing myself. For example the Wold Championships are coming up for Netrunner, X-Wing, Conquest, and A Game of Thrones 2nd Ed and I'm pretty hyped to watch some of these events. I watched a few hours of a big invitational Netrunner tournament a couple weeks ago with the current World Champ commentating and it was pretty fun. It's interesting to watch the games evolve, almost like a big sociological experiment.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Poopy Palpy posted:

X-Wing minis is something I spend too much money on because I've been a 15 year old for the past 16 years.

I don't think there's anything juvenile about it I just stopped playing minis because I have a bad back and knees and I would probably get really pissed at the dice anyway.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

cenotaph posted:

I don't think there's anything juvenile about it I just stopped playing minis because I have a bad back and knees and I would probably get really pissed at the dice anyway.

You . . . you're supposed to play it on a table, not on the floor.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Also you can sit in a chair.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Trust me, it just doesn't work.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
As someone who semi-regularly Wangs, yeah, you can start off sitting down but there's inevitably a certain amount of "get up and walk around the table to better see how you're going to get around that asteroid and to move your stuff now that it's all the way over on the other side of the field."

Getting pissed at dice is also a potential hazard...sometimes the dice just screw you, though it's still a game that strongly rewards player skill as the idea defense is not getting shot at in the first place and a good player is capable of stacking the odds in their favor through careful planning, out-thinking their opponent, and judicious use of abilities and upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, the fact that the same guy has won the championship two years in a row (as well as a bunch more events) suggests to me that for all the dice in X-Wing, luck is a significantly lesser factor than player skill.