Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
I don't know what I'm doing differently vs folks who are having trouble, but I've stopped having issues with timeouts. I can't remember the last one I actually had.

temple posted:

I 100% agree. I think the problem for me is the game is boring. Some people consider it easy thus boring but I consider it unremarkable thus boring. If relationships were better in some way, it would make runs special and different from each other. Otherwise, relationships are like quirks++.

I've never lost to the exemplar and only had him kill a character once in a random 1 in 100 chance scenario. He crit a defended person while also hitting the defender, bypassing the defense token. The next action was the crit person on DD and they immediately failed the DD check from a dot. It was definitely a :aaaaa: moment.

I didn't have a good suite of options for clearing marks and applying blind at first, then on round two got savagely ratfucked on Death's Door for a full party wipe. Nowadays, it's not nothing, but it's not as much of a gently caress-you-in-particular threat as it was when I had my first confrontations.

EDIT: Forgot to add about relationships-- yeah, exactly. The other thing is that a lot of the affliction dialogue was specific to a character, and actually gave you insights into who they are/were. The relationship dialogue, by contrast, is shared between them, with only a few barks that are personalized to any given class. So that removes a lot of potential color from the interactions, and with the affliction-style dialogue stripped, there are less opportunities for the characters to be-- well. Characterized.

Personally, I'd like to see if they can work afflictions back in - not the least because I really deeply dislike that breaking point causes immediate loss of relationship - but all the variables involved in the relationship/quirk system would almost certainly make that a nightmare to figure out/navigate in a way that would turn out satisfying.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
One loss, and another win against Focused Fault. gently caress that guy. Either you you manage to get *all* the eye symbols on someone who can spam themselves block+ tokens, or you don't, and in that case you simply die.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
https://twitter.com/DarkestDungeon/status/1622642005095636992

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Seems surprisingly fast. I wonder if they're planning to have all five chapters, and some new characters, or if that'll continue to be added over time.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Seeing as further chapters need just one boss each, some new narration and art, I'd imagine they'll get chapters done, but I wouldn't be surprised if we only got one new hero before the 1.0.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

DD2 demo is on Steam. Just 4 heroes: PD, GR, HWM, and MAA. 5 base skills. Tried to kill Harvest child 1st encounter. You can guess the rest.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

temple posted:

DD2 demo is on Steam. Just 4 heroes: PD, GR, HWM, and MAA. 5 base skills. Tried to kill Harvest child 1st encounter. You can guess the rest.

Yeah that encounter doesn't gently caress around. Yeesh.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Guess who's back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD-R-mdgumY

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Shocked that they brought her back especially with how hard they've nerfed literally any skill to heal your party lol.

I gave the "new" DD2 update/reform a try and was pleasantly surprised by just how sparse the conversation/relationship stuff was, genuinely like 70% less than how it used to be. Was doing well until the Man-At-Arms died in freak back to back crits and then finally wiped at the final cultist encounter in the 2nd biome.

I think my one biggest sticking point is some of these enemies realllllly don't need Death's Door. You can really experience some serious bullshit with either Round 5 ending and you get nothing or an enemy just stubbornly hangs on for like 3 attacks, which is some exceptional bullshit. Game already has enough difficulty and this feature for so many bigger enemies really isn't needed, especially when cultists more often than not spawn with one of those blob fuckers that pumps buffs AND regen on them to prolong their lives anyway.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Way back when the beta started, the devs said vestal and crusader were the boring 'generic' heroes and were surprised people wanted them back. There is an innkeeper and named elite similar to her.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

DLC Inc posted:

Shocked that they brought her back especially with how hard they've nerfed literally any skill to heal your party lol.

I gave the "new" DD2 update/reform a try and was pleasantly surprised by just how sparse the conversation/relationship stuff was, genuinely like 70% less than how it used to be. Was doing well until the Man-At-Arms died in freak back to back crits and then finally wiped at the final cultist encounter in the 2nd biome.

I think my one biggest sticking point is some of these enemies realllllly don't need Death's Door. You can really experience some serious bullshit with either Round 5 ending and you get nothing or an enemy just stubbornly hangs on for like 3 attacks, which is some exceptional bullshit. Game already has enough difficulty and this feature for so many bigger enemies really isn't needed, especially when cultists more often than not spawn with one of those blob fuckers that pumps buffs AND regen on them to prolong their lives anyway.
As I've mentioned, the rewards for time limited fights are negligible anyway and not every road fight is limited like this. DoT and AoE is your friend.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

I’m not seeing how that answers “these mechanics are unfun when put together”.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Vestal in DD2 is pretty good. With buffs, her health and damage is respectable. She's a lite tank like hellion but at home on the back row. She replaces the PD, which after a year of PD as the sole healer is so so good. Her support and unique mechanics are different but cool. She has her own form of unchecked power that is easier to combo than combo. Every 2 or 3 turns some moves hit harder. And she can buff a rank for offense or defense. Either way, she always has something to do as compared to PD just adding more blight stacks. Good job!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I haven't gotten to try her yet but her version of unchecked power makes sense because in the data there was an unused token strongly suggested to be Vestal related.

Only bummer about her release is that I really hoped there would have been more new heroes at this point instead of bringing old ones back. With Jester and Leper they certainly improved them through the sequel but Vestal is like reinventing the wheel considering her previous utility.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
It is profoundly lame that there's A new hero.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Vestal's pretty interesting. Her Paths change how her skills work *a lot* (you can pick a path at the Crossroads, and then look at the skills to see what changed).

On unrelated note, gently caress the Focused Fault. If you get unlucky with initiative order and the eyestalks dodging you at the worst moment, you can end up screwed even if you were actively trying to collect the gaze tokens on your tank.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Warden posted:

On unrelated note, gently caress the Focused Fault. If you get unlucky with initiative order and the eyestalks dodging you at the worst moment, you can end up screwed even if you were actively trying to collect the gaze tokens on your tank.
I haven't and won't attempt that boss.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
I've beaten the fucker twice, but first time was before Red Hook decided to give him 50 extra hp.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Coming back to this after like 7 months or so, I feel like this game was more fun before and now you can't do jack poo poo without a bunch of metaprogression unlocks.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

WarEternal posted:

Coming back to this after like 7 months or so, I feel like this game was more fun before and now you can't do jack poo poo without a bunch of metaprogression unlocks.
Its true. Grinding for candles is a thing. The difficulty feels off because once you get unlocks, its gets hella easier.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm definitely anticipating a cycle new game where you focus on candles and unlocking skills to get to a point where beating the full game feels more doable. Fortunately, once you reach the chapter boss you keep all the candles you accumulated up to that point so getting trashed by the boss isn't that huge of an opportunity cost. Getting 100+ candles a run is definitely feasible and you'll likely bag at least 60 by finishing the chapter.

It definitely affects the difficulty curve. Paths are locked behind metaprogression and some paths have excellent synergy with other heroes and paths. One gripe I have is that they heavily nerfed some of the more fun paths to balance them with the passive stat progression unlocks along the way. But I don't really feel like those offset it because they're all defensive boosts like resists.

Last I saw, they are also the same for each hero I think when it would have been more interesting to have each one to be unique or further improve existing skills in some novel way.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Protip: When you unlock new items/consumables they get added to the random pool for loot and store items. You also get a free one that run!

If you get particularly useful consumables early on, it could be prudent to hold off unlocking the rest because you'll have a much higher % of seeing the good item;unlocking everything dilutes the drop rates among less useful items.

As an example I got lucky and unlocked Assay Gear as a wagon upgrade, which greatly boosts relic drops. By avoiding unlocking more wagon unlocks I ensured the initial vendor would have it for sale. Getting it right away gets the biggest benefit and I can rely on having that benefit more or less every run, saving those candles for other upgrades instead.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

WarEternal posted:

Agreed, the candle system sucks and isn't fun.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It's a tremendous improvement over the previous metaorogression!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I liked it way better when I could start a new game and have a chance at winning. It felt like a smaller, bite-sized version of Darkest Dungeon. Now the game also takes 100 hours to beat, like the first DD, but with much less persistence of the characters.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Chamale posted:

I liked it way better when I could start a new game and have a chance at winning. It felt like a smaller, bite-sized version of Darkest Dungeon. Now the game also takes 100 hours to beat, like the first DD, but with much less persistence of the characters.

Yeah, exactly this. They literally ported over the entire reason I didn't like the first game into the framework of the 2nd one.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Couple of more victories under my belt, all Trinkets, Combat items, Inn items and Stagecoach equipment unlocked.

Which might actually become a problem some point in the future when you run out of things to spend you Candles on. Also, getting copies of the items you unlocked carried a couple of runs hard, since some of the later Trinkets are bananas.

Like, Sparkleball is "Add a 15% chance for Daze, Blind, Weak, and Vulnerable to all attacks" which is crazy when you slap that to a any character with multi-hit skills, with Plague Doctor's Magnesium Rain taking the cake. Curing Cuppa (chance to apply 3 Blight on every hit) + Poison Ring (if Noxious item equipped, chance to apply 2 blight on every hit and +% blight chance) is also an insane combo for Alchemist PD.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Redemption Road will launch on the Experimental Server today 3/16. Last update until release

Some reddit comments explained the wagon + changes:

quote:

Stagecoach focused - they wanted to make driving feel like dd1's walking, but felt it was lacking since so much could happen while walking but not much happened while driving. They also don't want to make dd2 a "driving game". Maps now look quite similar to DD1's walking paths now, with events that'll happen on the road clear and also with faster, better navigation. You now have things such as "Oblivion Tears" and "Combat Routes". Oblivion Tear roads and nodes increase Loathing. No more round limits on road fights. Apparently torchlight was changed too (Couldn't write down what exactly it was, sorry).

One of the driving system additions is that now you have wheels and armor. If you have full armor your Heroes receive Shield Tokens on combat start. If you don't have Wheels your Heroes receive another type of penality (sorry, couldn't write down what it was exactly). Armor protects against "attacks" that you can suffer on roads now. On the Wainwright in the Inn you can repair wheels and shield on your coach. You can also possibly recover them on assistance encounters. When you run into a hazard (one of the possible road occurrences that may affect your Stagecoach) when you have no protection you are ambushed and one of your heroes need to repair the stagecoach (they can't do anything but repair the cart, think of it as a random Stun that happens every turn). As Bourassa put it, it's a shorthanded fight against thugs. The fight will end when all the enemies are defeated. Another occurrence was mentioned where Heroes were afraid of being "left behind" and are stressed constantly (couldn't write it down since the stream kept shorting out, sorry).

Loathing - Completely Reworked - When Loathing gets maxxed out the boss will "affect" the team and the more it gets filled the stronger the boss becomes.

Pets were added - You don't receive them straight away but when you get to the first Inn you can select which you want to use. The selected pet was a "reanimated rabbit" that looks like a rabbit (gasp) with something sprouting from its back. It buffs your party the more Food you have. Once you equip a Pet it's there for the entire expedition. If you purchase a pet but do not equip it they will expire.

Altar of Hope - First thing that you're gonna run into when you finish a run now. Characters will get memory slots by completing boss kills.

The Valley - Significantly shortened. Increased the potential difficulty ceiling on the Valley (enemies meshes, as in, what enemies will spawn and how many of them). The Inn is now your main "shop" in the Valley. There are also a lot more available items on it. You now receive 5 mastery upon completion of the Denial Valley, this change was made in order to ease the difficulty of the Denial chapter, even more so in later Regions. Denial confession will only be 2 regions and will not require a boss trophy at least for this patch. In Denial only the Tangle and the Sprawl are available. If you complete the Sprawl first you need to then complete the Tangle to then arrive at the Mountain and vice-versa.

Questions/Miscellaneous: On DD1 characters returning: no real plans to make everybody into an enemy. Antiquarian became an enemy because she was the most "ethically compromised" Hero. Bourassa considers Antiquarian to be on the opposite of Leper, as in, Leper is the most "Good" and Antiquarian is the most "Evil". No changes to Infernal currently. No chances at all to allow more of the same Hero in a party. Unique corpse art is planned. Butcher circus is not currently planned for dd2 but it isn't out of the current concensus of the game.

Even more miscellaneous: Bourassa has never played Bloodborne. Also never watched GoT. Bourassa is personally very proud of how many adult themed DD mods exist and has even showed his wife some of them. Bourassa enjoys seeing Jester laugh after getting hit. Bourassa recounts how he saw "the crow" in high school and immediately designed the Jester as this "gritty, urban defender". The Reanimated Rabbit was the chosen Pet for the run that was played and it was named "George".

temple fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 16, 2023

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Valley: They should have made the Denial chapter valley longer not shorter. Give new players a breezy sluice length region, fully scouted with one of each node you could potentially visit along forked paths so players know what to expect. Give them fixed 5 mastery points at the end. Rest of stuff the same. Then chapter 2-5 it is abbreviated. Chances are you'll be repeating those chapters when trying to progress anyway, or farming candles from them. So it'll make more sense to not need a 'tutorial' at that point.

Pets: sounds fun, apparently they give fixed bonuses and scaling bonuses based on # of certain category items you have stocked up. Good because inn items are dead weight until you can reach the next inn, might as well help you in some way.

Wagon changes: sounds interesting I'll look forward to trying it out.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

The Valley is super short now, at least on denial

This is what the road looks like

The wagon drives itself but I still held it down
Path choices require a hold interaction like choices, so no more missing turns

Armor and wheels are fixed with relics at the inn
Arrows shot out from the path and hit the armor
Armor gives a block token
Wheels gives + to road heal

Loathing starts at 0 and builds up when certain paths are taken. Fights still lower it
No more round limits, feels really weird
Haven't see the wheel hazards
Haven't seen pets

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Wheel hazards are Rough Ground or something like that. Assist encounters can repair wheels and armor so are pretty useful nodes if you're down to 1 or 2.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Patch notes for the Experimental Redemption Road

Lots of changes. Road changes explained fully. Grave Robber has the Vestal treatment with skills being replaces with some paths. Really its just increased crit :smith: Quirks will have more interaction in encounter choices, particularly with assist encounters. Torch is heavily favored to be a choice when low (thank gently caress). Torch does more now with providing buffs/debuffs

temple fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Mar 20, 2023

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
liking some of those changes, gives some depth at least on paper and the memories change is a welcome one, but I'd also make more memories playable too

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
There's a lot of indirect buffs in the update. Having free block tokens from max armor and blind procs from max torch can really smooth out tricky fights.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Has anyone played the Darkest Dungeon 1 overhaul mod Black Reliquary?

Marbozir seems to love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWjIFkMc_6o

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Have they reigned in that stupidly horny artist?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Live on retail

https://twitter.com/DarkestDungeon/status/1641505074991218693

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Samovar posted:

Have they reigned in that stupidly horny artist?

What does your heart tell you?

The mod seems cool though, I saw another streamer playing it and I want to try it now. The first turn damage penalty seems like a really good idea.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Some of the rooms or enemies in the mod weren't rendered properly, showed as all white hitboxes when I played, not seen an update yet, but the graphics and design are like that other guy said, could have passed off as Red Hook's stuff, except hornier. Not as bad as some of the other mods on there but still different to the original's aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

The road update is good. The pace feels way better, like new players won't appreciate it. There's no longer items in every pile of debris on the road. Its mostly currency, maybe food, and fights might rarely give a trinket. No more deleting items every 15 seconds of travel. Inns give bigger quantities and slightly more item variety. So money feels slightly better but trinkets are still stingy for the amount of baubles you might have.

The emergency repairs fight is cool. Its feels more like DD1 in needing to do something at critical points on your journey. I guess its supposed to spawn a mini-boss, I keep getting antiquarians. Once again, needing to scout hazards/ambushes makes them feel rng based so you can repair and immediately hit the same hazard and render the repairs moot.

Pets aren't a big deal so far but they scale on stagecoach items. So maybe I'll notice their impact when stacking those items. Interesting change because I never bothered thinking about stagecoach equipment.