Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Great Beer posted:

It runs​ 2 LPL just fine.

And nothing else. The K-9 has enough hardpoint variety to run builds other than tanky annoying poke-bot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
LPL/ML + 4MG R60 is a god of war with its armor quirks. The K9 is going to be taking people to the dumpster via 5mpl trashcan fury.

The grasshopper is going to be the IS's PPFLD answer. It doesn't seem to have super high firing points, but it'll be like a knockoff night gyr. I'm expecting that it won't be that bad.

I think the black knight is just going to be a brutal crushing machine, because an AC20 and 6ML with arm swivel on the ac20 is mean as gently caress.

The kaiju gives a preview into what they're likely going to be buffing the king crabs with, which is going to be converting structure bonuses to armor. It'll be good for them, but I don't know if it'll be enough. The kaiju itself can do a silly PPFLD build with 2 gauss/2ppc on a deadside and just crabwalk into people. Probably won't be very good though. Also with structure -> armor, the king crab is going to die horrifically to backshots from lights.

The wolfhound is a wolfhound with ecm :effort: and the panther is pretty much just another panther :effort:

The enforcer and crab aren't anything special either ecm on the enforcer, two ballistic slots on the crab that it can't really afford the weight to use.

The mauler may be the IS scorch if the LBX20 is 1 slot less and 1 ton lighter, otherwise it's really poo poo.

The zeus MAY have the potential to be a really good brawler because of MASC and 4 ASRM6s. With the LBX20 coming out it may be able to do LBX20/2 ASRM6s/2 Snub nose PPCs with a deadside and MASC, which is a really brutal combination of point blank splat.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 16, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Commoners posted:

The zeus MAY have the potential to be a really good brawler because of MASC and 4 ASRM6s. With the LBX20 coming out it may be able to do LBX20/2 ASRM6s/2 Snub nose PPCs with a deadside and MASC, which is a really brutal combination of point blank splat.

All depends on its acceleration. MASC only helps if you already have a decent accel to boost. The patch gutted the Spirit Bear, as an obvious example.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Zeuses after mobility tree have 31 accel and a decent turning speed. The spiritbear has 10 which is just nothing to work with.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Zeus has good base values, better than the VTR-9S. The big difference between it and the 9S is Armor quirks vs Structure. Armor is better, but I dunno if MASC and better hardpoints are enough to put the Zeus ahead.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 16, 2017

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

The Zeus has good base values, better than the VTR-9S. The big difference between it and the 9S is Armor quirks vs Structure. Armor is better, but I dunno if MASC and better hardpoints are enough to put the Zeus ahead.

MASC is really, really good on a brawling assault.

God I miss my SB :(

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
so are you guys saying that zeus is the assault mech to go for?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

We're talking about the upcoming hero mech, which has good hardpoints for a brawler on top of MASC and decent quirks. The regular Zeus is not so great.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Commoners posted:

The kaiju gives a preview into what they're likely going to be buffing the king crabs with, which is going to be converting structure bonuses to armor. It'll be good for them, but I don't know if it'll be enough.

The KGCs have zero health bonuses right now with the exception of a little extra armor on the claws that is never relevant because the arms are not that big and the STs are huge. I don't disagree that I don't know if this is enough, but it is more than just a number reshuffle. Thing is though, they're getting about the same amount of health as the Urbanmech, except they have the same mobility stats as a Direwolf and some of the worst hitboxes in the game. I can't recommend the Direwolf to anyone with how sluggish it is right now, and the KGC is a Direwolf without clan tech. At least the Atlas has good hitboxes, and it still has better health quirks; doubly so because of the way that structure quirks are more favorable on the heavier mechs, meaning that having armor instead of structure actually decreases the bonuses you get from the survival tree.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

aniviron posted:

The KGCs have zero health bonuses right now with the exception of a little extra armor on the claws that is never relevant because the arms are not that big and the STs are huge. I don't disagree that I don't know if this is enough, but it is more than just a number reshuffle. Thing is though, they're getting about the same amount of health as the Urbanmech, except they have the same mobility stats as a Direwolf and some of the worst hitboxes in the game. I can't recommend the Direwolf to anyone with how sluggish it is right now, and the KGC is a Direwolf without clan tech. At least the Atlas has good hitboxes, and it still has better health quirks; doubly so because of the way that structure quirks are more favorable on the heavier mechs, meaning that having armor instead of structure actually decreases the bonuses you get from the survival tree.

I still think armor is better on heavier mechs. With missiles getting +crit bonuses from the tree there is just a lot of stuff out there right now that shreds internals. Having a ton of IS doesn't help if your weapons are stripped out.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Commoners posted:

The mauler may be the IS scorch if the LBX20 is 1 slot less and 1 ton lighter

It's not. Only the IS LB10-X gets a weight/size savings.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Skippy McPants posted:

I guess I missed it when I looked earlier, but yeah the K-9 is the best Urbie by a mile now and I could see it messing some people up with an AC/10 and bunch of MLs. Maybe even 5 MPLs, but those ballistic quirks are pretty sweet too.

Unfortunately, I don't think it has enough high laser mounts to run the 3lpls that really give the grasshopper its oomph. The second side torso mounts are probably shoulder level like on the other GHR's, but everything else is along the waistline. Shame that the CT energy is right in its belly-button.

The issue with the grasshopper is geometrical. All of them really. Broad as a barn door aside they have poor weapons convergence because even on an all torso weapon variant the hardpoints are spaced out like the mech is covered in grid paper.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Patch notes are up. RIP ERMLs.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I think I'm generally okay with all those energy weapon changes.

Some of them are about 3 years late though.

Oh my goodness. Apparently every time you hotkey toggle the lights on the K-9 Urbie the siren noise plays. I think I know what needs to be done.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 17, 2017

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
are we going to do a competitive team or what

Mottie
Mar 30, 2011

Why did they nerf IS SPLs? They weren't exactly stellar, and IS smalls are hot garbage. I guess it's time to run 6 MLs on my locust now that they're buffing the HPS for that , at least.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Because they nerfed Clan SPLs so much that they had to lower the IS SPL to maintain the "clans have better tech" shtick.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
So they can sell you mechs with 20 energy hard points for micro pulse laser builds in a month or two.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Lights got poo poo on. :(

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

IS MLs and MPLs got a pretty good buff, and may almost be useable by lights now. The 5MPL firestarter is going to be pretty powerful now with the survivability boost.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Artificer posted:

Lights got poo poo on. :(

When is this not true?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Dicked the mad2c mobility so it will be interesting to see how viable it remains. King crab getting torso armor quirks and reshuffling weapon quirks in some bizarre ways.

Oh and all rubies get the 60s armor quirks now.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

Dicked the mad2c mobility so it will be interesting to see how viable it remains.

It's already barely better than the Supernova, so it'll probably fall behind. Also, a big part of its power is the ability to boat the gently caress out of lasers, so the double nerf won't be kind to it.

Meanwhile, the Night Gyr is already a turret on legs and will only become more so. They didn't really attack any of what makes the mech good, i.e. a hyper-specialized pop-tart.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 17, 2017

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
The most important part of the patch notes to me was that we will finally be able to pass group leader without exiting the group.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Repo Man posted:

The most important part of the patch notes to me was that we will finally be able to pass group leader without exiting the group.

I missed that and you're right to say it's the biggest game changer.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Looking over things a bit more, a lot of the laser changes seem aimless. It narrows the gap between Clans and IS a tad, but it doesn't do much to define clearer roles. LPLs backed by MLs will remain the default loadout for laser vomit.

The only really impactful change is the C-SPL getting gutted. I have to imagine that's some kind of preemptive thing to account for the upcoming Micro and Heavy lasers because lopping off 1/3rd of its damage is pretty extreme.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

They nerfed every small laser to be as bad as the IS SL instead of buffing everything else to be as realistically usable as the cSPL.

Guess we can't have nice things. Like lights, or brawlers.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

aniviron posted:

They nerfed every small laser to be as bad as the IS SL instead of buffing everything else to be as realistically usable as the cSPL.

Guess we can't have nice things. Like lights, or brawlers.

Oh if anything these changes just making poking and LRM mechs more viable.

Which is no surprise given how many pubbies flee in their 100 ton assaults the moment an autocannon shell bounces off their armor.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Bigger brawlers will be fine, since they've got the tonnage to mount SRMs and heavy ACs, but I have no idea what they expect lights to do after this change. I guess it's MPLs or bust and then hope that the tech update throws a them a bone next month. Like, the I get that they wanted to do a balance pass on lasers before the Civil War update dumps another dozen energy weapons into the pool but man do these changes feel unfocused.

Now I'm really curious now to see how badly they gently caress up the Clan Heavy Lasers. Traditionally, the big problem with the C-ERML is its ridiculous damage per ton which lets you pack massive amounts of hurt into very few tons/crit slots, leaving plenty of room for those juicy DHS. On paper, the Heavy Laser is that concept taken and expanded into an entire class sof weapons. High damage and very high heat, but for a pittance of tonnage and crit slot allocation.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
cERML runs too hot to boat and almost too hot for spare tonnage unless you're fighting a terribly unaggressive opponent who gives you time to cool down. Shooting them usually just builds up heat that you could use shooting all the better clan weapons you probably brought.

cMPLs almost looks like a buff considering the -16% heat generation and how insignificant the burn time and damage changes are.

Heavy lasers will probably suck unless they put in things like the Rifleman IIC or some of the other heavy laser carriers that boat silly numbers of DHS.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Atlatl posted:

cERML runs too hot to boat and almost too hot for spare tonnage unless you're fighting a terribly unaggressive opponent who gives you time to cool down. Shooting them usually just builds up heat that you could use shooting all the better clan weapons you probably brought.

cMPLs almost looks like a buff considering the -16% heat generation and how insignificant the burn time and damage changes are.

Heavy lasers will probably suck unless they put in things like the Rifleman IIC or some of the other heavy laser carriers that boat silly numbers of DHS.

You don't boat them exclusively, but 3-5 in heavies and 4-6 in assaults is the standard for Clan laser vomit. They're not heat efficient, but that doesn't matter when they're so tiny and light that you can cram 25-30 DHS into all the free space.

Agreed that the cMPL got a slight buff, but it still suffers from weighing two tons vs. the one of the ERML, which means that you give up a DHS for each one you add unless you're slot capped and have the tonnage to spare.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
They nerfed the Enforcer 4R. Was anyone anywhere playing that mech besides me?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Welp, looks like I'm settling on laserboating the Dire Wolf. Ballistics just never ends well and with lasers I can rotate the firing for some decent damage before having to cool down. Also, laser boating seems to make it easier to not expose myself as long as opposed to having to rely on dual UAC10's as my primary source of damage dealing.

My rotation is basically the dual LPL > dual LPL on left arm > dual MPL on left arm > right arm. I can keep that rotation going for quite a bit too.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Atlatl posted:

I mean, it's also a 14% DPS reduction with the nerf to the damage, so... gonna say it's not really a buff, no. cMPLs have the same dps/heat but now it takes more shots to do that DPS, which means more face time and more engagment time. It's a nerf.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

aniviron posted:

I mean, it's also a 14% DPS reduction with the nerf to the damage, so... gonna say it's not really a buff, no. cMPLs have the same dps/heat but now it takes more shots to do that DPS, which means more face time and more engagment time. It's a nerf.

does that mean my dire wolf laserboat is hosed?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Maybe? The cMPL got the least nerfed out of all clan lasers, but it's still a nerf. Looking at your build above, I would be more worried about what they did to the cLPLs, which are doing most of your damage anyway.

Hard to say precisely how this is going to shake out, but I suspect that you're going to want to switch to ballistics.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

aniviron posted:

Maybe? The cMPL got the least nerfed out of all clan lasers, but it's still a nerf. Looking at your build above, I would be more worried about what they did to the cLPLs, which are doing most of your damage anyway.

Hard to say precisely how this is going to shake out, but I suspect that you're going to want to switch to ballistics.

The decreased duration seems pretty neat though

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Agrajag posted:

The decreased duration seems pretty neat though

The duration went up, not down. It's a nerf.

quote:

• Damage reduced to 7.5 (From 8)
• Heat reduced to 5 (From 6)
• Duration increased to 0.9 (from 0.85)

e: oh you mean the LPL. Yeah, that went from 1.12 to 1.09. I don't think there are almost any humans who will notice the .03s difference. That's three one hundredths of a second for the people playing along at home.

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!
So with the buffs to IS Medium/Medium pulse lasers, what are some non-P2W IS mechs to boat some green beams?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mottie
Mar 30, 2011

Corn Burst posted:

So with the buffs to IS Medium/Medium pulse lasers, what are some non-P2W IS mechs to boat some green beams?

ISside laser vomit (3 LPL + 1-6 ML) is actually fairly common and I can't think of very many energy based mechs that *don't* run medium lasers, they're even a decent backup. Heck since they reduced the HPS to 0.87 I might even run 6 ML on my LCT over 6 SPL (which gets nerfed to 0.8 hps, and has worse alpha + range)

• Locked thread