Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

hooah posted:

Lol Newegg's eBay store has EVGA 1070s starting at $450, but their own site has one at $329 with a $20 mail-in rebate. WTF, Newegg??

That $329 one was on the eBay store too but was immediately sold out. I know because I put it in my cart last night and then I got out of bed and it's out of stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Hey thread, I need a new bang-for-the-buck CAD / Dev workstation. I'm wondering how close the gaming builds listed in the OP will get me and whether there's any differences these days between a gaming build and my needs. My reasoning is thus - Fusion 360 is my heaviest CAD load and like Inventor it uses DirectX, not OpenGL like some other packages, so something like a 1070/1080 should be better than something like a Quadro? CPU wise Fusion is still not optimised for multithreading so clock speed matters more than cores. However in developer land I tend to use virtual development servers in VirtualBox but typically not more than 2 running concurrently. I have no brand loyalties with regards to AMD/Intel/nvidia/etc, If there is an OEM machine that fits the bill or will with upgrade then I'm also interested - the HP2Z is an option, potentially.

What country are you in? UK

What are you using the system for? Mostly CAD, coding (inc. virtualisation), microelectronics and research

What's your budget? £1000 (~1500USD), I don't need a kb/mouse/screen/optical drive, I don't need more than 256GB for the working SSD, I'd rather have speed over bulk storage and just keep up on my housekeeping, I have NAS and butt.

If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? Mostly Fusion 360, EasyEDA and similar, IDEs like Arduino, Eclipse, virtualBox, a billion chrome tabs and pdf spec sheets.

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? Not gaming but still displaying 3D stuff I guess, I have a 2560x1440 DisplayPort / HDMI monitor (Dell U2515H)

Thanks for your time.

EDIT to say, this is a work machine, so I'm happy to pay a little more for quality parts and warranty.
EDIT 2: I put this together as a starting point
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($158.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B450M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($75.07 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Video Card ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake - Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($32.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $921.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-21 09:41 EST-0500

I went with microATX because I simply don't need a big tower, but I don't know if that case is going to work with that cooler. I don't know if I can do better for my money CPU wise?

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 21, 2018

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
EDIT: wrong thread

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You guys see that thing on twitter about the girl being discriminated against because she carried 2 laptops? I really want to know why someone needs to carry 2 laptops, from a tech standpoint. One guy said he cant use his work laptop for hentaipersonal stuff and I get that, but she cited one is for astrophysics and one is for AI. I mean I dont know anything about either, and I dare not comment and ask directly and get that backlash, but I feel like if one is powerful enough for one of those tasks, why not the other?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I mean, I know nothing about the context of that beyond your post but when I was doing iterative cad simulations for fluid dynamics in school it was extremely useful to have two pc’s so while one sat crunching for hours the other could be doing a slight variation. I didn’t take the class but pretty sure Astro had some similar iterative software.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So, notice anything about this?

:psyduck: :negative: :psyduck: :negative:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

codo27 posted:

Turn on XMP? Unplug your HD if you're installing windows on a SSD? What?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was taken aback by the fact its a 9900k paired with 8gb of paltry 2133mhz RAM...and a HDD.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Nobody needs over 640K of RAM.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

codo27 posted:

2 Keyboards??

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

codo27 posted:

You guys see that thing on twitter about the girl being discriminated against because she carried 2 laptops? I really want to know why someone needs to carry 2 laptops, from a tech standpoint. One guy said he cant use his work laptop for hentaipersonal stuff and I get that, but she cited one is for astrophysics and one is for AI. I mean I dont know anything about either, and I dare not comment and ask directly and get that backlash, but I feel like if one is powerful enough for one of those tasks, why not the other?

poo poo man I've got two laptops for work and I'm about to have a third.

And I caught a raft of poo poo going across a border once with two phones (one work, one personal) and a laptop. Like I was smuggling electronics or some poo poo. Now, pushing to discrimination seems a bridge too far, but it was a pain in my rear end that day, for sure.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

MZ posted:

2 Keyboards??

Looks like they booted in Depeche Mode.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Arrath posted:

poo poo man I've got two laptops for work and I'm about to have a third.

And I caught a raft of poo poo going across a border once with two phones (one work, one personal) and a laptop. Like I was smuggling electronics or some poo poo. Now, pushing to discrimination seems a bridge too far, but it was a pain in my rear end that day, for sure.

It wasn't a security guy asking, just some guy, apparently in a patronising tone.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

exquisite tea posted:

Looks like they booted in Depeche Mode.

This didn't get enough love!

postcapt
Feb 27, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

This didn't get enough love!

You mean they just can't get enough?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

ReelBigLizard posted:

Thanks for your time.

EDIT to say, this is a work machine, so I'm happy to pay a little more for quality parts and warranty.
EDIT 2: I put this together as a starting point

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($158.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B450M-A/CSM Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($75.07 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Video Card ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake - Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($32.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $921.80
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-21 09:41 EST-0500

I went with microATX because I simply don't need a big tower, but I don't know if that case is going to work with that cooler. I don't know if I can do better for my money CPU wise?

Put in a 1700x because it's a killer deal for that many cores, an apu is a waste of money is you have a graphics card. The 212 is old and busted, 1070ti for the same price? Yes, please. A 256gb SSD is borderline irresponsible nowadays. Nothing wrong with the functionality of the case you picked, but it is a clunker. There's a more trusted brand of PSU. You should consider looking up the Pinnacle ridge qvl sheet for memory for your motherboard to help pick RAM.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($36.35 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($72.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - H400 (White) MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($76.87 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - G 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($65.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $972.24
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-21 13:15 EST-0500

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Hi thread,

I’m thinking of finally upgrading my good old GTX 970 and was considering picking this RTX 2080 up on my way home tonight.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-founders-edition-8gb-gddr6-pci-express-3-0-graphics-card/6291648.p?skuId=6291648

Is there any reason this particular card is dumb/bad because they’re selling it at Best Buy? If there’s a compelling argument that I should wait a day or two to get a better card from New Egg I could probably be convinced to be less impulsive. Probably.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Other than the fact that there is a fairly wide selection of non blower models for 50 dollars less and gently caress best buy? No, it's a great deal...

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I have a 1080ti GPU, i7-6700k CPU and a Asus H170A motherboard. Is it time to upgrade CPU/Motherboard, or should I wait until I am also upgrading the GPU (which doesn't seem to be needed for a while still)?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
How's your performance in games? Is the processor overclocked? It should be! What is your monitor refresh/resolution?

How are we supposed to answer this question?

In any case, a 1080ti can only be beaten by $1300+ card (2080 is a little better...)

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

LRADIKAL posted:

Is the processor overclocked?
Probably not on an H170 motherboard!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Hello thread. An artist friend of mine wants to get a desktop PC. He's going to be doing some Photoshop work. He wants two monitors, he's okay with 1080p.

I only have experience building high-end gaming rigs, so I'm 100% sure that whatever I pick for him would be overkill.

Any thoughts? His budget is $800.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

LRADIKAL posted:

How's your performance in games? Is the processor overclocked? It should be! What is your monitor refresh/resolution?

How are we supposed to answer this question?

In any case, a 1080ti can only be beaten by $1300+ card (2080 is a little better...)

Duh, I could have said something. As Llamadeus said, no overclock on a h170a.

Most games are running fine so far; Witcher 3 maxed is over 90-100 fps outside of Novigrad, and only dips to around 60-70 there. However, more CPU heavy ones are struggling a tiny bit; BF V actually had some stuttering at certain points. WoW also goes down below 60 in capital cities.

Mostly, wanted to get the PC a bit more up to date as the CPU seems to be a bit behind the rest of the stuff I have.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

Hello thread. An artist friend of mine wants to get a desktop PC. He's going to be doing some Photoshop work. He wants two monitors, he's okay with 1080p.

I only have experience building high-end gaming rigs, so I'm 100% sure that whatever I pick for him would be overkill.

monitors are part of the budget? He's an artist? So one of them should be sRGB or something, right? Also, an artist that wants 1080p is dead wrong. On the other hand, 800 is a reasonable price point for an artist build.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

canepazzo posted:

Duh, I could have said something. As Llamadeus said, no overclock on a h170a.

Most games are running fine so far; Witcher 3 maxed is over 90-100 fps outside of Novigrad, and only dips to around 60-70 there. However, more CPU heavy ones are struggling a tiny bit; BF V actually had some stuttering at certain points. WoW also goes down below 60 in capital cities.

Mostly, wanted to get the PC a bit more up to date as the CPU seems to be a bit behind the rest of the stuff I have.

What is your monitor refresh/resolution?

it's a $4-500 upgrade, at least, at this point to see improvement over that processor. Also, why would you put a K chip into a non-overclocking board?!!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

Here's a non-monitor build. If you want to save 150 bucks, go ahead and drop the Ryzen 7 to a 2400G with integrated graphics.

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler ($27.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($61.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($74.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Phoenix Video Card ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $726.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-21 15:35 EST-0500

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

LRADIKAL posted:

Other than the fact that there is a fairly wide selection of non blower models for 50 dollars less and gently caress best buy? No, it's a great deal...

So this inspired me to hunt for a better deal and holy poo poo did I find one. Gigabyte RTX 2080 for $650. Sold by Newegg - only caveat is you have to use the EBay mobile app to purchase and put in PICKFAST for a coupon code worth $100. And it’s only $17 to add one day shipping.

Now THAT is worth waiting for.

https://www.pcgamer.com/amp/graphics-card-deal-get-a-geforce-rtx-2080-for-dollar650-save-dollar80/

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Newegg has the EVGA G2 550W (w/ 9 year warranty) for $40 after rebate for the next 4 days. That'd be my default suggestion for anyone with a build <650W.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Good catch, stick

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

LRADIKAL posted:

What is your monitor refresh/resolution?

it's a $4-500 upgrade, at least, at this point to see improvement over that processor. Also, why would you put a K chip into a non-overclocking board?!!

144hz, 1440p. I don't remember why I got a non overclocking board!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

LRADIKAL posted:

monitors are part of the budget? He's an artist? So one of them should be sRGB or something, right? Also, an artist that wants 1080p is dead wrong. On the other hand, 800 is a reasonable price point for an artist build.

Well, he's a mural artist, and wants to get into doing some light digital work on PS. So it's not like he'll be spending most of his time in front of the computer.

I suggested 1080p mostly to stay within budget.

LRADIKAL posted:

Here's a non-monitor build. If you want to save 150 bucks, go ahead and drop the Ryzen 7 to a 2400G with integrated graphics.

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler ($27.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($61.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($74.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB Phoenix Video Card ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $726.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-21 15:35 EST-0500

Thanks for this list. What kind of practical difference are we looking at regarding 1050 Ti vs. 2400G with integrated graphics? I know video editing requires a good GPU. Does Photoshop?

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 21, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

canepazzo posted:

I have a 1080ti GPU, i7-6700k CPU and a Asus H170A motherboard. Is it time to upgrade CPU/Motherboard, or should I wait until I am also upgrading the GPU (which doesn't seem to be needed for a while still)?

If you're fine with moving to Ryzen, then it's a great time to upgrade (with reservations, see below). If you want to stick with Intel, wait about a year. Intel's having issues with sub-14nm CPUs, and AMD has embarrassed them to the point where their answer seems to be "change computing as we know it by throwing money at the problem."

Of course, the second generation of Ryzen (the 2xxx chips are a refresh of the first gen) is coming out in the next few months, and supposedly has up to 25% IPC gains over the current CPUs. In addition, Socket AM4 is going to be used until 2020, so you'd have Ryzen 3 as a drop-in upgrade option.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

canepazzo posted:

144hz, 1440p. I don't remember why I got a non overclocking board!

I wouldn't do a processor upgrade yet. Wait until you are mad at bad framerates, then update. You'll need a motherboard and memory as well. Great new chips are coming out in the next year or so, and RAM prices continue to decline. It's going to be a big cost, and 1440p is less CPU limited than a lower resolution.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Of course, the second generation of Ryzen (the 2xxx chips are a refresh of the first gen) is coming out in the next few months,
Referring to them like this a bit needlessly confusing since AMD and everyone else calls the current 2xxx chips "second gen" and 3xxx will presumably be third. It's the architecture that they call "Zen 2".

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

enraged_camel posted:

Well, he's a mural artist, and wants to get into doing some light digital work on PS. So it's not like he'll be spending most of his time in front of the computer.

I suggested 1080p mostly to stay within budget.

Thanks for this list. What kind of practical difference are we looking at regarding 1050 Ti vs. 2400G with integrated graphics? I know video editing requires a good GPU. Does Photoshop?

I don't think it'll be a big deal for photoshop at all, really. I put in the graphics card in case the PC is ever used for gaming or something a little more 3d intensive.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Llamadeus posted:

Referring to them like this a bit needlessly confusing since AMD and everyone else calls the current 2xxx chips "second gen" and 3xxx will presumably be third. It's the architecture that they call "Zen 2".

Yeah, except the 2xxx are "1.5th Gen." It hardly matters, but people in here should know that 2xxx chips aren't "second gen" parts. AMD should've gone with 1x30/50/70/90, but I guess the "4800+" days die hard.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Just pointing out that it's needlessly confusing to use the terminology you think they should have used instead of what's actually used :v:

For the same reason nobody would refer to current Intel CPUs as fourth or sixth gen instead of ninth.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You're wrong. Please stop arguing.

edit: we are using clear, intentional and accurate language in a part picking thread. You and your friends can call them whatever you want elsewhere.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
How does an RX 590 compare to a GTX 970?

I've got a four-year-old GTX 970, and really feel like most of the NVIDIA cards right now are sort of screwjobs (using it for 1440p gaming). 590 is going for $280 right now with three games (Division 2, Resident Evil 2 remake, and Devil May Cry 5). At four years, I don't want the 970 to burn out and get stuck buying something at the last minute. I may get this now, and pick up an NVIDIA in a year or two when they come back down to earth (or pick up a higher-performance AMD if they start to realistically compete in the high-end market).

Is it worth the upgrade, or would I be better off just waiting it out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

How does an RX 590 compare to a GTX 970?

I've got a four-year-old GTX 970, and really feel like most of the NVIDIA cards right now are sort of screwjobs (using it for 1440p gaming). 590 is going for $280 right now with three games (Division 2, Resident Evil 2 remake, and Devil May Cry 5). At four years, I don't want the 970 to burn out and get stuck buying something at the last minute. I may get this now, and pick up an NVIDIA in a year or two when they come back down to earth (or pick up a higher-performance AMD if they start to realistically compete in the high-end market).

Is it worth the upgrade, or would I be better off just waiting it out?

I'm in the same boat with the 970, and considering going for this deal:
https://slickdeals.net/f/12308479-sapphire-radeon-rx-vega-64-requires-ebay-app-340?src=frontpage