Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Jacob's Ladder is also the first and only time I can genuinely say that Macaulay Culkin was cute in a movie. I almost wanted to say the only time he was 'good' in a movie but I liked him well enough in The Good Son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Do people really dislike Fight Club nowadays? The Usual Suspects is a pile but I think Fight Club still holds up. It's Very 90's, but that's what you want.

Fight Club, Jacob's Ladder and Usual Suspects all hold up to my eyes, but In The Mouth of Madness sure doesn't. Movie straight up sucks.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 28, 2014

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Jacob's Ladder is a little more long and meandering than it ought to be (and, bizarrely, some of the scenes they removed are much better than stuff that made the cut) but it's better at genuinely shocking imagery than ItMoM ever was.

Like I said, I watched it last night and nearly turned it off half way through. I don't recall seeing anything that was shocking, but I wish there were more of the creepy "what the hell was that thing?" moments. I would watch Mouth again over this in a second.

I like weird stuff in the background, but rarely see it done much in movies. Like the painting in Black Swan that turned to look at someone, and the odd little animated things in some haunted house movies. I feel that Jacob's could have done with more unsettling odd stuff going on, but we got about 3 guys with blank faces. But some nice tits too, so there's that.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
A little late to the game, but I loved Oculus and some of the images have stuck with me since seeing it yesterday.

Oh God, the scene where Kaylie walks in to find her mother chained to a wall, with broken jagged teeth from having eaten plates? CHRIST.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I agree with Gromit, and Fight Club is unequivocally a better movie - only in CineD would you get someone try and argue the opposite! There's some cool freaky imagery but a lot of the movie hasn't aged well and the twist is pretty cheesy.

It reminds me a lot of Scorsese's Bringing out the Dead, which is an underappreciated but still not great film.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Fight Club, Jacob's Ladder and Usual Suspects all hold up to my eyes, but In The Mouth of Madness sure doesn't. Movie straight up sucks.

You're just mad because it's better than Prince of Darkness in every sense.

e: except for not casting Alice Cooper

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm a pretty giant horror movie fan and I've never even heard of this.
You should check it out then. I can't think of very many foreign slashers, and I still haven't seen Cold Prey 3, but the first two were pretty good.

Craig Spradlin posted:

Ehhhh. The first one had some good ideas, but when the best thing you can say is "it doesn't check every cliche box on the list", is it really worth that much praise?
It's not that they duck cliche. It's that they're legitimately beautiful movies (I wish more slashers featured snowy locales), they keep things moving and the language barrier prevents those of us who don't speak Norwegian from gauging the quality of the acting, which gives it a leg up over other English-language slasher flicks.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I still like it, but then again I'm biased in my love for Sam Neill, I mean hell I can even enjoy the Omen III because of him.

ITMM those have a good ending though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_HPFoelMQc

I'm kind of shocked of how many movies Neill has played someone that gets driven to insanity

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Perhaps Sam Neill has always been insane, and his Hollywood handlers only occasionally give him his medication at certain times during the filming of his movies.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
In The Mouth Of Madness will hold up because it's a lot of fun. The Usual Suspects will not hold up because it was never ever good and I have no loving idea what movie people saw to think otherwise.

People really like a twist, I guess.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

I agree, the Usual Suspects is a lovely movie.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I agree with Gromit, and Fight Club is unequivocally a better movie - only in CineD would you get someone try and argue the opposite!

Can't pull that and say In the Mouth of Madness sucks, sorry.

Plus the Fight Club twist is cheesier so that's a weird knock against Jacob's Ladder.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You're just mad because it's better than Prince of Darkness in every sense.

e: except for not casting Alice Cooper

It's funny because to me it's always seemed like a weaker version of Prince of Darkness, which is already okay-not-great.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

The Usual Suspects will not hold up because it was never ever good and I have no loving idea what movie people saw to think otherwise.

People really like a twist, I guess.

It's a clever little caper movie that's extremely well-acted by an awesomely put together cast.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 28, 2014

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's a clever little caper movie that's extremely well-acted by an awesomely put together cast.

It's not clever, just convoluted. The rest of it is so pedestrian not even a good cast can elevate it beyond itself.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000

ruddiger posted:

If we're not including the first entries, I think the best ones are Nightmare 3, Friday VI, and Halloween 3.

And Hellraiser 2.

Critters 2.

Leprechaun in the Hood.

Puppet Master 3.

I agree with you on all of this except Critters. Critters 3 is great because of the use of one-location, but also the story arc of bumbling bounty-hunter Charlie. Critters 4 is the pinnacle of the series not only because it closes out multiple story-arcs, but because it does it IN SPACE. Critters 4 completely achieved cult status whereas the other three took themselves too seriously.

That being said, Hellraiser 2 is easily the best sequel of the series (followed closely by 6), Leprechaun in the Hood is the definition of so-bad-it's-good, and Puppet Master 3: Toulon's Revenge is the best of the series and successfully pulls off the "origin" story.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It's not clever, just convoluted. The rest of it is so pedestrian not even a good cast can elevate it beyond itself.

I mean we'll have to disagree on the first bit (twist ending aside, I think the actual plot of the thing is way more straightforward than people portray it as, especially by caper film standards), but really if you told me there was a neo-noir crime movie where the principal cast includes Kevin Spacey, Gabriel Byrne, Pete Posthlewaite, Chazz Palmentieri, Benicio Del Toro, Kevin Pollack, Dan Hedaya, Giancarlo Esposito, and Peter Greene, you'd have to literally tie me down to get me not to watch that at least three times. Hell, even Stephen Baldwin gives a good performance. Throw in a Christopher McQuarrie script and that's just icing on the cake. But we're getting off topic.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Can't pull that and say In the Mouth of Madness sucks, sorry.

Plus the Fight Club twist is cheesier so that's a weird knock against Jacob's Ladder.

I was referring to Fight Club as being better than Jacob's Ladder. I haven't actually seen In the Mouth of Madness, but I will.

I feel like Fight Club is becoming a movie that's becoming cool to hate on since it's so overhyped by its fanboys. But, its a legitimately enjoyable, viscerally exciting film that has a lot of rewatch value despite (and admittedly, partly because of) the twist. Jacob's Ladder is a decent supernatural thriller with some funky-rear end imagery, but I don't see why it deserves classic status by any means.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I mean we'll have to disagree on the first bit (twist ending aside, I think the actual plot of the thing is way more straightforward than people portray it as, especially by caper film standards), but really if you told me there was a neo-noir crime movie where the principal cast includes Kevin Spacey, Gabriel Byrne, Pete Posthlewaite, Chazz Palmentieri, Benicio Del Toro, Kevin Pollack, Dan Hedaya, Giancarlo Esposito, and Peter Greene, you'd have to literally tie me down to get me not to watch that at least three times. Hell, even Stephen Baldwin gives a good performance. Throw in a Christopher McQuarrie script and that's just icing on the cake. But we're getting off topic.

I like all those actors too but I got nothing much out of seeing them all in a single movie.

To bring it back on topic, I did a double feature of Afflicted and The Den, both of them 'found footage' films.

Afflicted was decent enough. Two friends want to travel through Europe after finding out one of them has a terminal illness.

Production values were really good, principal cast is quite good (and it's nice to see an American of Asian descent in a lead role) and there's some really memorable scenes and imagery in it that we haven't seen before in the found footage genre (although there are similarities to Chronicle).

That said, my interest took a huge dive at the reveal that Derek Lee's affliction was vampirism. It's such a shame because it closed the door on so many potentially interesting and new situations in favor of the same old worn out tropes we've seem so many times before.

And in the end he becomes Dexter.

The Den was rather interesting in that it used mainly laptop cameras, face-time cameras and shows the phones and laptops being interacted with. A woman is doing a study on an 'Omegle' like random chat site (yes, cocks a-plenty) only to get stalked.

It's pretty clever and very well done with several very creepy sequences, but the film itself suffers from a lack of originality in the overall storyline. The way it's presented is innovative enough but the story itself we've seen several times by now and it's grown stale.

Both are worth checking out.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Liked the Usual Suspects a teen but never got through it as an adult. Was one of the rare few who hated Fight Club. Didn't like the look of the film, the story or the characters. It's been years since I've seen any of it, though.

Love Jacob's Ladder and consider it to be one of the best horror films out there. It's one of the rare few that really freaked me out and left me unsettled. Just my two cents.

I started watching Never Sleep Again, the (perhaps overly) long NOES documentary. First 90 minutes or so is basically just the first movie and part of the second. Informative stuff, though I've heard most of Wes Craven's tidbits about Freddy & his creation from other sources over the years.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Oliver Reed posted:

I started watching Never Sleep Again, the (perhaps overly) long NOES documentary.

How dare you. I could've kept going for a couple more, actually.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Since people are talking about the ANOES behind the scenes movie, is Crystal Lake Memories streaming anywhere?

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

The Senator Giroux posted:

Since people are talking about the ANOES behind the scenes movie, is Crystal Lake Memories streaming anywhere?

Not that I know of, I'm hoping it pops up on Hulu or Netflix though.

And I'm pretty sure A Bay of Blood is widely considered to be the first real Slasher film, it's not as good as Black Christmas though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wilhelm Scream posted:

And I'm pretty sure A Bay of Blood is widely considered to be the first real Slasher film, it's not as good as Black Christmas though.

A possible choice, but a contentious one; I'd say it retains enough of the giallo form to remain distinct from the slasher, though it is one of the clearest precedents.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wilhelm Scream posted:

Not that I know of, I'm hoping it pops up on Hulu or Netflix though.

What year? Because you've got Peeping Tom as far back as 1960 if you want a proto-slasher.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jedit posted:

What year? Because you've got Peeping Tom as far back as 1960 if you want a proto-slasher.

Peeping Tom and Psycho, both from 1960, are definite influences on the slasher movement but I don't think anyone in their right mind would call either one a slasher proper. I mean, they do in Scream 4 but that movie's flat out moronic all the way through.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Psycho actually does follow the basic idea aped later (hell, the premise isn't that far off from the first Friday the 13th. Sneaky lunatic ninjas people with a knife and then hides in plain sight). It's just, y'know...subdued and actually well made.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Oh right, forgot to mention that I watched and/or suffered through Amityville 2. Whoever said it was sleazy hit the nail on the head. The possessed brother/sister incest stuff was really twisted. I thought the characters were basically all treated like trash by the writers.

Onward to Amityville 3-D: The Demon.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So help me, I'm considering getting the complete Friday the 13th Collection because I've only seen 1,2, Manhattan and X, and this set has Freddy vs Jason, meaning along with the Nightmare box set that will complete everything.

Edit: Why isn't Freddy's Nightmares on DVD/Blu-Ray/NetFlix yet?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Tharizdun posted:

Edit: Why isn't Freddy's Nightmares on DVD/Blu-Ray/NetFlix yet?

I saw part of an episode of that on TV once at my grandparent's house when I was little and it scared the poo poo out of me. IMDB says it was on from 1988-1990, so I couldn't have been older than 7-8, and I have a clear memory of Freddy saying something along the lines of, "How would you like to wake up and find me sitting next to you? Or better yet... how would you like to not wake up at all!" and then cackling.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Psycho actually does follow the basic idea aped later (hell, the premise isn't that far off from the first Friday the 13th. Sneaky lunatic ninjas people with a knife and then hides in plain sight). It's just, y'know...subdued and actually well made.

I think the big things separating it from the slasher movement (apart from being really well-made) is its very low body count and the fact that it's not young-people-oriented enough.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Gonz posted:

Perhaps Sam Neill has always been insane, and his Hollywood handlers only occasionally give him his medication at certain times during the filming of his movies.
It's a good thing I never saw movies like In the Mouth of Madness or Event Horizon as a kid or that would probably scar me because Dr.Grant was my hero. No I scarred myself because I watch the Robin Williams Bicentennial Man adaptation where Neill was the father who bought the Robin Williams android and I had to watch him die of old age. :smith:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Oliver Reed posted:

Love Jacob's Ladder and consider it to be one of the best horror films out there. It's one of the rare few that really freaked me out and left me unsettled. Just my two cents.

When did you last watch it? I ask this as I saw it many years ago and remembered it being really cool and creepy. Then watching it a couple of nights ago it was dull and nothing really happened. It certainly wasn't unsettling.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Gromit posted:

When did you last watch it? I ask this as I saw it many years ago and remembered it being really cool and creepy. Then watching it a couple of nights ago it was dull and nothing really happened. It certainly wasn't unsettling.

Hm, good question. A couple years at least. Oddly enough, the first time I saw it, it did relatively little for me. This thread is making me want to revisit it so I may do that.

Just gotta finish my Amityville marathon... :suicide:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If you really like Sam Neil you should watch the French film Possession. It's from earlier in his career and it's just all kinds of loving crazytown disturbing. It was a semi infamous "video nasty".

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

Keanu Grieves posted:

You should check it out then. I can't think of very many foreign slashers, and I still haven't seen Cold Prey 3, but the first two were pretty good.
It's not that they duck cliche. It's that they're legitimately beautiful movies (I wish more slashers featured snowy locales), they keep things moving and the language barrier prevents those of us who don't speak Norwegian from gauging the quality of the acting, which gives it a leg up over other English-language slasher flicks.

I've only seen the first one, and although I liked some of the ways it deviated from the formula, I think I wanted something that flew even more in the face of the typical slasher film than it did. The pacing was a little sluggish, too. On the other hand, Rovdyr (Manhunt) is a Norwegian take on teens being hunted by crazy rural types that is a stem-to-stern motherfucker of a film. If you liked Fritt Vilt, check out Rovdyr in a hurry.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Norwegian horror films are pretty amazing. I have never seen Rovdyr. Is it just a straight up country horror?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Hollismason posted:

If you really like Sam Neil you should watch the French film Possession. It's from earlier in his career and it's just all kinds of loving crazytown disturbing. It was a semi infamous "video nasty".

I haven't seen this, or any of that director's films, but someone posted some images from one of his movies from 1988 (On the Silver Globe) on Tumblr and it looks absolutely insane http://sistahray.tumblr.com/post/83863018685/favorite-films-on-the-silver I've never been convinced to watch a movie by Tumblr before but I'm curious about it.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012
Possession is tied with Bad Lieutenant as my favorite movie. I highly recommend it. There are a lot of things to appreciate (from the insane performance by the idea actress that took her two years to recover from, to the dizzying camera movements, to the crazy effects) but one thing I really like is the way it takes "low" genre elements (soap opera melodrama, horror, action, spy thrillers) and just ratchets them all up more and more until it tears itself apart.

edit: I also like the fact that Possession is a French film with in English by a Polish director partially about and set around the Berlin Wall with an American male lead.

acephalousuniverse fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 29, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I still haven't seen Possession but Szamanka is a really weird and pretty cool movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poor and weird
Jun 30, 2007

Gromit posted:

It has a scene where Santa Claus jacks the main character's wallet. That alone is worth the price of admission.