Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Some recent finds:

Florida's bay area has some absolutely fantastic shops. I've been to Bananas but didn't want to negotiate traffic to it this time, so Google told me Clearwater Records was nearby. If you're looking for stuff that's not brand new, go there. Great prices and the biggest selection of $1-2 vinyl that had some nice stuff in there. The Genesis album came from elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Mobb Deep The Infamous pressing at VMP just went up, seems like it's gonna sell out within an hour or so probably, if anyone is interested.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Holy loving :lol:

https://thirdmanstore.com/third-man-records-shinola-turntable

quote:

The limited edition Third Man Turntable is a joint effort between the Shinola Audio team and Third Man Records. In our ongoing mission to empower new generations of music lovers and vinyl enthusiasts, it felt right to strike up a partnership with Shinola, because a collaboration like this needs to be fueled by a mutual passion for well designed objects and appreciation for the power of music.

The turntable features a built in, switchable phono preamplifier and a belt driven pulley with speeds of 33 1/3 rpm and 45rpm. It is equipped with an Ortofon 2M blue phono cartridge with many components made by VPI Industries, an American veteran of turntable manufacturing.

This initial run is very limited, so act quickly. The Third Man Turntable is available for pre-order online and available in Third Man Records stores on black Friday.

$2500.

And it doesn't even do 78 RPM.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Nail Rat posted:

$2500.

What are the odds that it can't play those 3" singles either?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Turns out I can't tell the difference between poo poo and Shinola.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
$2500 and it includes a fuckin preamp? lmao

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
$2.5k and it looks like poo poo too

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
seriously poo poo looks like its made by Tonka

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

PancakeTransmission posted:

Less than a year. But I wouldn't call it collecting, I'm only bothering to get albums that I actually want and that aren't overpriced ($50 AUD per album is my general limit... I just saw reissues of NIN - Downward Spiral and Tool's Lateralus for ~$90 AUD brand new in stores so it sounds like Amazon is the way to go for some).

I only have 50 and none of them are ~rare~ or collectible. A couple of my King Gizzard records are apparently selling for double to triple what I paid for them, but otherwise they're all worth less than what I paid thanks to the Australian Dollar. Not to mention that apparently it costs people $25 to ship an LP to Australia from the US/Europe. And the secondhand market here is tiny/overpriced (at least on Discogs for the albums I actually want), so I only have 4 secondhand 70s prog albums. Unfortunately, one was mis-rated as VG+ when I'd say it's Fair at best.

Oh I'm not one of those dildos who buys things because they're ~collectable~ or for price speculation or stuff like that. I just get poo poo that I like.

Nail Rat posted:

$2500.

quote:

This item is excluded from the free shipping over $100 promotion and flat rate international shipping

One would think that the guy who jizzes when he sees a shellac record would be selling a turntable that has a 78 speed. Who the gently caress is going to buy this? If you can drop that kind of money on a turntable why the gently caress wouldn't you just get a Technics 1200 or something? It's considerably cheaper than this plastic garbage and it's a loving Technics 1200.

Moe_Rahn posted:

What are the odds that it can't play those 3" singles either?

I saw one of the ones that does in a store the other day. It's 80 dollars.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Finally finished cataloging my records and am going to reorganize them. How do you all organize?

I have ~725 records and am probably going to organize based on my local record store, though I'm sure someone has a better way:

-Jazz
-R&B / Soul
-Hip-Hop/Rap
-Metal
-Prog
-World
-Comps
-Ambient
-Catch-all Classic Rock
-Catch-all College / Indie
-Synth-pop / Dance / etc
-Yacht
-poo poo I've bought to sample and will never actually touch

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Straight alphabetical baby. Back when I had a giant DVD collection I tried the by genre thing but I turned into Rob from High Fidelity re-organizing one too many times so now it's A-Z or bust.

edit: Just by artist name, though. I also have divider cards for each letter so I know roughly where to look when I'm after something.

esperantinc fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 6, 2019

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
alphabetical, chronological by artist, and there are exceptions to alphabetical (ie john samson solo goes with weakerthans, trent reznor and atticus ross soundtracks go with nin, however thom yorke does not go with radiohead)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Alphabetical by artist, chronological by release. Except my newer purchases are kind of all hosed up.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Moe_Rahn posted:

I organize alphabetically by surname if it's billed as the solo artist, or if the group name contains the full name of the leader:

Elvis Costello and the Attractions / Elvis Costello: both C
The J. Geils Band : G
Paul Simon : S

If the group name doesn't contain anyone's full name, alphabetically by the first word:

Bootsy's Rubber Band : B
Adam and the Ants : Ad
Simon and Garfunkel : S (but before Paul Simon)

If there are multiple full names, alphabetically by the first surname:

Daryl Hall & John Oates : H

Pseudonyms and mononyms, alphabetically by the first letter:

LL Cool J : L
Captain Beefheart : C

And then within an artist (or band leader, so Neil Young solo will be mixed with Neil Young and Crazy Horse) it's chronologically by initial release date.
You're welcome.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Didn’t expect so much pure alphabetical!

My wife wants that, but I choose based on mood so genre works a hell of a lot better for me. I would probably listen to less jazz if it wasn’t in its own section and I couldn’t easily browse it all.

I’m fully overthinking this.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Still a filthy CD heathen for the most part, but I have them loosely organized by genre with my favorites bubbling up to the top. Definitely considering alphabetical though since all the racks got mixed up recently since space became an issue.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I organize by vibe and whether my wife loves/hates it

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Some recent finds:

Florida's bay area has some absolutely fantastic shops. I've been to Bananas but didn't want to negotiate traffic to it this time, so Google told me Clearwater Records was nearby. If you're looking for stuff that's not brand new, go there. Great prices and the biggest selection of $1-2 vinyl that had some nice stuff in there. The Genesis album came from elsewhere.

Good find. Clearwater Records must be new, when I live in St. Pete a few years ago it was Bananas, Daddy Kool and Planet Retro for my vinyl fix (occasionally Sound Exchange too but they went out of business circa 2016)

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Moe_Rahn knows what's up. The movie soundtrack section is alphabetical by title, though.

Though my Residents section is basically a total middle finger, I don't know what the gently caress is going on there, it's a mess and I don't have time to go through it all.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

caligulamprey posted:

Moe_Rahn knows what's up. The movie soundtrack section is alphabetical by title, though.
Oh yeah, I didn't mention soundtracks in my original post, but that's how mine are, too. Anything with multiple versions (I think I'm up to... three? recordings each of West Side Story and Fiddler on the Roof) is chronological within the title.

quote:

Though my Residents section is basically a total middle finger, I don't know what the gently caress is going on there, it's a mess and I don't have time to go through it all.
Just as they would want it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Asnorban posted:

Finally finished cataloging my records and am going to reorganize them. How do you all organize?

I have ~725 records and am probably going to organize based on my local record store, though I'm sure someone has a better way:

-Jazz
-R&B / Soul
-Hip-Hop/Rap
-Metal
-Prog
-World
-Comps
-Ambient
-Catch-all Classic Rock
-Catch-all College / Indie
-Synth-pop / Dance / etc
-Yacht
-poo poo I've bought to sample and will never actually touch

Way too much effort. My records used to be alphabetical, but I haven’t had the motivation to shift stuff around to make room for new additions, which are mostly just piled in wherever there is room. My 7”s especially are out of order from moves. I nearly couldn’t find one of my rarer / “more special” 7”s the other day and was v. sad. (I found it).

My CDs are just in boxes in the closet with varying degrees of organization. :smith:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
CDs are alphabetical by artist then album by release date (including rereleases).

Vinyl is mostly genre and then BPM but I have a bunch of "crates" that are notated with post-its and ordered by flow/place in the mix.
It looks like a mess but it's a good system. Records are in sleeves with 'to-play' track facing forward. If it's the b-side then the back side of the sleeve faces outward. If it's a multi disc then the play track side still faces out but the sleeve is oriented based on if it's the first or second disc.
If I'm playing 2 tracks from a single album then it's notated on the post-it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Alphabetical here, also, though I have soundtracks, VA collections and classical music in their own block after Z. I have a few cases where solo albums are grouped with the main band (the one Steve Howe record I have comes to mind) but for the most part, boringly alphabetical. It's slightly awkward in that my shelving is a (sideways) 2x4 kallax with a vertical 1x4 kallax just to the right of it, so I start at the top and work my way down:

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I have my stuff alphabetical by artist, but organized in chunks based on genre for faster access.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I put them on the shelf in whatever order I put them there.

There is no organization. David Bowie next to REM next to Gnarls Barkley.

I am a monster.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Cemetry Gator posted:

I am a monster.

Same. They were ordered alphabetically once upon a time but after like one get together of people throwing stuff on no one put them back correctly and I said gently caress it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

mine are placed in their genre tab, but otherwise, no real rhyme or reason. if i do somehow see a bowie record and have a bowie record in my hand, i will put them next to each other.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

angrygodofjebus posted:

Same. They were ordered alphabetically once upon a time but after like one get together of people throwing stuff on no one put them back correctly and I said gently caress it.

I have a "to be re-shelved" bin exactly because of something like this happening once, ha.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

dorium posted:

mine are placed in their genre tab, but otherwise, no real rhyme or reason. if i do somehow see a bowie record and have a bowie record in my hand, i will put them next to each other.

Cemetry Gator posted:

I am a monster.

angrygodofjebus posted:

You guys are all monsters.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

You guys are all monsters.

i am how the world shaped me. perhaps they're the true monsters.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I organize by smell. Dusty all the way to musty.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I have my stuff alphabetical by artist, but organized in chunks based on genre for faster access.

is that an eames chair

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
*holding a leash, barely able to contain my guillotine* woah, woah! easy girl, easy

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
My vinyl is sorted from funkiest to least funky (George Clinton --> Burzum). To each their own.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Mine is in the order I got them. I also only have like 20 records.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I had a wild idea when I first organized in my shelving to do Alphabetical. Now it's just, order I have listened with most recent pulls in front. :( We're putting the house on the market and moving soon. I hope to get a better handle on record storage and organization in the new digs.

Not gonna lie, the idea of disconnecting and driving my turntable to a new location makes me only a LITTLE anxious.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

internet celebrity posted:

Mine is in the order I got them. I also only have like 20 records.

What do you do if they get out of order?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Fiona Apple Tidal at VMP - get it quick it'll go fast

https://app.vinylmeplease.com/products/folk-singer-songwriter/fiona-full

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 8, 2019

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Think so? From reading reddit, they indicated they repressed a lot of these. Also, am I missing something with this album? I got the impression that it was incredibly expensive on the second-hand market, but looking at discogs it doesn't seem like the prices are bad compared to plenty of other VMP releases. Was kinda hoping it would make it to swaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
This is certainly the dumbest vinyl I own, seeing as it's made out of leaves. Trying to explain to customs what was going on here, was a bit of a mess.

(i did also get some actual working ones with it, and a test press of The Armeds Untitled album as you can see in the first photo, and a vhs from tommy wiseau...)