Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

stawk Archer posted:

At what point did Dany become completely retarded btw. Her POV chapters don't convey a character that is thinking clearly. I think it is pretty obvious, in book five, that she is under some sort of evil influence, with all of the witchdoctors and stuff around her and especially an old rotting hag in a green burkha.
After reading Foundation and Empire, this would be a nice GURMy twist to have ported into the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Mutato posted:

Yeah I had to pause and explain to my mum the significance. Felt incredibly :sperg:

e: wait that's not a smilie? How the hell do you make the pasty sperg man?

:spergin: is : spergin :

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
The New York Jets just traded their best player and GRRM is pissed

In WoW look for a buccaneer named Ser Revis to have his head cut off by Victarion

Blitz of 404 Error fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 23, 2013

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Speaking of :spergin:...

I was looking at the site that makes the ASOIAF miniatures, and I noticed something sort of strange on the page of Melissandre figures. All of them are painted predictably red, except for this one:

The only reason it's interesting is that the notes on it say that it was painted that way by particular request from GRRM. Is this some indication that Melissandre is going to become a wight? Or am I :spergin: too hard here?

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
I'm pretty sure you just won the game of thrones.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Mnemosyne posted:

Speaking of :spergin:...

I was looking at the site that makes the ASOIAF miniatures, and I noticed something sort of strange on the page of Melissandre figures. All of them are painted predictably red, except for this one:

The only reason it's interesting is that the notes on it say that it was painted that way by particular request from GRRM. Is this some indication that Melissandre is going to become a wight? Or am I :spergin: too hard here?

That's her shiny version. They are extremely rare, so make sure to always bring enough Pokéballs in case you run into one in a patch of tall grass.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

A Song of Fire and Wights

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
WIGHT PRIDE

Jon and her are going to toss Stannis into the fires, they're gonna turn to ice and everyones gonna go "ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it was actually an ICE god" and then poo poo gets real in ASOIAF

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I have seen the glory of the stomping at the Wall,
We washed ourselves in Stannis' blood and watched his banners fall,

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

Why does everyone make a big deal about Stanni's sword giving off no heat? It's lightbringer, not heatbringer.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Probably because in Aemon's ancient scrolls it says "this sword is on fire and kind of hard to look at because of all the dang heat it gives off" leading him to conclude it's a bullshit light show with no substance.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

The Riddle of Feel posted:

Why does everyone make a big deal about Stanni's sword giving off no heat? It's lightbringer, not heatbringer.

Because of Melisandre's 'Glimmer' magic, she can create visual illusions and manipulate light, it's not the real lightbringer.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Which is much more dramatic and to the point, and works perfectly fine, as well as shows how much fat can be trimmed from the books without much loss.

I like watching this happen - its tough with book adaptions at first. For example, look at the harry potter series - first movie was extremely literal interpretation, and it really suffered for it. By the third movie they were taking some liberties, and using things that just looked better in film and you get better movies out of it. It feels like they are stretching their wings a bit now that they have the following, and its working well. I liked how they did Ramsey - liked the varys/wizard/tyrion scene they added - the switch to loras makes sense ( do we really need to know about that other loving brother ). I think there were some other things I noticed this episode but don't remember.

You know - they are going to run out of material really loving soon. They are going to carve the poo poo out of FOC - there is WAY too much bullshit filler, and people aren't going to allow a full season that ends with "meanwhile... back at the wall". Anyway, they are going to be passing GRRM 2 years at the most, and I'd say much ealier. They need to understand where the loving plot is going so they can intelligently write the next two season.

OH YEAH! I remember the other scene - Joffrey and Marge walking around talking about the dragons - I thought that was a great scene, fleshing out that TV relationship.

really enjoyed this last episode, and hope to see more like this.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The fifth season will end with Ned coming back, his execution staged by Joffrey to send Lord Stark on a mission overseas to stop the re-rise of Valyria!

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The fifth season will end with Ned coming back, his execution staged by Joffrey to send Lord Stark on a mission overseas to stop the re-rise of Valyria!

I always assumed Ned's head would be used for zombie gregor.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Nah, man, this is just going to turn out like loving Dune, with clones of every good character running around at random. Viserys and Drogo, why not? Ned, Benjen, and Brandon? gently caress yeah, let's get the Starkuto Brothers fighting in the post-apocalypse against the seven southern stars! Hell, while we're here, let's resurrect Tywin but make him Dornish at random.

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

Krinkle posted:

Probably because in Aemon's ancient scrolls it says "this sword is on fire and kind of hard to look at because of all the dang heat it gives off" leading him to conclude it's a bullshit light show with no substance.

Basically lightbringer and the dragons both decrease entropy within the Westeros thermal system. The Others increase entropy. Because the system must strive for thermodynamic equilibrium, an increase in the power of either side makes the other more powerful as well.

Because the fake lightbringer only released a cool light, it did not decrease entropy. Since all of the peasants in Westeros are scientists, they recognized this and knew it was bullshit.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Krinkle posted:

Am I wrong or is Loras not already supposed to be a kings guard? Has that not happened yet? It's so hard to keep track of the inconsistencies.
Loras isn't gonna be in the kings guard, at least not yet. It wouldn't make sense since they're setting him to replace Willas as the Tyrell's planned husband for Sansa, and kings guard can't marry.

Crab Battle
Jan 16, 2010

Haha! Yeah!

thornghost posted:

Basically lightbringer and the dragons both decrease entropy within the Westeros thermal system. The Others increase entropy. Because the system must strive for thermodynamic equilibrium, an increase in the power of either side makes the other more powerful as well.

Because the fake lightbringer only released a cool light, it did not decrease entropy. Since all of the peasants in Westeros are scientists, they recognized this and knew it was bullshit.

Shouldn't it be the other way round? Fire->Heat->Entropy, Ice->Order->Low Entropy.

Yeah, yeah ... :spergin:

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Loras isn't gonna be in the kings guard, at least not yet. It wouldn't make sense since they're setting him to replace Willas as the Tyrell's planned husband for Sansa, and kings guard can't marry.

Which is why Tywin is going to ask him to be a member of the kings guard in court so he can't refuse.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
It's going to paint a pretty different picture of the Tyrells either way, since in the books they were genuinely trying to help Sansa in the least committal way possible (marrying her to the crippled brother), and in the show they're either genuinely going to attempt to marry her Loras (who could probably do a hell of a lot better than the daughter of a family in open rebellion that's about to pared down considerably) which would imply that the Queen of Thorns crazy altruistic, or they're banking on Loras getting into the Kingsguard. I doubt that having Loras be a Kingsguard member would be that big a chip in Highgarden's pile so I feel like it's leaning more towards the former.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
Well, in the show they seemed to draw the clear line that Sansa is basically the key to the north once Robb gets murdered, and since the Tyrells are now aligned with the Lannisters they can probably help speed that along. I get the sense that in show world it's less about Sansa and more about wanting their daughter to be queen and their son to be married to the heir to Winterfell. I can't remember if that was implied in the books, but I don't think it's altruism in the show.

If so it makes me wonder like El Hefe said if Tywin is going to suss it out and gently caress them over with Loras in the Kingsguard overtly, making everything a bit more obviously political.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
That's a good point. After all, Tyrion marrying Sansa does kind of accomplish that same goal for the Lannisters. It just seems like Winterfell is valuable but not valuable enough to "spend" Loras on, which is why it makes sense in the books for them to marry her to the crippled brother. Not that I'm against paring down the extended family, of course. I guess maybe I'm just splitting hairs, but it just seems like they can get more power by marrying Loras to someone else, like a Dornish prince of something, I dunno.

Edit: Meant to say princess, but who knows how progressive Westeros is going to get when Margaery starts running the show? :v:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

In the books Loras is Kingsguard and can't be spent at all.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Nickoten posted:

I guess maybe I'm just splitting hairs, but it just seems like they can get more power by marrying Loras to someone else, like a Dornish prince of something, I dunno.

Jon Connington is willing and available. Get ready for the Pink Wedding.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Man, France only just legalized gay marriage. I somehow doubt the Seven Kingdoms is more progressive than them.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Because of Melisandre's 'Glimmer' magic, she can create visual illusions and manipulate light, it's not the real lightbringer.

Yeah Aemon saying it gives off no heat is probably the single biggest "Stannis is not Azor Ahai" moment in the books along with the Shadow baby (and possibly being dead now).

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

GordonTheDeadFish posted:

Shouldn't it be the other way round? Fire->Heat->Entropy, Ice->Order->Low Entropy.

Yeah, yeah ... :spergin:

god dammit its magic shut up

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

also yes i'm wrong

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

p.crestmont posted:

(and possibly being dead now).
I too was very concerned about that after the end of ADWD, but fortunately Stan the Man is alive and well in the pre-released first Theon chapter from TWOW so you can put your fears at bay. At least for a little while.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Joramun posted:

I too was very concerned about that after the end of ADWD, but fortunately Stan the Man is alive and well in the pre-released first Theon chapter from TWOW so you can put your fears at bay. At least for a little while.

But what if that doesn't line up exactly with an absolute timeline? What if that's exactly before ramsey murders him? The end of Dragons was cut off so nobody got a satisfying storyline conclusion.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

I'm enjoying the tviv thread discussion on the most recent episode. They're making fun of a guy for not paying enough attention,who claims non-book readers are spoiling it, and they're all purposefully butchering all characters names. They really are the worst.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

I Own Soulz posted:

I'm enjoying the tviv thread discussion on the most recent episode. They're making fun of a guy for not paying enough attention,who claims non-book readers are spoiling it, and they're all purposefully butchering all characters names. They really are the worst.

Meanwhile, a bunch of weenies in the spoiler thread is complaining about this thread, a.k.a the Best Thread. A pox on all their Houses, and may all their children and children's children collect Greyscale.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

Yeah they're saying this thread is just gurm is fat/lemoncake jokes all the time even though the last ~5 pages have been all book discussion.

but also this from a few pages ago is hilarious

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

"I'm going to eat your 14 year old pussy fresh after your bout of dog rape, because my penis was cut off", said the beloved character from the critically acclaimed best-selling book by The American Tolkien.

"And then I'm going to rub more poo poo on me self."

-----------Chapter 70------------

Dany just couldn't stop hosing liquid hot dook all over the countryside.

so gently caress them

Trabandiumium fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 24, 2013

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
$10.00 says the series ends with all the Starks living inside Ghost, except Bran who is now a tree. And Jon who was never a Stark to begin with.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Joramun posted:

Nice I was like 90% sure he was alive. Anyone know a spot that links to all 6 chapters easily? Googling them isn't working very well...

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson
Oh, are we getting angry at the TVIV thread again?

zoux posted:

I am so loving sick of people bitching about GRRM and Dany's storyline. If you want to spout tired echo chamber derived memes about deserts and making GBS threads and ~Daario~ go to TBB. You realize that it's not called the Bad Thread ironically right?

CumFart Gurantee posted:

The Bad Thread sucks really hard. It's a shame that the only decent discussion to be had about a series of novels is in the loving TV forum.

zoux posted:

Yeah well then we need to swear an oath to keep the Bad Threadlings north of the wall and defend the forum from them.

TVIV opinions, "all you guys do is post jokes while us TV watchers are having INTELLIGENT discussion. hey guys we are totally like the nights watch RIGHT"

syndex posted:

I feel the same about Brienne in AFFC. A lot of people poo poo on her chapters there as well because not much really happens. But her chapters are really a window into the rest of Westeros. Both Quentyn and Brienne's chapters give us a really good look at how bad poo poo has really gotten for everyone else while the main POV characters do all their stupid poo poo.

Kaizer88 posted:

Someone on Reddit did a nice mock up of Ray Stevenson as Victarion

And at the same time they are posting about how Brienne and Quentyn AFFC plots were good because they were full of aimless wordbuilding and dragged on forever, and reposting Redditors' fan casting, complete with photoshopped GoT logos.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Considering that Willas is heir to Highgarden, he's way more valuable than Loras, the second third son. He's also sure as poo poo not leaving Highgarden for King's Landing, which means he's the one that can be used to get Sansa out of the capital whereas that's less present with Loras.

(The Tyrells want to marry her off for other reasons, such as the suspicion that Joffrey is planning to keep Sansa around as a rape-consort even after marrying Margaery, which increases the likelihood of some kingly bastards and could cause problems down the line for Margaery and the Tyrells.)

The Warszawa fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 25, 2013

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
When did the TVIV GoT spoiler thread become the Walking Dead thread?

It's like the longer you read Games or TVIV, the worse of a person you become.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
Wait, what are you saying about me exactly A GLISTENING HODOR? :( Oh god, this is my own Red Wedding scenario.